• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Future of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
t will, unless Blizzard gives us something solid to work with.
You mean like a Warcraft IV? I hope the editor won't be harsh as the Galaxy (SCII). You know how many people, the new generation, don't want to play a game because of its visuals/graphics as a first condition.
The Warcraft franchise *may* never die, as long as there is some kind of interest in it.
It's like religion or gods. You believe in it it exists, otherwise it doesn't.
Blizzard is at the top?The top of what?Having most successful games?
At least, they're quite well marketed.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
The HIVE is actually one of them duh! Most of the great Warcraft mods are uploaded here. :)

fyi, only 1308 entities are currently browsing here:
- 115 Hive members
- 957 guests
- 236 robots

If anyone is saying that warcraft 3 is not dying that he is either a liar or a delusional person.
...or a True Believer.

What games from Blizzard that is not entertaining? Their idea usually revolutionary. I am very sure they have something up their sleeves to maintain at the top.
Yup. Warcraft 3 hardly. Need Warcraft 4. But conflicting with WoW. And many other things. Let's see their creativity to solve this problem.

* cough*

Blizzard cancels 'next gen' World of Warcraft successor after seven

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Really? I've seen people on the forums get nuts about Abathur being 5$ and not a problem. Of course, many others don't approve, like moi. But none of that seemed horribly terribly awfully frightfully nastily shockingly revoltingly direly wrong. Moreover, SC co-op does not really make it a game.
Just how is this related to any of what I said?
I was talking about the marketing of products for Coop, which is horrible.
If you had followed the entire thing with "new commander Alarak coming very soon" crap, you
would know what I'm talking about.

This is absolutely and entirely off topic, though.

OT:
If they'd follow WoW storyline, you can bury the entire universe anyway.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Yeah ;)
Those who are watching and judging. You could underestimate.
Those who are reviving it. You could get benefit. So. Never give up! Utilize creativity and strategy.
As long as modders like us exist, Warcraft III will always be alive! :)

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

That is true man. Warcraft 3 is powerful due to this. If the engine is upgraded (Warcraft 4). I am sure everyone will be back.
I can't wait till Warcraft IV appears to move War of Sanctity II on the new Warcraft platform. :)

pyf

pyf

Level 32
By dying, do you mean "has been consistently the biggest MMO for over 10 years"?
People like you have been repeating like parrots that it's "dying" for so many years now. At its lowest, it had 5 million subscribers. Can you comprehend that number? With a new expansion launching I wouldn't be surprised at a ~10 Million Subscribers number, but we cannot really know.

Sure, it's peak came and went away, but the game is by no means dying, pls.

Blizzard is at the top?The top of what?Having most successful games?

Facts and figures from November 2015:
Activision Stops Reporting WoW Subscriber Numbers at 5.5 Million

Also:
With New Warcraft Expansion, Blizzard Aims to Revive a Golden Goose
Ho crap, it is precisely released today!

[...] Tell me the difference between a true believer and a delusional person ;p
It is all a matter of points of view, possibly? :wink:

Joking aside, delusional seems pejorative to me here. I honestly see nothing but pure optimism and true faith here.

Level 8
Well wow is not rising in numbers of sub.I mean so far sure they can rise but it's new relise and people gather around.The smoke will break the they will all go away when they realize that this expansion only spams old content that people liked before.

Wow will die as soon it becomes too expensive to maintain.Now that maybe in 5 or less years but it's gonna happen.It's not like they can add something to this crappy "mmorpg" to make it fun and actually interesting and something new for a change that you haven't seen already before.

Last edited:
Reactions: pyf
Level 10
These delusions need to stop lol
You are weak, neven1. Weak and not creative. If you are good, you are capable to bring Warcraft 3 back. But, you can't. Cause you are a weak person. Sad. Pity.

I can't wait till Warcraft IV appears to move War of Sanctity II on the new Warcraft platform. :)
Love your spirit. Keep up and don't give up! :)

I see Warcraft 3 as a tool for creativity and learning. Don't think so much about Warcraft 3 or WoW. It is what can you get from them. I got my benefits from Warcraft 3. Others got from WoW. It is not beneficial to value other things than yourself first.

Level 10
Wow will die as soon it becomes too expensive to maintain.Now that maybe in 5 or less years but it's gonna happen.It's not like they can add something to this crappy "mmorpg" to make it fun and actually interesting and something new for a change that you haven't seen already before.

This is from someone who doesn't know economy. Go learn economy subject. Find topic demand and supply.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

I think it is better if both of you stop quarreling.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Okey. I just want to make him realize how weak he is. His judgement is also weak. But you are right. Neven1, don't be too emotional. You will learn more as time passes by.
His judgement is not weak. I guess, we are so optimistic because both you and I have a mod for this video game. Unlike him, we are very obsessed with the comments of the others and how they see Warcraft community's future. But if we did not create those 2 mods, RoR and WoS, we would have more than 100% acted the same as he did

Reactions: pyf
Level 10
His judgement is not weak. I guess, we are so optimistic because both you and I have a mod for this video game. Unlike him, we are very obsessed with the comments of the others and how they see Warcraft community's future. But if we did not create those 2 mods, RoR and WoS, we would have more than 100% acted the same as he did

I am being logical in this sense. Statement by him is obviously due to the lack of creativity and strategy. If I did not create RoR, I would not made statement like his. 0%, I will acted like him. He need to understand economy. Very important subject especially for decision making.

Last edited:

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

I am being logical in this sense. Statement by him is obviously due to the lack of creativity and strategy. If I did not create RoR, I would not made statement like his. 0% I will acted like him. He need to understand economy. Very important subject especially for decision making.
I said "I guess" so I did not give a precise argument. Whatever, all of us here from HIVE should stay united forever and always. Warcraft community is not going to die, neither now nor ever.

Level 10
I said "I guess" so I did give a precise argument. Whatever, all of us here from HIVE should stay unite forever and always. Warcraft community is not going to die, neither now nor ever.
Did I say your argument is not precise? That's weird. I am talking to you and neven1 is the subject (by part).
The following statement is true. Warcraft community need more support to stay alive. :)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I too am working on a mod, and in many ways it does not matter if anyone else is around to see it (though I certainly hope there is : P); I work on it for it's own sake, for my own pleasure.

These topics crop up occasionally and cover the same ugly, rutted ground with the same vicious, vulture-esque circling. It is natural to engage in the debate but inane to do so anywhere but Medivh's Tower, in my opinion.

That being said, the argument circles around some pretty imprecise terms: "dying", "living", "surviving", popularity", "successful". Easy to sink into the mire of ambiguity.

Level 10
I too am working on a mod, and in many ways it does not matter if anyone else is around to see it (though I certainly hope there is : P); I work on it for it's own sake, for my own pleasure.

These topics crop up occasionally and cover the same ugly, rutted ground with the same vicious, vulture-esque circling. It is natural to engage in the debate but inane to do so anywhere but Medivh's Tower, in my opinion.

That being said, the argument circles around some pretty imprecise terms: "dying", "living", "surviving", popularity", "successful". Easy to sink into the mire of ambiguity.
Well said thus ends the discussion if we think about it wisely.

Level 10
Now if you could enlighten me please...
You should pay me first. Nevertheless,

In very abstract statements, Blizzard of course (like any other companies), has its own information system (IS). IS include statistics (e.g. demand and supply of gaming market). This statistics are used by manager to make decision.

I give you the closest example, why blizzard keep on making WoW is the same as why Activision keep on making CoD. Why? all the aspects can be checked in the business model. Search business model.

Level 10
So? What you want to know?

Games are about money.
Company only feeds on money. Games therefore must produce money. But with bad manager, decision making turns bad.
Unless you know who controls the company and decision the board directors made, then you can estimate their provision. E.g. decision to ignore Warcraft 3 or otherwise based on research this and that (I don't know).
But you obviously could not know, so you find a method to predict what decision Blizzard's manager could have made. By my methodology, all your methods lead to result that contains ambiguity. Like Kyrbi0 said.

Give me your method and I will find its weakness.

Level 21
RTS is a dying genre that will probably disappear sooner than we know. The early generation Y were pretty much (and some still are) the only really dedicated player base of RTS genre and with these new tendencies in gaming new kids will hardly take up the baton from their predecessors. In other words, not even mods could fill that gap.

This pretty much.

"Dying" is probably, like most times, too vague. I'd rather argue, that the RTS genre will reach a point of equilibrium and stay there as a niche experience - actually that's pretty much status quo, also for turn based strategy.
A good example is Age of Empires 2 HD, which managed to bring back many players, with arguably small development effort (mods did mostly the same years before, apart from steam mechanics like quickjoining via friendlist ofc).
A bad one would be the latest relaunch of CnC List of canceled Command & Conquer games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which sadly didn't work out. Although it looked promising, judging from youtube material.

While i hope for a new Warcraft, i am also worried about the new Blizzard-Activision.
So maybe it's better nothing happens, just a few patches here and there and we are good until a new developer truly brings the genre back to its glory.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
You should pay me first. Nevertheless,

In very abstract statements, Blizzard of course (like any other companies), has its own information system (IS). IS include statistics (e.g. demand and supply of gaming market). This statistics are used by manager to make decision.

I give you the closest example, why blizzard keep on making WoW is the same as why Activision keep on making CoD. Why? all the aspects can be checked in the business model. Search business model.

I have the feeling you try to elude questions and remain very vague on purpose, only asking people to look themselves for whatever generalities, in the hopes they discover themselves something which satisfies them.

So? What you want to know?

I wish you to please enlighten me on your views, regarding Supply and demand applied to what was said earlier about WoW most possibly being officially dropped as soon as it becomes too expensive to maintain.

WoW's subscriber numbers peaked at 12 million in the last quarter of 2010. These figures dropped to as low (relatively speaking) as 5.5 million in September 2015. This is below the May 2006 numbers (and TBC was still unreleased back then!). Current number of subscribers is unknown. Please read:

Blizzard is reading us, so it is my belief they can hardly wait for your answer, which is worth paying good money for in your opinion.

Company only feeds on money. Games therefore must produce money. But with bad manager, decision making turns bad.
Unless you know who controls the company and decision the board directors made, then you can estimate their provision. E.g. decision to ignore Warcraft 3 or otherwise based on research this and that (I don't know).

What is Activision-Blizzard-King's business model(s), precisely? You give no information about it in your earlier post too, btw.
Which manager(s) are you talking about?
Which decisions are you talking about?

But you obviously could not know, so you find a method to predict what decision Blizzard's manager could have made. By my methodology, all your methods lead to result that contains ambiguity. Like Kyrbi0 said.

I understand @Kyrbi0 asked for people to be precise and sensible with what they say.

Give me your method and I will find its weakness.

I give facts and figures. I point to other people's work, as well as to official Activision / Blizzard / King sources of information.

Level 19
Blizzard is reading us
whaaaat? really? we had like 123523234 ideas here, since 2004 or so, yet none of them
a) has been implemented
b) has been commented / declined officially

Lack of public services tells me Blizzard doesn't give a fuck about Hive any more than any other promotion site. They had to force 1.27 update (since they did nothing good and most of players wouldn't even notice it), they came here "OH GUYS WE CAN SHOW YOU SOME STUFF (we actually did some shit) AND GONNA FEED YOU EVEN MORE PROMISES (false promises)". Nothing before that, nothing after. Goddamn, it's wonderful way to marketizing, but issue is - most people aren't blind.

They used Hive just for marketing purposes. They never did any goodies devs actually wanted. I can't even number how many possibilities been wasted for those years. And I can't see why you trying to defend them. Hope is one thing, pretending it's okay to shit on your fans - another.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

All those clauses yet none proved the quote wrong (y)

pyf

pyf

Level 32
whaaaat? really?

Quoting Ralle from OP:

"Blizzard is reading the Hive and other fan sites, and are interested in a continued feedback loop. [...]"

we had like 123523234 ideas here, since 2004 or so, yet none of them
a) has been implemented
b) has been commented / declined officially

Lack of public services tells me Blizzard doesn't give a fuck about Hive any more than any other promotion site. They had to force 1.27 update (since they did nothing good and most of players wouldn't even notice it), they came here "OH GUYS WE CAN SHOW YOU SOME STUFF (we actually did some shit) AND GONNA FEED YOU EVEN MORE PROMISES (false promises)". Nothing before that, nothing after. Goddamn, it's wonderful way to marketizing, but issue is - most people aren't blind.

They used Hive just for marketing purposes. They never did any goodies devs actually wanted. I can't even number how many possibilities been wasted for those years. And I can't see why you trying to defend them. Hope is one thing, pretending it's okay to shit on your fans - another.

Quoting OP again...

"One of our users, Kam, was extra optimistic and resolved to contact Blizzard directly to give input for the patch. He decided to start by contacting Mike Morhaime. The response was rapid and Mike forwarded the conversation to the new Classic Games department headed by Rob Bridenbecker and Pete Stilwell. It was clear from early conversations that there was a genuine investment in helping Warcraft 3 thrive. [...]"

"As for Blizzard's feedback on the list and what they will accomplish we can't say because of the scope and we signed non-disclosure agreements. They were definitely excited and extremely appreciative of the report and they'll do what they can at their own discretion. Some tasks have extended production schedules, some are rather vague, some might not be possible, and quite a few are already in production.[...]"

"There is an enormous amount of information we are not able to share with you. I know this is frustrating but we will attempt to communicate Blizzard's intentions in place of specifics. Please do not ask Kam and PurgeandFire for information - all we can currently share is here."

...but not only:

I'll ask if there is anything I can share. :) We've definitely had conversations with them multiple times since our visit--it was mostly for consulting, especially for things on our list. As such, we don't have a clear idea on what they have/haven't implemented, but we at least know what they're taking a look at.

And while I am at it with quotes:
It's be great if that argument wouldn't be started in this thread for the 40th time :p
Seriously, let it go.
People, please keep your petty frustrations to yourself. If you have something that matters to write regarding the patch(es) please do. Otherwise get busy. I don't want to unsubscribe because of you. Thank you.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Thing is, arguments like that tend to strike false to me merely because "Blizzard" isn't some giant, singular entity; it's a massive corporation filled with employees in all number of positions & duties. I have absolutely no clue about the numbers here, but I'm sure there's a huge contingent working on current big-name games, and another big chunk working on all the logistics for those games (Battle.net, compatibility, whatever)... But I'm sure there's a a handful of people even now working on the next big Blizzard title we haven't even heard about.

My point is, the release of HD Sc2 unit models doesn't necessarily imply that they aren't working on other things (including Wc3 patches or updates or recreations or whatever). They have all manner of separate divisions, working on separate things concurrently.

Granted I am still patiently waiting for the "real" Patch to come. #NewTavernHero

Level 10
I have the feeling you try to elude questions and remain very vague on purpose, only asking people to look themselves for whatever generalities, in the hopes they discover themselves something which satisfies them.
That is why I ask you what you want to know. Better if you tell me specifically. I gave you the basic answers only.

I wish you to please enlighten me on your views, regarding Supply and demand applied to what was said earlier about WoW most possibly being officially dropped as soon as it becomes too expensive to maintain.

WoW's subscriber numbers peaked at 12 million in the last quarter of 2010. These figures dropped to as low (relatively speaking) as 5.5 million in September 2015. This is below the May 2006 numbers (and TBC was still unreleased back then!). Current number of subscribers is unknown. Please read:

Blizzard is reading us, so it is my belief they can hardly wait for your answer, which is worth paying good money for in your opinion.

Very well. Demand in the entertainment industry is rather subjective due to the definition of leisure towards individual (can refer more to Entertainment industry Facts, information, pictures | Encyclopedia.com articles about Entertainment industry) and one can verify the nature of the leisure demand by asking himself/herself. It is a quite difficult context to formulate (while other demands could be easily identified, e.g. basic needs, luxury needs and etc.). You can produce the examples by looking things that you and the people around you bought.

My opinion is rather looking basic but back to basic is very very difficult. My method therefore, questioning the basic.
Referring to your article source, Activision Stops Reporting..., highlights that Blizzard is worrying of losing its demand. But entertainment (video game, song, movie and etc.) is leisure demand. You can try to pull back the interest from the people who bought your product (by feeding them more). Or maybe you can create a new interest for people to buy your product. E.g. Virtual Reality (VR) gaming as a new interest for gaming (simply google VR gaming and works ventured to understood its prospect). I am not saying Blizzard should shift to VR. But Blizzard should create a new interest for the people (and I would not expose my secret). I understood why they have created Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm, and why Hi-Rez created Smite and continue to Paladin, and Gearbox (creator of Borderlands) created Battleborn, and Epic Games created Paragon.

After all, This is where Blizzard choose his objective, pull back interest or create interest? although both create the supply for the demand. I can't give any opinion in any of decision making aspect (e.g. decision value, risk factor, implementation and planning, significance and etc.). However, at the basic level, if they create the right (emphasize right) supply (particularly to engage this type of demand), they will earn more profit.

I also doubt Blizzard will actually read this. I will believe when they have commented something and somewhere on the site (, please tell me where).

Level 19
"Blizzard is reading the Hive and other fan sites, and are interested in a continued feedback loop. [...]"
only EA can directly say "we dont give a fuck about our audience and their feedback", rest trying to play cool. again, there's no proof of their existing anywhere around, so it's like god - somebody believes in it, and normal people dont give a fuck and build their own future.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
@Heaven Editor: I don't know how much time you have spent with economical issues, but I
for one have spent many years with them, first at school, later for my job.

Your entire statement has little to do with the overall "supply and demand" matter and you
give the impression that you simply used these terms to make your argument "sound good".

I ask you to stop that at once, you're insulting everyone who actually KNOWS about such
matters - unlike you.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Tell me the difference between a true believer and a delusional person ;p
Well, the trick is to actually know what you're believing is real.
I was talking about the marketing of products for Coop, which is horrible.
Oh, sorries. Yeah, their policy is creepy.
Well considering how much WoW raped the warcraft lore title after title, I'd say Diablo TCG is more likely to happen than wc4.
Poor Warcraft story. Poor virtual characters. I mean it.
Diablo trading card game!? WHAAAAT!?
Some of us are watching and judging. Some of us are reviving it.
Truth be told. The observers are far more, sadly.
I believe Warcraft 3 will return.
Let's just hope it won't even disappear, at least not for the coming 10-20 years.
Those who are reviving it. You could get benefit. So. Never give up! Utilize creativity and strategy.
The Jains say that their "religion" will always exist in one way or another. It will never truly disappear. Warcraft III is also a huge idea (much like a religion/gaming philosophy).
Well wow is not rising in numbers of sub.
Who cares about WoW!? We're a Warcraft III community!
You are weak, neven1. Weak and not creative. If you are good, you are capable to bring Warcraft 3 back. But, you can't. Cause you are a weak person. Sad. Pity.
Hah. Not everybody believes in the Force. Anyways, the ancients say we are living the Kali Yuga so, it's a normal behaviour (low-none faith/belief) of the period.
It is not beneficial to value other things than yourself first.
That doesn't sound too altruistic but so is one of the ways to purify the spirit. Also, don't double post. Use the edit button.
Whatever, all of us here from HIVE should stay united forever and always.
You are still young. Life will prove otherwise in most cases.
People like/need to see what they want. It's one of the awful truths.
Blizz did make one big mistake, they thought SC2 modding would eventually become a thing. So they even revived wc3 models to sc2 so that they can attract wc3 modding community (like this one) to transit to new rts game.
The actual issue there is not the complexity of the Galaxy Editor but the lack of a proper custom game option for the game (like Warcraft III has; not to mention there's no custom campaign section and maps have to be played separately).
#NewTavernHero
^this.
somebody believes in it, and normal people dont give a fuck and build their own future.
You're implying religious persons are abnormal but atheists or agnostics are normal?

Level 10
@Heaven Editor: I don't know how much time you have spent with economical issues, but I
for one have spent many years with them, first at school, later for my job.

Your entire statement has little to do with the overall "supply and demand" matter and you
give the impression that you simply used these terms to make your argument "sound good".

I ask you to stop that at once, you're insulting everyone who actually KNOWS about such
matters - unlike you.

You know the reason I gave the comment demand and supply is because neven1 said WoW will extinguish due to lack of fun and interesting things. So easily said WoW will be hard to maintain and all. If he knows supply and demand, he will not made that statement. From the type of demand from entertainment industry, we could already know how hard it is to estimate what happen in 5 years or less. Impressive statement he made. What method he use? Assumptions? Just calculating maintaining, entertaining and creativity aspects only? GG.

Lel, my father is an expert in Economy. So, learned from him. You think my argument is little of subject cause you think short. Give yourself time. You can see the connections later. And I don't want to type an essay here. Damn it man! Let see your argument for supply and demand regarding entertainment industry prospective prediction.

That doesn't sound too altruistic but so is one of the ways to purify the spirit. Also, don't double post. Use the edit button.

Oh yes, edit button. Sorry.

I agree with your other statements. Those who strive will be among the Forces. :)

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Your father being "an expert in Economy" doesn't give you the knowledge to call yourself one.
That's like saying "I have seen someone creating a game, so now I am an expert in doing that
myself as well!".

Let see your argument for supply and demand regarding entertainment industry prospective prediction.
I see no reason to do so, I never agreed with neven1 about WoW.
The game is their cash cow and will most likely stay one for quite a while - until they replace it
with some WoW2 one day in the distant future.

The very only reason for me to even post again is the misplacement of an economical matter.
Supply and demand has only limited use in such a discussion.

Also, I love how much this went off topic. Let's talk about HotS now, since apparently no
one cares anyway.
Oh, that must be an excellent coincidence! Now I start talking about something that actually is
highly demanded these days, since most people of today's gaming generation love playing MOBAs!
What a coincidence!

Level 10
Your father being "an expert in Economy" doesn't give you the knowledge to call yourself one.
That's like saying "I have seen someone creating a game, so now I am an expert in doing that
myself as well!".

Huh? What is this? How would you know I could not learn from the expert who is in fact very close to me. Unless your father and you. Well, I don't know how you define father and son relationship. But what I learn from him is enough for me to argue neven1 statement. duh... Don't joke man.

I see no reason to do so, I never agreed with neven1 about WoW.
The game is their cash cow and will most likely stay one for quite a while - until they replace it
with some WoW2 one day in the distant future.

The very only reason for me to even post again is the misplacement of an economical matter.
Supply and demand has only limited use in such a discussion.

Cause you can't. Admit it.
Misplacement? You cannot see the connections? Now I doubt your knowledge and experience regarding economy. Need me to walk-through you? Haiz... Fine, I give it in my way of logical implication (lazy to entertain you)
Game is a product
Product give money when meet demand
Company need money to be alive
Company must give product
Therefore, product is supply

Company need to stay alive
neven1 : Product does not meet demand in <= 5 years (not my argument to say WoW cannot satisfy the people)
Company dead

Heaven Editor : Product does not meet demand is ambiguous
Company is in conditional state.

This is so simple. Don't say you cannot connect it. See the words demand and supply being used there. Think more pls. Do you like to rush your mind? Don't reply yet. Think first. Think.

Also, I love how much this went off topic. Let's talk about HotS now, since apparently no
one cares anyway.
Oh, that must be an excellent coincidence! Now I start talking about something that actually is
highly demanded these days, since most people of today's gaming generation love playing MOBAs!
What a coincidence!

Urgh. You just use demand (in economical subject) to indicate interest of discussion. I can't believe you cannot connect what I talked about. Irony and weird.
Yes, MOBA is favored today.

Status
Not open for further replies.