• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Weekend Mapping Madness #1 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

weekend%20mapping%20madness.png

results.png

Paired minigame map

contest%20judging.png

Judging by hvo-busterkomo

The following entries were disqualified for not loading in Warcraft 3:
Xiliger & acdestinydream - Monster Madness
Kingz & Berb - Beach Brawl

The map largely felt unfinished (and no, the given time frame is not an excuse). Some game modes were present but not working, there was an inventory system but only one weapon and piece of armour, the animations looked all wrong (thrusting with a hammer), 90% of the map was unused, the leadership and trait abilities were unfinished, the hero attributes tooltip was incorrect, and the host wasn't on the same team as the other players. Instead or refining existing content you emphasized your gore system (which was special effect spam). The map took up the most literal and unoriginal meaning from 'hero survival'.
Overall: 2/10

The map idea was good, but badly executed. The map was pretty fun, but far too easy (especially with multiple players). There were also a few critical bugs in the map. Sometimes I lost without dying just because I ran too close to the edge of the playable part of the map, and the abomination would occasional get stuck behind the war golem and be unable to hook us. The entire hook concept is cool (although cliché). This map definitely has potential, and could really be a nice alternative to generic boss fights.
Overall: 3/10

A unoriginal iteration of a hero defense. I could switch to team 2 and completely bug the game. Other than that, the map was incredibly easy and offered nothing more than camping in one spot. My hero was so overpowered I probably could have beaten the map without controlling him at all. The map would require a complete overhaul to be of ideal quality.
Overall: 1/10

Not a bad idea, but poorly executed. The map was essentially moving your hero and hitting arrow keys. The map seemed to go on indefinitely and each round was the exact same save for a slight increase in difficulty. It would have been better if the hacking was varied between arrow keys, typing, and perhaps even small puzzles. The idea was original and could be fun, but would need to be implemented better.
Overall: 3/10

The gem of the contest. The idea was both original and well executed. The abilities were fitting, and the simulated motion was fairly cool. However, the combat can be awkward at times, and there were (small) cosmetic errors. Good job, nonetheless.
Overall: 6/10

The map was largely unfinished. I started with two heroes; one level 10 and the other level 1. It looks as if you forgot to remove a hero that was used for testing purposes. The map lacked direction and involved me running around and not really knowing what to do.
Overall: 2/10

A seemingly decent iteration of a hero defense. The map was fun to play and overall felt complete (compared to the other submissions at least). The atmosphere was well done, and the hero's different forms added a fair amount of tactics into the game. However, the game was rather simple, and I can't really see much (if any) re-playability. Nevertheless, the map was one of the better submissions.
Overall: 4/10

A seemingly decent hero arena map of sorts. The map had an attempt at professionalism with the Quests -> Map Info conversion, and colour modifications. However, the conversion was done incorrectly and the 'Map Info' would revert to 'Quests' when any window was open. The lumber description was changed to represent your number of deaths, but the both the icon and description still referred to it as lumber. There were occasional grammar issues, but nothing that hindered the gameplay. The terrain was fine except for the dozens of floating rocks that became distracting within a few seconds into the game. I was able to learn an ability I didn't have the mana to even cast, all players were allied (meaning I couldn't gain experience, which basically rendered the map near unplayable, which has to result in a really low score), and there was nothing really original about the map.
Overall: 1/10

'Just Another Warcraft 3 Map'. If that's not an indicator that this map wasn't properly tested, then I don't know what is. There was only one force which meant I couldn't even start the game.
Overall: 0/10

(hvo-busterkomo's Judging * 7) + ((Votes / Total votes) * 30) = Total

Aeroblyctos & Kitabatake: (2 * 7) + ((9 / 65) * 30) = 18.1538462
ragingspeedhorn & TriggerHappy: (3 * 7) + ((18 / 65) * 30) = 29.3076923
Gideon A.I. & RotundSphere: (1 * 7) + ((0 / 65) * 30) = 7.0000000
MistAssass & o0madaraa0o: (3 * 7) + ((3 / 65) * 30) = 22.3846154
Spencenator & Uzummaki.Minato: (6 * 7) + ((4 / 65) * 30) = 43.8461538
Midnighters & Azurot: (2 * 7) + ((16 / 65) * 30) = 21.3846154
[K40$]-Spectre & Hellwooker: (4 * 7) + ((2 / 65) * 30) = 28.9230769
Septimus & -Kobas-: (1 * 7) + ((8 / 65) * 30) = 10.6923077
Marcelo Hossomi & Laiev: (0 * 7) + ((1 / 65) * 30) = 0.461538462

weekend%20mapping%20madness%20winners.png

4th - MistAssass & o0madaraa0o
5th - Midnighters & Azurot
6th - Aeroblyctos & Kitabatake
7th - Septimus & -Kobas-
8th - Gideon A.I. & RotundSphere
9th - Marcelo Hossomi & Laiev

Poll | Contest

Level 26
I think you were a little harsh on Path of Blood. It had a lot more evidence of sloppy incompletion than the other maps for sure, but it was without a doubt one of the more complex and impressive of the maps here, deserving of at least a 3.

That being said, congratulations to all the maps here. They all serve a double purpose as an inspiration and a warning of what can be done in 3 days' time.

Level 37
Some game modes were present but not working, there was an inventory system but only one weapon and piece of armour, the animations looked all wrong (thrusting with a hammer), 90% of the map was unused, the leadership and trait abilities were unfinished, the hero attributes tooltip was incorrect, and the host wasn't on the same team as the other players. Instead or refining existing content you emphasized your gore system (which was special effect spam). The map took up the most literal and unoriginal meaning from 'hero survival'.
We aimed too high from the beginning, but I didn't knew we would lose so many points because of that. I don't see an unfinished project to be a problem. Even if there are 90% terrain undone and overall the project is just in alpha stage. Vice versa, I see it a project that has potential to grow. I would not take points because of unfinished, instead I would judge the fun factor, creativity and aesthetics.
there was an inventory system but only one weapon and piece of armour
There were 3 armors actually, but only 1 weapon because we had some problems with ranged weapons.
host wasn't on the same team as the other players
What, what, what? We made it like that. Is there a problem with it?

And by the way, where did we even get those two points? You didn't gave us any positive feedback.

Anyways, congratulations to the winners. The competition was fun and many projects were actually done.

Level 2
Thanks very much for the feedback! RotundSphere and I knew that there were a lot of flaws in the game. But we are now working on a new version of the original game which we hope is going to be much better. Also, congrats to the top three! I hope you all have a nice week.

Level 9
:eek: we won? well, that caught me by surprise. I personally thought our map was rather boring and unoriginal compared to some of the other maps. W/e, good work uzumaki, and good job to all the other entrants as well!

Hmmh the review has got some of it's facts wrong.
Some game modes were present but not working
Only 1 game mode was present
there was an inventory system but only one weapon and piece of armour
Actually there were a few of them in the game but the drop rate for them was rather low. Also note that if you test via editor's "test map" it will always give you the same armor and weapon at start.
the host wasn't on the same team as the other players.
The game is single player.
Instead or refining existing content you emphasized your gore system (which was special effect spam).
It's true that the amount of special effects go very high if you put the gore settings higher than default. However, the effects were just a fraction of the complete system.
The system comprised:
  • Bleeding special effects for non-mechanical units with low hp
  • Blood explosion special effects for most deaths
  • 6 separately modeled limb/bodypart missiles used in many death scenes
  • 4 different death sequences for the player character
  • 2 animated dummy death models for death sequences where character is cut in half or if torso explodes or if the character loses it's lower body and ends up crawling around for a bit etc
  • about 10 sounds & floating texts assigned with the bleeding/death systems
Just saying "special effect spam" kinda gives the wrong idea and ignores 90% of the system I think

Anyway, thanks for the review and I understand you didn't really have time to properly check the map. Oh, and gratz to winners!

Level 17
The game is single player.
If it was intended to be single player then you should have made it single player.

Actually there were a few of them in the game but the drop rate for them was rather low.
I played the map two or three times and they didn't drop.

Also note that if you test via editor's "test map" it will always give you the same armor and weapon at start.
I only played the map on multi-player.

I think you were a little harsh on Path of Blood. It had a lot more evidence of sloppy incompletion than the other maps for sure, but it was without a doubt one of the more complex and impressive of the maps here, deserving of at least a 3.
It didn't strike me as complex nor impressive. It also didn't help that it was unoriginal.

ragingspeedhorn & TriggerHappy: (3 * 7) + ((18 / 65) * 30) = 29.3076923
Spencenator & Uzummaki.Minato: (6 * 7) + ((4 / 65) * 30) = 43.8461538
The difference between number of votes and judging is way too big.
In my opinion, polls are so unfair in mapping contests. Very likely, not even half of the voters opened all the maps. Nor did I. xD

yes, high-repped people always win ...... :hohum:

I agree hole heartedly, it was basically a popularity contest in the poll.

The difference between number of votes and judging is way too big.
In my opinion, polls are so unfair in mapping contests. Very likely, not even half of the voters opened all the maps. Nor did I. xD

Yes, again, popularity contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.