• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III: Retrospect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though it's only been more than a year since its release, I hope to discuss about the Reforged. Has it grown on you despite forcibly wanting you to play the Reforged and not The Frozen Throne? How many players toggle the HD textures? Was the implementation of a female counterpart for certain units a good route? Alternate look for campaigns--all that business... I am not trying to initiate a flame war here, and I hope the users who would like to leave comments in this thread not start anything bad.

Level 2
Buy reforged to play the New Campaign with new lore.
To play the classic campaign with new graphics.
To create and play custom campaigns.

The first they will never create.
The second not because they edited the original camopaña and filled it with half-baked things that make it lose all the magic and so many bugs it had at the beginning that I already lost interest.
And the personalized campaign system has not returned us yet.

I do not know what to do now. When it comes to the hobby of Warcraft III modding, I am a changed man. I spend less time doing creative works and more time interacting with others online in communication systems like this one.
I had hoped Reforged would be better received. I did not care much either way, because the old versions of Warcraft III are not an online game and work on my computer and will continue to work ad infinitum. So, any new technology created for Reforged would be a net positive. And much, much new technology was created. I have great memories playing 1.31 (Reforged prepatch) online with a friend, but after Reforged came out my life situation changed due to the pandemic and I stopped playing Warcraft III with my internet friend. I think I played online with him once in 2020, or maybe twice.

I tell my friend I want to stop communicating with anyone online about Warcraft III modding and leave. I say it over and over across weekends and months. It's not because I do not enjoy Warcraft III as a hobby. It is because I begin to absorb the irrational feeling that I should not have hobbies. I should live for the sense of progress alone, even though I cannot describe what I am progressing towards. At the least, perhaps I would be guided by a sense of self preservation to never touch video game related topics or activities after a certain hour in the evening.

I told my friend how things were going to go with Reforged. This quote is from 03/23/2019:

Everything they see and everything they encounter reminds them that they are right about their understanding, that money is king, and they get more money if they have more data, so data is king. They need to amass the largest amount of data possible, and feed it to the AI, so that they will get even more money.

This is the obvious evolution of the artificial intelligence companies even if it has not happened yet.

Eventually, given enough time and money, one of them is going to find and pay someone who is actually able to make a computer as smart as a human. Or, perhaps a simpler device that is more smart than a human but lacks all of the baggage and additional processing regarding socializing, making friends, developing a sense of what is right and wrong, or any such thing.

Instead, the machine will be only a simple incarnation of their iron will to make more money. It will have a thousand hard drives that could store the entire human genome a million times over, and any task it is given it will learn to accomplish.

So they will give it tasks that make the most money. "Make the people want more soda. Make the people want to watch more videos. Make the people elect my buddy Josh for president."

The human body is not capable of dealing with a superior intelligence, so, under the influence of such a machine, all of the people will do as they are commanded.

It's not a question.

When we get to that point in time, one of their commands might involve something that stops all of the people from playing Warcraft 3. Possibly a command like, "Make the people watch more videos."

And then nobody other than the irrational people who actually cannot be modified by any external sources will play Warcraft 3, so it will be left to a very small group of people

And nobody will know why. Maybe some of the people will miss Warcraft 3, but all of the people who subscribe to the normal, standard, measurable ways of being will not play the game, because they are not serving the AI when they do.

Obviously they will have no idea that the AI knows this much, and have no idea that it is that powerful, but that doesn't matter. They do not have to know what it wants to be doing what it wants.
I think this description from before Reforged is pretty on par. It describes the situation pretty well -- at least how I see it. It has come to pass as expected.
Many people are manipulated to play less Warcraft III. "Maybe some of the people will miss Warcraft 3." You can quote me as having said that on 03/23/2019 if you find it comedic, although to quote that sentence alone would be very out of context.

Reforged is quite beautiful. I am sure it took an incredibly long time to create and ridiculous long numbers of man hours that will scarcely ever be appreciated for what they were. However, the lofty goals and extensive code refactors leave us with a Warcraft III engine that is really splitting at the seams. Every time I think about it, I wish that some how, some way, some day I would get access to the 2002 Frozen Throne game's source code to build my own mod. My own Reforged. I know C++, and if I had that program code, I could do many things. What I would do is not more "right" than Reforged. This is quite likely subjective. In my Warcraft III modding, I enjoyed quantity over quality. By extension, HD graphics are contrary to my goals because they are an increase in quality. So I would have built something different, maybe a game system where users could build more game mods with less time instead of less game mods with more time. Why have Chronicles of Second War with beautiful art if I could have script kiddies building a thousand custom campaigns with the 2002 graphics and custom rehashes of them?

"What exactly is Warcraft III to you?"

Reforged causes us to ask this question, which is amazing and insightful. However, it does not provide the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.