• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III Reforged - Artistic/Textures/UI Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Blizzard: lets order lemonsky to make the worst models ever for an RTS game and a map making community.

Blizzard to itself: that's a great idea. proceed.

Blizzard: Pats itself on the back.

Level 9
Both @kantarion and I are a part of Storm and we both know it is impossible for it to fulfil the purpose (if we do not count a miracle of 1-2 pro modelers joining in which we saw almost next to no interest since 2017, but even in that case Storm won't be released for public for 2-3 more years atleast)
Then my only hope is a remaster of RA 2 or Generals. I am sure they won't make mistakes in terms of art that Blizzard made with Reforged.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Then my only hope is a remaster of RA 2 or Generals. I am sure they won't make mistakes in terms of art that Blizzard made with Reforged.
They will probably do it but C&C Tiberian Sun and Firestorm beforehand or maybe at the same time like they did with the first C&C and Red Alert games since Tiberian Sun is basically C&C 2.
I'm actually hoping for a Dune II and Dune 2000 remaster.
Generals, doesn't quite need it since it's 3D and the difference will be way bigger as it could have been with Warcraft III (see StarCraft II Warcraft III model remakes) since you wouldn't want to see the same blocks with HD textures. That's not how remastering works even with 2D.

Anyways, the bois at OpenRA did a great job, one that EA Games didn't do, correct gameplay errors and stuff. I mean imagine, now you can play Dune II as you'd play Red Alert 2 in a way, multiple units to select, waypoints, multi training, better AI, control groups etc.

Last edited:
Level 14
As long as J Allen Brack is the president of Blizzard--this [purist art update for Reforged] will never happen. 0% chance.
EDIT:
If you really want an HD version of wc3 then you should follow the Return of the Storm mod because Blizzard only cares about mainstreamers.
And mainstream people dont care about Warcraft III, especially after whole this bullshit with false promises of making "wowified" and "fixed" version of wc3 lore wise which is another moronic decision they made and only backtracked on because they couldnt do it. When it shouldnt be a thing in the first place. All potential newcomers refunded their copies of the game after experiencing the mess first hand. They have to do it for sake of remaining core community and few new people who will try wc3 while somehow being unaware of Reforged catastrophe.

Level 9
They have to do it for sake of remaining core community and few new people who will try wc3 while somehow being unaware of Reforged catastrophe.
I want them to make a purist art patch but I think it's very unlikely unless a miracle happens. Modern Blizzard won't make something for just 100k players--they aim for masses.

Level 9
They're just resurfacing. Wait for the next remasters.
Blizzard and EA are looking at that:
13789.jpeg

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
EDIT: Also, PC games have lost their quality. For example D2 > D3, CnC Red Alert 2 > Cnc 4 etc
Sure but I don't think mobile games are any better. If anything, we're living downgrading times.

I mean, look, it's easier to cash in by remastering. You don't need to be original or creative. You just need to milk other people's past work.

Level 9
Sure but I don't think mobile games are any better. If anything, we're living downgrading times.
Downgrading, I agree. This Reign of Mobile Games also affected the art style of Reforged in a horrible way. It looks a lot like Raid: Shadow Legends, I think Bellular made a video about that.

Level 9
I mean, look, it's easier to cash in by remastering. You don't need to be original or creative. You just need to milk other people's past work.
I don't think you can call something 'Warcraft III: Remastered' if it contains skins, loot boxes, and stuff to 'milk other people's past work'. In my opinion, adding purchasable skins will affect readability so it will be as worse as Refunded.
You know that these companies add cosmetic stuff to all their games.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I don't think you can call something 'Warcraft III: Remastered' if it contains skins, loot boxes, and stuff to 'milk other people's past work'. In my opinion, adding purchasable skins will affect readability so it will be as worse as Refunded.
You know that these companies add cosmetic stuff to all their games.
Happily, StarCraft: Remastered only got one microtransaction pack as of yet, Cartooned but at least it's a whole pack and pretty lovely, good work.

Level 9
Happily, StarCraft: Remastered only got one microtransaction pack as of yet, Cartooned but at least it's a whole pack and pretty lovely, good work.
SC Remastered was developed while Morhaime was in charge. Blizzard has changed a lot since he left, Jason Schrier, the guy who leaked D4 and OW2, confirmed that.

Has this discussion kind of went waaayy off topic from what its intended to be? Real useful UI/Texturing/Artistic feedback that can be maybe used by Blizz to improve Reforged at least in some small ways?

For example changing the Footmans animations is something plausible the massive re-modelling overhaul that some people in this thread want is not and further discussions of what people don't like I find to be pointless to this discussion rather than real feedback that at least has some chance of being implemented.

Level 9
1998 - Starcraft
1998 - Starcraft : Brood War
2010 - Starcraft II : Wings of Liberty
2013 - Starcraft II : Heart of the Swarm
2015 - Starcraft II : Legacy of the Void
202X - Starcaft Immortal : Do you guys not have phones?
1994 - Warcraft: Orcs and Humans (PC/Mac)
1995 - Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness (PC/Mac)
1996 - Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal (PC/Mac)
2002 - Warcraft III: Reing of Chaos (PC/Mac)
2003 - Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (PC/Mac)
202X - Warcraft IV: Go (Android/iPhone/Microwave)

Reactions: pyf
Level 17
Well Microsoft seem to be doing the best job possible you know.

Faithful remasters with quality releases, and genuinely new features on the surface of the game, not more coding lines that only 1% of the community use.

The older games are still there, and for those who want a new experience then Age of Empires 4 is on the horizon. so no party is disturbed.

I was hoping for a comeback of the RTS genre with the union of C&C AGE and War3 remaster but that union was broken. Blizzard didn't hold their end of the deal :p

Anyway i guess this is offtopic. just wanted to tell again that doing a faithful remaster visually speaking is not magically going to make unappealing for people. the quality of Warcraft 3 however was sacrificed for over the top visuals that didn't really benefit the game. they're just... there i guess. for anyone that likes realism ... shrug. smh. confused stormknight noises.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Well Microsoft seem to be doing the best job possible you know.

Faithful remasters with quality releases, and genuinely new features on the surface of the game, not more coding lines that only 1% of the community use.
Well they changed the music of Age of Empires 1 considerably. Good thing the old one is still there so you can replace the files.

Level 14
Blizzard and EA are looking at that
Except mobile gaming is barely gaming aside of very few rare legitimate games(usually indie or ports of ps2 games like with rockstar) It's hardly a proper gaming platform even tho it easily could be. Instead it's just a mess of freemium garbage waiting simulators and extortion machines and if something happens to have gameplay at best its mimicking games from 1980s and early 90s with very primitive gameplay.
It should never be counted as gaming platform because vast majority of it is just time sinks and waste of time for people to do in 1-2 minutes short breakes while at work. It should be separate.
Only legitimate way to play on mobile is via emulation and that is within minority of actual gamers who want to play something more meanigful on their phones. And because of emulation overhead you need really powerful phones for ps2/gamecube era games

@GIMLI_2 Except there are less people to play so map makers are less likely to devote their time to this which can lead to even less people playing due to neglected older maps. Which would lead to less players. Biggest problem is with random desyncs&disconnections, and in lesser extend wc3 being now made ito incosistent mess artwise between sd and hd mode. With hd mode also causing even more instsbility and performance issues. This is what causes harm to the community the most now after previous blow in form of Reforged itself. Which drove people away from the game instead of making it grow.

Last edited:
Level 17
new coding lines that keep modders interested in making new maps, which means more custom maps, which means more people to play them. Not important at all.

The thing is, many of those new code lines dont even work XD

The map making community is 1% of the war3 community, and from that 1% the people who use code are 1% of that 1%. some really 200IQ people, and not trying to insult, seriously. some amazing people. but they are in the very minority. sure its good. but really it would be better if they improved object editor and GUI more. so the people who genuinely want to create content have improved abilities to do so. the main appeal of war3 mapmaking has always been the fact that you don't technically NEED coding skills to create awesome content. hence people can spare a lot of their time creating content without having to spare even more time learning how to code. it was always an extreme privilege of the war3 map making community that it is so open and easily accessable to the creative casual person. and not only to the super talented coding wizards.

Well they changed the music of Age of Empires 1 considerably. Good thing the old one is still there so you can replace the files.

They even allow players to choose between the old and new AI in Age2. there is a clear representation of quality and care for what existed before to transition into the modern age without being thrown under the bus.

Level 17
The map making community is 1%
it is, but the community that play those custom maps is surely bigger

but really it would be better if they improved object editor and GUI more.
you are right, they should focus more on GUI. But they also brought some new GUI functions that i would have dreamt of back in the days. However, most of them dont work currently :p

Level 1
Reforged is very nice graphics, i liked. :goblin_yeah: But, i will more happy to see new models for Reforged. :goblin_good_job: My Wishes:
Prime Matron, Vampire Tracker, Lasher (Especially Dark Lasher), Shadow, LOTR Models (Sauron, Nazgul, ect.), Star Wars Models (Darth Moul, Aayla Secura, Clone Trooper, Droids, ect.) ==> They will be better to upgrade for Reforged.

Level 14
it is, but the community that play those custom maps is surely bigger
*was
Communities centered around all roleplaying maps collapse because of desyncs and disconnects ruinning even moreof the games.
Overall number of olayers diminished severly aswell to a point where only european server is relatively decently populated, and only maps that are played are relatively fast and simple with low amount of slots to fill especially to reduce chnaces and severity of desyncs.
RF was highly destructive to the community so far....

Level 4
*was
Communities centered around all roleplaying maps collapse because of desyncs and disconnects ruinning even moreof the games.
Overall number of olayers diminished severly aswell to a point where only european server is relatively decently populated, and only maps that are played are relatively fast and simple with low amount of slots to fill especially to reduce chnaces and severity of desyncs.
RF was highly destructive to the community so far....
On the other hand, I believe that a lot of people are currently playing more Offline, especially the new generation that is joining. Despite all the inconsistencies, the new game still becomes a reference, not only because of its appeal to the graphics engine, new UI or artistic designer, but because it brought the name WC3 back to the shelves, the game has a reputation and international headlines, any relaunch can attract a lot of people, even if most are still outside of online networks.

Level 14
On the other hand, I believe that a lot of people are currently playing more Offline, especially the new generation that is joining. Despite all the inconsistencies, the new game still becomes a reference, not only because of its appeal to the graphics engine, new UI or artistic designer, but because it brought the name WC3 back to the shelves, the game has a reputation and international headlines, any relaunch can attract a lot of people, even if most are still outside of online networks.
It did do that.....in worst and most damaging way possible, way that turned away almost every newcomer from the game. It would do it for the best if it was a more faithful remaster. Minus all the outrage, issues and other mess that killed it in the water... it would ofc still probably have problems with desyncs but that would be more of the same from 1.31. and prior, while without broken menues and singleplayer or missing features... and no outrage for not meeting the promises and entirely broken game. It would just grow even through some minor growing pains.... and we would enjoy the game still in bigger numbers

Level 4
I confess that I always liked the "childish" style of the models. But I think that the new designer brought a new feel to the game, maybe we just need to get used to it. The models with a high amount of polygonal and in Blizzard standards, we have already experimented a lot with the HOTS modifications / conversions. But this is a much debated discussion, I will not go into that.
We really need to manipulate this graphics engine better, perhaps with a lighter and more practical MOD than Quenching, we also still have serious problems mainly in textures, even converting models from other games to HD form, we still find it difficult to apply their textures with the same quality.

The missiles of space marines look kind of weird in HD:

Compared to the original ones:
Wasn't there another space marine unit with a flamethrower as well or was it a custom model?
I see two space marine units in the object editor but I think in HD they both shoot the same way.

There was an Orc Spacemarine with flame thrower but Blizzard deleted it from Reforged with no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.