• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warden #42

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
Hosted Project Forum

warden-glow-2-gif.277539
warden-title-png.169522
Warden is a single player campaign with unique boss fights, puzzles and gameplay, inspired by Zelda.
ruler-2-png.249639

-Main Features-
267_1.png
Arrowkey Movement
A very polished system for arrowkey movement has been created for this project. The player can also use
the cursor for movement, if that is preferred.
101_1.png
Intriguing Story
Canon to the warcraft lore, the story-telling in the campaign overmaps covers holes in warcrafts own lore,
such as how Felwood was before its corruption, or how Maievs prison where she held Illidan came to be.
98_1.png
Puzzles, Obstacles and Boss Fights
You will encounter a great deal of puzzles that requires some brains to solve, and obstacles where speed and
timing is key. Boss fights, which are fairly common, often requires you to those previous qualities together!
293_1.png
Cool Combat
Most enemies have a trick or two up their sleeves, so you have to dodge, dance around and pick your
moments to strike in a fight rather than just right-click them and hope for the best.

-Screenshots-

Leave a comment and rating if you like it! :)

counterwardenthread-png.269474
Contents

-Warden- 42 (Campaign)

Reviews
StoPCampinGn00b
After over a year of updates, Warden has risen to be one of the most unique and high quality campaign out there. Hack n' slash + puzzles + a new story is a recipe for success. Moderator rating bumped from 4/5 to 5/5.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
-Golems can see the heroine up on the hill and start moving towards her; they can also be killed from up there while they can't attack the Warden (this happened at the edge just north of the eastern cavern); they can also be attacked and attack when the hero is on the archway (bridge)
-there's a coin behind a rock in the northwest that can be taken by attacking; not sure if intended or not
-it would be nice if barrels had a timer on them after being picked up instead of having to hold ALT or enable the show life bars option
-hitting the passive Kobolds will lead to showing a text; this text will then appear when the Warden hits any lever of the previous cave
-barrels keep freeze their timer if placed back on their circle
-some Kobolds with parasites down in the rock trenches don't come up
-saving and loading takes much time later on; biggest annoyance
-ranged Sludges can attack past the rocky rifts; because of that, the melee ones come to the hero circumventing and going through the two big green Sludges
-barrels may be used to kill Sludges that are near walls
-is the barrel near the first two green Sludges just for the LOLs? I couldn't find use for it. Those monsters are practically invincible. I just got past them with Dash but lost one life; sure there were two more life globes in the east
-clicking in the black zone where Attack, Patrol and other stuff like abilities are, may lead to something happening like showing a menu (they are made like instant abilities: C, Z etc.) or stunning :)
-what were so many explosives doing down there anyway?
-the Warden was still running when the scene with the black creature rolled and then she continued running after it ended
-the Boom in timer window did not disappear
-you gotta get real close to the thing to damage it :|

Level 26
-Golems can see the heroine up on the hill and start moving towards her; they can also be killed from up there while they can't attack the Warden (this happened at the edge just north of the eastern cavern); they can also be attacked and attack when the hero is on the archway (bridge)

-there's a coin behind a rock in the northwest that can be taken by attacking; not sure if intended or not

-it would be nice if barrels had a timer on them after being picked up instead of having to hold ALT or enable the show life bars option

-hitting the passive Kobolds will lead to showing a text; this text will then appear when the Warden hits any lever of the previous cave

-some Kobolds with parasites down in the rock trenches don't come up

-ranged Sludges can attack past the rocky rifts; because of that, the melee ones come to the hero circumventing and going through the two big green Sludges

-the Warden was still running when the scene with the black creature rolled and then she continued running after it ended

-the Boom in timer window did not disappear
Shall be fixed!

-barrels keep freeze their timer if placed back on their circle
Supposed to happen, but might change.

saving and loading takes much time later on; biggest annoyance
Don't know if I can fix this, but I'll see.

-barrels may be used to kill Sludges that are near walls
This is a good thing, as it offers more tactical options if the player can figure it out. I will keep that as it is.

-is the barrel near the first two green Sludges just for the LOLs? I couldn't find use for it. Those monsters are practically invincible. I just got past them with Dash but lost one life; sure there were two more life globes in the east
Well, you were supposed to blow them up, but I saw that I made a mistake there... :D
They will be able to be blown up in the next version. :)

-clicking in the black zone where Attack, Patrol and other stuff like abilities are, may lead to something happening like showing a menu (they are made like instant abilities: C, Z etc.) or stunning :)
Unfortunately, this is not something that I can fix. :/
This is the case for all other maps aswell. I have tried several things here, but I couldn't make that go away. I'm glad you are trying to find those bugs thogh! :)

-what were so many explosives doing down there anyway?
Well, I failed to explain that properly, but it is an old Kobold mine. They dug too deep and greedily, and then encountered this cave, stating the troubles with the sludges.

-you gotta get real close to the thing to damage it :|
Yup. That is meant to be. You must use R to get behind it, stun it and then slash away. It has a really slow turning speed, that you can use to your advantage. However, This boss is currently being reworked, as I kinda rshed it when I created it. The update should be out sometime tomorrow. :)

Thanks a lot for all this feedback!
It really helps me out a lot! (+rep)

EDIT:
Damnit, you help me out too much... :D
I cannot rep you again... :/

EDIT 2:
Updated.
Fixed everything you mentioned. :)

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
-well, knowing from the "start" that you have to follow the music is a spoiler and not a puzzle
-man, that Keeper of the Grove is insane
-the green regeneration rune shouldn't be activated if the hero has full health

I'll get back to it a little later. Decided to write prematurely because of that comment bellow.

Right, I should add a tip that you must stay under the owls to be protected. It was obvious to me, as my first map "Solen's Sanctuary" had a tip about it. I will add a similiar tip to this map.
No, you shan't. Don't make this too easy. It's always rewarding to find out yourself.

Level 26
No, you shan't. Don't make this too easy. It's always rewarding to find out yourself.
Agreed.
However, if you play the maps in the order that the campaign offers, you will already have came across an owl in earlier maps.
-man, that Keeper of the Grove is insane
Insane, but manageable. I think it is a good challenge. :)
-the green regeneration rune shouldn't be activated if the hero has full health
I don't remember the reason I made it able to be picked up while the heroine was at full health, but it was a good reason. I'll see if I can remember it, otherwise, I'll change it.
-well, knowing from the "start" that you have to follow the music is a spoiler and not a puzzle
I think it is important that the ancient hints that you have to listen to the music. If a player starts the map without sound, they might get really lost.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
-there's no real puzzle in the beginning; it's just move randomly until something happens
-no spoiling! (the nests keep bla bla, maybe if I bla bla they'll stop bla bla)
-again, no to Ghost tip
-if the Warden gets near the rock bundle (to its northern side) that has at its southern border a nest, the nest starts spawning; the distance between the hero and the nest before it starts spawning should be shorter; for instance you could let the nest spawn only a specific/few number of scarabs independently of the Warden's position but for extra bugs the distance should be shorter
-controls (z) can be skipped with Enter/Space, not Esc, not z or anything else I've tried
-pressing Q in the X hotkey menu will close that menu instead of activating the mana bar
-some sort of rest ability (cooldown based of course)? If attacked it cancels but the cooldown will still continue; the hero regenerates anyway but waiting 5 mins for that is a waste
-the catapult can be stunned
-no owl tip, pretty please
-can't the cursor be made invisible or at least shrunken?
-yet again: no fun with telling about the skellies and the obelisks :(
-those Skeleton Mages might follow the Warden back through the vertical glaive hall; LOL-ee, the creep even followed through the end of the horizontal glaive lane too and that after it came back from the dead in the vertical corridor
-why doesn't the lever near the Ziggurat stay in its dead animation after it has been hit?
-dashing disables invisibility? Because the towers saw the Warden
-when the message asking if to skip the tiles puzzle comes in the screen remains black; pressing C and then C again will resume to the playable mode
-that message is annoying; better make it a press enter code instead; the player might accidentally press the wrong letter and skip it
-I could only get 3 platforms to light up; couldn't figure out how to switch the green with the yellow to make those light up as well; all tile colours were near each other forming a big square
-the Firelord just appeared from out of nowhere

But yeah,
4.5/5.

Level 26
-the Firelord just appeared from out of nowhere
-controls (z) can be skipped with Enter/Space, not Esc, not z or anything else I've tried
-the catapult can be stunned
-pressing Q in the X hotkey menu will close that menu instead of activating the mana bar
-when the message asking if to skip the tiles puzzle comes in the screen remains black; pressing C and then C again will resume to the playable mode
-why doesn't the lever near the Ziggurat stay in its dead animation after it has been hit?
Will update this!
-no owl tip, pretty please
Haha, ok :D
It is fairly obvious anyway...
-can't the cursor be made invisible or at least shrunken?
It can! Move it to the edge of the screen to make it invisible. I have been thinking of creating a new cursor though, that might be a little bit tinyer and a little bit more fitting.
-I could only get 3 platforms to light up; couldn't figure out how to switch the green with the yellow to make those light up as well; all tile colours were near each other forming a big square
They have to be on top of their coresponding colour aswell. As you said, if you just would have managed to switch the green and yellow ones, you would have solved it.
-there's no real puzzle in the beginning; it's just move randomly until something happens
This is because this is the first mission. I wanted the player to get acustomed to the controls before htrowing a puzzle on them.
-no spoiling! (the nests keep bla bla, maybe if I bla bla they'll stop bla bla)
Same reason as above. I will keep this as it is.
-some sort of rest ability (cooldown based of course)? If attacked it cancels but the cooldown will still continue; the hero regenerates anyway but waiting 5 mins for that is a waste
I'd rather increase regeneration or add more runespawners around.
-dashing disables invisibility? Because the towers saw the Warden
Yup, and it is supposed to.
-those Skeleton Mages might follow the Warden back through the vertical glaive hall; LOL-ee, the creep even followed through the end of the horizontal glaive lane too and that after it came back from the dead in the vertical corridor
Hmm, I will bind them to that room. It is not good if the player thinks the key is to make them leave with you.
-yet again: no fun with telling about the skellies and the obelisks
Had to do that here. There were too many people not figuring that out. Perhaps I'll add an option to turn off hints though, so that player who want a bigger challenge can get that. I'll experiment with this.
-if the Warden gets near the rock bundle (to its northern side) that has at its southern border a nest, the nest starts spawning; the distance between the hero and the nest before it starts spawning should be shorter; for instance you could let the nest spawn only a specific/few number of scarabs independently of the Warden's position but for extra bugs the distance should be shorter
I will consider it.

Thanks again for the awesome feedback!
You really have helped me out a lot!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I'd rather increase regeneration or add more runespawners around.
Increasing regeneration rate would be too advantageous during battles. More/some spots where runes constantly appear would be better but it will still be a choice for abuse since an attacking enemy won't be able to stop the regeneration. A Healing Salve/Scroll of Regeneration type of rejuvenation would bring less gameplay "hacks".

Level 2
Now I can give the rate 5/5 official ! It is really awesome and I like it very much !
I once promised to translate it into Chinese version. However, I need to finish my study first, for this reason, the translation of your Warden campaign need to be delayed for some time.
I will translate it when it is around 6.7-6.8. The exam will end about that time.
And there is one suggestion: I find some scoring system in your maps. I think it's a good idea if you give a composite score after each game. Remaining souls, total damage and other factors can be considered. This score is intended to show a player's technical skills in this map.
Looking forward to your better updates!

Level 26
However, I need to finish my study first, for this reason, the translation of your Warden campaign need to be delayed for some time.
That is only good. That gives me more time to fix bugs and add more content. :)

Yeah, I ditched the score some time back, but I might bring it back again. Thanks for your suggestion!

Also, thank you for the awesome rating! Feels great. :)

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Update on my thoughts:

-please try, if you can, to disable the clicking sound that a spell makes when it is activated/used (pressing Q, W or stuff like that sounds like you're clicking with the mouse on an ability or selecting a unit)
-the Demon Hunter hero is pretty much easy to kill; the owls offer invincibility; it's easy because the DH comes to you while you're under the owl's protection and his spells don't damage you while under the owls
-stunning doesn't stop boss spells even though the blue whirlwind appears over their head
-lil' Voidwalkers may spawn after the Tree dies; let's say you've got only 0 lives and 10hp left; yeah, you got it

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I'll give this (the first four maps=/=tutorial) a 4.5/5.

And, to not just leave it as spam, I'll continue with writing that it would have been a lot more interesting if there was a really mysterious story going on that connected every map.

Level 26
Don't worry. I'm working on it. :)
I am torn between a multitude of story concepts though, and I'm not sure wich one I am going to go with in the end.
I am happy to take suggestions aswell! Post them in the development forum here in that case. :)

Thanks for that awesome rating deepstrasz! And also great thanks for all the bugreports and issues you have sent me! They have been really helpful!
I hope I can get a full 5/5 from you one day. Although your official vote already look like it, I hope you will entually be able to enjoy it like a 5/5. :)

Level 26
-please try, if you can, to disable the clicking sound that a spell makes when it is activated/used (pressing Q, W or stuff like that sounds like you're clicking with the mouse on an ability or selecting a unit)
Wot??
It is already disabled... I imported a null sound and replaced the click sound with it. I haven't heard it in any maps since i first imported it. How can this be?? I have to look into this. :/
-the Demon Hunter hero is pretty much easy to kill; the owls offer invincibility; it's easy because the DH comes to you while you're under the owl's protection and his spells don't damage you while under the owls
Ah! I intended to make him able to push you back or something like that, so that you wouldn't be able to use the owls unless he is channeling his dangerous ultimate. This will be fixed soon.
-stunning doesn't stop boss spells even though the blue whirlwind appears over their head
-lil' Voidwalkers may spawn after the Tree dies; let's say you've got only 0 lives and 10hp left; yeah, you got it
This will be fixed! :)

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Well, as an idea, every map could give the Warden an ability and/or item that would be useful in the last map or other consequent levels. As for the story, well, it's not something you can think about in 5 minutes. I'll let you imagine something as you've played games and watched movies, I suppose, and you have a multitude of sources of inspiration.
What I can suggest is that you get things straight/explicit with the story for every map and connect them/some of them somehow to have more than just the common source that is the hero.
I'm not sure if you should keep this related to Warcraft though. If you want it that way, then some lore consultation would be wise. Of course, fanfiction but make it like a side story/continuation to something from Warcraft.

Level 26
I will add new abilities over time. I have three (maybe four) new abilities that will be added after rewind. The next one will be "Projection" which allows you to leave your body and explore in a ghostly form with the ability to see invisible unis. More about that later.

Another common thing for all the maps is the soul gem that has been attached to the wardens chest. I have a story revolving around that. I will post a story layout in the development thread later and send you a VM about it so that we can discuss it further. :)

I'm planning to make the story happen either before the 10000 years that Maiev kept Illidan imprisoned, perhaps the founding of the Barrow Deeps prison will be in the end part. My other options are optinal timeline (which I'm not a big fan of) or the succesessor of Maiev, as the new warden of the barrow deeps.

EDIT:
Link to the story concept.

Last edited:
Level 6
The combination of a QWE system with the arrows system is great, haven't played a lot of maps like this.

Although, the character development is slow, that +0.5 hp regen was really great, but maybe her attacks could have extra effects or something.

Also, there are monsters that I couldn't avoid their attacks, luckily they only hit 5 damage or something on normal difficulty (skeletons, beetles, etc.), for a system like this, maybe you can avoid these attacks as well.

Level 26
The combination of a QWE system with the arrows system is great, haven't played a lot of maps like this.
Thanks!
I have been working a lot on it. :)

Also, there are monsters that I couldn't avoid their attacks, luckily they only hit 5 damage or something on normal difficulty (skeletons, beetles, etc.), for a system like this, maybe you can avoid these attacks as well.
Yeah, I have been discussing this earlier.
I didn't want all creeps attacks to be avoidable, because it would be too much dodging every little attack. I tried to have it like you suggested, but I really didn't like the feeling of that, so I never implemented it.

Although, the character development is slow, that +0.5 hp regen was really great, but maybe her attacks could have extra effects or something.
I'm considering increasing all health regeneration in all maps to 1.5 instead, and do matching changes so that it doesn't get too easy.
Alternately, I'll add an out of combat regeration of 2% per second or something. :)

About character growth: I know. A little bit too slow. You will be able to unlock up to four (perhaps five) new moves over time though, but I consider repositioning the maps so you learn them closer to the start.

Something like this:
First map - no extra powers'
Second - 1 extra power
Third - still 1 extra power
Fourth - 2 extra powers
Fifth - still 2 extra powers
And so on...

The reason I don't add a bunch of extra powers is because they will easily be abused in later stages, and I would have to revolve the entire map design around what is available at that moment. I also wanted each ability to add something great new, and that I have succeded with so far.

However, there will be further power ups in the form of enchantments of the old ablities. For example:
Dash will be able to have three stacks
Stun will have lower energy cost
Hookshot will have doubled range
And so on...

Thanks for your opinions! :)

Level 26
Huzzah! Nobody can talk back to gentleman!

The next map is about 50% done. :)
All concepts on the map features are ready, just awaits to be created and implemented.
I have to terrain a third of the map, aswell.

I will not work for two days now though, as I am flying home to Sweden tonight, and have bad transfers so I won't be home until saturday or friday evening... :D

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

Truly amazing !!! I want to see more mod from Chu !
*Gives chocolate"

Level 26
Warden%20Title.jpg

WardenGlueGif.jpg

Welcome to the Warden campaign!
This campaign consists of a series of short RPG maps, each with its own unique
environment and story, but all having a similiar concept and gameplay to eachother.

Find out more by reading the information below, or discuss it by visiting its official thread.

-Features-
-
Arrowkey Movement
Instead of using your sursor to move your main character around, I have developed an arrowkey movement system.
This is enchanced further by also having a dash button, allowing you to move forward with bursts of speed.

Hotkey Combat
The Dash ability is included in the hotkey combat. You attack with Q, dash with W and stun nearby enemies with E.
In some maps, you may unlock a special ability that places itself on R aswell.

To Learn more about how to play the game, click here.

Special Encounters
Thanks to the special movement and combat system, this maps can present unique enemy encounters, making it vital to
dodge, dance around and pick your moments to strike in a fight rather than just right-click them and hope or the best.

Puzzles
I have made sure to include many puzzles and various obstacles in the game in order to not having to rely solely on
combat to make the game interesting. Most of the puzzles requires patience and hard thinking to figure out, while
the obstacles often require good movement and timing.
arrowKeys-300x205.png

maiev_shadowsong_by_blackfang9-d7gbrks.png
-Story-
-
Maiev Shadowsong has set off on a mission to capture Illaden, leaving the Barrow Deeps to its fate. The prison is in
bad shape after Tyrandes raid. The gates are broken, the walls crumbling, and the sentrys slaughtered. With one
exception. In the corridor leading to Illadens former prison, a lone sentry lies passed out, left for dead.

Shalis Darkhunter awakened with a gasp for air. Her vision was blurred, her head spinning. Succesfully focusing her
eyes she saw the broken gate leading to Illadens chamber. She blinked hard a few times before putting a hand to
the floor, trying to raise up. A sharp pain in her side forced her down to the floor again. She groped down her
waist, finding an arrow buried deep. Closing her eyes, she grabbed the arrow tightly and jerked it out. Exhaling
deeply, she opened her eyes again and examined the bloody arrow in her hand. Her grip tightened, making the
blood pour between her fingers.

"Tyrande..."

Slowly crawling through the dark corridors of the prison, she counted the bodies of her fallen sisters, making her
way to the healing chambers. Drinking from the healing waters of the fountain, she felt life return to her body.
A few minutes later, she was fully healed, and knew what was needed to be done. Restore the Barrow Deeps Prison,
and fill its cells with wicked creatures.

"Azeroth is filled with beings too power-hungry for the wellbeing of this world. I pledge my life to be their judge,
captor and warden."
-Shalis Darkhunter, the new Warden of the Barrow Deeps

-Finished Maps-
Below there are links to each independent map of the project.
Click the pictures to get to the respective maps thread and download link.

A non-cropped in-game picture.
The UI has been completely replaced with a black screen.
NewUIPreview.jpg

The campaign custom glue screen:
Warden%20Glue.jpg

Shalis%201.jpg

Shalis%202.jpg

Shalis%203.jpg

Shalis%204.jpg

Shalis%205.jpg
BB%201.jpg

BB%202.jpg

BB%203.jpg

BB%204.jpg
Forest%20Temple%201.jpg

Forest%20Temple%202.jpg

Forest%20Temple%203.jpg

Forest%20Temple%204.jpg
This is a section where I list nice feedback I recieve from players.

"Man, was I pleased to try this out! This is a true breath of fresh air in Warcraft." -SpasMaster
"This is a very refined mod. It has all the aspects working together like a symphony of precision and simplicity." -Legal_Ease
"A challenging and innovative game." -Ardenian
"Overall, this campaign is fantastic..." -Shadow Fury
"Excellent idea, storyline and music choice." -Mgeterno11
"Your map is a lot of fun, and really well done!" -Emm-A-
"The terrain and scenery looks absolutely amazing." -Remixer
"This map has plenty of very neat editor tricks for creating interesting terrain." -Kino
"I love the custom interface, and the smoothness of the movement system aswell." -Wisdom
"The systems, the narration, the puzzles the mood, and the gameplay are on point." -Wareditor
"I enjoyed it very much. Controls are easy. Terrain, musics and the atmosphere is really appealing." -Victarion
"Maps were very visualy appealing and the gameplay part of the map design was deep." -JesusHipster

Level 5
Yep... from what I heard here it's a mysterious problem that some people have in some maps/campaigns and no one knows how to fix it :/ anyways I'm pressing the download button now and hoping it doesn't happen DX

Level 14
So I finished up Solen's Sanctuary, and I gotta admit I loved it overall, after being my second playthrough it it felt so short though :D probably because I cleared the areas I did last time much faster than back then, I also proudly solved the last puzzle (Took me about 20 minutes).

Solen seemed kind of easy granted that I can dash away from him forever pretty easily until I find out how to beat him, maybe his speed was a little too slow?

His attack phases were pretty right on the spot though, pretty intense overall, as long as he isn't just chasing me down to ground-attack me.

Also, I am pretty sure that after finishing the last puzzle, while I was killing those firelord minions, the screen blinked for a moment, like when it was asking me to skip the color tile puzzle, only that it didn't bring any dialog, just a very quick fade filter blink, so I assume the trigger reminder wasn't fully deactivated yet, it didn't show back after that though.

Still, going to try the next dungeon now c:

Level 26
Sweet!
You are the third person (that I've heard about) that actually cleared that puzzle! Great job! :D

Well, Solen is one of the most balanced bosses in my opinion. Since Solen's sanctuary is a generally pretty easy map, apart from the puzzle, I think he fits perfect.
However, I am considering to add a bonus map, containing all the bosses, but their harder versions. The same thing with the puzzles and such, so that the people that thought it wa to easy can go back and really master the level. Not sure about ewhen I will do that in that case though. :)

Also, I am pretty sure that after finishing the last puzzle, while I was killing those firelord minions, the screen blinked for a moment, like when it was asking me to skip the color tile puzzle, only that it didn't bring any dialog, just a very quick fade filter blink, so I assume the trigger reminder wasn't fully deactivated yet, it didn't show back after that though.
Thanks!
I'll fix this asap.