• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

DOTA 2 Modding Resource List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
attachment.php

Introduction
In order to spur on a bit of growth and activity in this little sub-forum, and encourage you guys to get out and try out some Dota 2 modding, I decided to throw this thread together and give you some links to a few basic resources that should help you at least get started and familiar with some of the basic fundamentals of the Dota 2 Workshop tools.

Note: I do not claim to own or to have produced any of these videos. I simply wish to compile a list of available resources in a convenient location. Credit, as always, belongs to the original creators of the below vidoes/resources.

Official Valve Resources
Valve's Official Dota 2 Workshop Tools Wiki

Official Hiveworkshop Tutorials
Tutorial: Install Dota 2 Workshop Tools (Dota 2 Reborn)

Basic Tutorials
Tutorial: Install Dota 2 Workshop Tools (Dota 2 Reborn)
Dota 2 Workshop Tools: Basic
Tile Editor in Dota 2 Workshop Tools
Data-Driven Ability breakdown

Invalidnick's Videos
(While not an official Tutorial, an aspiring learner can learn by watching the typical pipeline involved in creating a map. Check out his project thread: Here!)
Invalidnick's Videos

As additional resources are created, I will add to this list. Feel free to reply to this list with links to any resources you feel would be helpful, and I will go ahead and add them to this list.

I hope this can be of some help!

Edit: Removed the "How to install Dota 2 Mod tools" videos, as that process no longer applies now that the tools are officially part of Dota 2 Reborn. Will be adding a new tutorial soon.

Attachments

• dota_2_logo.png
    dota_2_logo.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 17,714
Last edited:
Level 15
No problem at all! I feel very strongly that Dota 2 may be the next refuge of future WC3 modders, and while the tools are a bit more complex than WC3's WE, they can be learned. I hope that some good, quality tutorials and resources will help alleviate the difficulty of the learning curve involved with learning these new tools. I figured I might as well help out with that.

Level 3
If you are interested in writing custom abilities, I shamelessly recommend the documentation guide I made, which expands on the contents of the wiki:

DataDriven Ability Breakdown

There are many examples in there and some other posts of the Tutorials section.

I look forward to writing more content to get people started and grow the Dota 2 modding scene, next year will be big!

Level 19
If you are interested in writing custom abilities, I shamelessly recommend the documentation guide I made, which expands on the contents of the wiki:

I look forward to writing more content to get people started and grow the Dota 2 modding scene, next year will be big!

I can't believe i just read that entire thing o_O thats incredibly helpful though. Although, I'd add a section on interacting between DDA and LUA, you mention it but you never really go over it (i know its discussed in the dota 2 wiki but not in hella detail + examples)

Level 15

Thank you! I have gone ahead and added the link to the list.

I'm going to be on my honeymoon this week, but once we get back I plan on getting some tutorials and resources put together, and I'll post them here and add them to the link.

Level 3
Yeah, well...

Tried several times to reinstall it though.

What cpu are you running? - if you don't mind me asking, I'm using a shitty little under cutter Dell Inspiron laptop, AMD A6-series, 8GB memory, which is far from optimal...but the tools still works,
Also, if you have the dota dir open in GCFscape make sure to close it or the the tools wont update correctly,
PS. I guess you have dota2 installed and have launched it at least once? :)

Level 23
The tools are kinda slow atm. Compiling a map takes about 2 minutes on a brand new PC, although it was a full compile. The hang warning showed up quite a lot when I tested the adventure map. But still, this thing is really promising, it's pretty similar to how the WE works only a lot more complex. I do hope Valve improves this thing soon..-er so I can tinker with it asap.

Thanks for the links btw. I shall now read them one by one.

EDIT Sorry, necro.

Level 3
You should just link to this Tutorial Index which summarizes all the tutorials we've been doing lately :)

Also, let me know what should the next lessons be focused on (UI? Hammer? Particles? More scripting?)

Last edited:
Level 15
Useful link Deathcom3s.
Hoping to mod Dota 2 in the future. I hope my experience in WE and Jass will come in handy.

Your experience with JASS should have given you enough of a background in programming that picking up LUA (the scripting language for Dota 2) shouldn't be too hard at all. Just a matter of learning the syntax and how everything fits together.

saved i'll be using these guides soon, thanks man.

You're welcome!

Level 6
Good Day ! is there a way to convert warcraft 3 models to dota 2 models, if yes, then whats about the copyrights ??

Level 15
Good Day ! is there a way to convert warcraft 3 models to dota 2 models, if yes, then whats about the copyrights ??

Converting the models is fairly straightforward if you're familiar with either blender or 3ds max. However, because most Warcraft 3 models and textiures are copyrighted and belong to Blizzard, they can't legally be redistributed and used in Dota 2 maps.

Converting the models is fairly straightforward if you're familiar with either blender or 3ds max. However, because most Warcraft 3 models and textiures are copyrighted and belong to Blizzard, they can't legally be redistributed and used in Dota 2 maps.

What about user made WC3/SC2 models? And models made from the World of Warcraft Model Viewer? (excluding NPCs)

Status
Not open for further replies.