• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 patch wish list

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
- Support the custom sounds (speaks, skills, etc.) of units, structures, etc via Object Editor.
All this talk of sound, and none of how restrictive Blizzard is with the whole 'sound set' issue! I would love a solution that would let us import Sound Sets in as easily as models, textures, and the like. If not, at least some understanding as to *why* it's a problem.
A reminder. We would definitely love and we need custom soundsets thus also being able to choose an imported .wav for the sound of building construction and selection.

Level 5
I would certainly love the ability, option to disable those keyboard shortcuts such as Alt+Q to quit the game or Esc or Alt+a to leave lobbies. We all have had times when we would accidentally press those and then leave game we REALLY wanted to stay in! :p
The only shortcuts I want are the Function# keys.

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
I would certainly love the ability, option to disable those keyboard shortcuts such as Alt+Q to quit the game or Esc or Alt+a to leave lobbies. We all have had times when we would accidentally press those and then leave game we REALLY wanted to stay in! :p
The only shortcuts I want are the Function# keys.
That is just pointless. You can just avoid it yourself by being more careful. o_O

Would be great to be able to control abilities damage, damage over time, interval, duration etc. by triggers in some way.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Please let us run at least two instances of the executable for testing purposes. Also, this would be very helpful for the World Editor to copy triggers from one map to another when making campaigns instead of having to import all from the previous map.

EDIT:
Could we please get two options: one for the current view and another for the previous stretched view?

EDIT2:
Guys, is there a way to rotate the camera in the editor like you're doing it in the game? That would really help not waste time using cameras. I need this to polish doodad positioning in places.

Thanks @Kaijyuu! Had no idea...

Last edited:
Level 12
1) Not sure if this has been mentioned, but gates & bridges that can be walked over and under simultaneously (and of course work properly with the pathfinding) would be neat.

And kinda related to that would be to be able to add/remove class/tags (flying/walking, but also stuff like tauren, undead, suicidal, ancient etc) as well as being able to change eligible targets of auto attacks. (Besides that, there should probably be more tags/classes added as well.)

For instance, you might want to be able to make a jumping or knocked up unit only be targetable by attacks and spells that can target flying. You could for example jump over spells and such without some kind of extensive missile & hit detection system.

You can already make somewhat functional gates & bridges, but it's real stupid when you have melee units on top of the bridge attacking units under them (and vice versa) and of course the unit pathing doesn't realise it can't just walk from under the bridge up to where it leads.

2) I'm not entirely sure, but I think that perhaps an event response for morph/unmorph might be useful?

3) it would be nice if a lot of the hard coded abilities could be changed so you could modify them in the object editor, e.g. locust swarm playing alternate animations for models that have those (e.g. if you give locust swarm to illidan he'll use the metamorphosis animations), all custom carrion swam & engineering upgrade being affected by fields from the originals' art/buff (probably other abilities as well), Barrage (the ability used for multishot abilities) don't have an option for only 2 targets—the minimum number you can have is 3 targets, and a ofc a whole lot of others that I couldn't think of at the moment.

4) there's no event or any way to reliably detect auto-cast attack modifying abilities—Searing Arrow, Cold Arrows, Orb of Annihilation, etc—when they're toggled and a unit simply auto attacks. You can do some gimmicky stuff like checking if the unit has the ability toggled & see if it lost mana, but afaik there's nothing that works reliably.

5) there's also no event that check for when a ranged unit has fired a projectile, it's not needed for melee units since the moment they finish their attack is the same moment that they deal damage, but you can't use any damage detection event for ranged units since it take time for the projectiles.

If you simply use "a unit is attacked" then that's also not enough since you can interrupt the attack before the projectile is fired, oh and speaking of which, this would also be useful for abilities like Axe's "Counter Helix" and the like that can otherwise be very buggy where if your unit is interrupted (intentionally or not) but is then ordered to attack again, the event just keep firing.

6) there's another pretty big thing which would be nice, as it is you can't prevent a player from giving orders to a unit. All you can do is to re-order a unit after it has been given another order. In games like in for example Castle Fight or if you're making a custom taunt ability that force units to attack the caster or perhaps a fear spell to make them run away, players can just spam click and the units will stand still/stutter because they don't have enough time to follow any of the orders.

7) I'm not sure if anyone has linked these or if the wc3 team already know about them, but in case they're unaware I just want to suggest taking a look at some threads like for example the ability guide ( and the Weird ability guide as well)

8) it would be nice if you could have way gates that are team/allied only. So that you can have teleporters that work with the pathing, but not allowing enemy units to use them. Being able to customize whether it's hero/unit only, and flying/ground would be nice as well.

edit: I tried to format it a bit better and make it into 8 points, hopefully it works. (Numbered and dotted list didn't seem to work though)

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but gates & bridges that can be walked over and under simultaneously (and of course work properly with the pathfinding) would be neat.
This just reminded me. Could there be a way to increase the pathing blocked by doodads depending on their size exactly as much (many hex grids/squares) as we need? I am especially referring to bridges.

You can already make somewhat functional gates & bridges, but it's real stupid when you have melee units on top of the bridge attacking units under them (and vice versa) and of course the unit pathing doesn't realise it can't just walk from under the bridge up to where it leads.
I'm afraid there is no easy solution to that as units melee-attack nearby enemies even when on a ramp or under it near the edge. I think even on elevators with closed walls. Basically those are pathing blockers and you can attack through them.
If you simply use "a unit is attacked" then that's also not enough since you can interrupt the attack before the projectile is fired, oh and speaking of which, this would also be useful for abilities like Axe's "Counter Helix" and the like that can otherwise be very buggy where if your unit is interrupted (intentionally or not) but is then ordered to attack again, the event just keep firing.
Actually you have to use A Unit Takes Damage which in which you can insert variable units only if you add the event to the trigger in questions via the action: Trigger->Add to Trigger the Event.

Level 12
I'm afraid there is no easy solution to that as units melee-attack nearby enemies even when on a ramp or under it near the edge. I think even on elevators with closed walls. Basically those are pathing blockers and you can attack through them.
If you could change flying/ground target dynamically by placing regions you could do it. You can already kinda do it if you really want, but you would have to use morph and you can't have any flying units. You'd place regions on the elevated parts and morph the units so they become ground/flying on demand (targetable, not necessarily movement)

Anyway, it's super gimmicky, but it could be a lot less gimmicky with some new tools.

Actually you have to use A Unit Takes Damage which in which you can insert variable units only if you add the event to the trigger in questions via the action: Trigger->Add to Trigger the Event.
I know about Damage Detection System(s) (I use bribe's), but keep in mind this doesn't work with ranged units as they don't deal damage when they finish their attacks, but rather when the projectiles hit.

Though perhaps using Counter Helix was a bad example since you kinda want that to be on damage I guess, but if you want to trigger something that happens every time an archer fires an arrow (maybe a triggered multishot for instance) then you don't want to use a damage event.

Though you can kinda get around it by not having any projectile attacks (so you'd just make your ranged units damage instantly & use a dds to reduce that damage to 0) and trigger every projectile and auto attack damage, but who want to do that...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
If you could change flying/ground target dynamically by placing regions you could do it. You can already kinda do it if you really want, but you would have to use morph and you can't have any flying units. You'd place regions on the elevated parts and morph the units so they become ground/flying on demand (targetable, not necessarily movement)
Well, that won't help heroes with orbs :D as they can attack air.
I know about Damage Detection System(s) (I use bribe's), but keep in mind this doesn't work with ranged units as they don't deal damage when they finish their attacks, but rather when the projectiles hit.
Well, yeah, when the projectile hits. Isn't that actually when the damage should be detected? Melee units also hit.
Though perhaps using Counter Helix was a bad example since you kinda want that to be on damage I guess, but if you want to trigger something that happens every time an archer fires an arrow (maybe a triggered multishot for instance) then you don't want to use a damage event.
Oh, well, I don't think there's any event for that unless the attack is actually a spell (A Unit Starts the Effect of An Ability). But that comes with some issues: the effect might be trigger set before the spell dealing damage. I guess it could work for what you need though if you consider an orb effect with 100% chance of a spell being cast, assuming that spell causes an effect.

Level 12
Well, yeah, when the projectile hits. Isn't that actually when the damage should be detected? Melee units also hit.
You seem to be completely missing my point that I'm suggesting for an event—that is something along the lines of "a unit finishes an attack" rather than "a unit deals damage"—to be added, equivalent to "a unit finishes casting a spell" but for attacks.

Oh, well, I don't think there's any event for that unless the attack is actually a spell (A Unit Starts the Effect of An Ability). But that comes with some issues: the effect might be trigger set before the spell dealing damage. I guess it could work for what you need though if you consider an orb effect with 100% chance of a spell being cast, assuming that spell causes an effect.

Of course there's no event for it, which is why I said that if you really want to do it you would have to make every ranged attack instantly deal damage as if they were melee, and then trigger the projectiles...

This is a workaround you can/have to do currently because said event doesn't exist yet.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
This is frustrating. Guys, can we get way longer item descriptions, maybe screen sized?
Is it possible to have larger item descriptions?
At least make them as long as the ones for abilities...
For everything if possible, quests and all.

EDIT:
Also, multiple actions for unit group conditions so you won't have to use the and/or in a line. It would be great to have it like when you use the if/the/else/multiple actions.

Last edited:
I want another native related to armor that resets the unit's armor calculation (base armor + upgrades + armor from attributes etc.) because sometimes you want to set a unit's armor to a constant and restore it later, but it receives armor from agility and upgrades during that time. Let's call it ResetUnitArmor

Last edited:
Level 19
I want another native related to armor that resets the unit's armor calculation (base armor + upgrades + armor from attributes etc.) because sometimes you want to set a unit's armor to a constant and restore it later, but it receives armor from agility and upgrades during that time. Let's call it ResetUnitArmor
won't work with illusions, for instance

Level 12
Speaking of illusions, it would be nice if they weren't hard-coded to always be blue for the owner. They make for pretty good dummies otherwise by using wand of illusion.

Also, for the times when you actually want it to be obvious that they're clones you want to perhaps make them gray/black and/or transparent and perhaps some attached special effects. But they'll still look like just a regular mirror image or wand of illusion for the owner.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Speaking of illusions, it would be nice if they weren't hard-coded to always be blue for the owner. They make for pretty good dummies otherwise by using wand of illusion.

Also, for the times when you actually want it to be obvious that they're clones you want to perhaps make them gray/black and/or transparent and perhaps some attached special effects. But they'll still look like just a regular mirror image or wand of illusion for the owner.
Banish does the same thing. Unfortunately the Banish visual effect is quite unique and can't be mimicked without actually banishing the unit.

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
This is frustrating. Guys, can we get way longer item descriptions, maybe screen sized?
Is it possible to have larger item descriptions?
At least make them as long as the ones for abilities...
For everything if possible, quests and all.

EDIT:
Also, multiple actions for unit group conditions so you won't have to use the and/or in a line. It would be great to have it like when you use the if/the/else/multiple actions.
Is this a joke? Last time I checked you can have a really long text on quests, but even so it's ridiculous to have anyway, no player wants to read a wall of text, for that he could just read a book. There's no point in having a long description for abilities at all, neither for items. Descriptions are supposed to be simple, concrete and concise. Pushing these kind of limits isn't what will make players play these maps. And one thing that looks like no one talks about and more important than length of text is the limitation of 100 moving units of each player and the glitch of being on a blocked cliff with different level from AI units and their units won't attack, they just stand still stuck on their cliff level. This is annoying for both players and mapmakers.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I personally would like Blizzard to please implement compatibility modes for some older versions of the game.

Compatibility mode allows to emulate / simulate bugs and / or features found in older versions of software. Implementing this could help improve custom map / campaign compatibility up to a point.

Such compatibility modes exist in Windows. They also exist in source ports such as SDLPoP (an open source port of Prince of Persia), or in the many source ports of Doom / Doom2 (such as GZDoom).

Windows XP SP3 - compatibility mode options.jpg SDLPoP - all original glitches enabled (required to perform tricks).jpg GZDoom - strict Doom compatibility mode enabled.jpg

Level 19
Is this a joke? Last time I checked you can have a really long text on quests, but even so it's ridiculous to have anyway, no player wants to read a wall of text, for that he could just read a book. There's no point in having a long description for abilities at all, neither for items. Descriptions are supposed to be simple, concrete and concise. Pushing these kind of limits isn't what will make players play these maps. And one thing that looks like no one talks about and more important than length of text is the limitation of 100 moving units of each player and the glitch of being on a blocked cliff with different level from AI units and their units won't attack, they just stand still stuck on their cliff level. This is annoying for both players and mapmakers.
face fucking palm. every single char matters, even color tags, even game-related tags. limit should be increased. U're absolutely incompetent to speak about it - get some experience first .

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Please make SetUnitX and SetUnitY functions work on units that have movement speed = 0 or movement type = NONE :)
Use SetUnitPosition instead.

@Draco, you are correct in that length of text strings should be capped at the displayed text length and not at the source text length. But please don't get all defensive and stuff about it. No reason to cuss and try to humiliate the guy.

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
face fucking palm. every single char matters, even color tags, even game-related tags. limit should be increased. U're absolutely incompetent to speak about it - get some experience first .
Typical butthurt guy that can't handle criticism, fails to prove his point and have no other choice rather than commit ad hominem falacy. You don't know what I know, so hold yourself man.
face fucking palm. every single char matters, even color tags, even game-related tags.
I already knew this, but what the hell is your point here? If you want to make your item tooltip to fit don't use many colours codes....
Maybe with these new natives setting item ability level that someone suggested it would make sense to increase the limit.
U're absolutely incompetent to speak about it - get some experience first .
You're the know it all, the god himself and the authority, please teach me senpai:p. I'm pretty sure I have more experience than you, as a mapmaker and as a player. In a mapmaker's perspective you might make long ass wall of texts on abilities and items, but you just don't get it, in a player's perspective they don't want/like to read them when they are missing all the action, and even when they read them, they still don't understand what the item or ability is about. So you see, it's just not pratical to make long texts.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
@Wrda I don't care what you think the point is. I know I need that and it's very useful not only to me. Draco might have been aggressive towards you but so have you been towards me.
I have abilities which are linking with others to form combos. There is enough space for what I had to write until now but for items, especially artifacts, I want to write the history for them like in the TfT along with the stats and ability they give. There's not enough space to write all that. So, please, refrain from such comments because you don't think what ever I don't care. I did not ask for something to be taken out of the game. I've actually asked for something constructive.

Just a possible compiler feature to support by JASS2:

My basis for this proposal is that they have touched it a bit so that typecasting via shadow globals no longer work?

JASS:
function bot takes nothing returns nothing
    call BJDebugMsg ("Bot code")
endfunction

function foo takes nothing returns nothing
    call bar()
endfunction

function bar takes nothing returns nothing
    call BJDebugMsg ("bar code")
    call bot()
endfunction

Basically, one can call functions below it.

Level 5
Just a possible compiler feature to support by JASS2:

My basis for this proposal is that they have touched it a bit so that typecasting via shadow globals no longer work?

JASS:
function bot takes nothing returns nothing
    call BJDebugMsg ("Bot code")
endfunction

function foo takes nothing returns nothing
    call bar()
endfunction

function bar takes nothing returns nothing
    call BJDebugMsg ("bar code")
    call bot()
endfunction

Basically, one can call functions below it.

a runtime ExecuteFunc(dynamic_string) would conflict with that feature

Level 8
What you can add is the possibility of being able to make several abilities with the same base ability.

I wish that have in the options in the object editor, have the name and description available in several languages. Have in the forms, place them to fill in English and others to fill in other languages. If the user is using Warcraft 3 in a language other than not be in the English, and the map is available in multiple languages with the same file. It can see in the name and description on the language that it defined in Warcraft 3.

Level 8
The Problem, is that if you want to do many similar skill, it will come time will have to use the triggers. And in different ways, if can up make several skills only one base, would avoid this work.
Something that I did not test (put color code of negative buff of the string), but it would avoid work also if it works. Endurance Aura with negative values, it does the opposite effect of the positive, only that buff of the ability, the text of the name of the buff is with positive sign.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
The Problem, is that if you want to do many similar skill, it will come time will have to use the triggers. And in different ways, if can up make several skills only one base, would avoid this work.
Something that I did not test (put color code of negative buff of the string), but it would avoid work also if it works. Endurance Aura with negative values, it does the opposite effect of the positive, only that buff of the ability, the text of the name of the buff is with positive sign.
I'm not sure I totally understand. You can already create an arbitrarily large number of custom abilities based off a single standard ability. That is a thing.

What you cannot do, however, is create multiple custom abilities/buffs from (using a specific example), say, Acid Bomb, and have any of those custom abilities "stack" appropriately (either with each other or with the original, base ability). That is (99% of the time) not a thing.

The thing you're talking about with bus being green or red based on their nature (buff/debuff) is true, but I'm fairly certain you can use color codes to force it to look like how you want. That being said I don't know of any way for the game to truly consider it a buff/debuff, for stuff like Spell Steal or Devour Magic. (Actually, Spell Steal is kind of a frustrating issue for nearly anything custom).

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
The thing is blizzard intentionally forbid stacking of all kind of buffs. Slow? Acid bomb? Silence? Whatever else? Get out, u can't do it.
"Intentionally forbids" imputes a certain level of malevolence that I simply cannot abide. Moreover, I believe it is incorrect; the option obviously exists, because Auras & a very select few abilities (such as Cloud (thanks @ScrewTheTrees !)) can indeed Stack with custom copies of themselves.

The only challenge is figuring out how viable it is to have that option made available for all abilities, and determining Blizzard's stance on doing so.

Level 8
Do you use the official editor? What for me, if I do two skill of one skill base. Only one will work, and if you use the other it will have the effect of the ability that overlap.

As an example, these days I was editing a map to make a map similar to Clash Royale, I did 8 skill based on the same ability, Dark Portal that invokes some units at the target point. But when I went to test, with 8 abilities in the construction that I did. Did what I did not want, the abilities that no is overlap, invoking the units of skill of overload and not the ones I wanted for that skill, besides invoking a wrong amount of skill which overlaped that.

If you insist on this discussion, I think I'll make a map or video just to show what I'm speaking about.

Level 19
"Intentionally forbids" imputes a certain level of malevolence that I simply cannot abide. Moreover, I believe it is incorrect; the option obviously exists, because Auras & a very select few abilities (such as Cloud (thanks @ScrewTheTrees !)) can indeed Stack with custom copies of themselves.

The only challenge is figuring out how viable it is to have that option made available for all abilities, and determining Blizzard's stance on doing so.
because thats how its stated in code. If base buff exists - refresh it with new data, else create one. There are no option to stack it except for Poison weapon. Those which do stack obviously belong to non-target spells, majority of singe target abilities cannot be stacked and requires to be triggered

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Do you use the official editor? What for me, if I do two skill of one skill base. Only one will work, and if you use the other it will have the effect of the ability that overlap.

As an example, these days I was editing a map to make a map similar to Clash Royale, I did 8 skill based on the same ability, Dark Portal that invokes some units at the target point. But when I went to test, with 8 abilities in the construction that I did. Did what I did not want, the abilities that no is overlap, invoking the units of skill of overload and not the ones I wanted for that skill, besides invoking a wrong amount of skill which overlaped that.

If you insist on this discussion, I think I'll make a map or video just to show what I'm speaking about.
Ahhh! I didn't understand you... If you're talking about multiples of an ability (custom or otherwise) on the same unit, then yes, that's an issue. However, I don't know that they can really fix that; it's Order IDs conflicting. Generally you can find an alternative ability (or trigger it) to do the same thing.

because thats how its stated in code. If base buff exists - refresh it with new data, else create one. There are no option to stack it except for Poison weapon. Those which do stack obviously belong to non-target spells, majority of singe target abilities cannot be stacked and requires to be triggered
You say "obviously", but it seems nobody knew about Cloud until this last year or so; that's a long time (at least, nobody publicly talked about it).

I'll have to mess around with Poison, as I really could use that...

Yes, that's what the code says. But it's not like they were intentionally trying to stymie modders; much more likely that they were simply trying to avoid buffs-stacking (the bad kind; e.g. no one wants two Cripples on their Hero) in the most straightforward way possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.