1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Upcoming changes to skills and character models & new abilities

Discussion in 'Gaias Retaliation ORPG' started by Zwiebelchen, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I understand your concern, but I don't think we are going to run into problems with the current implementation. As you lose your other summoning abilities, it kinda makes up for the power that creeps have over normal minions. Also, it comes with the significant drawback that once you lose your possessed creature, there's no way to get it back other than possessing a new one. So in the end, I assume only hardcore players will actually use this spell in dungeons (as they would have to enter/leave the dungeon every time they need to re-possess). Which imho is fine. The skeletons will always be the main focus of the necromancer.

Consider possession more as a funny experimental skill that might or might not make a difference in a difficult battle. I never intended the game to always be perfectly balanced on e-sports level. There's always gonna be some spells, items or battles that are added just for fun or simply for coolness factor. I don't want Gaias to be too close to an MMO experience. It should always be taken as what it is: a warcraft III funmap.

As long as possession isn't outright "broken", it's fine if some possessed creeps might be more useful than others. I want players to play with the game mechanics and think about them and use them to their advantage.
    That's why I never randomized the cooldowns of Lady Carimedraz to get rid of that "Inferno Taunt" tactic that wasn't my initial intention on how to beat the encounter.
    That's also why I implemented items like the Glacier Staff or why the Crucify ability only hits enemies in a cross-shape instead of circle. You won't find something like this in real MMOs, because it's more trouble than it's worth if you make a game on a commercial basis.

Some metagaming here and there is imho an important fun factor to any multiplayer game. I love numbercrunching and I love exploiting some game mechanics here and there. I wouldn't want that to go entirely, honestly.

tl:dr - if it doesn't ruin the fun for other players, it's fine if it is a little imbalanced.

2. morning

morning

Resources:
    Resources:
    Why don't you try the hunter pawn can ride?

3. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

4. morning

morning

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sorry, I not too would English, I though think a good idea but can't communicate with you.

5. morning

morning

Resources:
    Resources:
    I have a question about 2 errors, do you know hunter cannot pick the quest item at lv 10 into inventory and it's wrongly modified entering"The Bandit Hideout" when come out from "The Bandit Hideout"?

6. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I think I understand what you are saying now. The first is a bug that's going to be fixed in the next version. You can still complete this quest on older versions of this map if you can't wait.
    The latter ... I think you are referring to the message that displays when leaving and that it is wrong? Didn't notice, gonna check that.

7. meraioan

meraioan

Resources:
    Resources:
    Whats the ETA on the new update?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  8. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    It will still take a while. I'm still working on the new character models and couldn't find the time to finish them yet.

9. Ihazdialup

Ihazdialup

Resources:
    Resources:
    Im assuming that all of those stats are going to be capped at 25.

And to deal with the crit damage and bonus. Will it be (1.XX)(current critchance) or is it (current critchance%)+(x%) where x is the level of the ability basically since each level adds +1% chance.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  10. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    It's a linear bonus. So 25 points in luck will add 25% crit, not increase your current crit by 25%.

11. PachaXD

PachaXD

Resources:
    Resources:
    great!

Just amaizing job! im really looking forward for that stats remake, seems amaizing and will really bring diversity to the game, the ways to customize our characters have never been this good, time to start trying out builds at all classes! i just hope for a dummy, please xD im in love with that skill for serker tank which resets on evasion, just great to have something that hopefully we can spam a bit more ! i STILL think that serker needs a lower cd more spameable skill, at least at the dps branches for now :/ necro seems like going in the right path, yet not still there. As for sorc i wanted some changes in our general rotation xD now im probably changing spell mirror for that "blink" and mmm maybe fireball for pull :D will need to see haha. The era of str crusaders is finally here.... long awaited day! thanks! lol :D and well those are my favorite classes sn i wont talk much about the others haha overall amaizing, thanks for this game <3

12. Ihazdialup

Ihazdialup

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'd love to see a berserker skill that consumes stacks of berserker rage, but if only you're still able to obtain stacks of berserker rage after you use that skill.

13. Malygos10

Malygos10

Resources:
    Resources:
    So does that mean that you'll be able to actually control possessed creeps? But even so it still loses 50% of its hp.

I've never heard of enchant or holy persuation being overpowered. Sure you can utilize neutrals if you have good micro management skills, but their spells are the farthest thing from overpowered. You will NEVER be able to win a game with a couple of dominated neutrals with shitty skills. Do you even know what you're talking about? Also consider that even if those spells were as overpowered as you play them out to be (even though it's laughable), in chen's case you're basically sacrificing the fifth slot for an almost useless hero that can contribute very little in teamfights and has to rely on micro. As for enchantress, well she's extremely squishy and the enchanted creeps only last for a couple of minutes (forgot how long it was, I don't play enchantress)

14. Ihazdialup

Ihazdialup

Resources:
    Resources:
    Can we please stop having flame wars over DoTA on this forums, if you have a bone to pick can you please move it to private messages?

Thank You, I may not be a mod, but I feel like this flame wars over DoTA, a game in no way related to Gaias, just leads to pointless insults and dislike for one another.

Again, Thank You for reading.

15. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Just to give a small status update;
    I'm almost done with the rework of the cleric character model. There's just some minor adjustments left. As soon as those are done, I will give you a new screenshot.

Next on my list is the magician model.

16. Ihazdialup

Ihazdialup

Resources:
    Resources:
    Can we not add dispel magic to bishop, I feel like that takes away uniqueness from the Magician classes since they already get the exact same skill.

17. Kyuzo_dono

Kyuzo_dono

Resources:
    Resources:
    I feels the exact sames. I even hypothesized that someone has hacked Zwieb's forum account and is toying with us. Not that he wasn't originally too.. what with the "dance my puppets dance" thing there.

18. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I added it to allow for new mechanics on bossfights that require dispel.

With just the magician having a dispel spell, group composition would be way too limited in those cases. Remember that the bishop has to sacrifice something for dispel. And the magician aswell. So this allows a little bit more freedom.

19. Ihazdialup

Ihazdialup

Resources:
    Resources:
    Okay, fair enough

20. Jumbo

Jumbo

Resources:
    Resources:
    I thought about this Zwei. Why not make the variation through the bishop version being aoe? So you dispel several targets inside an aoe circle, but the spell is more costly and perhaps longer cooldown. That would add variation while keeping the basic functionality the same.