• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WC3 DOTA1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
is the old Warcraft version of the DOTA, otherwise known as DOTA 1 still active/updated?

if yes, who does it and link please??

if no... AWwwwwwwww.

what features would those be?

I had a hefty list somewhere. But dynamic cooldown/mana cost reduction is the most obvious one (it is not completely impossible but it is VERY impractical).

There is just no reason to play DotA anymore, unless your PC is too old to run DOTA 2. In every way, DotA is an inferior game, which is to be expected, considering its age, the engine it runs on, and general lack of ergonomics.

Level 23
The clan i play with still plays Warcraft 3 Dota. We just play in-house with people located in the Australia/ South East Asia region due to our bot being located in Australia. Many of us have families, and just do not have the time to used to a new game (dota2), so we just play warcraft data. While i have not played dota2, i feel using the word inferior to describe it is really unfair, as while graphically it may be old, it is still a truly fantastic map that really challenges people's map awareness and ability to remove themselves from individual fights (of course this is only possible with in-house games, if we played ent many of these things would not be possible :p)

How is it unfair? I am sure an old 386 PC is inferior to the one you currently have, in literally every single way, and there is no shame or unfairness in it. Better things replace worse things, that's how it's always been. But insisting on using the 386 and saying it is in any way comparable to modern PCs would be insane.

DOTA 2 has a better engine, looks better, is easier to maneuver (but harder to play because you'll play against better players than if you play DotA 1), doesn't suffer from the "100 items in 10 shops" problem, doesn't have stupidly spaced hotkeys that no sane person would come up with, doesn't have a ton of wc3-related bugs and limitations, has a decent matchmaking system, etc. It is just a better game, to the point where it's incomparable to the original Wc3 DotA. It was also created by professionals at every level, so it would be unfair to say that wc3 DotA ISN'T inferior to a well crafted game like DOTA 2.

I played wc3 DotA and it was literally painful, because instead of focusing on the gameplay, I had to deal with stupid wc3 limitations that, again, no sane person would include in their game.

Of course you can still enjoy it and play it with friends, especially if it is practical to you, if you lack time and are not used to the new game, but saying that it is unfair to call it inferior is just ridiculous. I have almost 4000 hours of DOTA 2, and a few hundred of DotA 1, and DOTA 2 blows it out of the water in every regard.

Level 22
doesn't have stupidly spaced hotkeys that no sane person would come up with
It's not that bad once you get used to it (legacy hotkeys). Even a lot of pros used legacy hotkeys because they already got used to it. The problem is you cannot make it quick cast specific to certain abilities (e.g. only making Meepo Poof quickcast) thus you will end up using "Unit-Specific Hotkeys" but applying the same letters used in legacy.

Still play it sometimes on RGC. Dota2 is too ugly
DOTA2 is not the most beautiful of games. But saying that you'd play wc3 dota instead because DOTA2 is ugly (implying wc3 dota is less so) is actually insane.

as far as I know everyone who plays it plays on ranked gaming client

draco's dota is only a few patches behind

"a few" being 50+ minor revisions, and 10+ big version numbers, including one going from 6.XX to 7.00.

Level 33
The last and final official version of Dota 1 was 6.83 and was under Icefrog.

The 6.83+ versions were made either by the chinese mods or DracoLich. (these are not the original Dota maps)

The 6.85+ versions of DracoLich were a monstrosity since most of the features there were beyond Wc3 engine, and thus needs a memory hack.

Reactions: pyf

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Thanks a lot.
:thumbs_up:

Back in July 2015, the files I had downloaded were:
- DotA v6.83d.w3x (SHA-1: B96F8D537BBE4C3DE40F925FC7DFE5EF40517AE0)
(official version)
- DotA v6.83d FR.w3x (SHA-1: C6B64402E86890A30DAE942DEFCC22F829246F58)
(official, French version)
- DotA v6.78c AI 1.4e.w3x (SHA-1: 89567C555057BE3BF1C5EC08C7851F7D603FB84C)
(final official AI version)
- DotA v6.81b AI 1.2.0 Rev 3.w3x (SHA-1: 2B325B78864AEA462F7AF14F1EE94921C323BB36)
(a more recent AI version, done by someone else)

The download sites for DotA felt a bit confusing to me, especially to download the AI versions.

I hope that my two AI version files are safe. Maybe someone can please confirm this?

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Has anyone heard of Heroes of Newerth before?

According to MajorGeeks.com:

"Heroes of Newerth is a multiplayer online battle arena game derived from the Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne custom map Defense of the Ancients.

Heroes of Newerth pits two teams of players against each other: the Legion and the Hellbourne. Both sides are based on opposite corners of the map in their respective bases. Bases consist of buildings, creep spawn points, towers, a hero spawning pool, and a central structure. The goal of the game is to either destroy the primary structure, the World Tree (Legion) or Sacrificial Shrine (Hellbourne), of the opposite base or force the other team to concede. Players achieve this by selecting heroes with unique skills to combat the other team.

The different game modes are Co-op, Player Hosted, Normal, and Casual. Co-op matches players either with other players or with bots against a team of bots. Player Hosted allows players to customize their games and then host them to a list for others to join. Casual is similar to a Normal game regarding layout and gameplay. However, they differ in other ways such as an included courier for each side at the start of the game and increased gold and experience earnings throughout each match.

A free account is required to play."

Level 33

According to MajorGeeks.com:

"Heroes of Newerth is a multiplayer online battle arena game derived from the Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne custom map Defense of the Ancients.

Heroes of Newerth pits two teams of players against each other: the Legion and the Hellbourne. Both sides are based on opposite corners of the map in their respective bases. Bases consist of buildings, creep spawn points, towers, a hero spawning pool, and a central structure. The goal of the game is to either destroy the primary structure, the World Tree (Legion) or Sacrificial Shrine (Hellbourne), of the opposite base or force the other team to concede. Players achieve this by selecting heroes with unique skills to combat the other team.

The different game modes are Co-op, Player Hosted, Normal, and Casual. Co-op matches players either with other players or with bots against a team of bots. Player Hosted allows players to customize their games and then host them to a list for others to join. Casual is similar to a Normal game regarding layout and gameplay. However, they differ in other ways such as an included courier for each side at the start of the game and increased gold and experience earnings throughout each match.

A free account is required to play."

Yes, I have heard of it, 9 years ago.

Heroes of Newerth, back then, was famous because it is the first ever standalone AoS game and was also supported by IceFrog.

It was then surpassed by Dota 2 after Valve acquired IceFrog.

Reactions: pyf
Level 6
The Warcraft version of DOTA 2 is called DotA, for Defense of the Ancients.

When I actively played DotA, playdota.com was the official place to get the latest version. However, it looks like they transitioned from DotA to DOTA 2.

Yes the amount of users still visiting for dota 1 became a fraction of the websites traffic. So they went ahead with the community. But after icefrog went mia. The entire community fractioned off in various directions. Valve still has no idea where they want to support and where not so in time due to this uncertainty of direction, It no longer functioned icefrog's website but became another fan based website.

After the 7.0 update on dota2 a lot of the old gang moved away to other games as well.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Level 3
Links to DotA 6.83d in: Czech, English, Filipino, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Korean, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese and Turkish:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190109224250/http://www.getdota.com/
Hey, two download links for the Hungarian version? ... not fair!
:wink:

archive.org is love. archive.org is life.

i cant Object not found download

Please all languages download for me except chinese traditional, russian, english, spanish

pyf

pyf

Level 32
You requested a copy of the French version only. It can be downloaded with the link(s) I have provided.

There should be no dead link at all. Therefore please try again later, and you will make it.
archive.org (or maybe your ISP?) can be very busy at times.

Last edited:
Level 8
I would not play, but I will like it if Dota 1 is still attached to Dota 2. Solve problems of limitations such as trees of talents, etc. Because then, it would have another alternative for old computers and art styles of Warcraft 3.
If some did not like the ideology of 7.00. Because they do not make their own way (like updating the map with the ideology that Dota 1 players like).

About Heroes of Newerth (HoN). I playing it a little. It was a promossor game for me. But I stopped playing it because of excessive punishment, too many annuncers boring and imbalance. But at the time the game had good graphics, good interface, Heroes similar to Dota 1, reconnect, etc.
But when I saw an advert for Dota 2, also saw playing and testing. I migrated to it. And I realize that Dota 2, to today has the ideology of Icefrog. As I suspect LoL has Guinsoo's.

Just a pity (depending) but respect, which item Scythe of Vyse, does not homage Guinsoo as in Dota 1. That was also important to Dota.
Eul still have homage on Dota 2.

i miss wc3

Buy it or Reforged that in my opinion still worth it.

Last edited:
Level 1
dracoLich used to do it. not sure if he is still on it. he is registered in this forum and comes regularly last time I checked. things never stay still though, so good luck with your invistigation ;)

Dracol1ch is currently working for RGC dota1 maps. (idk if he working for/on something else)
He is permanently updating maps for this Client. The maps include New hero model skins, items, etc. Like at dota2.
Rgc is still very active with many people from all over the world.
The maps can only be played on that client or Single Player Mode. If anyone has a question thro rgc, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.