• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 patch wish list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Implemented
  • Fix the preload exploit (the preload natives are used by wc3 itself and are also a valuable feature for map makers. Their exploit potential should be removed by not allowing creation of files outside of the directory of the currently started war3.exe and by only being able to write/read .pld files) ->1.27b: only .pld files can be created and only in the folder CustomMapData, absolute paths can no longer be used

Not fixed, possible use "./../" for create file in another directory.
Possible use this extensions: mgv, mg, sav, pld, txt

....................... HAHAHAHA, stupid blizzard coders!

Karaulov presents:
Create d3d9.dll and opengl32.dll files in Warcraft III folder , that would kill the game!
Look at bad Blizzard protection !

Code:
call Preload("Blizzard has only stupid bad coders")
call Preload("Crash Warcraft III at next run")
call Preload("All rights reserved! (Karaulov)")
call Preload("For Warcraft 1.27b")
call PreloadGenEnd("./../d3d9.dll..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................pld")
call PreloadGenEnd("./../opengl32.dll..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................pld")

ALL RIGHT RESERVED! :) (karaulov)

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Not fixed, possible use "./../" for create file in another directory.
Possible use this extensions: mgv, mg, sav, pld, txt

....................... HAHAHAHA, stupid blizzard coders!

Karaulov presents:
Create d3d9.dll file in the folder with the Warcraft III, that would kill the game!
Look at fucking Blizzard protection !

Code:
call Preload("Blizzard have only stupid bad coders")
call Preload("All rights reserved! (Karaulov)")
call Preload("For all Warcraft versions(up to 1.27b)")
call PreloadGenEnd("./../d3d9.dll..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................pld")

ALL RIGHT RESERVED! :) (karaulov)
That could be done to a player who clicks on an unit he has no vision on.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Need support for multiple layers in WC3 maps :) Or just 3d maps (as in counter strike for example :D )
Not really possible. Practically no RTS supports it due to the complexity involved.

I am starting to get sick and tired of people throwing abuse around in threads like these. It is not constructive and just ruins credibility.

Reactions: pyf

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

Kara is right, though. Blizzard failed trying to fix preload. There's still a vulnerability that allows you to crash/ruin WC3, or even browse to System32 and overwrite some files there if WC3 is installed in C:\

This is why you test all cases before releasing code.

Last edited by a moderator:
Improvement of how wc3 engine read tilesets.

Wc3 tiles by default show no grid in this cases : (from default camera view and no zoom) 64x64 seamless tile-sample resolution on 256x256(or 512x256),128x128 seamless tilable sample on 512x512(or 1024x512),and so on.

Now what we need is Blizzard to make possible for example 128x128 seamless tilable sample on 256x256(512x256),256x256 seamless tile sample on 512x512 (1024x512) keeping this alpha channel/edge/deco system . Its possible

Or just simply read tile sample of 512x512 as a whole picture.But guess that isnt possible at all in this stage ,guess they would have to reprogram totaly to work like hots or sc2.

But that improvement where wc3 engine dont devide a sample tile by 4,and only with 2 is possible , that will bring whole new perspective and possibilitys how wc3 hd may look.This is future , think of it

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
But that improvement where wc3 engine dont devide a sample tile by 4,and only with 2 is possible , that will bring whole new perspective and possibilitys how wc3 hd may look.This is future , think of it
I do not understand what you are truing to suggest.

Warcraft III tiles are the result of 4 neighbouring terrain vertices which form a quad surface out of two triangles. I think the lower left tile determines the texture and variation used for the base, with the rest of the 3 determining any blend boarders to use.

Another thing i've always wanted: An aura ability which allows you to specify another ability which will be added as its effect, similar to how some orb abilities have an effect ability. This would enable you to add stuff like evasion, sight range bonus, invisibility, poison attack etc. as effects of an aura. Although it is technically possible using triggers, the solutions are usually not very efficient and require you to either loop through all units on the map or all units in range of everyone who has the ability.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Another thing i've always wanted: An aura ability which allows you to specify another ability which will be added as its effect, similar to how some orb abilities have an effect ability. This would enable you to add stuff like evasion, sight range bonus, invisibility, poison attack etc. as effects of an aura. Although it is technically possible using triggers, the solutions are usually not very efficient and require you to either loop through all units on the map or all units in range of everyone who has the ability.
Oh geez this.

Level 19

This is what I want.

Level 19

I support this with all violence. Give this guy a beer.

I do not understand what you are truing to suggest.

Warcraft III tiles are the result of 4 neighbouring terrain vertices which form a quad surface out of two triangles. I think the lower left tile determines the texture and variation used for the base, with the rest of the 3 determining any blend boarders to use.

Yep 4 neighbouring terrain vertices for quad shape, talking the same but in pixel measurments. If you use 256x256 seamless tile sample to make wc3 tileset on 1024x512 (rectangular wc3 tileset), or same sample on 512x512 quad shape wc3 tile, ingame it will show grid (will not show in photoshop)

What i suggest is Blizzard make this happen without showing grid ingame. I believe it can work with this alpha channel system that determinates the shape of edges .

In other case you have game like hots where their samples are 512x512 and engine read it as a full size image without having grid ingame.But thats completly different system

Basically those measurments with seamless tile sample used to make wc3 tile doesnt show grid ingame :

1.64x64 seamless tile sample on 256x256 (512x256)
2.128x128 seamless tile sample on 512x512 (1024x512)
3.256x256 seamless tile sample on 1024x1024 (2048x1024)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
If you use 256x256 seamless tile sample to make wc3 tileset on 1024x512 (rectangular wc3 tileset), or same sample on 512x512 quad shape wc3 tile, ingame it will show grid (will not show in photoshop)
BLPs are limited to 512*512 useful dimensions... Currently the biggest tiles you can get are 128*128 (standard) or 64*127 (extended). Neither are seamless.

The problem and reason why it looks like a grid and is not seamless is because the UV mapping of the terrain is messed up. It should align to the centre of the boarder pixels around a tile component so that all that is needed for seamless terrain is to make sure that each tile component shares the same 1 pixel boarder. Instead it is set to some arbitrary square area that is not the full tile component area nor a useful subset of it. The following image explains all...

terraindistortion-jpg.256551

As you can see, the boarders suffer from different distortion despite the pattern being uniform with all tile components having the same pixel data. Ideally there should show no variation in the above terrain with all boarders being discontinuous.

In other case you have game like hots where their samples are 512x512 and engine read it as a full size image without having grid ingame.But thats completly different system
It still has a grid, just it is much finer and the terrain is in the form of a massive repeating tile.

Last edited:
Look i see i am an amateur compared to knowledge you posses . But i must say chinese made it possible they made 256x256 seamless tile sample on 512x512 wc3 tileset . As i understood they did it by 3d tiling and using some lighting system. Basically your sentence explained everything (i understood the purpose but i am not graphic engeneer or programmer ) ,,It should align to the centre of the boarder pixels around a tile component so that all that is needed for seamless terrain is to make sure that each tile component shares the same 1 pixel boarder ,,

My laptop crashes and recenlty i wont be able to recover data to show you what they did. But they manipulated with those pixels between borders . No grid show (or it is but probably when you zoom in fully )

My main questions in this discusion towards you would be next : 1.Do you or someone from community posses a knowledge to avoid that grid ,improving UV mapping (whatever it takes )

2.Would those things you mention would cause some greater job to blizzard wc3 developers , in one sentence : Can they bring it to us in some near future,patch (lets say less than a year )

3.Would it be constructive to mention this directly to a members who are in contact with blizzard ? Guess ppl like you would make more effect , cause clearly you have a reputation

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
But i must say chinese made it possible they made 256x256 seamless tile sample on 512x512 wc3 tileset .
Maybe the UV map is aligned but only at certain pixel resolutions... I will need to test.

It should align to the centre of the boarder pixels around a tile component so that all that is needed for seamless terrain is to make sure that each tile component shares the same 1 pixel boarder ,,
Exactly. However maybe it does just not at the resolution of my test image. UV maps are specified in 0.0-1.0 range as opposed to pixels. The test image was to show that it is far from perfect, and to explain why some artefacts are visible.

My main questions in this discusion towards you would be next : 1.Do you or someone from community posses a knowledge to avoid that grid ,improving UV mapping (whatever it takes )
I could probably fix it in 1-2 days if I had the source code. I will investigate it further later as it is also possible that lower resolution textures, but higher than I used, fix this (the boarder is aligned for a specific texture size).

2.Would those things you mention would cause some greater job to blizzard wc3 developers , in one sentence : Can they bring it to us in some near future,patch (lets say less than a year )
Hard to say without knowing the source code. However I would expect it to be possible with just 1-2 working days of development. The UV map coordinates used for tile textures would need to be dynamically created to align to the middle of the nearest pixel (unless only 1 or less pixels are covered) rather than some arbitrary texture coordinates.

3.Would it be constructive to mention this directly to a members who are in contact with blizzard ? Guess ppl like you would make more effect , cause clearly you have a reputation
I would think it is. WC3 terrain seams have always bothered me as they are not subtle.

It is possible to make "seamless terrain textures" using ubersplats. In many of my maps i use invisible dummy structures with ground textures to paint the ground, and then replace them with ubersplats using the same texture in a trigger.

We talk now about mpq tiles . When we talk about splats its different dimension . For example if we talk about map tiles , i saw someone (Andrea or something is his nickname ) made to make a mdx file attach seamless texture to it ,and then use it as some kind of spell to draw terrain . I dont know the process but i saw it already and it works

Level 19
indeed it doable by triggers, but you're right it's pretty much trivial thing to add on game engine level. but so are many other stuff like setters and getters for instance.
don't worry, bilzz will yet kill your expectations, as usual.

Maybe the UV map is aligned but only at certain pixel resolutions... I will need to test.

Exactly. However maybe it does just not at the resolution of my test image. UV maps are specified in 0.0-1.0 range as opposed to pixels. The test image was to show that it is far from perfect, and to explain why some artefacts are visible.

I could probably fix it in 1-2 days if I had the source code. I will investigate it further later as it is also possible that lower resolution textures, but higher than I used, fix this (the boarder is aligned for a specific texture size).

Hard to say without knowing the source code. However I would expect it to be possible with just 1-2 working days of development. The UV map coordinates used for tile textures would need to be dynamically created to align to the middle of the nearest pixel (unless only 1 or less pixels are covered) rather than some arbitrary texture coordinates.

I would think it is. WC3 terrain seams have always bothered me as they are not subtle.

Tnx for your respond , i rly appriciate . I am not familiar exactly who have contact with blizz from hive members , i belive one of them is guy called Ralle ? Would like him to be informed about this when time comes to it . Ofc you would get him into the story way professional than me , and if i would be involved my story would be simplifyd and afraid not too much correct . Or after your investigation maybe its best choice you to do it , but we will agree in some decent future , as you say chief :D

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
We talk now about mpq tiles . When we talk about splats its different dimension . For example if we talk about map tiles , i saw someone (Andrea or something is his nickname ) made to make a mdx file attach seamless texture to it ,and then use it as some kind of spell to draw terrain . I dont know the process but i saw it already and it works
One way to terrain, especially now that the map file size limit is an insane 128MB, is to throw away standard WC3 terrain altogether and instead construct the entire world out of walkable destructable custom models. Since you have precise control over UV maps on these models you can make them completely seamless. Although you are limited to 512*512 per texture, each model can use multiple different textures and a lot of separate models can be used. The resulting map file size might not even end up that big as a lot of textures could be recycled between terrain components and the terrain components themselves are pretty much simple geometry only.

Only problem with this approach is GetLocationZ is guaranteed to produce different results between clients for the same location. Not like it ever had strong guarantees for that in the first place...

EDIT: I discovered the secrets of seamless terrain. Which Blizzard apparently forgot...

seamless-vs-non-seamless-jpg.256820

Right is standard grass with clearly visible seams, left is the same grass texture modified to be seamless by creating a wrapping 2 pixel boarder using the top left of the top left tile component. Results are far from perfect as the tile components were not created with such a boarder in mind.

Each tile component (of which standard tile type is 4*4 components and extended 8*4 components) was designed to be 32*32 pixels. The area drawn is then exactly 31*31 pixels, with a boarder of 0.5 pixels being cut off. In such a case a single pixel boarder that wraps around is sufficient to be perfectly seamless.

However with 64*64 pixel components, which is what is standard in WC3, the drawn tile area is 62*62 pixels as the UV mapping is the same. However this means that the edges of the tile are sourced from a boarder between pixels, which is subject to bilinear interpolation, and as such up to 4 pixels are involved in computing the tile edge pixel colour. As such 64*64 pixel tile components have to be surrounded by a wrapping 2 pixel wide boarder to be seamless.

This system clearly is seriously flawed. Not only does it need a 2 pixel wide boarder to be seamless it theoretically throws entire pixels away at higher resolutions. For example if a tile component is 128*128 pixels then the drawn area is 124*124 pixels which means that there is a 1 pixel wide boarder of disused pixels followed by a wrapping 2 pixel wide boarder to be seamless.

For more technical people, when one assumes each tile component is in UV space (dimensions from 0.0 to 1.0) then the wrapped area is exactly 0.96875 * 0.96875 and surrounded by a uniform 0.015625 boarder. Samples taken from the wrapped area are subject to bilinear interpolation. This puts a restriction on seamless tile components having dimensions that are natural multiples of 32*32 pixels. Tile components with dimensions that are natural multiples of 32*32 pixels need a wrapping 1 pixel boarder while ones that are natural multiples of 64*64 pixels need a wrapping 2 pixel boarder. Every increase in dimension by 64 pixels beyond the first 64 pixels results in a 1 pixel boarder of unused pixels, which for efficient JPEG compression and correct mipmaps should be given some sensible values.

Tile components involved with terrain blending have different wrapping boarder edges depending on the blend direction.

Last edited:
This is kinda mind-blowing to me , too much complicated ,i am amateur for those technical stuff , i just want to make tiles like you explained =). First we use different terms for 1 thing , for example i say tile sample , you say tile component ,need time to figure out many stuff.
Ok i got the part with boarders in general . Chinese cut a tile component boarder by 0.5 if tile component is 32x32,so the drawn area came up to 31x31 . That cuted part wraps and somehow it merge perfect tile components and you got seamless wc3 tileset.

They said they used brush and eraser to do so,they mentioned 3d tiling and some lighting system ? But uv maping,mipmaps, man i dont have bloody idea what it is . I had a clue what is UV from picture you show ,its some thing that determinates wc3 seams as i understood...Its like every slot where comes tile component is differetly lighten and it cause problems with tile component borders and make semaless tileset impossible.Did i trivialy but correctly understood? but how to see it , manipulate huh...

Ok i got a series of questions : 1.Did you figure out what tools they use to cut that border pixels so it wraps and become seamless wc3 tile?

2.If i make tile component sample in 256x256 resolution (seamless in sense of photoshop) , would you be able to produce wc3 tileset from that 256x256 samples to become 512x512(1024x512) wc3 tilesets?

3.Would you like to teach us this knowledge in some public tutorial , cause this knowledge is revolutionary , trust me ppl i dont joke...

Got many other questions (but in pm not to flood thread)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
But uv maping,mipmaps, man i dont have bloody idea what it is .
You should take a second to look at Wikipedia. Well unless it is blocked in your country of course in which case...

UV mapping is the 3D modeling process of projecting a 2D image to a 3D model's surface for texture mapping.
In computer graphics, mipmaps (also MIP maps) or pyramids [1][2][3] are pre-calculated, optimized sequences of images, each of which is a progressively lower resolution representation of the same image.
Did i trivialy but correctly understood?
UV map is a per vertex value that tells the GPU where the texels for a surface should come from. Since it is a vertex value and used by GPUs it is common to use texture coordinates for a UV map position (in range of 0.0 to 1.0) rather than pixels. This is how values like half a pixel can exist since it maps to an are of the texture and not to absolute pixels. The "seams" in the terrain are mostly a result of bilinear interpolation of pixel component (RGB) value.

2.If i make tile component sample in 256x256 resolution (seamless in sense of photoshop) , would you be able to produce wc3 tileset from that 256x256 samples to become 512x512(1024x512) wc3 tilesets?
No this is not CSI Miami... In real life there is no point taking a low resolution image and making it a higher resolution image as no detail can be added. One can only draw in higher resolutions and then downsample to the require size.

3.Would you like to teach us this knowledge in some public tutorial , cause this knowledge is revolutionary , trust me ppl i dont joke...
What is there to teach? One just needs to understand bilinear filtering and that the texture coordinates used by the UV mapping of a terrain tile are resolution independent and it all makes perfect sense.

I attach the seamless grass texture I demonstrated so you can see the layout first hand. It is worth noting that the boarders of the blend surfaces are not completely seamless due to me taking shortcuts as I am not an artist but a computer scientist.

Attachments

• AlignTest4.png
    AlignTest4.png
    325.8 KB · Views: 306
Level 19
Add unit flags. Like for each unit one can decide if it gives bounty or if it decays or if it can by risen, and so on.
This would be very useful too make a single target spell that disables the bounty of a creep for example, or that blocks a unit from being risen (even though it originally should be risen) without having to make an alternate unit for each unit.

Uff at least i got an expert explaination ,i appriciate that tnx. Still i will have to do a research since i am totally uninformed . Hm why wikipedia should be banned in europe country xD? Never heard of it lol

Well about the teaching i was thinking about some video tutorial how you made that tileset Alightest4 in practice ...

,,In real life there is no point taking a low resolution image and making it a higher resolution image as no detail can be added,, - Hm, since there are many ways to make wc3 tilesets i believe you got me wrong. I didnt talk about that , i do it simple way : Make a tileable tile sample (component) , go to wc3 tile layer,blending options and fill it with my tilable component (manipulations with edges near alpha channel comes later,and variations with another method i didnt make tutorial yet ).
I didnt mean upsizing low resolution image to higher one .

Ok its new year soon will not bother you, but since you are computer scientist and pretty inteligent one , after you see this tutorial only once you will understand how to make tilesets . And pretty much sure u would be awesome tileset maker .

But the main disatvantage of this method is i must cut the image (tile sample or component as you wish) to skip downsizing which sometimes greatly destroy quality . Also it loose original shape ,which is bigger headache.

I am talking about some WoW tile resources that are 1024x1024 i need to downsize to 128x128 sample and greatly loose on quality , just in order to keep original shape/order of stones or lava for example.

With chinese method i dont have to cut image or downsize it even 8 times + i dont loose original shape . This is why that method is revolutionary to me and your explanation is kinda reveletion ,just need to get it lol :)

Old tile method tuto ,made for beginers and wcu community since none does tiles there ( sorry for slow talking , i got tired ,had some weird recording program that cut every 5-6 min of video )

Nvm i just wish Happy New Year to this community and to you Dr Super Good , tnx for everything i hope we talk more :)

Last edited:
Level 19
Add unit flags. Like for each unit one can decide if it gives bounty or if it decays or if it can by risen, and so on.
This would be very useful too make a single target spell that disables the bounty of a creep for example, or that blocks a unit from being risen (even though it originally should be risen) without having to make an alternate unit for each unit.
good idea indeed

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Hm why wikipedia should be banned in europe country xD? Never heard of it lol
It is not. It is banned in countries like China (English Wikipedia?) and North Korea though, at least. THW gets a lot of Chinese traffic now so one cannot assume they have access to Wikipedia, hence why I quoted.

Well about the teaching i was thinking about some video tutorial how you made that tileset Alightest4 in practice ...
With a lot of messing around as I am not an artist and have no idea how to do some things others would find trivial.

Ok its new year soon will not bother you, but since you are computer scientist and pretty inteligent one , after you see this tutorial only once you will understand how to make tilesets . And pretty much sure u would be awesome tileset maker .
It is not that easy if you want it to be seamless and allow for variation in tile choice. Each tile component has to be hand painted to blend with the boarder. Either that or you would need to use some advanced seamless blending technique, such as a seamless splice, to blend an existing tile with the boarder.

I am talking about some WoW tile resources that are 1024x1024 i need to downsize to 128x128 sample and greatly loose on quality , just in order to keep original shape/order of stones or lava for example.
For the reasons I explained earlier, higher resolution actually reduces quality as Warcraft III terrain is not mipmapped so will suffer from major aliasing artefacts when down sampled below half resolution. The bilinear filtering used only works as an anti aliasing filter up to half scale as it only accommodates 2*2 samples. As such 128*128 per tile component is probably the best you can do for the common player now on a 1080p display.

World of Warcraft terrain is probably fully mip-mapped, like StarCraft II terrain, Diablo III terrain, Heroes of the Storm terrain etc. As such it can support higher resolutions without aliasing occurring.

With chinese method i dont have to cut image or downsize it even 8 times + i dont loose original shape . This is why that method is revolutionary to me and your explanation is kinda reveletion ,just need to get it lol
You still have to factor in aliasing artefacts. At 1024*1024 per tile component practically all visual information will be aliasing, unless the texture is pre-filtered in which case it is pointless to use such a high resolution.

It is not a simple fix either. Mip-maps cannot be used for terrain as you will get visible seams forming between tile components which are very ugly. This is probably why mipmaps are disabled for terrain. Even if they were enabled it would mean BLP files had to be used which limits the texture to 512*512.

I recommend going with tile components of between 128 and 192 pixels at most. Anything higher is utterly pointless due to the excessive amount of aliasing visible.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
No this is not CSI Miami... In real life there is no point taking a low resolution image and making it a higher resolution image as no detail can be added. One can only draw in higher resolutions and then downsample to the require size.

Out of curiosity, could Detail Textures be implemented one way or another, for stock WC3 textures?

Detail Textures are generally 128x128 transparent grayscale images blended/overlayed onto a main texture which comes with little/poor detail by itself.

detailed_textures_in_half-life_2.jpg

They work with any video card supporting OpenGL 1.3, or its Direct3D equivalent. Therefore, they can add additional fine detail at very little computer resources cost (contrary to, say, bump mapping techniques).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Out of curiosity, could Detail Textures be implemented one way or another, for stock WC3 textures?
If one could modify the source code one could add normal maps or height maps which add far more surface detail than any texture alone can. Problem is only Blizzard can modify the source code...

Still does not fix the aliasing issue with terrain. As terrain does not use mipmaps one cannot use high resolution textures on it without aliasing causing problems and decreasing visual detail.

I am guessing detail maps work by adding a normalized difference to an existing texture? Hence the grey as 127 would be 0 and anything less is negative while anything more positive?

Level 1
up for an extremely stupid wish list?
If so , hear me out and have a nice laughter!

Have fun.

1. New and Exclusive expansion for makers.
  2. go to Steam .....
  3. 1 tick remove all.
    1. like , as I set my map as non-melee , all melee asset is removed right away
  4. Open-ended gameplay constant tweak , add-in. Extremely dynamic.
  5. Re-introduce upgrades system and how it interact with gameplay element, and make it more modern in some way(idk)!
  6. Modern custom spells.
    1. maker need to insert its functionality from scratch and made easy with GUI... like , its start only with name and icon , then its have unlimited amount of elements and can be define by its category and ends with something like a prompt of its state ; wether or not it still can be tweak from/through/by triggers.
  7. Modern WE , but considerably compatible.

Proceed to increase the stupidity to another level.

Exclusive Expansion for Makers

We understand , wc3 still has its image as competitive games.
But if we check the recent update , and what its focused on.
(wildly) We can assume , it is targeted on the makers.
And then the players.

MY biggest Insult: Steam

Kinda stupid to suggest this , blizzard already had their wing expanded into almost every single continent. The old excuse of "its hard to gain access to blizzard product legally" is no longer relevant. But who are you targeting at Blizzards? All else , you can have your professional analyst to do their job regarding this.

1 Tick of Powerful Stuff

No hate on melee. But it's as one of the example , the importance to have a powerful thing to do simple jobs. Especially the cinematic.

Open-Ended ; Gameplay Constant

Maybe not just gameplay constant! But this will be hard to do! Also the reason why I asked for a new expansion. Imagine what kind of stuff can we have from this ; Example , instead of having only 4 playable race(melee) , but now it can be more than that , no sacrifice to be made. And it is a real choice that can be made before the game even started. Imagine the possibilities.

Upgrade System

Ask the makers about what is so wrong about this system. Don't want to touch them. I have no right.

Everything related to Modern... modern this , modern that!

Makers want to make an ambitious map.
Players want to have fun playing the game.
While making these 2 possible , ask the makers ... how much is it takes to achieve it , then ask the players if they truly enjoys the games.

Let say it again , from my narrow perspective. And stupid. And baseless. And biased. And braindead...

"Why not sc2?" ... to me , this is a legitimate question to ask. But have you ever asked your sc2 team , whats makes sc2 sc2's?

<line breaks>

As closing to this insane amount of stupidity of a wish list. Lets go into higher level of stupidity. No saving from here on.

1. Ditch the old OS , as if they still want to run TFT. I Don't CARE
  2. Powerful Editor rivaling Galaxy for WC3
    1. YES! f.o.r. WC3
  3. WC4 is impossible ; but at least this will do.
  4. New expansion =/= remaster , hd remake etc. Rather than A patch that keep on destroying , lets have an expansion that Reintroducing!
    1. remember that time when ROC into TFT? Why not do that again?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Blizzard should be looking into lowering the built-in delay on Battle.net now
Why? If anything internet has more latency now than ever before due to the wide spread use of wireless and other unreliable physical levels as well as the shift of Warcraft II audience from developed countries to less developed countries.

Making the setting too low will render the game unplayable for some players. If it is too low such players constantly suffer lag bursts and the entire session stutters waiting for them. The best they could do would be to dynamically detect the worst case latency between all players and adjust accordingly.

Level 12
My personal wishes for upcoming patxhes are:
1. Tweak graphics a bit. (Same as with WoW, they use ancient game engine and do wonders with it)
2. More functions in Editor. (Features JNGE has and more)
3. I want to TEST a campaign map when I press TEST button, not the abomination which has all imported files from my campaign missing, forcing me to manually search for my campaign and repeat that after every change.
4. Better resolution/scale.
5. Overall improvements to models etc.
6. Let us select as many units as we want, not only 12 at once. (Yeah fuck groups)

Yes I am a simple man. :3

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
1. Tweak graphics a bit. (Same as with WoW, they use ancient game engine and do wonders with it)
WoW engine was recently upgraded. It also is a lot newer than Warcraft III to start with. After the upgrade the system requirements were also raised.

WC3 cannot simply be tweaked due to using the fixed function pipeline. Even if it were migrated to newer graphics APIs, it would still raise the system requirements.

4. Better resolution/scale.
WC3 supports 1080p. I do not see any reason for it to not support 4k.

That said widescreen support is lacking, meaning one is forced to play WC3 with black bars on the side. Hopefully widescreen support is going to be added.

5. Overall improvements to models etc.
That would need a lot of development resources. They only did a few for StarCraft II when they ported all WC3 assets to it.

Useing a Different Internet Carrier like Verison instead of ATAT, tired of Desyncing. when every other game i dont disconnect
Should only affect melee where BattleNet hosts the games. All custom maps are hosted by third party ISPs, the ISP of the host. If you disconnect from BattleNet when playing a custom game, the game continues as if nothing happened as the game has nothing to do with BattleNet. Many players one plays with on robots are not even logged into any BattleNet region and are instead connecting via VPN or other third party lists.

Level 12
That said widescreen support is lacking, meaning one is forced to play WC3 with black bars on the side. Hopefully widescreen support is going to be added.

Exactly what I meant when I wrote better resolution and scaling. Widescreen support it is, not the stretched graphics or black bars you're mentioning, but actual widescreen support.

As for the system requirements part and upgrading the Warcraft III graphics, I see no issue with it because game has the old graphics, dating from back when it was made, whereas we are in 2017 right now and everyone has modern PC's which will support a bit of requirement increase.

Last edited:
Level 12
Not everyone has modern PC's.
Actually ton of them don't have modern PC's.

Nowhere in my post I wrote that I expect some drastic high quality improvements, new engine and what not. A mere upgrade, nothing too drastic. On top of that, I am well aware that not everyone has a modern PC seeing as my own dates back from 2008 (not a single change in components since then, but it was a beast back in it's prime) and I can't even play these new games myself. (GTA V, Archeage, WoW on medium/low now etc.)

However, without a doubt I could run a game of quality such as the new Starcraft and what not. As much as people don't have modern PC's, they don't play on Sega Genesis either. Without a doubt everyone would be able to run Warcraft III with slightly updated/improved graphics and perhaps some better shaders, etc.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
As for the system requirements part and upgrading the Warcraft III graphics, I see no issue with it because game has the old graphics, dating from back when it was made, whereas we are in 2017 right now and everyone has modern PC's which will support a bit of requirement increase.
However the game is sold with a lot lower system requirements. This would cause issues with false advertising.

Not like I stated that I want "The Black Desert" graphics quality.
Quality is not the problem, it is the hardware that is. Only modern graphic hardware supports modern graphic APIs. That D3D8 card that can currently run WC3 will fail if WC3 is boosted even to need only D3D9 hardware, which is ancient by todays standards of D3D12.

That said the cheapest GPU today, costing a bottle of the cheapest wine or two and supporting D3D12, is more than enough to max out WC3 with AA and probably at HD resolutions as well. In theory migrating to an API like D3D11 or 12 would even boost WC3 performance due to lower driver overhead, if one has the hardware to run it.

However, without a doubt I could run a game of quality such as the new Starcraft and what not. As much as people don't have modern PC's, they don't play on Sega Genesis either. Without a doubt everyone would be able to run Warcraft III with slightly updated/improved graphics and perhaps some better shaders, etc.
Only the legacy 32 bit builds. Both Diablo III (another similar aged game) and Heroes of the Storm (more recent SC2 engine) have 64 bit builds which use D3D11. These builds have significantly higher system requirements than the legacy 32 bit builds but also have significantly higher performance on systems that can run them. Look at the technical support forums for both games and you can see that a lot of people cannot run the 64 bit builds for various reasons.

Are you talking about people who don't own PC's at all or generally just trolling me?
People who earn like 100$ a month, of which most is spent on food and accommodation. Just because they are extremely poor does not mean they do not diserve access to recreational entertainment such as video games. Most of the current WC3 player pool is made up of poor people from Asia and South America. More well off gamers such myself (who uses a computer from 2011 although with upgraded GPU due to a failure and more memory) are a tiny minority.

Last edited:
Level 12
Average payment in my country (Serbia) is approximately around 200-250 euro, of which 300-350 euro is needed for comfortable life, semi-filled fridge and day-to-day things, no joy or fun whatsoever. So, on top of that, I am "lucky" to have received my PC back in 2008 thanks to my parents' car accident and my mother receiving some money from the agency thanks to her broken shoulder, all ribs on left side and foot. She has metal in her shoulder to support it standing in place to this very day, and will carry it for the rest of her life.

@Dr Super Good you wrote technical stuff there which I have no idea about, since I suck at hardware and how all that stuff works, but still I appreciate you taking your time to clear things up with proper arguments. As for @BloodDrunk , there you have it. We are all living a harmony as you see in my post.

Topic which clearly states "patch WISH list". I just merely stated what I'd personally love to see in Warcraft 3, regardless of how much close to realism it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.