• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 patch wish list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
They were thinking of the max array size, which is 8192. The middle two numbers were transposed.

It's a reasonable enough number for a max, considering other limitations in the game. Still, I imagine an update would allow limitless texttags, since it's fast enough these days to just have a resizable data structure instead of a predefined length array.

Level 2
.. there are only 8 icons in status bar displayed, and u're talking about texttags. GIVE THEM TIME, ITS A SMALL INDIE COMPANY, THEY ARE ONLY 18 MONTHS OLD.

Level 13
I know there are way more important things for now that Blizzard should take care of, but there's no harm adding the following to the list:
- Fix the ambient sound (midi issue) which was disabled in the 1.27 version;
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Patch 1.27
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specific Changes & Improvements
- Throw away that old PowerPC Mac in the closet, we’ve created a new installer to support Mac 10.10 and 10.11
- Improved compatibility with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10
- Fixed a crash caused by Chain Lightning

Known Issues

- Windows 8.1 and 10 saved games are still stored in a location that requires running as system admin
- Some graphical issues with the cinematics are still occurring
- Changes to gamma settings will not take effect in windowed mode
- Cyrillic characters are still not displaying
- Disabled ambient sound while a MIDI issue is being resolved
- Mac 10.9 and earlier are not supported
- Mac build does not support the editor
- Fix Occlusion - Make destructible transparent whenever a unit is behind it.

EDIT: In case you don't know, nor have ever seen it, the occlusion works like this:

Occlusion.png

NOTE: The user A Void uploaded that screenshot in another thread.

EDIT 2: Linked the first one to a YouTube "video" as a sample, because I noticed a lot of people don't know or can't remember what those ambient sounds are.

Last edited:
Level 11
Has anyone bothered to pinpoint which patch broke occlusion? All the patches have been archived on the internet, and it shouldn't be too hard with a binary search. Might help Blizz fix it, assuming they still have the version control history from way back then.

Kinda funny that no one noticed it breaking back in the day. However it would be nice to fix, as it would help with maps like Farmers Vs Hunters and other maps where units are chopping small paths through trees.

Level 13
All right, so I decided to spend some time trying to find which patch messed up the Occlusion feature, and now I know why MANY users couldn't notice the Occlusion not working at all, or simply not knowing what it does. I installed the RoC Retail version (1.00), and it works flawlessly. As soon as I installed the 1.07 (TFT Retail version), that feature wasn't working anymore.

Despite finding the problem in a very OLD version of warcraft, I'll still try the other versions out, and see if I can find any other with its occlusion feature working.

EDIT:

I tested almost all the other patches (from 1.10 to 1.27b), and occlusion only worked for ver 1.00.

Last edited:
Level 13
Now that you mentioned it, I forgot to test the other RoC patches. I just finished testing a few of them (1.03, 1.05, 1.06), and the occlusion works just fine for all of them. Blizzard messed it up when they released TFT version.

GOD, IT TAKES AGES TO LOAD A MAP ON REIGN OF CHAOS

Level 7
Hey guys, do you think Blademasters should be revealed when taking from the ground and buying items? I think it would be fair to the other heroes and enemy players.

No, why would they? Blademaster is a harassment Hero; he's not great to disrupt groups of enemy units but one thing he does really, really, really well is harass Heroes and supply lines. If you know the blademaster is around you'll likely be twice as cautious when creeping, and dropping items. It would be completely silly to change something so easily avoided, anyway!

Level 4
Below is just my opinion/view of what I think. I was going to post this in the natives list thread but decided this would be better here I believe.

I'd suggest making jass easier to learn and use by simplifying the code of it as well as having a professional documentation on its functions and how to use it. Although I know many programming and scripting languages, jass by far takes the cake in being the most complicated and unfriendly that I have ever tried to use which is why I am stuck at using GUI. Definitely not for beginners.

With all this hard work in adding new natives and the suggestions people are pointing out, why not just take the WC3 editor and make it an actual game making engine itself? I mean, that's where things are headed in my point of view. Blizzard could call it "Craft Engine" or something like that. Of course there would be overhauls, but Blizzard essentially has a really great game making engine with a audience that they might not even realize.

Overhauling JASS in the way you mentioned would break backwards compatibility, it'd destroy literally all wc3 maps currently in existence, so it is a reeeeeeeeeally bad idea. That's why vjass was made in first place.

If you want the version of jass that's intuitive, easy to learn, well structured and has a standard library, as well as IDE support, I suggest you use wurstscript.

Level 4
Yeah, that's basically all I am asking for is a easier version of jass. I have tried numerous times trying to learn how to use jass and it is just so messy and not intuitive in my opinion.

I wasn't aware of wurstscript. I will look into it, thanks. :)

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Now that we're at it, what about a common import manager for .w3n files/the Campaign Editor? That way what ever you import, all files/maps in the .w3n share the material.

EDIT: not sure exactly how it would work but maybe something like a .mpq within the .w3n files which would be automatically integrated when importing something in the Campaign Editor?

Last edited:
Level 20
While we're at it, also add GUI remove location, destroy group actions.
This would be really nice, though... I'm kinda hopeful that they do more than that, for example - if they add new natives, I hope they will bring some of that functionality to the GUI as well.

For example, if they give us a way to change object editor data or set remaining cooldown to a set duration, it'd be cool if that was also available in GUI.

Level 4
This would be really nice, though... I'm kinda hopeful that they do more than that, for example - if they add new natives, I hope they will bring some of that functionality to the GUI as well.

For example, if they give us a way to change object editor data or set remaining cooldown to a set duration, it'd be cool if that was also available in GUI.

More GUI support would be great. I agree.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Undead, elemental, golem units (maybe some other types which I can't remember now) should not be sleeping at/during night.
But they get tired... They might die... again? if they do not get enough sleep!

Warcraft III was made before such properties of the Warcraft lore were written and as such it makes total sense that Undead, elementals and golems can sleep as there is no reason they do not need sleep.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I just wish they would put some love into warcraft 3 im not sure why they don't want to update things.
They are updating Warcraft III...
I understand they wanna hide stuff from us users but its getting annoying.
They have to keep internal discussions from the public because otherwise people of the public might get over exited over ideas that turn out to be impractical or impossible to implement. Instead they only give out details when stuff is finalized so one can be sure it is what we get.

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
They are updating Warcraft III...
They have to keep internal discussions from the public because otherwise people of the public might get over exited over ideas that turn out to be impractical or impossible to implement. Instead they only give out details when stuff is finalized so one can be sure it is what we get.

That's true I suppose.

Level 20
They have to keep internal discussions from the public because otherwise people of the public might get over exited over ideas that turn out to be impractical or impossible to implement.
This.

I agree that it would be awesome to know what they are working on behind the scenes, but... at this point I'm grateful that they are even considering doing anything for a game that was released 15 years ago and doesn't have any kind of ongoing monetization. From that point of view, any patch or even a tiniest improvement is really a very nice gesture from Blizzard.

Reactions: pyf
Level 11
I don't know if this was mentioned before, but I crave a basic/advanced building system (like in Warcraft 2 or Starcraft). As far as I know, modders' attempts to create such a system were always more or less flawed.

Level 11
Since they somewhat fixed the widescreen issue, what if they make the unit model portraits bigger, like in this game (Armies of Exigo) but of course keeping the current position?
As a facultative option then :D
If Blizzard wants to use interface spare space, I'd prefer if they allowed selection of more than 12 units :)

Last edited:

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
Since they somewhat fixed the widescreen issue, what if they make the unit model portraits bigger, like in this game (Armies of Exigo) but of course keeping the current position?
315088-armies-of-exigo-windows-screenshot-reaching-the-village.jpg

I believe the portraits do need a update, some look wierd and some custom models portraits also are so zoomed in or zoomed out..

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
But they get tired... They might die... again? if they do not get enough sleep!

Warcraft III was made before such properties of the Warcraft lore were written and as such it makes total sense that Undead, elementals and golems can sleep as there is no reason they do not need sleep.
Also, how does this make sense? Queen of Suffering and their lesser versions do not sleep at night while revenants do!?
Even sludges sleep :eek:, and water elementals :rolleyes:
At least, voidwalkers, skeletons and war golems don't, possibly others too...

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
Making maps and messing with world editor for a long time, ive gathered things that i think should or could be edited and changed.

- Being able too color code triggers for better organization.

- Being able to transfer triggers to other maps so you don't have to redo variables and everything..

- Being able to change cliff types too whatever you would like instead of making a whole new map.

- Being able to change terrain tilesets without having the red box making it so you cant change it, you should be able to change which ever tileset and cliff type whenever.

- Being able to import models/skins/icons without any stress, without having too edit each one and add a special code towards it, just import the resource and that's it.

- Being able to organize doodads in folders and maybe color code them to find better. For example, you gather all the doodads you would use in your map and put them all in on folder so they are easily found and can be used.

- Being able to add more doodads than the limit that it has.

- Being able to, when making a new map change tilesets and rearrange them with ones you would want or don't want in your map.

There is alot more but this is just some stuff ive collected.. im sure some of these will or will not happen just wanted to throw it out there..

Status
Not open for further replies.