1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

DotA vs DOTA 2

Discussion in 'Dota 2' started by Pharaoh_, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Dr. E

Dr. E

Resources:
    Resources:
    Although, now when I think it could be because I played dota 2 on a bigger screen :/ or because i played music in steam browser (it's really bad :p )
    But really after latest patch supports have much much less win/lose influence on the game which really annoys me in ranked games. i mean the whole point of ranked games is that you play more often because when you get bored you are gonna play just to get better rank. Before I wasn't occupied with that and was only playing 4 fun. Before I would be happy if we lost but played 5v5 all the time. Now I just want to win. I deleted dota 2 because of that, although more and more people play it, but it just don't feel the same (Like in that parody of counting stars :D) now you play with no name people that don't speak english at all (I ain't saying Russians) And if you think about it, your gameplay is advancing much more slower because you play with people that are good as you, but rarely with someone much better.

2. Answer
    [​IMG]

Playing that game with friends on skype can't be beaten :) Dota 2 is too serious and competitive and includes serious imbalances, whereas Dota is running under W3, which is an outdated game.

3. David

David

Resources:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Dota is imbalanced * commits suicide *

Do your research brother. Dote 2 is serious because it's for men BROTHER.

4. -Grendel

-Grendel

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    lets put it like this:
    "DotA is for men, LoL is for boys"

5. Razer!X

Razer!X

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Actually DotA and LoL are for everyone to play. Because of the pride of both DotA players and LoL players these two types of gamers never agree on such things. If they put their differences aside maybe all of us can enjoy the game. I used to play LoL and I admit that it's just the same as DotA and DotA 2. Who knows if a DotA players plays LoL he'll enjoy it.

As for the whole DotA vs DotA 2 thing: DotA 2 will never be popular if DotA was never made. So to those who say that DotA is old and its less than DotA 2, please respect DotA.

6. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    This is worst than the Rugby vs American football fans so let's stay on topic.

I think another big problem with DotA 2 is how they adress the meta. Keeping the same old Wc3 stats formula is confusing for such games. In ARTS/MOBAs/Hero Brawlers you need to build a hero along 30 minutes. You got very few time for math so it's discouraging for new players. A thing like strength is your primary attribute and it gives damage which is based in a luck factor (dice attack system) makes the game also big math bet when you start combining everything. That systems works better in RPGs and MMORPGs where you got plenty of more time to think things through.

I know people wanted the same dota but really they could have simplified some things without taking off the competitive aspect and easing that learning curve.

Exactly. I've played both and even though I find DotA more intense, I find LoL more fun. I think people should stop the fanatisms and just play and enjoy the games. There's also Heroes of the Storm coming by and it looks like a heck of fun.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  7. Karassu

Karassu

Resources:
    Resources:
    I disagree to this.
    The reason why players bet thousands of money in a DotA / DotA 2 match is because it is so balanced. Will you bet your money in a fight between a disabled rat and a full grown tiger? No. We bet because we know that the result of a match depends on the player. It's just a matter of countering. I've been playing DotA since year 2006, but I never complained about imbalance when I lose a match. I only used "imba" as an expression. I think you only said that it's imbalanced because you only played DotA a very very few times + you liked LoL. And you judged it already. In short, biased.
    LoL is good, but I can't say it's better than DotA, and vice versa. It's just a matter of taste, and depends on what game is played by most of your friends.

8. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Exactly... No matter how good a hero is, if the skill level of the players vary greatly, the good hero can still lose. :)

Yeah, and in my circle of friends, I'm the one person tasked with developing counter tactics. XD

Also, the Thread is DotA vs DotA 2...

I personally like how it seems more fast-paced to me.

What I dislike for one is that the models seem to blend so much with the terrain that I sometimes find it hard to determine where the heroes are.

9. Razer!X

Razer!X

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    The best thing I've ever seen so far.

10. Dr. E

Dr. E

Resources:
    Resources:
    The beauty of dota was in it's complexity.With wc3 stats you have 2 lvls of stats. Agi str and int is one level which directly influences the other lvl as dmg mana hp ... Items in dota have much more possibilities should you buy pure as or agi which will increase a little bit of your armor and dmg also. To me personally DotA is so much better than other similar games due to the fact that accept action elements on which games like lol and HoS are revolving mostly it has quite a lot of strategic elements in it. Like choosing items which you should buy, and the list of items is much more interesting in dota, in lol you always go for the same build. Similar to what people nowadays do in DotA 2, and that's one of the reasons why I deleted it. Choosing heroes is also important strategic element because in dota winning and losing is determined mostly by teamplay and synchronization between teammates, and so on. While in LoL and similar games everything revolves around action and games are very simple due to that in dota accept the action game revolves around choices that you make with heroes, line-ups, items, ward placement, strategy (farming pushing ganking etc.),timing and all that which I call the "strategic elements"

11. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I completely disagree in this. LoL has the same strategic elements (items, heros, jungle, wards, etc). HotS in other hand has very different meta and is way more teamplay and strategic oriented. Instead of items there are talents and you need to make the right decisions at the correct time, you just can't pull back. Strategy involves a lot of objective control, split pushing, xp concurrent farming, map awareness (no wards, means you better watch what you are doing or keep control of observation towers), mercenary control, etc. It also depends a lot on your hero composition. Heros like Abathur are game changers in an strategic perspective. Also the fact there's multiple maps, makes it more challanging on a strategic sense. I feel HotS is way more like starcraft in compatitive side than dota, to be honest.

Second stats complexity does not make a game more competitive but more elitists since learning the game is a lot harder, those with way more knowledge but less skill can beat a more skilled player with less knowledge. True competitive games should be easy to learn and hard to master.

12. Heroes is in alpha stage, it has much to change at.

LoL is just an improved version of DotA, and D2 is an autistic child of these two.

13. Karassu

Karassu

Resources:
    Resources:
    ^ Totally biased. You're like "I like LoL more, end of story". If you like LoL, then LoL is "better" than you. But for DotA 1/DotA 2 players, DotA is "better". There's no such better in general here. If I would act like you, I can just say "DotA 2 is much better than LoL and LoL is just garbage and for pussies". But I wont, 'cause I know that what's "better" depends on the player's taste like I said before. It's almost like religion debate kinda thing, if you're a loyal christian, would you say that your religion sucks?

And how did LoL got into this thread? It's DotA vs DotA 2 zzz. You're off-topic now sir pussy cat.

14. Well, someone's salty :/

15. -Grendel

-Grendel

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    the fact that its DotA is the reason why there's LoL here.

16. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    There's no need to go passive-agressive much here. However, I agree LoL and HoS shouldn't be part of conversation unless their used as examples of improvement.

Well after all LoL was initialy designed by Guinsoo (creator of DotA All stars family). So the rivalry goes back to history. Anyways, no need to bring it in.

17. Razer!X

Razer!X

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Right. LoL is rationally related to this topic.

18. Licheus

Licheus

Resources:
    Resources:
    I never played DotA, but I played a lot of regular Wc3 melee and custom maps.

Dota 2 is a great improvement in a lot of ways. To name a few: the recipe and shop system is smoother. Hotkeys for abilities and items are rebindable. You can turn auto-attack on or off. There's the "issue order to all units". You can tab through single, unselected units. You can jump on the timeline in replays.

I miss some things that they haven't implemented in Dota 2 though. For whatever dumb reason they keep working on cosmetic bullshit and whatnot when they could implement for example: the patrol order from Wc3. The replay bugs, for example the one that inaccurately shows buffs on heroes that doesn't have them. The tab forwards AND backwards between unit types in the unit selection (this can be done in Wc3 using mouse button 4 and 5 instead of the tab key, but in Dota 2 you can only tab forwards). I would like to have the option "Turn cosmetic bullshit on/off" to have only one model and one skin for each unit like in good old Wc3. Also, I miss the old Lich model and voice. =)

I still cannot live with the fact that in Dota 2 they permanently changed the chat notifications when buying items to graphical popup notifications. Did they do that in DotA as well? In Dota 2 it is not possible for players to revert back to using chat notifications, not even through console commands. This is starting to look more like a ramble on features and design of Dota 2 and less like a comparison between DotA and Dota 2 though, so I'll stop here.

19. Karassu

Karassu

Resources:
    Resources:
    You mean the Hero items that change how they look? But to me items are for showing off. When you have awesome items equipped, players are like "Woah nice set". But yeah, hater's gonna hate. Disliker's gonna dislike lolz.

20. Licheus

Licheus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, most players wouldn't turn it off anyway. I just personally would like to have the option to play with all default models and skins.