1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Terraining Contest #19 - Aftermath

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Heinvers, Nov 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Just checked what Mortal Engines was and I to be honest I can really use some inspiration from those machines! Thanks for the words.

Hey Heinvy, it's supposed to be a shield thing as for my imagination, but it can be taken to anywhere you want! I'll add a short lore when I finish up the post, I need to put a lot more buildings to complete the city, and I'll have to put in many theoretical stuff in the city, then destroy some of them :p That's where the destruction will show its face! Thanks for the feedback, I'll probably post one or two more WIPs to get even further feedback in short notice :pp

2. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    I like the sky
    I like the composition

About the theme the Aftermath.
    The crusier is intact, the city seems intact (dusty but intact),the nuclear radar station seems intact, the bunker I saw operating workshop looking far worst than that bunker,, so I think you should think to put something that fits the theme, that there was a battle of a violent episode
    to me it looks peacefull.
    If you look the others entries in overall people is doing buildings destroyed or corpses.

maybe you can put 1 or 2 ships and bury with rocks or that stuff.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/50/be/03/50be03d91097f957aaf51042c8f701c6.jpg

I tell you this because, well I like to be honest I think...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  3. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the detailed feedback! I loved that concept art you attached, but the story of my concept won't be a total destruction such as a war. I'm thinking of something else. I'll need some wreckage too that's what I've been searching for, for about an hour. The area will be filled soon enough tho. I'm not totally certain of where I'm headed to tho :p

4. Bernkastel

Bernkastel

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I added a Chrysalis because I wanted to use red stuff. But I'm unsure if I want it there, and the round things are not very round. So we'll see if I want to have it around after all.

EDIT: @Ragnaros17 Thank you for the nice words. I mainly took inspiration from Nier: Automata even though my doodad spam makes no justice whatsoever. But I can see how it makes you think they way you do.

And since you asked for feedback yourself, the first thing you could work on is perhaps making the horizons not seem like the end of the world, either making it seem like there are some mountains/rocks in the distance or anything, even simply making the ground go further could help with the aid of some fog.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Bern, I love it! ^_^

6. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    me too.

edit:

thanks

yes I will try to do something with fog and clouds, and work more the horizon.

7. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Here's a new update! I've finally found the destination I want to go.

wip5

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:

I can feel that you put the camara more near to have more city detail (a very clever decision)
    I do really like the ship with angle like a crash (thats the cherry of the cake!)
    Now the dust looks like some poison fumes (I like it even more). With the the fumes and the +++ detail it seems more like an abandoned / ruined city

WIP 4

Attached Files:

9. Marjosh38

Marjosh38

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ok, I pass for this contest, too busy to my ACADEMIC WORKS... :( :( :(

10. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    A new update!! Probably will be finished on Monday or Tuesday, I hope :p

WIP 6

[​IMG]

Thanks alot!! Yeah the camera should be able to get a wide shot of the city, I might even increase the FOV of the camera. Actually your suggestion made me add it tbh :p I really liked that Star Wars concept art.
    The dust is meant to come both from the ruined city buildings and the alien planet's wind. It is not the Earth I'm depicting, it's a new planet! You might think of Mars, since the colors can be thought of similar color ranges, actually not haha, but I thought about a planet like Mars, with dust storms and stuff. I will add the lore in the final post!

Looking good! The only suggestion I could say would be the hill's angle kinda looks a bit steep. You might try smoothing a lil bit imo. The fog actually looks good btw!

11. Bernkastel

Bernkastel

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ohh! It's a full city now! Can't wait to see the final version.

12. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Almost done, I'll need a few hours to add many tiny details, as if it's a playable map haha :D Hoping that the final version would be interesting enough!

13. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    every wip imroves a lot!! much more detail!

I miss the bunker, nah just kiiding, I really like the camara and the city that has some kind of U shape.

If you reduce the size of the teal nuclear radar station allias starcraft psi distuptor from the right you can add more stuff.

14. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:

Yeah!! I'm getting lots of ideas and starting to work more freely, instead of keeping myself in my comfort zone :p

I don't miss that bunker too, it was supposed to have a dramatic effect but I'd rather go with a more subtle approach in story telling.

I probably wouldn't decrease its size, i want it to look huge, I might add more props on it so it looks more detailed tho. Right now it drags some attention since it sits obviously on the right side of the image.

15. Kristopher

Kristopher

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Here,

Attached Files:

16. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    These look so fine guys. Keep up the good terrains coming around :]

17. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Couldn't keep myself away from it, so here's one more. I'll need feedback for the lighting and fogging especially. All feedback are welcome!

WIP7

[​IMG]

18. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    looks great

WOW!! so is finished looks great
    maybe , a very subjetive opinion, try to have the sky different to have contrast with the city fumes., because the fumes are green and the sky seems a bit green.
    but is very subjetive.

thanks for cheering up!!

Sadly I didn´t make progress with my terraining (hope to do it soon). I am also in the 4v4 melee contest (hard to be in the 2 at the same time), my map was played yesterday and I am doing fixing so maybe it can be tested again.

Voting will be hard, all your works are great , like of others games, (mine is just to much wc3 blizzlike but it is fun doing it).

19. Bernkastel

Bernkastel

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Alright! I might have gone a bit crazy with the lights, but I don't care because I like it and that's the point. Not to mention that I have never played around with fogs like this. All for the sake of my bipedal babies.

Special thanks to @Heinvers for forcing me to participate.

Final Entry: Bern's Bipedal Babies

It's finished! I'm not doing anything! You can't tell me what to do! Lalalalaalala!

My only regret is not doing anything about the railgun, but I kept forgetting.

Attached Files:

20. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:

the first strike didnt destroy completely the factory target so we decided to launch a nuke to the hole area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.