• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Warcraft 2: The remake

Level 20
Warcraft II Tides of Darkness Remake
IS COMPLETE AND AVAILABLE

Warcraft II Beyond The Dark Portal Remake
IS ON HOLD

It's been quite several years now. Took longer than expected and yet, despite the original Warcraft 2 Campaigns have been successfully remade, this is but half-way till the end of the journey, as the expansion has yet to see its start. The reason is

PROJECT IS NOW FOCUSED ON
SECRET ToD Remake CAMPAIGNS

Featuring the Nations of Alterac and Gilneas

There are still few minor bugs. Unfortunately I had to rely mostly on myself for the beta-testing of the Enhanced Orc Campaign, and I was lucky I had some help for its Normal Mode.
Fixes for said imperfections will be released along with the Secret Campaigns, and the update will also include new units, some added abilities and several adjustments on some maps.
Here's the rest of the original post below, reiterating the key-features of this project; what mostly makes it original from others.

It will be possible to select between "normal" and "enhanced" version at the beginning of each campaign.
Normal mode will set the standard campaign playthrough, with common cinematics and briefings.
Enhanced mode will show more lore-wise detailed scenes and will allow the player to choose few of the many factions to play the campaign with. Each nation/clan in this mode has their weakness and power, something less and something more compared to others, but their techtree won't be twisted like it was intended to be in my concept/ideas thread.
This mode will also unlock selectable heroes and much more for BtDP.
Below is a small set of images(like the ones from Znoopy) just to tease a little bit, and to give a kind of hint about "what lies and what may lie ahead".

azeroth-jpg.264830

stromgarde-jpg.264831

lordaeron-jpg.264832

dalaran-jpg.264833

alterac-jpg.264835
gilneas-jpg.386190

gilneas-jpg.264834

(i know this is Lightbringer's face, not Greymane's, but the look is typical of his character, and the icon itself has a kind of a neutral aspect)

THE HORDE HASN'T RESTED ON ITS LAURELS AND AFTER SIX YEARS THE ORCISH CLANS ARE READY TO BRING DOWN THE TIDES OF DARKNESS UPON THE HUMANS!

blackrock-jpg.383972

stormreaver-jpg.328061

blacktooth-jpg.328058

burningblades-jpg.418137

bleedinghollow-jpg.376974

twilighthammers-jpg.328062

Last edited:
Level 20
What's the difference between normal and enhanced? Will you play the same missions? Will you choose the faction or it will be selected depending on the map?
In normal mode you play the same identical game as the original warcraft 2.
Enhanced mode activates extra cinematics, selectable factions(you choose one throughout the entire campaign) and their advantages/weaknesses.

Level 2
Will different factions have their unique models or just different stats? If it is the former, I have the following resources as a contribution for the project. They belong to paladinjst so give him the credit if you use them in the project. Keep up the goodwork;)
Ps: They are Footman skins.

Attachments

• GuardKultiras.BLP
    107.9 KB · Views: 633
  • GuardLordaeron.BLP
    111.1 KB · Views: 611
  • GuardStormwind.BLP
    110.7 KB · Views: 536
  • GuardStromgarde.BLP
    98.8 KB · Views: 525
Level 20
Will different factions have their unique models or just different stats? If it is the former, I have the following resources as a contribution for the project. They belong to paladinjst so give him the credit if you use them in the project. Keep up the goodwork;)
Ps: They are Footman skins.
hey thanks. I've seen the skins but i'll think i will use something else i already have.

Level 14
This is the most important project to come across the hive and has a go from all that have attempted it.

I pray this see completion. All 4 campaigns as opposed to your orig8nal 2 intent is more then anyone could ask for.

You and your team are our only hope to have a definitive edition of Warcraft 2. Do not lose drive no matter what life throws and keep everything backed up so hard drive death doesnt end the dreams of everyone that wishes to see this work come to fruition.

Blizzard has no love for their early games but you have lovingly presevered warcraft 1 and its enhanced mode. And hopefully we have warcraft 2 to longingly play again and again.

You deserve the millions blizzard would make just for adding these old games as an unoficcial wc3 expansion. But then across warcraft 3. Starcraft. TES ect its apparent that passionate dedicated modders preserve and keep games great decades later.

We will never get a game like warcraft 3 again but thanks to everyone on hive the game has at least 50 on par campaigns to the vanilla game.

Thank you so much for your past work and future work to come lordperenolde

Level 20
And when do you expect to see this finished?
How can i even determinate how long it will take?
If you know who I am you should know what i am(and what i've been) capable of. This time i have data, stats, experience and, most of all, help; so it won't take 6 years like the first remake.
Have faith.

Level 20
The team already did what they had to. The rest of the job comes to me. Like placing triggers, building ai, cinematics and so on. The problem is not time, as i can actually make time. The problem is that i have tons of things that are taking away my attention from the project. That's why I thought of the second half of july, where I'm in holiday and where I'd normally get bored when I'm home away from the fun and other things that concern a holiday time.
Once i get started with that i might have enough data in a way that i can copy and paste it to other maps, so that the job would flow faster and easier.

Level 20
Project is basically suspended until futher notice.
I'm busy with the Tekken World Tour(for who doesn't know, i'm The Phantom in the Tekken environment) at the moment, and besides that, The Division has taken by now lots of attention too.
I managed to complete only two maps of the human campaign during my holiday period, as well as overwriting the stats and the upgrades for the remake. I thought of putting aside the idea of custom techtrees because of the more time it would take.
I feel ashamed for the team. The guys didn't respond to a message last month, and i don't blame them. I feel i have to apologize as well for when i said "have faith", because negative mood took me away from it. It has to come, and so far i don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Now enough bs, there's no excuse for such incompetence.

EDIT: i may reprise, leave, ecc. randomly on a daily basis, or not. It depends.

Last edited:
Level 3
I am working on a wc2 melee map that intends to use the different nations and clans... have you decided whether you are using different custom units for the factions or only modification to stats or both? Also I would like your thoughts on how to setup the orc clan/factions techtree and specialties.

Level 2
I am really skeptical.
Are you starting with the Normal mode or already doing Enhanced ?
If the latter, are you not afraid that you would be thinking too big and end up killing the project ?
An episodic release (starting by normal mode, and the base game) would ensure that even in case of project death your work does not go to waste.
This is not personal, it's just that many projects are very ambitious and die without releasing anything.

Level 14
Id agree to a point. You said you had the maps completed some time ago. Before the advanced mode is done assuming there will be the default wc2 and enhanced one like your wc1 remakes.

A playable wc2 campaign that isnt broken like the others would be appreciative. Release one at a time then develope you hard mode. Would like to hear what your long term plans are for this or if its still in hiatus.

I can fully play wc2 bnet edition on win10 so its not too big a deal. Im happy to have your wc1 remakes which HAVE entirely replaced the original orcs and humans game in my eyes with no fear of compatability troubleshooting ancient software

Level 2
I was indeed planning to put an option to select between "normal mode" and "enhanced mode". The enhanced mode will not be "hard", but will contain tons of more stuff to play with, that will hence "enhance" the gameplay.

Okay, but what is your release plan ? Only releasing once both normal and enhanced mode are over ? Would it not be a bit risky ? If you do them both at the same time but the project becomes too big for you, it may die and it will be all for nothing. While if you first release normal mode, which is a task a bit smaller, you will know that even if you need to stop working on the project, all is not lost.

Level 20
Okay, but what is your release plan ? Only releasing once both normal and enhanced mode are over ? Would it not be a bit risky ?
nononononono! I'll finish one thing, then release it and then work on the other.

If you do them both at the same time but the project becomes too big for you, it may die and it will be all for nothing. While if you first release normal mode, which is a task a bit smaller, you will know that even if you need to stop working on the project, all is not lost.
Indeed this is what happened over the past summer, but accomplice to this is much more stuff to do outside the project, and this is why i need to regulate myself about it, and you're damn right about it.

Level 14
nononononono! I'll finish one thing, then release it and then work on the other.

Indeed this is what happened over the past summer, but accomplice to this is much more stuff to do outside the project, and this is why i need to regulate myself about it, and you're damn right about it.
Wc3 still has years of life left in it. We have seen a surge in campaigns in updates lately and the revival of heart of storms even

Your wc1 took awhile just a bit at a time

Level 20
Demo campaign is almost complete, but the project has stuff imported which concerns the whole thing plus the enhanced version as well. I forgot which files are with which model so i'm afraid that removing something will cause models and stuff to not work. As a matter of fact I will only release it for few testers(probably @Jayborino too?) as soon as it'll be playable, including members of team.
Once i'll get going with the scripts everything should speed up.

Level 14
Demo campaign is almost complete, but the project has stuff imported which concerns the whole thing plus the enhanced version as well. I forgot which files are with which model so i'm afraid that removing something will cause models and stuff to not work. As a matter of fact I will only release it for few testers(probably @Jayborino too?) as soon as it'll be playable, including members of team.
Once i'll get going with the scripts everything should speed up.
Well obviously im a tester

Level 11
Nice project! I've been wanting to do a remake of Warcraft II ToD and BtDP myself, but couldn't find the time. It's quite a big project! Dunno if I'll be able to do it someday. Hope you'll be successful. :)

Level 11
I'd like to, but I'm snowed under with a huge pile of work right now, and I also have my own current projects :)
However I might be able to do a bit of testing someday if you need it, or share ideas. I don't think I would be of great help with triggers, since I have good but very basic knowledge in that field.

Btw, apart from faction choice and cinematics, do you intend to create a faithful replica of the War II campaigns (terrain,...), or will you make your own adapted version of the game? (with different terrain, game mechanics, etc)

Level 14
I'd like to, but I'm snowed under with a huge pile of work right now, and I also have my own current projects :)
However I might be able to do a bit of testing someday if you need it, or share ideas. I don't think I would be of great help with triggers, since I have good but very basic knowledge in that field.

Btw, apart from faction choice and cinematics, do you intend to create a faithful replica of the War II campaigns (terrain,...), or will you make your own adapted version of the game? (with different terrain, game mechanics, etc)
Terrain is gonna be same

Level 20
UPDATE ON THE PROJECT: At the moment it's officially in STALL due to us being busy trying to figure out how to unlock a final riddle that would help us solving this oil harvest system puzzle. We are but relatively close to do this and it's the only step that's dividing us from success. So far many(if not every) projects have been resulting either crashy, buggy or abandoned due to the system code attempts being a failure every time. Success is but within the reach of our grasps. After that everything is going to be on a downhill guaranteed.

Level 14
UPDATE ON THE PROJECT: At the moment it's officially in STALL due to us being busy trying to figure out how to unlock a final riddle that would help us solving this oil harvest system puzzle. We are but relatively close to do this and it's the only step that's dividing us from success. So far many(if not every) projects have been resulting either crashy, buggy or abandoned due to the system code attempts being a failure every time. Success is but within the reach of our grasps. After that everything is going to be on a downhill guaranteed.

I'm so excited for this. but with the Classic team updating WC3 all the time now I think at this point just use oil rigs as Gold Since the mines are limited on gold in WC2 anyhow. The odds of any oil resource breaking between all thease updates and the inevitable WC3 Remaster probably in 2019 / 2020 is sadly high.

However its you and your teams vision and I have entire faith in whatever you choose to do. Your masterpiece of the WC1 enhanced remakes are all the credability from you I need to know that WC2 Remake is in the best hands.

Level 1
@LordPerenoldeII I've recently played through @Stormshock 's Warcraft II: Human Campaign and I must say that the oil system in it actually worked. I had no crashes or bugs with it whatsoever tbh. Have you given that one a try? (Sorry if you did or if there are some known problems with it for others, I haven't looked that deep into it. Just telling from experience here!)

Level 20
@LordPerenoldeII I've recently played through @Stormshock 's Warcraft II: Human Campaign and I must say that the oil system in it actually worked. I had no crashes or bugs with it whatsoever tbh. Have you given that one a try? (Sorry if you did or if there are some known problems with it for others, I haven't looked that deep into it. Just telling from experience here!)
Of course i did and if i came at this point it means something about it was out of the picture. It does have its flaws unfortunately. Stormshock himself is in my team and terrained one half of the project, anyway.

Level 1
I'm not worrying, I just like to find out new stuff about the W3 editor in the hopes that I'll one day contribute maps or just make my own for fun ^_^

Level 20
I'm not worrying, I just like to find out new stuff about the W3 editor in the hopes that I'll one day contribute maps or just make my own for fun ^_^
Well, in order to be effective 100%, the system has to rely on hashtables and an intricated scheme of triggers that extends through this kind of variables. Doing it just with simple triggers it causes tankers to bug around, and that's the main problem. I tried my very best, had many ideas, but in the end i gave up with it, and turned to the hashtable mechanism i found(and have yet to complete). It's the path to take, and i'm getting there.