• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Cinematic] The Lone Panther

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Don't ever make a cinematic like Black Riverside again. If you do I will never watch it. I hate horror :O

It disturbs me, I watched it about last year (when I was younger and dumber :() and got disturbed by it at night. O.O

That scary sound the bleeding villager on fire screams out, something about his wife o.o

Level 14
Don't ever make a cinematic like Black Riverside again. If you do I will never watch it. I hate horror :O

It disturbs me, I watched it about last year (when I was younger and dumber :() and got disturbed by it at night. O.O

That scary sound the bleeding villager on fire screams out, something about his wife o.o

Well, the Lone Panther 2 has some horror elements, although admittedly it sort of is more action than horror.

As for the voice acting... well, fine. I will watch LP 3 again, fix anything I think needs fixing and try to get as much atmospheric music to make up for the lack of voice acting. Hopefully, I should be finished within a week with the improvements and I'll release part 3 as well as the slightly modified Clown of As'Latur.

Last edited:
Level 19
Well, the Lone Panther 2 has some horror elements, although admittedly it sort of is more action than horror.

As for the voice acting... well, fine. I will watch LP 3 again, fix anything I think needs fixing and try to get as much atmospheric music to make up for the lack of voice acting. Hopefully, I should be finished within a week with the improvements and I'll release part 3 as well as the slightly modified Clown of As'Latur.

Awesome. But make sure to update the map later in case you do get the voice actors. :D

Level 8
uh, he probably won't bother since he even has problems finding voice actors for his NEW cinematic series.

Level 9
Blargh, I sound like Akama when I'm trying to do the Naga voice.

Edit: OK got my voice as close as I could to male Naga, if you want to hear the first line from the previous page just give the say so... and probably tell me how to send it to you or paste it somewhere online or something.

Last edited:
Level 14
Sorry guys for not coming on for these 2 weeks, but my pc had some issues (Yet again!) and I was forced to find my old pc until my regular one gets repaired. I believe that I have some portable drives containing TLP 3 so I might be able to publish it once I find it.

I'll give more info once I locate the map.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Just yesterday or the day before I was thinking «damn, I want to watch The Lone Panther again». It's been quite some time now?
I don't think I payed enough attention to your last post, but remember that you sent me a nearly-finished version of the third episode. I still have it on my hard drive and can send it to you if you couldn't recover it.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I have sent a private message to Asomath. The World Is Flat told me he had this «box of voice actors», and since this project is in dire need of such people, I thought I should find you a few.
I'm not sure whether Asomath has already done work for you, but I searched this thread and found no posts submitted by him, so I deduced he hasn't or is simply not aware of this setback on the series.

Level 14
ya he has great voice actors, he did some for me on my RPG which sadly failed.

i have a great mic, and top notch software like cubase and audacity to record my voice i bet i could do some for you as well

Didn't know you did VO's TDH. Your still keeping that RPG in your sig...are you ever going to consider reviving it?

I have sent a private message to Asomath. The World Is Flat told me he had this «box of voice actors», and since this project is in dire need of such people, I thought I should find you a few.
I'm not sure whether Asomath has already done work for you, but I searched this thread and found no posts submitted by him, so I deduced he hasn't or is simply not aware of this setback on the series.

Thanks for PMing me Rui. I'm actually surprised I never found myself watching the series before. I guess I always knew it was one of the Hive's gems, but I never got around to it when I saw them name, and eventually I forgot. So, thanks for referring me Rui.

So, right down to it, I started with The Lone Panther. I read some posts in this thread about watching the Sect of the Holy Mother series first or I won’t get it. However, I'm not sure if you realize how much this series can be enjoyed without watching SotHM. You have created a sequel cinematic series in which the audience does not have to watch the former to be able to enjoy it. And that alone is enough to make TLP admirable.

The dialogue itself is very beautifully written, and especially so if English is your second language. The inclusion of different accents, which is small but sometimes overlooked, was an excellent idea.

And then we come to the last voice...*sigh*...the voice actors. They aren't delivering the lines. Voice actors are in, at the core, a field of acting. As with all acting, Voice Actors have to be able to connect and put themselves in the role of the character they are speaking. If they cannot find some emotional connection to derive from, then the voice will be unsuccessful. And then there is another problem I suspect, which is the capacity of the equipment at use. Most of the VA's probably do not own a sound-proof recording studio or at least a screen for the mic. As a result, the VA's will be unable to record beyond the volume or tone of a normal conversation, which can be a problem when trying to invoke the emotions of fear, panic, despair, wrath, or excitement.

A good move was casting yourself as the main character. It would be a miracle to find someone to read all of the lines, while staying committed in a timely manner. The Hive is also going to be your primary place for Warcraft-Unique voiceovers (such as Naga) and voiceovers on the longer end (30+ lines). However, I would be glad to help you with voiceovers regarding any secondary characters you may have in order to complete Pt. 3. I am not sure if you have a current character list for what needs to be done, but if you send me one, I'll get some voice actors to do some beautiful recordings for the characters. For example, your Deckard Cain character, there is a very skilled friend I've worked with numerous times who does the deep movie trailer voices, who, when he pulls out his "sage" character, sounds just like the character you describe.

As for my current activity situation, I am leaving in a week to do university work at Princeton during the month of July. It'll be very work intensive, but I'll have Sundays off, so I'll work with you on those days, and any time I have after my daily assignments are complete.

Cheers,
~Asomath

Level 14
Thanks for responding, Asomath.

I'm really busy these days since my university entry exam is coming up in four days, so I really don't have any time to spend on the pc. After I finish the exam and get a day or two rest I'll see where I left of and how much needs to be done, as well as try to find all the voice sets I already had done.

Anyway, you'll most likely hear from me sometime near the end of the week.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Level 14
Good news and great news. Not sure which is which though :D

The first thing that needs to be said is that the Lone Panther project is revived and will come back for at least another episode, and depending on the reception and, well, how long my motivation holds, another two episodes. So you might be looking forward to three parts of the Lone Panther. Part 3 is in the final stages, where I left off and sometime later this month I'll be receiving the missing voice actings.

The second bit of news is regarding the Tales of Kaliim Special Edition. Namely, The Clown of As'Latur. The cinematic shows great promise in creating a whole new field of warcraft 3 cinematics and it came quite close to winning the 4th cinematic contest. I have tweaked a few small details and added an intro. You can find the map here.

That's all from me. Have a pleasant summer guys, and make sure to drop by once in a while to see how things are coming along.

Level 14
Indeed. While I'm still missing a few voice files the main issue is that I barely have any time to spend on my PC now that university has started. Pretty much all my projects I've been working on have once again been paused.

I really wish I could continue working on warcraft cinematics, especially now after all this time when my storytelling has improved significantly, but the fact of the matter is that there just isn't enough time, and what little time I do have to work on projects I prioritize on TES Oblivion and a stand alone game I've started working on.

I can't say that I'm done with warcraft and I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to say that, by at this current point in my life I simply don't have the time to produce cinematics, even though I have ideas for at least ten stand alone series.

Level 14
I might start working on a new cinematic this spring break. Same world, Kaliim, but not directly related to any of my previous work. Once I finish my final exam I'll see if I can come up with a good, compact plot that can fit into a 20 minute cinematic.

My question is, is there anybody out there I can consider for potential voice acting. I don't know how many characters the cinematic will have nor if I'll even need additional voice actors, but it might help me form my plot and characters if I know I have voice actors before hand.

Reactions: Rui

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Nice to see you around!

So, I suppose Asomath never contacted you back regarding the voice acting? Want me to send him a private message?

By the way, remember telling me that you wanted a campaign screen if you were to make a cinematic compilation that I once suggested? Well, in Modeling Contest #20, people will be making campaign screens, I already made a post mentioning Sect of the Holy Mother.

Level 18
*prays for a nice conspiracy story*
I just love those as you might be aware of xD

Anyway, if nobody jumped out of the window with bleeding ears after hearing my voice, I'm still available. If a lot of people jumped like that, I definitely want to 'help' again :p

Reactions: Rui
Level 14
Rui, thanks for making that suggestion. Asomath did contact me and he gave me most of the voices, but after getting a new PC and relocating my old hard drive I'm afraid some of them got lost in the cluster.

Avator, I'm glad to hear that as I consider you a good voice actor. As for the storyline, well, you'll just have to wait and see :)

Level 14
Well, as soon as I get the chance, come Monday, I'll see which files am I exactly missing and will then contact him to see if there's any chance he has them.

As for the possible upcoming cinematic, I did a bit of script writing (just the basic scenes, no dialogues or details yet) and I think I just might make this. I don't want to give any details out yet as I'm not even sure this will become a reality, but I'll know more once I put the basic outline on the story and terrain once spring break starts.

Even if I decide to make it and things go smoothly don't expect it before mid summer, because as soon as spring break is over I'll have to start preparing the exams for June.

Anyway, Lone Panther 3 might be released during spring break, if I can find all the dialogues.

Level 13
Hey CMarket,
If you are looking for some voice acting work, feel free to contact me...I've done my share of voice acting and still am doing some voice acting from time to time.

Good to hear you are setting things up again. Good luck!

Level 14
Thanks for the offers, guys.

Hemlock, I'm really glad to hear it. I've heard some of your work and it's great, so should I decide to work on this I'll definitely send you a pm.
It might help me to know what type of character you most like doing (or rather, are best at acting). Human, inhuman? Angry, sad, sarcastic, witty, etc?

Level 17
Greetings, I've watched your Clown of As'Latur, wich though a little criptic, was very enjoyable and well made, definitely one of the best cinematics I've had the pleasure to see. Now, I was looking forward to watch more of your work, such as The Lone Panther's first chapter, but for some reason it doesn't show on the map list, I've even tried putting it on a separate folder and nothing, the game just seems to not recognise it as a map. Any idea on why is that?

Level 14
Nasrudin, I'm afraid that might be the case. I might release the third installment of the series, but I seriously doubt I'll do anything beyond that.

Anyway, I've just drawn the basic outline of the terrain for my potential new project (in photoshop, not the WE). I've also written the basic shape of the story and at it's current state I'm quite pleased with it. Now, I'm not sure how long the cinematic will last, or even if I should split it into two chapters (as it might just be over 30 minutes). I'll decide as I go along. Also, just because I'm working on it doesn't mean I'll finish it soon, or ever for that matter, so don't expect anything just yet. Only after I've actually started working on it in the WE will I get a better picture.

If I do, however, finish the project, it won't be before July, or even August, as I have exams till mid June and only after that will I have some time to work on this.

In the meantime, it would be lovely if I could see more voice actors that can help me with the project. If you do choose to help me, I suppose you can expect to receive the dialogues at the start of July, and then having three or so weeks to record them. Basically, plenty of time.

Please note that everything stated above is still very prone to change so just keep that in mind.

I do have one question, though. Should I use High-Res Doodads? Since I've been away I'm not sure if there have been enough models made to complement the high res ones. Also, I've sort of always considered them a cheat, as it didn't require a lot of skill to make something look pretty when using them. They also significantly increase the file size. What do you guys think?

A good terrain is always a must. Since you are aiming for a decent product (with voices, sounds, etc.), I'd say use whatever represents the story the best and, if you have to sacrifice map space for this reason, I wouldn't mind waiting additional 20 seconds for that. :]

And seriously, start working on it, we don't care about your exams :D

(P.S. Did you get those sound files of R***a?)

Level 19
In the age of 10mbps and higher, why bother care about the download time? :) Devoted fans will wait patiently regardless of how long it takes to download them.

By the way, how about trying to record them and put it up as a YouTube video? Perhaps your work would gain significantly more exposure if you are able to deliver the content in a a lot more approachable and accessible way.

Just my two cents.

Level 17
Whenever you're pondering to use or not a custom resource in your map, I'd consider a simple point: would they fit with the atmosphere you're aiming to represent? You could have at your disposal the most amazing model ever produced, with catching animations and incredible detail... but then you're going to import it in a world where houses are literally four-sided boxes with two planes for roof and windows crayon-painted on them.

On the subject of hi-res doodads as "cheating", well, it depends. It is perhaps true that it's easy to make a scenery look good with them, but do you want people to think "Wow, that forest was amazing! So full of life, I could almost imagine what is like to be there!" or "Wow, those trees are amazing! I want them in my map. And the texture of the rocks, oh, man!"?
You can see where I'm going, ultimately you're telling a story, and the models are a tool, not an end, just like your voice acting, your choice of words, the music you'll put in. It is your responsability to make sure that all the elements you expose to the viewer flow well with each other, and that aren't fighting for the spotlight.

There's a balance to reach, somewhere. I think most doodads in the Ultimate Terraining map reached it quite well, being more detailed than the standard ones, but still true to the Wc3 style with using ingame textures. Personally I find the hi-res doodads too "serious" to fit with warcraft, but that doesn't mean they can't be used effectively.

In short, if you think that you can make those doodads blend well with the scenery and they won't distract the observer, go for it (I suspect you will need to reskin every unit you're going to put on screen, though). And do not worry about the map filesize, the 56k era is over thankfully...

Level 16
Huge fan :D, continue it!..

edit: got some small things to say..

First off.. your not good as voice actor, no matter how i see it. I believe you heard it yourself, your voice doesnt give any kind of feeling and is quite bored to hear, this is just my opinion..

Second i really like the terrain and all other stuff, but the masked hero's stand animation is really horrible. As he moves around random looking from side to side, i used him as well in a cinematic. But i decided he's a bad cinematic model.. Again i think you should be able to know all of this

Level 14
My voice acting has significantly improved since the Lone Panther project as this was the first project I voiced for.

For example, Borigard Smith in the Clown of As'Latur is significantly better than Henry, and since then my voice acting has only improved. Suffice to say, the Lone Panther was released over two and a half years ago, and all the skills I had then are just a fraction of my skills today.

As for the model, it's been already said, several times so no need to bring it up, especially considering I'm not going to change it, ever.

Level 14
Well, I've actually started working on something. It's something that came to me out of nowhere and isn't anywhere near what I thought my potential next project for warcraft would be, but there it is.

As a matter of fact it's probably better that I'm going on inspiration rather than planning, as plans regarding my projects have tended to fail the past year or two. Anyway, while it's still too early to say anything I think I have a good story set in mind with a great atmosphere. Hopefully I haven't completely forgotten to terrain.

I'll see how things go the next few days and I'll be able to make an estimate on when the project might be arriving. Hopefully this sudden motivation won't disappear soon.

Same world, not directly related to the Lone Panther, though somewhat related to the Clown of As'Latur and the Sect of the Holy Mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.