• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Future of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Now I doubt your knowledge and experience regarding economy.
Just why should I care about what you think?
Unlike you, I have a job in the economic area, you ignorant child.

I see no reason to continue a discussion with someone who obviously has no clue what he is
even talking about. I hate wasting my time like that.

Level 10
Just why should I care about what you think?
Unlike you, I have a job in the economic area, you ignorant child.

Ah. Unprofessional. No need to be emotional when others doubt who you are. Sorry to hurt you. I gonna leave and think why such things hurt you that you even need to insult me. I laugh

Having job but cannot counter any of my point correctly. I let you dodge though. Yet, I already know your position of your job with the points you made. Having job in subject sector making you a better person than the other. Good thinking.

Level 10
Ah. That is your argument, labeling people.
Labeling people is a part of being emotional. Love that attitude. But, are you a girl? Sorry to hurt your emotion if you are...

I am in a control state regardless how you pick my nerve. But, proud picking people's nerve on the internet? I laugh.
I can see your intelligent level with your comment. Comment more and you will expose more. Go ahead :)

Level 10
Only women or girls, as you've put it, are capable of emotion?
Men can control emotion better cause men do not suffer menstruation. I don't want to take advantage. You will understand.

A bit proud, are you not?
Subjective to a certain level and condition and etc. It is common to have good self control when commenting on the internet. Don't you know it. lel.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Men can control emotion better cause men do not suffer menstruation. I don't want to take advantage. You will understand.
Hah. That does not go with unanimity. I've seen women act more than decent in those periods. Plus, imagine how much pain a woman actually endures during birth. Also, let me tell you how sexist that sounded, what you wrote, I mean.
It is common to have good self control when commenting on the internet
Yeah... everybody is tough behind a keyboard and a screen.

Level 10
Hah. That does not go with unanimity. I've seen women act more than decent in those periods. Plus, imagine how much pain a woman actually endures during birth. Also, let me tell you how sexist that sounded, what you wrote, I mean.

Huh. Okey. You will understand. It takes time to understand.

Yeah... everybody is tough behind a keyboard and a screen.

What about your case?

Can we go back to the topic?

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Thing is, arguments like that tend to strike false to me merely because "Blizzard" isn't some giant, singular entity; it's a massive corporation filled with employees in all number of positions & duties. I have absolutely no clue about the numbers here, but I'm sure there's a huge contingent working on current big-name games, and another big chunk working on all the logistics for those games (Battle.net, compatibility, whatever)... [...]

Activision Blizzard has more than 9,000 employees.

More info here:
Activision | Blizzard: Our Company

It was said 100 developers (but rumors say more) were working on Titan, before the team was reduced to 30 one year before the game's cancellation. Those 70+ other people obviously were reassigned on other gaming projects (as well as the core team of 30 since 2014).
Blizzard reassigns staff, starts over on Titan

only EA can directly say "we dont give a fuck about our audience and their feedback", rest trying to play cool. again, there's no proof of their existing anywhere around, so it's like god - somebody believes in it, and normal people dont give a fuck and build their own future.

Quoting @PurgeandFire once more, this time with bold added:
"I'll ask if there is anything I can share. :) We've definitely had conversations with them multiple times since our visit--it was mostly for consulting, especially for things on our list. As such, we don't have a clear idea on what they have/haven't implemented, but we at least know what they're taking a look at."

If he says so, then I personally need no other proof.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
You mean like a Warcraft IV? I hope the editor won't be harsh as the Galaxy (SCII). You know how many people, the new generation, don't want to play a game because of its visuals/graphics as a first condition. (...)
Having given up on the editor so easily, some would argue on my moral ground to complain,
but for me the biggest bummer was the 256x256 map size limit, 8 tile texture cap, and
numerous other small stuff you can see me whining about around here for the past years
since 2010 (year Wings of Liberty came out), including nasty bugs sometimes popping out
unexpectedly, like directories disappearing and (XML-altered?) stuff refusing to show up in
the Data Editor, for instance.

I wouldn't mind ramming with the editor's complexity, provided: 1) it doesn't screw up on the
small things, and 2) it doesn't have obnoxious limits. Even more so when we spent an enormous
amount of time attempting to break them. I remember when WE Unlimited came out; the
aforementioned features, together with unlimited destructibles and doodads, it was all so
groundbreaking. Then Blizzard releases StarCraft II with no way to surpass them. If they had
payed any lingering attention to the modding community and enjoyed maps like DoBRP/CotMRP,
Azeroth Wars: Legacy Reborn or LotR: The Battle for Middle Earth, they might have realized their
huge mistake before people were put off irreversibly.

That is true man. Warcraft 3 is powerful due to this. If the engine is upgraded (Warcraft 4). I am sure everyone will be back.
I have serious doubt, for all @Murlocologist has already mentioned.
I, for one, know I won't. The fact games' graphics are advancing largely shuts down the Art
department on what modeling, texturing and animating are concerned for all but the most
committed of our artists. Development itself is hard when the editor is so complex. The
magnitude of effort required to pull out the wonders we've seen with Warcraft III just isn't
practicable anymore.

Blizz did make one big mistake, they thought SC2 modding would eventually become a thing. So they even revived wc3 models to sc2 so that they can attract wc3 modding community (like this one) to transit to new rts game. However from 2010 til now sc2 modding is something that never happened. And despite millions of requests regarding warcraft rts they did something nobody asked or cared for- hd version of units for sc2. That's how much blizz cares for new warcraft rts (wc4) nowadays.
I should mention: StarCraft II wasn't even in Beta phase when I repeatedly warned that the
plethora of highly diversified models in Warcraft III was one of the reasons for its success. I
had dreams for SC2 back in that day. I warned how the lack of such diversity in StarCraft II
would be a stone in the shoe, for most modders would be coming from Warcraft III, a medieval
game where people desired above all else to recreate their most beloved lores, such as LotR.

If Blizzard was reading the Hive, they didn't read me. The plan to pull out bringing in Wc3
models to SC2 was WAY late.

(...)
Also, I love how much this went off topic. Let's talk about HotS now, since apparently no
one cares anyway.
(...)
I have no idea what are you two debating about but for some strange reason I find it hilarious as much as I find it to be miles off-topic (and probably irrelevant).
A few years ago I'd have agreed with you, but if it is true that Warcraft III's activity is
fading ("dying", to go with the fad), the same rings true for the Hive. At this point, I think
we should be lenient and allow subjects to branch so long as we follow all other site rules.

Which reminds me. @Heaven Editor, respect be due, but I think attacking your adversary's
masculinity on the grounds men aren't emotional is old societal, chauvinist bigotry. The lot
of you were discussing economy. I hardly see the relation or need for a remark as nasty.

Last edited:
Level 19
Quoting @PurgeandFire once more, this time with bold added:
"I'll ask if there is anything I can share. :) We've definitely had conversations with them multiple times since our visit--it was mostly for consulting, especially for things on our list. As such, we don't have a clear idea on what they have/haven't implemented, but we at least know what they're taking a look at."

If he says so, then I personally need no other proof.
well ok, its bit better. yet doesnt explain my points at all.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Concerning this website, one which will hardly get many new users (especially ones outside of early generation Y rts enthusiasts)...when it is becoming obvious member base is declining,...
You'd have to ask Ralle, but it seems we've really had loads of new people coming in, in a relatively steady stream, for quite some time now.

Murlocologist said:
but most of the guys who were the cream of warcraft modding aren't active anymore. And if you look back to maps or models sections you can easily see how the high of wc3 modding is behind us.
Like, I agree, but how do you think they became 'cream of the crop'? They started from nothing.

There are prolific & talented individuals now that were the 'nothings' back in '04 to '08; -Grendel, Direfury, Mr. Goblin, Sin'Dorei, and probably many others (I can only name artists, lel). We have a new 'cream'. Is it more? Is it less? Quite subjective, honestly.

And looking (at least) at the model section, I don't know what you mean. Sure, we've lost our jigrael & Mc! & Chriz. & Ertwenpeller... But the modeling section is as brimming as ever; in some ways with more variety & utility then before!

This is, at least, my opinion.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I'm talking about models on hive which are the finest of the wc3 modding (like ones from Kwaliti or Tarrasque). I'm not saying modding these days is bad, it is good and relatively active. However in context of attracting people to return to the game, it is not yet there.
(Tarrasque = jigrael)

Alright, I misunderstood your quote out of the context of attracting people. That's a bit too subjective for me to argue about; again, all I could point to would be the rate of new users coming in (something I'm sure we could figure out rather than speculate on).

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

It's the climax when one post fills your whole monitor.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

^ It's good practice to back up your conclusions. Posting credible source is the best way, but that's not always doable.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Well I said "it's the climax when one post fills your whole monitor", then "it's good practice to back up your conclusions. Posting credible source is the best way, but that's not always doable." That much I can tell you.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Aww... sorry, my bad.

every time i see new post in this thread i think that theres a update to wc3 planned, but its guys dicussing biologic-psychologic aspects of genders, fml

Not only. :wink:

[...] A few years ago I'd have agreed with you, but if it is true that Warcraft III's activity is fading ("dying", to go with the fad), the same rings true for the Hive. At this point, I think we should be lenient and allow subjects to branch so long as we follow all other site rules. [...]

I personally understand this thread's title as "The Future of Blizzard", or at the very least "of the Warcraft franchise", but maybe that's just me. Just trying to understand what "the scope" mentioned in OP could mean, and how every bit of trusted information about Activision Blizzard already available, might connect into a greater whole regarding Blizzard's creations.

I already mentioned the HoloLens, and therefore 3D assets from the Blizzard movie. I would now connect them with this other paper from Fortune.com:
Activision Blizzard Goes Hollywood

Now, since I now know Activision Blizzard acquired King Digital Entertainment this year, I can not help but think about Age of Empires: World Domination for some reason...

But again, maybe that's just me...

Last edited:
Level 6
I don't understand Blizzard movements right now when it comes to w3 upgrades.

There was a so massive hype when the 1.27a gossip went out... Tons of players came back (including top tft scene), others were watching for changes, streams and replay websites increased in visits number and the list goes on.

What did they release? a compatibility patch. With a total mess on the visual c++ libraries + the cinematics (I had this very same issue yesterday after a fresh install).

Okay, everyone was "happy" because finally we had some changes and some attention from Blizz to make things good but... months have passed away and we have no news about nothing.

Bnet channels are still infected by sc bots spamming everywhere, the game is still invaded by maphackers and the ping is... well...

I've been all this time waiting for real improvements in the game so I can definitely come back and play in high level again but I'm about to give up at following the scene. The lack of information is just frustrating. Going to Battle.net to play vs a hacker (it's like 2 / 3 chance) is frustrating. Visiting this website and the official forums with no news is frustrating (and more when Blizz forums are almost always filled with spam too lol).

Blizz lost the -melee playing- hype. All the people who were as excited I, we are trully disappointed.

Will be around for a limited time,

cya

*Meanwhile in China, they have the best tool ever made for w3; Netease. No hackers, perfect ping, perfect matchmaking and new stuff. Sponsored by Blizzard.*

Level 21
It's saddening really...

I could be wrong, but maybe the european market has been milked as much as possible with respect to the old games - the playerbase is barely existing, just enough to warrant the server's running.
Starcraft 1, Warcraft 3 are still going strong in China. I bet they are able to sell the games there up to this day. At any rate, their audience is MUCH larger than here.

Warcraft (2016) - International Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo for example. Just wow.

Europeans and the rest of the world had enough of the hardcore-RTS genre by now?
While the chinese are still perfecting micro-macro-apm - or at least enjoy watching their kin do so.

Odd things...

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
What, because ONE person retired?
It's not one person, it's the person. I wasn't happy when Rob Pardo retired but at least he is mainly a game designer. Chris Metzen is so much more.
I agree - but I even would do so without
the retirement message.
WoW is explicable. It had to be shaped so it would have bosses, and an expanded world. Too bad they didn't just make another universe for that MMORPG sh-stuff. I was just hoping for Warcraft IV. Now, I care little if that's going to ever show itself on the market.
Seriously, lock this thread,
It seems, nobody wants to put the retirement announcement on the Hive's index. I mean, it's very important.

Level 27
That's it folks! We can forget about Blizzard.

Truest.
No no no, this is good, Metzen got very repetitive with his cliche cues and designs. Even if his influence on shaping Blizz was immense, I really hope they'll finally move on to something more fresh and not just regurgitate techy beardy dwarves, evil dark gods, character avenging fallen friend or love interest to discover they were turned evil, and all that other repetitive stuff.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
No no no, this is good, Metzen got very repetitive with his cliche cues and designs.
Says you. Yeah, it's true that StarCraft, Warcraft and Diablo have many similarities but if you look at it deeper, it's like an idea seen through three prisms.
Even if his influence on shaping Blizz was immense, I really hope they'll finally move on to something more fresh and not just regurgitate techy beardy dwarves, evil dark gods, character avenging fallen friend or love interest to discover they were turned evil, and all that other repetitive stuff.
The only way I'm seeing Blizzard now is if only Warcraft, StarCraft and Diablo are dead. If they decide to create something new unrelated to what Mr. Metzen was the source of, then I might consider buying future products. Otherwise, with his absence, the current franchises will probably become null. We shall see.

Last edited:
Level 19
-> Blizzard actually releases a somewhat decent WoW expasion after many failed ones
-> Blizzard releases a phenomenal TF2 killer with an insane amount of players for that genre
-> People say Blizzard is dead
-> Logic
old blizzard - stars like diablo, diablo 2, warcraft 3, wow
new blizzards - awful expansions for wow (yet most online players, yet twice as lower next to 2005's or so score), failure of diablo 3 (playable 2 years after release only, with 10 patches), hots (unsuccessful dota killer)
well, its pretty much dead. just like ea games - earns money, nothing more

Level 27
Says you. Yeah, it's true that StarCraft, Warcraft and Diablo have many similarities but if you look at it deeper, it's like an idea seen through three prisms.

The only way I'm seeing Blizzard now is if only Warcraft, StarCraft and Diablo are dead. If they decide to create something new unrelated to what Mr. Metzen was the source of, then I might consider buying future products. Otherwise, with his absence, the current franchises will probably become null. We shall see.
Eh, they already ruined the series in many ways, I don't see them possibly making Diablo, Starcraft or Warcraft any worse writing quality-wise.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
old blizzard - stars like diablo, diablo 2, warcraft 3, wow
new blizzards - awful expansions for wow (yet most online players, yet twice as lower next to 2005's or so score), failure of diablo 3 (playable 2 years after release only, with 10 patches), hots (unsuccessful dota killer)
well, its pretty much dead. just like ea games - earns money, nothing more
Overwatch is very successful, Hearthstone as well.
HotS is not as big as DotA 2 or LoL but it's by no means a shitty game. Same goes for Diablo, they fucked up the launch big time but the game itself is enjoyable.

As for WoW, Legion is very successful right now, not heard anything negative about it from anyone who returned to try it out.

So yeah, tooooootally dead.
not.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I don't see them possibly making Diablo, Starcraft or Warcraft any worse writing quality-wise.
I doubt that.
Eh, they already ruined the series in many ways
WoW suffered the most but of course because its gameplay: bosses, factions, worlds needed.
a) No, Blizzard is not dead and it is highly unlikely that the company will die anytime soon.
I "like" it how people get things out of context. Somebody says Warcraft may never be the same and they say Blizzard is dead.
But that's not to say he won't be replaced.
That's what I'm afraid of, the Fel Awakens.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] No, Blizzard is not dead and it is highly unlikely that the company will die anytime soon.
Blizzard Entertainment had a net income of 892 million US dollar in 2015.
463 million US dollar for the first two quarters of 2016.
And this is their net income, not their sales.
The value of Activision Blizzard's share is worth 4-times of what it was worth five years ago.
Not gonna die anytime soon.

For those interested:
Activision | Blizzard: Stock Information
Activision | Blizzard: Stock History
Activision | Blizzard: Quarterly Results

Level 12
Got some new source for speculation here:

On CppCon2016 a Developer currently working at Blizzard gave a talk about the benefits of C++11 in game development.
The slides can be seen here.

Details mentioned in the talk might suggest that Blizzard is giving wc3 a C++11 overhaul, at least to some degree. This would mean effort put into the game, which would probably mean "new things", broadly speaking (and the fall of old bugs/quirks along with a rise of new bugs/quirks, due to internal mechanical changes).

Things which suggest the talk might have wc3 as background:
-C++98 mentioned
-60 fps mentioned (Starcraft and Diablo 2 have lower frame rates)
-Visual Studio 8 mentioned (which was released 2005, where wc3 was still worked on)
-3 dimensional Vector mentioned (Starcraft and Diablo 2 were not 3D)
-Mentioned that PCs these days have multiple cores which should be used by parallelization of tasks (Sc2 is already using multiple cores to some degree)
-Even if this overhaul was done for Sc or D2, there's no reason it would not also be done for wc3

There is the possibility that I'm just plain wrong here and he's solely talking about WoW, which would mean it still uses archaic constructs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.