1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Terraining Contest #19 - Aftermath

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Heinvers, Nov 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:

Could you give it a proper entry name? e.g. Glassing etc

@Ragnaros17 no problem. It happens :]

2. Bernkastel

Bernkastel

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Either you put your little grey cells to work, or it's called Bern's Bipedal Babies.

3. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    This looks classic, but well, waiting for the final version when you'd do the lighting and fog and fix the damn end of the world as being said by Bern (mostly the left part of the piece looks much end-of-the-world-y xD)!
    Dunno why, but the looks of this leads too much distraction to my eyes (maybe that's just me), perhaps because of much details (and perhaps being close to the camera)! You may wanna look at APproject's Terraining Contest #16 entry, there is too much details there but very well managed, all in one area, which look pretty good at the distance.

And about the fog, I'm not sure if clouds work properly for it (they're used most often for skies), the WE's fog might be cooler than what you have here right now, in my opinion, as it gives some depth to the terrain; but if you used to manage a good fog with those clouds, so be it. : )
    Just damn!! It is a huge lighting piece but cool at the moment, gives me a forgotten-sands feelings!

4. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Entry linked and marked as final with that title <3

I agree on one thing said; the distraction. You need the central point of focus to pop out more, to be more recognizable to the eye. That way the terrain's story should be clearer to the viewer.

No to the clouds mentioned Yaser. I think those are rather alright-ish; given that he aims at a post-apocalyptic city and all that stuff.
    The clouds can be used for so much more than just the sky you know. It's just that you haven't reached that stage yet and still have a long way to go until that point.

@NightStalker I think that you lack more depth, in therms of fog. Also what is that white glare in the middle of the shield meant to be? :]
    It seems pretty random with no discernible use whatsoever.

This tutorial will greatly help you if you look carefully.

5. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:

"when you'd do the lighting and fog"

I understand nothing about those and the clouds (just reading magic formulas with numbers wich doesn´t even give me what I want).

"and fix the damn end of the world"

is not that damn easy for me (I stated that I was very newby/amateur with this kind of stuff)

Attached Files:

6. Bernkastel

Bernkastel

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Heinvers <3

@Ragnaros17 Increase the map boundaries, makes it much easier to make it not seem like the world ends there!

7. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Understood! Yep, I personally have a long way yet.. but just brought up my opinion at this stage. xd
    Well yeah, as Bern said, you can increase them and enable the fog; this way the end of the map will be covered by the fog or whatever method you will be using to cover it.

Good luck guys, damn cool pieces so far! Hope we can all make it.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  8. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    thanks, that helped a lot.

thanks

edit

wip 4 or 5 or 6 lost count, still wip.

Attached Files:

9. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Lovely. As @Bernkastel said, you can increase to default max size and just use the central size for the scene itself. That way you can have endless horizon if doodads and glows are used correctly.

There is no need to put the images in [Hidden_] tags btw. Merely attaching them is enough since we can view them separately in a tab that way ^_^

Keep on working :]

10. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    You are right about the distraction. It tires even my eyes when looking at it. It doesn't just focus on one point which is the problem here. I must have those stinky clouds in the city. They represent the abandoned feeling.
    But I need tweaking with the fogging and the clouds to get a better view as well.

I agree on that focus point but what should I do? I mean, the foreground is way too detailed as well. What I observed from other terrains is, they usually leave the space empty just in front of the camera then detail the focal point. My main focus should be the huge towering futuristic castle in the leftmost area but it stays way too foggy when "in in game view settings". How can I make it pop out? and would you recommend opening some space in the very fore ground so the audience can get a fresh breathe?

That ring thing on the sky? It is depicting an eclipse. It blends in well with the sky being very cloudy and dusty by being very dim. The problem is, there are too many things in that particular area. The main focus tower, the stargate thing and this eclipse. I'm not sure how I'd manage that.

I followed that tutorial again since you put it here and I tweaked with the clouds and sky a bit, hopefully they are better now :/

@Bernkastel btw how do you do those light beams o_O

11. Bernkastel

Bernkastel

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @NightStalker Which beamos? I'm too dumb to figure it out myself

12. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Those sexy lights coming from the sun. Small dots and stuff hehe :p

13. Bernkastel

Bernkastel

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @NightStalker Just a bunch of different colored fogs, glows and an angled light from above. I tried to take a good picture of it but I didn't manage, it looks unclear.

14. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    It looks clear enough, great job! and thanks ^^

15. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Maybe this'll do some justice to the eyes of the viewers :p

WIP7.4

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Bernkastel

Bernkastel

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I prefer this approach actually. Perhaps you could try making the crack or whatever in the middle deeper, so that you couldn't see the ground. But that's just an idea, not necessarily the right approach.
    You could also try playing around with fog models. Fog models are the best, after stuff that you can build babies from.

17. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Thanks a lot! Hey that's a good idea, there's no need to be afraid of making things bigger. I might try to add a lot more interesting stuff too.

18. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:

I like it in red/orange and I llike that bridge , maybe reduce ship size?? since now the camare is more near.

wip 7.0085A

upload_2018-12-16_19-55-54.png

I am reaching the point of saturation, I mean hard to add more major things (there is room for minors, like the skulls or barrels). (I put some clouds, the fog is just an imitation of what I found in the tutorial that linked @Heinvers. I put some ligthinings to enhance the NE buildings.

so guys do you think is filled enough?? more barrells above the Juggernaught deck??

I think there are two major ways of play this
    1) like @NightStalker, make the thing complete and then choose the camara ( wich is great).
    2) The cheap way (mine): choose the camara and terrain with that camara, but can´t change the camara because it will be incomplete (the juggernaugth is just without walls on the other side).

I will upload my final entry the 21 for shure.

19. Bernkastel

Bernkastel

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Ragnaros17 The right side horizon is definitely starting to look better! I like the hut in the distance. Maybe you could consider adding some even more distant mountains or hills to make it seem like it keeps on going forever!

And you should always make sure that your terrain looks great from all camera angles! Trust me on this!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I know right I like the new colors as well! About the ship, I might just delete it you know? It drags a lot of attention and divides it to half although I want it to be at the left side. It was good for lore purposes but it won't make much difference when deleted too. I'll need to remove some of the crowded areas.

Actually the map isn't totally complete there are some big flaws when looked at a different angle. But as a challenge I wanted to complete the city almost fully.

What I'd sugegst to yours would be still the same issue and that is called "the end of the world" feeling. The further hills get cut suddenly.

Ahahaha! I have a bit of this too :p It's cool that you shared this tho ^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.