• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #27 - Mechanize/Curse of Flesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
View attachment 286404View attachment 286405

Still not quite sure with this one. But I am proud that I am able to at least create it a little bit more cleaner even if the wrap is a nightmare. XD

Are the likes of ragnaros considered inorganic? I might change plans and find a custom model to texture.
I really like this one though, Nightmare! Despite the fact that I just recently noticed that the giants arms are detached from the body, but heck, took me more than a decade to notice it, so it really doesn't matter.

But at the same time, if you're planning to "curse" Ragnaros or a similar Elemental Lord - or whatever they are called - into a fleshy being, I'd love to see that! D:

As for me, I'll probably post my final soon, getting bored with Ancients again.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
I'm actually planning to do 2 different themed textures on 2 different custom models. It will be organic to inorganic, not the other way around. The first one would be Molten Rock/Lava themed and the other one would be Mecha. And would probably choose from the 2 which I think is the best. XD

But I am still finding more options to decide XD

Level 7
Photoshopping my butt off like:

Attachments

• WIP.jpg
    WIP.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 140

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Very nice WIP @Arowanna! I like the concept a lot. Nice execution on the leafs. Liking the TC signs on the back.

I really enjoy watching your creative textures! I'm actually surprised there isn't more textures from you in our Skins resource section. I hope to see more from you :)

Photoshopping my butt off like:
That portrait is actually really cool. But the chainmail (?) needs some more work.

The concept is cool. Reminds me of big hero 6. Big guy in armor.

latest

Still not quite sure with this one. But I am proud that I am able to at least create it a little bit more cleaner even if the wrap is a nightmare. XD
Coming along nicely! Nice choice of model for that. The model fits perfectly for what you have in mind.

Last edited:
That's not what I'm making the face for. You saw the file-name, right?
.. wow.. Ouo

well whatever.. that's for mods to decide on.. let's see what folks can create instead

@Arowanna hm.. thought about some more roots instead of leaves? or some more stones? or.. well ancients have more details to them that aren't just bark or roots, or stone

edit: they got vines, carved stone, lanterns.. heck maybe even thorns

Level 25
/me goes back to OWL.

goodnuf.PNG

Edit
Getting late here, thought I'd be done by now, but OWL stops me from focusing. Still have to fix the hands, not sure what to do with them however. But part from that, the wood areas and leafs needs some polish, then it's off to Photoshop and fix the Alpha Layer and then it should be finished.

And I might, just maybe, remake the face. It's currently based on vertex points and it does look quite odd. But that's a big maybe, this guy is starting to bore me.

Last edited:
@Arowanna i definitely like the root-tail on the left more :), but you probably need some branches in that mass of leaves that are the ears and frill, or elbow fins
@~Nightmare Nice nice :) i still don't recognize the model, but i know its one of the naga girls we got in hive
@aeman well derp.. its Garithos, you really could have tried something else. but nonetheless, you're doing pretty nice

Moy

Moy

Level 49
@Arowanna i definitely like the root-tail on the left more :), but you probably need some branches in that mass of leaves that are the ears and frill, or elbow fins
@~Nightmare Nice nice :) i still don't recognize the model, but i know its one of the naga girls we got in hive
@aeman well derp.. its Garithos, you really could have tried something else. but nonetheless, you're doing pretty nice
It's Tarrasque's Naga Enchantress model

Level 18

well im trying to find another custom and vanilla model to work on

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
If possible, you should consider making the spikes like the head i.e. stoneish. For more contrast to intensify each element's properties and produce a more dynamic apperance. At the moment it's rather monocolored. Making the spikes stick out from the rest of the body would help in this regard.

Or perhaps more bone like. Like these tusks.

mossbark__ancient_of_war_by_rainerart-d5gq2sb.jpg

I tried to turn the goblin shredder into some kind of yeti but the animations still looked too mechanical. Does a heavily augmented cyborg yeti with rotating pelvis and exploding body still count as organic?
in my opinion, that'll be very good :)
edit: although it doesn't have to be a legit yeti, you're free to imagine your own titan creation, that got cursed to flesh :)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I tried to turn the goblin shredder into some kind of yeti but the animations still looked too mechanical. Does a heavily augmented cyborg yeti with rotating pelvis and exploding body still count as organic?
Of course. It's a Texturing Contest, so the various Model-related issues (i.e. animation) that actually cannot be changed by you legally (in this Contest) are nothing to worry about.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
You could have had chosen a custom model tho.

Looks awesome! Just remember to submit the final entry to the Skins resource section, and post the link in this thread.
Yes sir! Still doing minor edits.

Level 25
@Archian, I actually did try to convert the spines to stone-spines earlier. I didn't like it, but I restored the result:

upload_2017-12-13_15-35-9.png

I personally don't like it - trying some different approaches and designs - as the model geometry doesn't really support it. It's quite hard to give it a "natural" look due to the sharp geometry of the model. But if you people would prefer this, sure, I'll put some more time into it.

@Misha, regarding branches I've to say no. The texture is already cluttered and quite monotone. Introducing more clutter at this stage won't do any good. I guess it could work on the back fins - the fins/leafs on his neck/back - but I'm really getting bored with this texture. I might give it a try, but I won't promise anything.

Beyond that, the wood has slowly been polished. I'll finish the leafs, face, spines and tail the upcoming days or whenever I find the inspiration to finish this!

Last edited:
So I'm curious... I was reading about this contest because I want to get more involved in things and I thought it would be cool to make a night-elven nature train, but didn't find any good trains I wanted to reskin. So I thought maybe I'd reskin a nightelf building, but I have questions one because I don't know if a NE building is already considered organic or not and two, because the organic thing I made is half dead. Is this worth joining the contest or did I botch it lol.

Wendigo/Forest Demon

Attachments

• Forest Demon.jpg
    Forest Demon.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 191
So I'm curious... I was reading about this contest because I want to get more involved in things and I thought it would be cool to make a night-elven nature train, but didn't find any good trains I wanted to reskin. So I thought maybe I'd reskin a nightelf building, but I have questions one because I don't know if a NE building is already considered organic or not and two, because the organic thing I made is half dead. Is this worth joining the contest or did I botch it lol.

Wendigo/Forest Demon
ah, there is the 'ancient to wendigo' idea that i've talked about :) and yes, i personally find it good. even though ancients are technically organic, they aren't exactly living, as they're an amalgamation of wood and stone, grown by a night elf spirit. so yes, you are technically good to go :)

Level 25
The shredder idea felt too crazy and stupid for my liking so I just went for something more simple which is a Titanic Stone Watcher working under a Keeper which I haven't decided yet but will probably be either Ra or Tyr.

It's really hard to work on a wrap like this but I'm trying to make it feel unique and different from the original texture.

Attachments

• pala.png
    pala.png
    191.5 KB · Views: 142
Level 14
Just this one called "Tiki King", taken out of tons of projects/stuff to do. :/
Using Photoshop CS6. Here's mine: :)

Since Mountain Giants are elementals, not fully mechanicals. I started to make one for trolls, a wood-tiki giant one.
tikiking-jpg.287221

Attachments

• TikiKing.JPG
    TikiKing.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 645
Status
Not open for further replies.