Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft III: Reforged Developer Update – Ranked Play

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Mythic, Jul 22, 2020.

1. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Don't give them ideas...
    I mean yeah. I virtually sign (not technically even that) the EULA and promise I won't sell the map :D but that don't mean I won't make a game out of it if I can or that it shouldn't be allowed, legally.
    Imagine that if the author stops updating the map or worse makes sure it gets taken down from most sites, the only option left for Blizzard to have a player base for that particular map is for other people to edit it and that's where/when map protection works best. Even if the map is unprotected, probably many would lose interest because of many others trying to make their own version out of it. There's so many such maps like Green TD because the original author(s) just stopped updating and I don't think every version of such maps get the necessary attention. Maybe some have the luck for it.
    Blizzard has the interest of keeping map authors in the game so that Warcraft III would get the attention. DotA could only be played via Warcraft III. Not anymore, hence the issues besides wanting to make their own version which they did but had to probably differentiate it a lot. If only they had done what Valve has done over the years... hire those mappers/modders to work for them...

2. fenix140

fenix140

Resources:
    Resources:
    They certainly wanted to have the intellectual property of the map, but they failed. Now that you mention it I see maps that profit normally and not only in War3 if not SC 2, but Blizzard says nothing.

It seems that the company does not know what to do now, that is why its standards. But if they want current mapmakers to create their "Dota 2", they must be fair when it comes to profiting, if the mapper wants to profit this is fine, but if you want to go a step further like creating a new game, one could count on the Blizzard's help in developing this, and this wouldn't be a hassle. In the end no one loses. For that they must modify their rules of the Editor

Both are right, (Bug Memory was a flaw that allowed you to internally manage the natives of Warcraft 3, even create viruses, the problem lies in overwriting data, this is the problem).
    What I mean is that if they implemented functions that were requested a long time ago and that could be done with Memory, but several of these have flaws and need to be fixed. But such functions as complete management of all the Editor's skills, obtaining fps of a player, saving user data (Save & Load), adjusting the replays, altering the models in real-time units and terrain, etc. That was discarded, I remember that you can make a mmorpg map like this.
    I think it would be better to have a list of all these functions.

3. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  4. fenix140

fenix140

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, some time ago a list was sent with all the elements of Memory, the problem is that it is not known why of such simple functions that were implemented in an old patch and without many errors. And the rest, which is just loading and storing data, have not put it yet. It seems that it is not so easy for them to implement such functions in War 3.

5. disruptive_

disruptive_

Resources:
    Resources:
    This talent hiring method worked already for Valve (Dota, AutoChess) and others (Brutal Doom). Since it already worked and is legally sound and certain, i think it will be the way of doing things for Blizzard, should some talent arises from this scene again. Aren't they trying to imitate VALVE right now? Just look at that Battle.net interface. Is that you Steam?
    I also think that they are most likely not interested in custom games that ressemble their current games as this would be stupid as hell in their part.
    Trying to actually bullying modders with the EULA content clauses could be another possible move, but it is much more challengeable on an actual trial (copyright law limitations, possible unenforceability, etc), with uncertain outcomes, not to mention it will piss off everyone else (ie. users) and will kill this scene for good in a totally deserving manner. One thing is to write that clause, other thing is to actually enforce it and behaving like it exists. So if they are not doing either the hiring method or the actual bulliyng method it is because the opportunity still doesn't present for them i suppose.

The EULA says commercial exploitation is prohibited as in what section 4 of the policy says (ie. charging a compulsory price for downloading the map or for accessing more features) but allows for voluntary donations which is a very succesfull system for lots of content creators. A system of voluntary donations is hardly a commercial explotation regardless of this "allowance" but thanks anyway Blizzard. Maybe one day WC3 gets the system of SC2 in where Blizzard gives additional licenses (and kind of a sponsorship) to some dedicated authors and projects.
    Since we are creators, we can also publicly display our custom games on websites, adapt them to other engines, etc. I'm talking about the game itself, not the assets used. If you want to be legally sure of your status regarding Blizzard's assets (ie. most of use icons, models, skins of Blizzard in our maps) remember that when you sign the EULA and the Policy, Blizzard allows you to "use" the Editor which is a tool that is used to modify a Blizzard game. Just remember to give proper attribution (credits) and not sell/license things you didn't create.
    Since section 4 of the policy talks about "commercial exploitation" on such broad terms but then give a finite list of concrecte examples (sale, license -should say "payed" license-, rent, and provide extra payed services or suscriptions), i would say hosting a webpage dedicated to your map(s) and using adds for added support is also not prohibited (we can all discuss this though). Some of you are maybe interested in this exact thing.

6. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, sadly they kicked the wrong, or should I say, their own bucket with DotA and Valve got to IceFrog first as Riot Games got to Guinsoo.
    Well, in a way HiveWorkshop is basically doing it, hosting maps for a game that is not the site's and uses adds to help sustain itself.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  7. disruptive_

disruptive_

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes, Blizzard acknowledged this. Morhaime said they should've done "something" about Dota. I don't know if he was thinking about bullying Abdul and the guys or actually hiring them. They saw this a an opportunity lost because of inaction in the end. So yeah, maybe they do it all over again and we have another Abdul Ismail meets Newell before Blizzard case.

8. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    wtf still no custom campaign REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    revert back to 1.0

blizz is dead

9. LiSen冯

LiSen冯

Resources:
    Resources:
    That’s it?

10. Homor

Homor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    90% of my problems with Reforged would disappear if they offered the original game as a download in a separate executable but I've been saying that for months and nobody seems to be listening.

Then again, maybe they are listening, and the painfully slow development just hasn't caught up to that yet.

11. istvan921

istvan921

Resources:
    Resources:
    I say no they don't plan to bring back the old classic game

12. Goffterdom

Goffterdom

Resources:
    Resources:
    Only thing I want back more than anything else are custom campaigns.

I'm guessing custom campaigns are delayed because they want to make it Online (and consequently Multiplayer) such as what they just did with Sc2.

If that's the case, I'm happy to wait a bit.

But I might be over-positive about this.

But come on, multiplayer campaigns. It's like, a dream come true, an ocean of new possibilities.

Nope, I think Classic is dead and buried and they won't ever consider making it available.
    And I also think the community needs to face and acknowledge that fact if we want to have a future. Else we can just move on to other games.

EDIT: It's good to see a dense patch. But I really don't care about the Ladder. But the Hiveworkshop is more of a modder community so we necessarily are more focused towards that. Let's not forget that they might have numbers showcasing ladder > custom games right now.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I just don't want them to force to log in every time I want to play a singleplayer one.
    Hopefully, StarCraft: Remastered like, with the classic version becoming free to download.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  14. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    an ocean of bugs to solve
    for an old and notoriously known game with next to nothing players
    and no lootboxes
    like who cares about such a pity game?

15. looking_for_help

looking_for_help

Resources:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    True, but this will depend a lot on the question whether the "native" ladder can even compete with Wc3 Champions.

The Wc3 Champions ladder works already really, really well and provides a lot of nice features and statistics (despite being developed in the free time of a single guy). For example, you have live information and direct links to twich streams of players embedded directly into the ladder, a ranking system, seasons and more. Basically all european professional players use it by now.

For the native ladder, so far there are only promises of features that Wc3 Champions already offers, but not even a time estimate when it will actually be ready and working. I guess even if they release it tomorrow, its too late by now. Many players will inevitably stay with Wc3 Champions.

16. Goffterdom

Goffterdom

Resources:
    Resources:
    I bet you do, else you wouldn't be wasting your time here.

17. tulee

tulee

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think they would only do that if they thought that, like Sc1, the remastered version would be more popular than the classic version. If people prefer classic wc3 over reforged, it might be a long time before they consider making it free to download.

18. Raddazong

Raddazong

Resources:
    Resources:
    "Seasonal Rewards"...
    It has begun.
    Sooner or later, they will add Warchests like in Starcraft 2.
    (And if they do, i hope they don't fuck them up.)

19. istvan921

istvan921

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ah shit no no

20. maduroman

maduroman

Resources:
    Resources:
    i would gladly pay 20, 30 or hell even 60 dollars again to have the original game back intact and for reforged to be shelved forever, is not like anyone is gonna miss this travesty

but nope, of course this is not gonna happend, blizzard just have their head too far up their own asses to actually hear what the very few remaining players playing this disgusting excuse for a remaster have to say

they are so out of touch with everything and so obsessed in polishing this turd of a game that i cannot help but laugh at them, this game will never replace the original wc3, even if you cannot officially play it anymore, wich is absolutely ridiculous and unnaceptable, so they are just wasting resources and time just for the sake of it, nothing is gonna change the fact this game will forever (hopefully) be the worst used rated game on metacritic history and definetly one of the worst remasters of a game if not the worst ever created, so just give us the old game back and shallow your pride whole blizzard, is not like anyone holds any respect for you nowadays anyways