1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Join the 6th Melee Mapping Contest for a chance to have your map featured in this year's Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Shoot to thrill, play to kill. Sate your hunger with the 33rd Modeling Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Do you hear boss music? It's the 17th Mini Mapping Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Let your favorite entries duke it out in the 15th Techtree Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Weave light to take you to your highest hopes - the 6th Special Effect Contest is here!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

WC3 DOTA1

Discussion in 'Dota 2' started by 2xbon, Jan 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. 2xbon

2xbon

Resources:
    Resources:
    is the old Warcraft version of the DOTA, otherwise known as DOTA 1 still active/updated?

if yes, who does it and link please??

if no... AWwwwwwwww.

2. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It is impossible to update it because dota 2 has features wc3 cannot support. People still play the latest version sometimes.

3. Dat-C3

Dat-C3

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah the original dota on wc3 is quite active and a few versions are being updated.

what features would those be?

4. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The Warcraft version of DOTA 2 is called DotA, for Defense of the Ancients.

When I actively played DotA, playdota.com was the official place to get the latest version. However, it looks like they transitioned from DotA to DOTA 2.

5. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I had a hefty list somewhere. But dynamic cooldown/mana cost reduction is the most obvious one (it is not completely impossible but it is VERY impractical).

There is just no reason to play DotA anymore, unless your PC is too old to run DOTA 2. In every way, DotA is an inferior game, which is to be expected, considering its age, the engine it runs on, and general lack of ergonomics.

6. tulee

tulee

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The clan i play with still plays Warcraft 3 Dota. We just play in-house with people located in the Australia/ South East Asia region due to our bot being located in Australia. Many of us have families, and just do not have the time to used to a new game (dota2), so we just play warcraft data. While i have not played dota2, i feel using the word inferior to describe it is really unfair, as while graphically it may be old, it is still a truly fantastic map that really challenges people's map awareness and ability to remove themselves from individual fights (of course this is only possible with in-house games, if we played ent many of these things would not be possible :p)

7. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    There is also this project : About < D1Stats
    However, be aware that it relies on Memory Hack. An exploit fixed in the current patch. Therefore, in order to play this map, you have to use an older patch.

8. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    How is it unfair? I am sure an old 386 PC is inferior to the one you currently have, in literally every single way, and there is no shame or unfairness in it. Better things replace worse things, that's how it's always been. But insisting on using the 386 and saying it is in any way comparable to modern PCs would be insane.

DOTA 2 has a better engine, looks better, is easier to maneuver (but harder to play because you'll play against better players than if you play DotA 1), doesn't suffer from the "100 items in 10 shops" problem, doesn't have stupidly spaced hotkeys that no sane person would come up with, doesn't have a ton of wc3-related bugs and limitations, has a decent matchmaking system, etc. It is just a better game, to the point where it's incomparable to the original Wc3 DotA. It was also created by professionals at every level, so it would be unfair to say that wc3 DotA ISN'T inferior to a well crafted game like DOTA 2.

I played wc3 DotA and it was literally painful, because instead of focusing on the gameplay, I had to deal with stupid wc3 limitations that, again, no sane person would include in their game.

Of course you can still enjoy it and play it with friends, especially if it is practical to you, if you lack time and are not used to the new game, but saying that it is unfair to call it inferior is just ridiculous. I have almost 4000 hours of DOTA 2, and a few hundred of DotA 1, and DOTA 2 blows it out of the water in every regard.

9. Flux

Flux

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    It's not that bad once you get used to it (legacy hotkeys). Even a lot of pros used legacy hotkeys because they already got used to it. The problem is you cannot make it quick cast specific to certain abilities (e.g. only making Meepo Poof quickcast) thus you will end up using "Unit-Specific Hotkeys" but applying the same letters used in legacy.

10. doom_sheep

doom_sheep

Resources:
    Resources:
    as far as I know everyone who plays it plays on ranked gaming client

draco's dota is only a few patches behind

11. Duke

Duke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Still play it sometimes on RGC. Dota2 is too ugly

12. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    DOTA2 is not the most beautiful of games. But saying that you'd play wc3 dota instead because DOTA2 is ugly (implying wc3 dota is less so) is actually insane.

"a few" being 50+ minor revisions, and 10+ big version numbers, including one going from 6.XX to 7.00.

13. Duke

Duke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Why is prefering one art style over other insane? Seems pretty normal to me.

14. Flux

Flux

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Says the guy who's avatar is Dota 2 Earthshaker.

I saw on reddit that Dota 1 now has Monkey King. Pretty cool.

15. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Out of both curiosity and interest, what is the last known version to you? (including the AI version)

16. Almia

Almia

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    The last and final official version of Dota 1 was 6.83 and was under Icefrog.

The 6.83+ versions were made either by the chinese mods or DracoLich. (these are not the original Dota maps)

The 6.85+ versions of DracoLich were a monstrosity since most of the features there were beyond Wc3 engine, and thus needs a memory hack.

17. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks a lot.
    :thumbs_up:

Back in July 2015, the files I had downloaded were:
    - DotA v6.83d.w3x (SHA-1: B96F8D537BBE4C3DE40F925FC7DFE5EF40517AE0)
    (official version)
    - DotA v6.83d FR.w3x (SHA-1: C6B64402E86890A30DAE942DEFCC22F829246F58)
    (official, French version)
    - DotA v6.78c AI 1.4e.w3x (SHA-1: 89567C555057BE3BF1C5EC08C7851F7D603FB84C)
    (final official AI version)
    - DotA v6.81b AI 1.2.0 Rev 3.w3x (SHA-1: 2B325B78864AEA462F7AF14F1EE94921C323BB36)
    (a more recent AI version, done by someone else)

The download sites for DotA felt a bit confusing to me, especially to download the AI versions.

I hope that my two AI version files are safe. Maybe someone can please confirm this?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  18. Almia

Almia

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    last version of AI should be at 6.83 now since it is a different person who works on it.

19. MyPad

MyPad

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    It's Chinese though (I suppose that's the version?), and you may experience crashing far more often.

20. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018