• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Future of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
yes, because that's how you supposed to play. suffer, but do not ask for any improvements. right?

Just move on to Company of Heroes, StarCraft 2 or any other more recent RTS if you want an up to date interface. UI alterations are, despite what you'd think, a royal pain in the ass to overhaul, and while that would be a wonderful addition, the likelihood of it being implemented is rather minuscule.
Plus many older games interface limitations are pretty much an integral part of the gameplay by now, just as WC3 is micro-heavy so separation of units into groups and heavy individual unit management are essential, so it is silly to demand Valve to add Call of Duty-style grenade indicators to Counter-Strike 1.6.

Level 19
Just move on to Company of Heroes, StarCraft 2 or any other more recent RTS if you want an up to date interface. UI alterations are, despite what you'd think, a royal pain in the ass to overhaul, and while that would be a wonderful addition, the likelihood of it being implemented is rather minuscule.
Plus many older games interface limitations are pretty much an integral part of the gameplay by now, just as WC3 is micro-heavy so separation of units into groups and heavy individual unit management are essential, so it is silly to demand Valve to add Call of Duty-style grenade indicators to Counter-Strike 1.6.

tell me more about "wc3 micro"-stuff when you trying to control Broodmother in dota1 vs dota2. Artificial limits are only useful when they are optional.

And no, I don't wanna move anywhere. Thats the most retarted option ever.

Level 11
I agree with Dracolich. I enjoy Warcraft 2 and even 1, but that doesn't mean I don't hate being able to only control 9 or 4 units at a time. Limited controls are not the essence of a game.

But I also agree that such an UI addition would probably be very difficult to implement even if Blizz would actually desire it - it's probably embedded very deep in the code of the game.

Level 6
The problem with extending the selection max is that formations are a thing in WC3.

It could also be a balancing issue if you could command larger troops with ease. 7 groups is 84 troops with 12 in each. If that was increased to say 30, then 7 groups would be 210 troops. That's 30 Frost Wyrms right there, iirc.
Now the food limit does stop that, but it also makes the ability to select 210+ troops easily pointless. Unless the default limit raises and large balancing patches came out, there's no point to selecting more than 12 at a time.

Level 27
It could also be a balancing issue if you could command larger troops with ease. 7 groups is 84 troops with 12 in each. If that was increased to say 30, then 7 groups would be 210 troops. That's 30 Frost Wyrms right there, iirc.
Now the food limit does stop that, but it also makes the ability to select 210+ troops easily pointless. Unless the default limit raises and large balancing patches came out, there's no point to selecting more than 12 at a time.

Also controlling so many troops at same time might be a pathfinding hell. Check out other RTSes of the period, like Command and Conquer Generals, large unit groups would create literal traffic jams.
Think only tile-based RTSes, say 2D ones like previous CnC games, or Earth 2150, had decent large group pathfinding.

Level 19
Also controlling so many troops at same time might be a pathfinding hell. Check out other RTSes of the period, like Command and Conquer Generals, large unit groups would create literal traffic jams.
Think only tile-based RTSes, say 2D ones like previous CnC games, or Earth 2150, had decent large group pathfinding.

hell. you'd rather think about tens of inappropriate cases of using something rather than agree on an option for that. hey, there's option to write an image on the ground, it can even contain a fucking nude pic of some guy. Why such dangerous function exists? Shouldnt blizzard delete it before some mapmaker will fuckup the game for some other people?

Level 6
hell. you'd rather think about tens of inappropriate cases of using something rather than agree on an option for that. hey, there's option to write an image on the ground, it can even contain a fucking nude pic of some guy. Why such dangerous function exists? Shouldnt blizzard delete it before some mapmaker will fuckup the game for some other people?
We're just being realistic from a developer's pov.:ogre_icwydt:

Level 27
Because it is quite likely the limit was kept in WC3 due to the pathfinding issues and congestion in the first place. If you were to have your group of units stuck in a congestion, you'd still have to micromanage them individually or in small groups, thus negating the whole benefit from large group selection in the first place. Even in games like footy where you have mostly open arena enemy unit groups will need to be accounted, and just the sheet amount of units looking up their location at the same time should be enough to cause considerable lag.

Level 19
Because it is quite likely the limit was kept in WC3 due to the pathfinding issues and congestion in the first place. If you were to have your group of units stuck in a congestion, you'd still have to micromanage them individually or in small groups, thus negating the whole benefit from large group selection in the first place. Even in games like footy where you have mostly open arena enemy unit groups will need to be accounted, and just the sheet amount of units looking up their location at the same time should be enough to cause considerable lag.

so mapmaker can use bad code to make his map laggy? hell who'd have an idea! I've never seen laggy maps before. Literatlly gamebreaking idea of creating another option. Well, Im done

Level 27
so mapmaker can use bad code to make his map laggy? hell who'd have an idea! I've never seen laggy maps before. Literatlly gamebreaking idea of creating another option. Well, Im done
Yes, because creating versatile tools that can be used well or badly depending on user's skill, and impact the performance of the mod, is same as spending time and effort reworking a hardcoded existing feature that is more than likely to be rendered useless and negated by the pathfinding issues. You are very good at drawing nonsensical parallels, congratulations, it's a very useful skill.

Level 15
I don't understand the parts of trying to compete with war3arena or makemehost, clearly they know what they are doing and are more dedicated so the best solution would be to just integrate them fully to the game somehow.

Hell, give war3arena their own server which you can queue for games which they can ban freely from.

Level 32
I don't understand the parts of trying to compete with war3arena or makemehost, clearly they know what they are doing and are more dedicated so the best solution would be to just integrate them fully to the game somehow.

Hell, give war3arena their own server which you can queue for games which they can ban freely from.

Blizzard's social media has actually (promoted?) mentioned the W3arena platform when covering some of Back2Warcraft's ladder casting whereabouts. I believe they'll do the thing fair in relation to the W3arena community.

As for MMH, I don't know. I'd be sad to see it go but I don't think they'll do it.

But where are these "parts of trying to compete" coming from, anyway, Pinzu? I'm a bit confused.

Level 15
Blizzard's social media has actually (promoted?) mentioned the W3arena platform when covering some of Back2Warcraft's ladder casting whereabouts. I believe they'll do the thing fair in relation to the W3arena community.

As for MMH, I don't know. I'd be sad to see it go but I don't think they'll do it.

But where are these "parts of trying to compete" coming from, anyway, Pinzu? I'm a bit confused.

Well maybe my got ahead of myself, but from the document a lot of emphasis was put on the current hosting situation which is a problem, but trying to remake it how it works entirely is probably not going to work and not worth the effort it will take when you have decent solutions already. The only issue is that not everyone knows about it so that's why I called for integrating it more.

What they should fix is when copying text from MMH to join that game in wc3 you can cause a disconnect which temprarily bans you from the server you were on.

if the cg list was cleaned up and just told you name of host, how many players, and your ping to that host; you know things which every game client usually does it would go a long way. ^^

Honestly though, there just needs to be a button in the custom game menu which takes you to http://makemehost.com/games.php and it would be mostly settled. Sure it's an ugly solution, but it would work wouldn't it? :d

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Only now it's guaranteed that people are thinking about it with an actual change upcoming and we even have some influence in it's decision. In 5-10 years when maybe a completely different team of people will work on wc3 (if at all) it will be much harder to get the matter on the table again. [...]

Now, what if *this* is the future of Warcraft (if not of gaming and/or entertainment)?

Legendary partners with Microsoft HoloLens to connect fans with their favorite characters
HoloLens meets Warcraft: Microsoft and Legendary turning movie characters into holograms

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
Nice videos.Altho i don't see Blizzard successful company in such long term since wow is dying and Overwatch can't hold forever.
By dying, do you mean "has been consistently the biggest MMO for over 10 years"?
People like you have been repeating like parrots that it's "dying" for so many years now. At its lowest, it had 5 million subscribers. Can you comprehend that number? With a new expansion launching I wouldn't be surprised at a ~10 Million Subscribers number, but we cannot really know.

Sure, it's peak came and went away, but the game is by no means dying, pls.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
oh im not mad here for devs. for marketing team - for sure. they told about "something great", wc3 reviving. and came with only that compat fixes, which broke almost as much as fixed.

[...] Classical games reborn? U wot m8?

You can't revive old game with remodelling, wider hardware support or throwning some loud names. You need something really big. Like unlimited possibilities within editor. Like proper platform for gaming. User-oriented shit. Not "we gonna update it just in case somebody would buy this ever again".

I can't wait for the next patch as well. [...]

Whatever could happen next, some people will still be dissatisfied with imho.

@paulH already expressed such an idea in another thread.

Oh, they fixed MAC issues? 3 players will be happy. I guess. [...]
pretty dark future with 10 players who can actually afford wasting time & money to questionable hardware
Out of curiosity, could the 3 Macintosh users you mentioned earlier, be part of these 10 players, or not? :grin:

Nowadays, technology has never been so amazing, powerful and *affordable*. Do you remember what kind of hardware was available 15 years ago, and at what price?

[...] A lot of people wanted more. If they had just done this patch and left it as it is now, then I'd be upset too.[...]

I definitely would like big stuff too. Sweeping changes. A complete platform, like NetEase. Loads of new features. But Blizz isn't trying to remarket these games. [...] They said they weren't concerned with *selling* the game. They wanted to get the existing issues out of the way first, so the tipping point of the revival may come later.

I 100% agree.

Let's stay aware of how gaming and entertainment evolves in the next few years.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Warcraft 3 will never die. With each passing year, a new mod for it appears and increases its popularity, either with a great number or a smaller one. The certain thing is that , still time we show our interest in it, will never fade. And now c'mon! If Warcraft 3 wouldn't have been still played, why in the world Blizzard released a new patch for the game? Oh yeah, I know! Because it is still played a lot!

Level 19
Warcraft 3 will never die. With each passing year, a new mod for it appears and increases its popularity, either with a great number or a smaller one. The certain thing is that , still time we show our interest in it, will never fade. And now c'mon! If Warcraft 3 wouldn't have been still played, why in the world Blizzard released a new patch for the game? Oh yeah, I know! Because it is still played a lot!
any proofs of it's online at least not reducing year per year?

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

any proofs of it's online at least not reducing year per year?
Warcraft 3 is still very played, on many platforms:
-Battlenet
-Garena
-Gameranger
-Gplay (only for DotA and your DotA Allstars, Dracolich)
-RGC (Ranked Game Client)
And many others. :)

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
That's no proof for @DracoL1ch's being wrong. Him saying that the online activity is decreasing,
is by no means false.

If Warcraft 3 wouldn't have been still played, why in the world Blizzard released a new patch for the game?
Some "patch" it has been, yeah. Fixing a few compatibility issues so more players can play it.
Without the modding community, WarCraft would've died long ago. The modding boards are
getting smaller, some are dying or close to death.
Therefore, the amounts of players are decreasing. The number of games too.

WarCraft 3 might perhaps never "really" die, because of its modding potential, but that's it.

Reactions: pyf

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

That's no proof for @DracoL1ch's being wrong. Him saying that the online activity is decreasing,
is by no means false.

Some "patch" it has been, yeah. Fixing a few compatibility issues so more players can play it.
Without the modding community, WarCraft would've died long ago. The modding boards are
getting smaller, some are dying or close to death.
Therefore, the amounts of players are decreasing. The number of games too.

WarCraft 3 might perhaps never "really" die, because of its modding potential, but that's it.
That's what I am trying to point out! Warcraft 3 is still very alive due to the mods.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

I am not so sure it will decrease. Nothing is certain. :)

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

It will, unless Blizzard gives us something solid to work with. Fixes and improvements to the editor to support the modding community.
Maybe they will do that, who may ever know? Instead of thinking negative, you should be optimistic. Maybe a miracle will occur and Warcraft 3 will regain its huge popularity. :)

Level 19
-Battlenet
-Garena
-Gameranger
-Gplay (only for DotA and your DotA Allstars, Dracolich)
-RGC (Ranked Game Client)
And many others. :)
aaaand all of them are around dota, which has successful Dota2 reborn client as well. everyday audience reduces due to lack of improvements (dead game for sure) and stuff (there's way too few projects alive and not to speak about their high learning curve). we're long time loosing our players, and mostly due to blizzard do nothing.
there's chance we can stay much longer with the latest abuse found, yet it doesn't mean we will actually increase popularity of wc3

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Instead of thinking negative, you should be optimistic.
This isn't about being pessimistic/optimistic, this is about being realistic.

Maybe a miracle will occur and Warcraft 3 will regain its huge popularity. :)
Hahaha, good one.
A game like WarCraft popular with today's generation of players. Good joke.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

This isn't about being pessimistic/optimistic, this is about being realistic.

Hahaha, good one.
A game like WarCraft popular with today's generation of players. Good joke.
I was not joking! Nevermind...

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Warcraft 3 will never die.[...] The certain thing is that , still time we show our interest in it, will never fade.

The Warcraft franchise *may* never die, as long as there is some kind of interest in it.
(read: as long as one can make good money with it).

No doubt WC3 will someday join WC: Orcs and Humans and WCII, in the pantheon of (dead) video games. They will all be fondly remembered by fewer and fewer people.

With each passing year, a new mod for it appears and increases its popularity [emphasis added], either with a great number or a smaller one.
Sources?

And now c'mon! If Warcraft 3 wouldn't have been still played, why in the world Blizzard released a new patch for the game? Oh yeah, I know! Because it is still played a lot!

Because this video game is still being sold. Therefore, it has to work as advertised on current OSes.
A player is a customer, first and foremost.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
And just how active is our modding community these days?
Tell me, how many awesome, how many "so good they are uncomparable!" mods have been
created here lately?

Keep in mind that old projects that are being updated don't count since we are talking about
"new" mods here.

You're fooling yourself if you think that our WarCraft community is still incredibly active.

Level 50
RTS is a dying genre that will probably disappear sooner than we know. The early generation Y were pretty much (and some still are) the only really dedicated player base of RTS genre and with these new tendencies in gaming new kids will hardly take up the baton from their predecessors. In other words, not even mods could fill that gap.

Also on side note, if we compare wc3 to another 2004 game, gta:sa, there is obvious difference in the modding community. Yes, I know an open world game beats rts 24/7, especially today, but GTA SA still today gets ridiculous amount of attention from modders and despite all the new titles that came after '04. It is all because of their highly established modding base that became a literal synonym for game modding. Unfortunately in wc3 modding there are less and less notable mods as years go by. Dota was that thing which rose wc3 modding in terms of popularity, but nowadays there is very little of its golden ash left.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Perhaps, you guys are right. Maybe I am blinded by a haunting illusion of my childhood. (Most of it was marked by the Warcraft universe).

Status
Not open for further replies.