Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

WarCraft: Armies of Azeroth - Crowdfunding

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Archian, Mar 14, 2016.

1. loktar

loktar

Model Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You can play custom maps on bnet with the starter edition of SC2 though, so you don't need to own SC2 to play this atm.

2. oger-lord

oger-lord

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hm,
    I have the feeling a tiny bit is missing, thats why I compared the two sceenshots:
    images
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Conclusion:
    -Missing ground textures for buildungs (how could I forget them?)
    -style is a bit to much wow, wc3 comic style is unique because of harsh textures and less polygons, wow style is smooth textures with many polygons
    -color of the whole screen looks a bit too yellow

Apart from that: Keep up the good work

3. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I suppose $80,000 always was quite the stretch, wasn't it?

4. WerBackIII

WerBackIII

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't mean to be buzzkill, but I've been following the Indiegogo page since day 1, and things are looking rather grim.

I wonder if they have considered setting up a patreon page; I'd rather give $10 USD every month for an year than whoop $100 USD at once. And given that this funding is mainly for everyday expenses, I'd say Patreon was probably the better option out of the two.

5. Jumbo

Jumbo

Resources:
    Resources:
    A few points:

1. They should have made it a Kickstarter. I'm sorry, but many people are conservative about using only one platform for this type of thing (i.e. Kickstarter). Also, I think the layout and style of the Kickstarter page is a lot more polished and smooth to look at. However, as WerBackIII suggested, if they wanted to go for everyday funding style, Patreon should be used.

2. Too little advertising done. Too little to show. The Orc tutorial campaign should have been made before and branded for the funding campaign. The first mission is crap (learn movement, use a few units, blabla), but the 2nd base building part involves more story and meaningful gameplay. Also, they could easily spice that one up given the plethora of improvements from the SC2 Engine. Basically, as it is, we know that they are capable of creating beautiful models and standard melee gameplay, but the singlplayer campaigns (in this case the prologue orc campaign) are important for many people - the nostalgia is something to be seriously considered when making a mod like this. The aesthetics of a game are fully enjoyed in non-competitive gameplay after all.

3. the gameplay of the alpha has a few problems*: namely the movement of units is quite different from WC3. Units turn almost instantly, unlike in WC3 where it was a bit slower paced. This would be fine - as a modern game change - if it wasn't for the fact that it looks very annoying and ugly. Some units are too dark and it can be hard to tell them apart (some of the orc units blend into the grass textures and shrub, giving them almost a 'hidden' effect). This is completely unlike WC3 where units were very easily distinguishable. Furthermore, the unit portraits are inconsistent. Some units have closeup face portraits, while others have semi-close ones. (For one the Blademaster's covers his upper body, and not only his face)

*: I know that bugs are too expected from an alpha, but the discussed issues are, apparently, cosmetic design choices, which seem to be wrong from my point of view.

6. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Kickstarter is only available to you if you're in America though.

7. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I doubt they're getting that much. Maybe I'm imagining, but there was a project that asked for a high budget, did receive some generous donations and nothing ever came out of it.

8. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Well... I guess no one is surprised by this, but the crowdfunding campaign is cancelled.

That being said, I'd like to draw your attention to a particular part of that update:
    LOL see y'all in 2054.

In all seriousness, I hope their second campaign succeeds. They can count on my donation.

9. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    THAT soon, you're naive.
    Regarding the failure, not surprised, it's a whole lot of money for a mod.

10. Jumbo

Jumbo

Resources:
    Resources:
    For a mod that has only showed us a moderately good melee alpha. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but really with that amount requested, their current product should show a higher level of quality.

11. Jocker

Jocker

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well i see that developers cant finish both moding and maps so why dont they let other people finish the maps instead when they release the full game.I mean they create a game and a few maps after that(5 to 10) and let the people who want to play it build the rest of maps like in Warcraft 3 with world editor it will be much easier for them and much more fun for us because we will be able to try out the WE of Armies of Azeroth.Is that a litle more helpfull or not?I mean surely there will be a lot of them who would take up the task of map building for Armies of Azeroth.