• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III: Reforged Patch 1.34.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61

Blizzard said:

Warcraft III: Reforged Patch Notes

Version 1.34.0

Clans

• Players can now create and join a Clan.
  • The Clan option is accessible via the social tab.
  • Members of Clans will have the following ranks:
    • Tauren Chieftan
    • Shaman
    • Grunt
    • Peon
  • Players at the Chieftain and Shaman rank will have the option to kick, promote, or ban clan members.
  • Clans will have their own unique Clan channel.
  • Player Profiles now display your Clan, Rank, and Clan Tag.
  • Players’ Clan tags are displayed in Social Menus and Chat.
Player Reporting

• This update adds automated player reporting to the game.
  • Players can now report others for: Language, BattleTag, Clan Name, Clan Tag, Clan Description, Clan Message of the Day, Clan Chat, Cheating, Game Name, Offensive Content, or Gameplay Sabotage.
Custom Games

• Added Join-by-Name functionality.
    • Players can join games by typing in the game name in the text box at the bottom of the Custom Game list.
Bug Fixes and Improvements

• Matchmaking backend processing has been improved for team games.
  • Added an information screen that explains ranked play in-game.
    • This can be accessed via the “I” icon in the Versus menu.
  • Chat refreshes properly when switching accounts.
  • Improved right-click context menu consistency to support Report Players, Invite to Team, and Invite to Clan.
  • Added a notification indicator on Social button when you receive a request.
  • Various visual improvements to ranked badges.
  • Various visual UI/UX improvements to the Leaderboard.
  • Player Profile can now be accessed from the main menu and single-player screens.
  • Player battletag numbers are now visible everywhere.
  • Visual improvements to the match history screen.

Last edited:
Level 14
Whatever I fixed in my map to not crash in 1.33 is now crashing in 1.34, which is funny. Plus, frame natives that were fine in 1.32 are still busted (my bet is they will never be fixed, hope I'm wrong). At this point, none of these issues are worth investigating.

The future for ambitious projects on retail looks to be mostly dead given the platform instability (who knows what else they will break then ignore in future updates). I personally get irked by the thought of having to maintain and develop for older client versions. All of which is sad, I had a secret project in pre-production but its fate was more or less determined by this patch.

I don't usually whine, but the state of this title 3 years later, after it was fine the way it was for almost 2 decades—plus mostly stable at one point post-remaster—is truly an embarrassing feat for a company as big as Activision Blizzard.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
Such a shame, they add missing features that should've been there from the start and at the same time they remove/break a bunch of other features that are far more important. It's one step forward, two steps back with every patch.

I just hope Stormgate delivers, beta starts next year! That CliCli project looks neat as well.

Don't forget that Warsmash takedown was a hoax and even if you hate me you can go download 1.29.2 backup on Hive, download Warsmash as the launcher for your game, then click on the gaming network multiplayer button in Warsmash (currently loading the text "Battle.net" from the old client UI files if you use that) and then it will let you host custom maps to play with other people on warsmash.net. You could use it as a holdover until Hive makes their own version of 1.29.2 available with the Reforged map support (lua, frame natives, etc)

Warsmash supports opening some 1.32 SD maps if you host those, but not 1.33 maps. So to play 1.33 maps you probably need to wait for the Hive wc3 version thing in the next couple months

In general to get 1.32 maps to work on warsmash you might need to add the newer common.j/Blizzard.j as local files. Warsmash has no desync checking so it'll just let you do it.

Edit: Using Warsmash as a holdover is sort of a joke. Too many bugs. Maybe Im just saying how I wish it was even if it isnt. You do you.
But on my system... if its bugged... I can fix it. :p

Last edited:
Level 2
So they wasted time with some automated reporting? Where are custom campaigns?
It's almost 2023 and it seems like I will be fine with my 11 years old laptop for another year.

Level 24
So they wasted time with some automated reporting? Where are custom campaigns?
It's almost 2023 and it seems like I will be fine with my 11 years old laptop for another year.
Probably coming in the next patch given the progress made in this area?

Anyway, the issue isn't what the patches add (ladder, profiles, clans etc. were all long overdue), but rather what they break and Blizzard proceeds to ignore and not fix.

Level 23
Looks like the only hope will be June 2023, when the Microsoft deal goes into effect AND Phil Spencer keeps his word, then.
Bobby Kotick was re-elected as CEO and Microsoft is not going to change that, hopefully it will, but it won't because as long as the company has money, they don't care. And I've never wanted more to be wrong.

It's truly impressive how much they managed to break their own game. It's a testament to the fact that Blizzard as we once knew it is long dead.
I've not been keeping up with news on Reforged for some years, and coming back and seeing the 1.33 and now this 1.34 patches breaks my heart as much as those broke the game. So many years of modding by so many people gone down the drain. I still hold out hope that they will fix it, but I doubt they will, if they disbanded the original reforged team. I'm well and truly disappointed, Blizzard. It's been a letdown after letdown. If I still could I would refund my copy of Reforged, especially since there is no way to play the somewhat-more-stable 1.32 due to the stupid battlenet launcher and their shit DRM. It's a lost cause.

So many years of modding by so many people gone down the drain.
Ridiculous. This is completely false, as long as we choose for it to be false. Do not give them that power over you; there is no reason to do so.

Level 19
So many years of modding by so many people gone down the drain.
Well only the last 2-3 years since Reforged and some patches a bit before... If these patches hadn't added new editor features, I guess everyone would have kept on developing on the older, stable versions after Reforged released and it quickly became clear that things would never be working smoothly on new versions.

Level 11

Blizzard said:

Warcraft III: Reforged Patch Notes

Version 1.34.0

Clans

• Players can now create and join a Clan.
  • The Clan option is accessible via the social tab.
  • Members of Clans will have the following ranks:
    • Tauren Chieftan
    • Shaman
    • Grunt
    • Peon
  • Players at the Chieftain and Shaman rank will have the option to kick, promote, or ban clan members.
  • Clans will have their own unique Clan channel.
  • Player Profiles now display your Clan, Rank, and Clan Tag.
  • Players’ Clan tags are displayed in Social Menus and Chat.
Player Reporting

• This update adds automated player reporting to the game.
  • Players can now report others for: Language, BattleTag, Clan Name, Clan Tag, Clan Description, Clan Message of the Day, Clan Chat, Cheating, Game Name, Offensive Content, or Gameplay Sabotage.
Custom Games

• Added Join-by-Name functionality.
    • Players can join games by typing in the game name in the text box at the bottom of the Custom Game list.
Bug Fixes and Improvements

• Matchmaking backend processing has been improved for team games.
  • Added an information screen that explains ranked play in-game.
    • This can be accessed via the “I” icon in the Versus menu.
  • Chat refreshes properly when switching accounts.
  • Improved right-click context menu consistency to support Report Players, Invite to Team, and Invite to Clan.
  • Added a notification indicator on Social button when you receive a request.
  • Various visual improvements to ranked badges.
  • Various visual UI/UX improvements to the Leaderboard.
  • Player Profile can now be accessed from the main menu and single-player screens.
  • Player battletag numbers are now visible everywhere.
  • Visual improvements to the match history screen.

Keep chasing the dead pro scene that moved to AoE2DE, it will work this time chaps!

Level 18
Modding hasn't died at all, its still quite strong, thankfully. The problem is its been made significantly more annoying and cumbersome because Blizzard's "official" version of the game is massively inconsistent in terms of quality, offers new features but loses old ones. So you end up with a community that can't agree which version to use, even though it's generally agreed one is worse, because it has new editor features they really like. So you have this huge problem of the playerbase being split into multiple camps when it was never, ever a problem before.

Hopefully all of this nonsense is fixed after Microsoft cleans up the company, and they fix the bugs in the official client and add necessary QoL stuff like hd asset-opt out and all the simple features and nuances the old game had, so you can play it like nothing happened.

Until then, I haven't seen any persuasive reason to switch to the official client myself. I hope the community version will sort things out in the meantime.

sad to see an amazing tool for its time being abandoned like this.
It was abandoned for 15 years until @Kam (and a few others) got somebody at Blizzard to spend a little time on it, and now that they got rid of him as an employee so that they can focus on mobile games like Warcraft Arclight Ramble they're probably going to abandon World Editor for another 15 years. How is that sad? It's more like the expectation.

What would be sad would be if you let that hurt you, and were not honest with yourself about the circumstances.

Level 21
It's sad for the unrealized potential WC3 still holds.
And tragic, that the ones in charge do not see it, nor ever will - unless it hits them right in their face.

But at least (so far) they didn't brick more stuff, probably didn't touch the WE at all.

Btw: where did the donate button go? am i simply missing it

Last edited:
It's sad for the unrealized potential WC3 still holds.
Unfortunately it doesn't have that much potential, unless unreasonable amounts of money is spent on marketing. Warcraft III has run its course and the lifetime of the product has come to an end long ago. Whatever value it still has is only sentimental value for modding communities and some people who still plays ladder.

Blizzard is a company and are looking to utilize the resources they have available to them in the best possible way. That includes all their employees, and in times of global layoffs and initiatives to cut costs they won't assign their employees to projects that aren't profitable.

Level 4
It was abandoned for 15 years until @Kam (and a few others) got somebody at Blizzard to spend a little time on it, and now that they got rid of him as an employee so that they can focus on mobile games like Warcraft Arclight Ramble they're probably going to abandon World Editor for another 15 years. How is that sad? It's more like the expectation.

What would be sad would be if you let that hurt you, and were not honest with yourself about the circumstances.
Sad that, a tool with so much potential.

Level 23
Unfortunately it doesn't have that much potential, unless unreasonable amounts of money is spent on marketing. Warcraft III has run its course and the lifetime of the product has come to an end long ago. Whatever value it still has is only sentimental value for modding communities and some people who still plays ladder.

Blizzard is a company and are looking to utilize the resources they have available to them in the best possible way. That includes all their employees, and in times of global layoffs and initiatives to cut costs they won't assign their employees to projects that aren't profitable.
Yea, I agree. The patches don't really matter that much to me, game is working fine-ish and my maps work. But reforged hasn't been in a single sale since release and the player base is not growing.

As for other versions/patches - I am of the firm believe that most people would rather stop playing wc3 than download some mod and use a 3rd party website to play custom games - unless absolutely required, as is evident by the existing, but small communities for older patches.

Players are arguably more important than mappers to keep the game alive.

Yea, I agree. The patches don't really matter that much to me, game is working fine-ish and my maps work. But reforged hasn't been in a single sale since release and the player base is not growing.

As for other versions/patches - I am of the firm believe that most people would rather stop playing wc3 than download some mod and use a 3rd party website to play custom games - unless absolutely required, as is evident by the existing, but small communities for older patches.

Players are arguably more important than mappers to keep the game alive.

I guess having a sale for Reforged doesn't make sense. I'm sure Warcraft III is elastic to some degree, but the price elasticity of demand is not high enough for them to bother with it. Their economists are better spent elsewhere, not on a product that has had a steep decline in the product life cycle for a long time.

From a corporate perspective it makes perfect sense, even if it's shitty. The people who run Blizzard now have no emotional attachments to any of their products, the same way the people who run coca cola have no emotional attachment to the drink they sell.

lol @ the capitalism apologists in this thread
the copium is real
Understanding the market forces that drives AAA gaming companies is very different from being a capitalist apologist.

I think of myself more as something in between, supporting a free market economy with government interaction in certain fields, but that's another topic entirely. I simply made an objective statement to explain how Blizzard is thinking. How you interpret that is 100% on you.

I guess having a sale for Reforged doesn't make sense. I'm sure Warcraft III is elastic to some degree, but the price elasticity of demand is not high enough for them to bother with it. Their economists are better spent elsewhere, not on a product that has had a steep decline in the product life cycle for a long time.

From a corporate perspective it makes perfect sense, even if it's shitty. The people who run Blizzard now have no emotional attachments to any of their products, the same way the people who run coca cola have no emotional attachment to the drink they sell.
You're not far off but a few points:
  • Despite all the bad PR the product sold well. In the end the refund drama had a trivial effect on the bottom line. We tracked both refunds, and people who re-bought after refunding.
  • Despite the popular narrative the BNET player population was substantially larger after RF launch than 2017 - pre-launch, and remained so through Dec 2020. Based on hosting volume today this still seems to be the case.
  • As long as the infinite refund policy exists there won't be a sale. Some people have recently reported having issues refunding, however I'm not clear on how widespread this is. I am quite familiar with it though as I am the origin of the policy.
  • The slate of games under Classic Games / Team 1 was profitable. The issue was that they weren't profitable enough, specifically they weren't making at least a billion in revenue annually. This is the expectation in the company.
  • RF was the result of decisions being made to satisfy shareholders. We were protected while Morhaime was there, but as soon as he left our world collapsed. Any ongoing investment in the classic suite represented resources that could have been shifted to WoW/OW2/HS/DIV/incubation projects. Blizzard has had enormous trouble retaining talent, and has in my opinion purged too many high-value employees explicitly or through stagnation. Several thousand have been terminated, or driven out for various reasons, since 2017. A near totality of RTS/MOBA talent has departed.
  • The recent patches are largely leftover work from 2019/2020 that has been worked on to some degree using borrowed resources. The reason they aren't actually fixing any bugs is because they don't want to invest in doing so. To be clear I believe they are launching these patches simply to satisfy the promise of "multiple patches this year". I have some hope they will hire an outsoucing company next year, however without any understanding of the game I am unsure if they could achieve net gains in product quality and stability. The rushed Zoom feature ignored custom games, which is not a positive sign at all. The current state of the game is, from my perspective, shockingly bad. There appears to be no interest in fixing critical issues such as Mac support seemingly ending, Rexxar being hardlocked, or the game cache issues which affects all game modes. I don't recall a Blizzard game ever being in such a poor state before in terms of high priority bugs. Poor design, poor performance? Sure, WoD was a thing. Three years out the game is nearing abandonware status.

Last edited:
specifically they weren't making at least a billion in revenue annually.

I found this video on my backup drive where I might've solved your problem...
Although I guess it might have also hastened my decline towards public shame and wanting to leave all this behind...

Level 4
You're not far off but a few points:
  • Despite all the bad PR the product sold well. In the end the refund drama had a trivial effect on the bottom line. We tracked both refunds, and people who re-bought after refunding.
  • Despite the popular narrative the BNET player population was substantially larger after RF launch than 2017 - pre-launch, and remained so through Dec 2020. Based on hosting volume today this still seems to be the case.
  • As long as the infinite refund policy exists there won't be a sale. Some people have recently reported having issues refunding, however I'm not clear on how widespread this is. I am quite familiar with it though as I am the origin of the policy.
  • The slate of games under Classic Games / Team 1 was profitable. The issue was that they weren't profitable enough, specifically they weren't making at least a billion in revenue annually. This is the expectation in the company.
  • RF was the result of decisions being made to satisfy shareholders. We were protected while Morhaime was there, but as soon as he left our world collapsed. Any ongoing investment in the classic suite represented resources that could have been shifted to WoW/OW2/HS/DIV/incubation projects. Blizzard has had enormous trouble retaining talent, and has in my opinion purged too many high-value employees explicitly or through stagnation. Several thousand have been terminated, or driven out for various reasons, since 2017. A near totality of RTS/MOBA talent has departed.
  • The recent patches are largely leftover work from 2019/2020 that has been worked on to some degree using borrowed resources. The reason they aren't actually fixing any bugs is because they don't want to invest in doing so. To be clear I believe they are launching these patches simply to satisfy the promise of "multiple patches this year". I have some hope they will hire an outsoucing company next year, however without any understanding of the game I am unsure if they could achieve net gains in product quality and stability. The rushed Zoom feature ignored custom games, which is not a positive sign at all. The current state of the game is, from my perspective, shockingly bad. There appears to be no interest in fixing critical issues such as Mac support seemingly ending, Rexxar being hardlocked, or the game cache issues which affects all game modes. I don't recall a Blizzard game ever being in such a poor state before in terms of high priority bugs. Poor design, poor performance? Sure, WoD was a thing. Three years out the game is nearing abandonware status.
Who is really to blame for Reforged being in such an abandoned state? Bobby Kotick? Or has the company's philosophy changed so much that classic games are no longer financially interesting?

What needs to change for this situation to improve? Can Microsoft do anything when take over? :peasant-thinking:

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Who is really to blame for Reforged being in such an abandoned state? Bobby Kotick? Or has the company's philosophy changed so much that classic games are no longer financially interesting?

What needs to change for this situation to improve? Can Microsoft do anything when take over? :peasant-thinking:
Most big companies these days are so blinded by their shareholders that they ignore their consumers. They only understand cold cash, and innovation is often seen as a waste of resources or an unnecessary risk. What it would really take is to allow games like WarCraft 3 to be sold off to companies that would actually give a damn about them.

Level 19
People who expect Microsoft to magically turn the tide obviously missed the past decade of Microsoft forcefully trying to subscriptionize their outdated business models, move everybody to their exclusive ecosystem (force you to hold hands with Xbox), connect you to their cloud and add microtransactions to the game while not touching the old porcelain (Minecraft Bedrock Edition vs Java Edition).
Warcraft 3 is an old-school RTS that you cannot bring to mobile or Xbox.

I love the update, hopefully the custom game lobby list will be fixed in major update 1.40, once they find someone who can edit CSS. I heard there's a worker shortage in the USA, so this narrow skillset may not be easy to find on the job market, with all the hardcore engineers flocking to Twitter and average Starbucks fans flooding the Linkedin vacancies.

Level 4
People who expect Microsoft to magically turn the tide obviously missed the past decade of Microsoft forcefully trying to subscriptionize their outdated business models, move everybody to their exclusive ecosystem (force you to hold hands with Xbox), connect you to their cloud and add microtransactions to the game while not touching the old porcelain (Minecraft Bedrock Edition vs Java Edition).
Warcraft 3 is an old-school RTS that you cannot bring to mobile or Xbox.

I love the update, hopefully the custom game lobby list will be fixed in major update 1.40, once they find someone who can edit CSS. I heard there's a worker shortage in the USA, so this narrow skillset may not be easy to find on the job market, with all the hardcore engineers flocking to Twitter and average Starbucks fans flooding the Linkedin vacancies.
I know that Microsoft isn't going to miraculously save Reforged. To think that way is a very naive reasoning.

What I meant was that in light of Xbox Game Studios' treatment of the Age of Empires series, I figured they might see StarCraft and WarCraft as more than just old school stuff. :peasant-thumbs-up:

Level 11

Microsoft definitely won't do anything to improve warcraft III.
i read about this a lot on which they are omitting from the news

The head of the FTC not only works for the Demoncrat party, it is part of biden's internal circle at dc, but it is also looking for bribes using the anti trust as bluff, which they can't even apply to ms because they did nothing wrong, also the sheer hipocrisy because disney was the one sthey should be looking at but they wont. Also said person is friends with Jim Ryan and the sony board, they even tried to hit Nintendo who had nothing off this involved too.

This ofc pissed off the highest board at MS, in fact this reached the ears of the Indian CEO who not only has an army of good lawyers to screw FTC over in their own game and even the government since MS can turn the key to shown them who is the boss, but also proofs of they trying to bribe MS to buy activision with tons of unnecessary concessions to get money off them with plain simple corruption.

in the end, MS will win this, they got all the card and all hands on deck, and this entire situation has shown the sheer hipocrisy of the FTC and even Sony who used this before to screw the competition.

Level 19
Well duh, in the EU and even more in the US the supposed regulator will agree with whatever the megacorporations want, the only question is which one has the best lobbying/ex or future employees in key positions.
I suppose Microsoft is way more influential than Sony in the US, and they certainly have made sure not to get the same antitrust treatment they got in the 90s.

In any case, IF Microsoft want to make a Warcraft 3 Definitive edition like AoE2, it will take them a few years to find a team and develop it if it's not a quick cashgrab.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Of course the head of the FTC is a Biden-appointed Democrat. That's how Federal seats work. The staff are always appointed by the incumbent president.

As for bribery (I know a thing about this topic) almost everyone in politics is a crook. Very few are in it for the actual people. Best thing I can recommend is to give up trying to pit one party against the other and realize the only way to reduce corruption is to use either a ranked voting system or an anti-vote system, but the corporations called DNC and RNC would slaughter any such proposal.

Level 11
Of course the head of the FTC is a Biden-appointed Democrat. That's how Federal seats work. The staff are always appointed by the incumbent president.

As for bribery (I know a thing about this topic) almost everyone in politics is a crook. Very few are in it for the actual people. Best thing I can recommend is to give up trying to pit one party against the other and realize the only way to reduce corruption is to use either a ranked voting system or an anti-vote system, but the corporations called DNC and RNC would slaughter any such proposal.
seeing how twitter's latest stuff thanks to elon seems to have start giving companies a backbone.

i may not be surprised if MS decides to screw both over with the power they have, i can imagine the tons of dirty stuff ms have in hands.

Last edited:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Added support to play custom movies under Warcraft III/Movies (file format dependant, vp9 encoded avi file + mp3 for audio under Warcraft III/Movies/Audio).

Level 5
Feeling like a parent who's child just learned to walk at the age for 4 years...
- It's good that it did but it's so f'ing late! xd
Still... better late then never, slightly better... :] Hopefully they don't somehow break the game completely in the process.

Last edited:
Level 21
Some interesting changes there!
  • Blademaster Mirror images now do 10% of the Blademaster’s base damage. (about time)
  • Animated Dead corpses can now be killable and have diseased cloud if researched. (cool)
  • Ghoul Frenzy now adds 30HP to ghouls’ base health. (about time)
But what on earth is this?
  • Siege Engine now has heavy armor.
  • Siege Engine can now attack units. ???
  • Siege Engine base damage reduced from 44 to 22.
  • Siege Engine barrage damage increased from 14 to 16.
This patch warrants its own thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.