1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

DOTA 2 Modding Resource List

Discussion in 'Dota 2' started by Deathcom3s, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Deathcom3s

Deathcom3s

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    Introduction
    In order to spur on a bit of growth and activity in this little sub-forum, and encourage you guys to get out and try out some Dota 2 modding, I decided to throw this thread together and give you some links to a few basic resources that should help you at least get started and familiar with some of the basic fundamentals of the Dota 2 Workshop tools.

Note: I do not claim to own or to have produced any of these videos. I simply wish to compile a list of available resources in a convenient location. Credit, as always, belongs to the original creators of the below vidoes/resources.

Official Valve Resources
    Valve's Official Dota 2 Workshop Tools Wiki

Official Hiveworkshop Tutorials
    Tutorial: Install Dota 2 Workshop Tools (Dota 2 Reborn)

Basic Tutorials
    Tutorial: Install Dota 2 Workshop Tools (Dota 2 Reborn)
    Dota 2 Workshop Tools: Basic
    Tile Editor in Dota 2 Workshop Tools
    Data-Driven Ability breakdown

Invalidnick's Videos
    (While not an official Tutorial, an aspiring learner can learn by watching the typical pipeline involved in creating a map. Check out his project thread: Here!)
    Invalidnick's Videos

As additional resources are created, I will add to this list. Feel free to reply to this list with links to any resources you feel would be helpful, and I will go ahead and add them to this list.

I hope this can be of some help!

Edit: Removed the "How to install Dota 2 Mod tools" videos, as that process no longer applies now that the tools are officially part of Dota 2 Reborn. Will be adding a new tutorial soon.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  2. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wow! Thanks for compiling this thing! I have a RL friend that keeps bugging me to jump to Dota2 modding since he want someone to pair up with. He's a 3D artist so might not be that important for him but since he's waiting for me to jump then this might just start it.

3. Deathcom3s

Deathcom3s

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    No problem at all! I feel very strongly that Dota 2 may be the next refuge of future WC3 modders, and while the tools are a bit more complex than WC3's WE, they can be learned. I hope that some good, quality tutorials and resources will help alleviate the difficulty of the learning curve involved with learning these new tools. I figured I might as well help out with that.

4. Noya

Noya

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you are interested in writing custom abilities, I shamelessly recommend the documentation guide I made, which expands on the contents of the wiki:

DataDriven Ability Breakdown

There are many examples in there and some other posts of the Tutorials section.

I look forward to writing more content to get people started and grow the Dota 2 modding scene, next year will be big!

5. Arhowk

Arhowk

Resources:
    Resources:
    I can't believe i just read that entire thing o_O thats incredibly helpful though. Although, I'd add a section on interacting between DDA and LUA, you mention it but you never really go over it (i know its discussed in the dota 2 wiki but not in hella detail + examples)

6. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Thanks for sharing.

7. Deathcom3s

Deathcom3s

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Thank you! I have gone ahead and added the link to the list.

I'm going to be on my honeymoon this week, but once we get back I plan on getting some tutorials and resources put together, and I'll post them here and add them to the link.

8. invalidnick

invalidnick

Resources:
    Resources:
    Good work on the list!

9. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    It's simply annoying when the Workshop Tools refuse to work at all but the game works fine ;/

10. Deathcom3s

Deathcom3s

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    What kind of issues are you having? What do you mean they refuse to work?

11. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Yeah, well...

Tried several times to reinstall it though.

Attached Files:

12. Deathcom3s

Deathcom3s

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Well that's the most useless error message ever.

13. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    The tools are still in Alpha so.....I guess....

Will think of something.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  14. Deathcom3s

Deathcom3s

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yeah, for sure. For reference, Valve has stated that they recommend a 64 bit OS and a DirectX 11 capable video card.

15. invalidnick

invalidnick

Resources:
    Resources:
    What cpu are you running? - if you don't mind me asking, I'm using a shitty little under cutter Dell Inspiron laptop, AMD A6-series, 8GB memory, which is far from optimal...but the tools still works,
    Also, if you have the dota dir open in GCFscape make sure to close it or the the tools wont update correctly,
    PS. I guess you have dota2 installed and have launched it at least once? :)

16. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Yes, the game works fine.

The Workshop tools don't start even though I installed them correctly several times, still getting the same error.

32 bit OS

I do.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  17. Deathcom3s

Deathcom3s

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It may be the 32 bit OS causing issues. Valve has mentioned that those requirements will change as development on the tools continues, but there's no knowing how long that may take.

It's Valve, after all.

18. GreeN!X

GreeN!X

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    The tools are kinda slow atm. Compiling a map takes about 2 minutes on a brand new PC, although it was a full compile. The hang warning showed up quite a lot when I tested the adventure map. But still, this thing is really promising, it's pretty similar to how the WE works only a lot more complex. I do hope Valve improves this thing soon..-er so I can tinker with it asap.

Thanks for the links btw. I shall now read them one by one.

EDIT Sorry, necro.

19. Noya

Noya

Resources:
    Resources:
    You should just link to this Tutorial Index which summarizes all the tutorials we've been doing lately :)

Also, let me know what should the next lessons be focused on (UI? Hammer? Particles? More scripting?)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  20. Flux

Flux

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Useful link Deathcom3s.
    Hoping to mod Dota 2 in the future. I hope my experience in WE and Jass will come in handy.