• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #12: Poll

Who is your Winner of Terraining Contest #12

• Oziris

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • johannesr

Votes: 35 28.5%
  • Stranger

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • elredir

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • M0rbid

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Keiji

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • The_Olorin

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • -Kobas-

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • xDeathKnightx

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • XPQJ

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Error_trigger

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Chaos.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Marsal2000

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Sir_Elendor

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • De.Facto

Votes: 14 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
the%20hive%20workshop.png

terraining.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
2.png
poll.png

silent+hill+butcher+shop.jpg

Horror/Nightmare
Create a terrain that gives the chilling horror feel of a nightmare or is just pure horror in itself.

Welcome to the poll for THW Terraining Contest 12 - Horror/Nightmare! Please read through the rules before voting!

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

ENTRY RULES:
  • No submission may violate any of the http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/faq/
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any terrain does not fit, a moderator or the host will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission in form of a screenshot must be posted before the deadline.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours. Also you are adviced to keep the original map until the contest is over.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Map may consist of any resource as long a it is public and not ripped or stolen
  • Unless a used resource belongs to either hiveworkshop or Wc3 Campaigns, a link to the used resources must be provided.
  • No image editing tools may be used to enhance the terrain previews (however cropping is allowed).

VOTING RULES:
1. Each user can only vote once in the poll.
2. You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
3. You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
4. You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and lose reputation points.

prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

entries.png

judges.png
  • Azurot
  • fladdermasken

contest%20judging.png

Judging will be as follows:

Creativity
The creativity displayed in your terrain./15

Detail
The detail of the terrain. Impurities in the detail are rough edges, floating trees etc./15

Technique
How advanced are the techniques and tricks you have used, and how well have you executed them?/15

Theme
How well is the theme used in your terrain?/15
  • 70% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you over PMs.

Happy Voting!

Last edited:
Level 36
Even though johannesr's terrain has some very stretched and ugly looking textures in the ceiling and the walls,
I find it the most appealing of the ones apparent, especially in terms of reinvisioning the theme at hand.

Last edited:
Level 16
Yeah, congratulations guys, I enjoyed looking at most of the pieces here. But I felt like I'm looking at two distinctively different themes here - the creepiness of a horror scene, and the disbelieving landscape of a nightmare world.

Host, how did these two themes get mixed together? ;D Its pretty hard to vote if I don't know what is the basis I'm voting on.

Level 18
I voted for elredir. It really gave me the feeling of the creepy ambush-places in Doom 3 :D
If I was able to choose a second place, it would be Marsal2000 for it's nice and creepy lighting ^^
johannesr did not get my vote (I'm explaining because so many did) because the center character was too bright. It took me out of the moment of the dark creepy room. If she had a creepy light shining on her (because of some demonic light-source or an old lamp), it just needed the right shade and it would be good. Also, I would've put something on the floor, because now it kind of looks like the blind janitor passed recently and pushed everything he could touch to the side so nobody would trip over it. Other then that, I still think it was a nice entry :) Just not nice enough to be my #1

All other contestants also did a great job with their work. I only spotted 2 that were a bit empty/undetailed, which was a bit of a disappointment.

Level 10
i would have voted for johannesr along with the crowd but the ceiling scares me in the wrong way ;p

still beats the shit outta my entry tho xD

I love all the different views that are produced from contests, like everyone is doing the same theme, but almost everyone takes a different approach to convey it, not just in different doodads but in complete different styles of terraining.

Level 3
I voted for xDeathKnightx... I wonder why everyone is voting for johannesr? O.O... It's great, but I felt it lacked in the theme's point... If it were a video, or a map and not just a screenshot, it'd be awesome. But, the eeriness/creepiness/scariness just weren't what some of the others had promised. :| And the blood & gore in Error_trigger's entry turned me away from it... It needed a little more liquid form, because Blizzard's default blood spatters just look too... ketchup-y?
Well, I guess that's why everyone's entitled to their own opinion...

Level 3
its because everyone's point of view is different... as for me, it gave me the best creepy feeling...

That's what I said. I was simply stating my opinion. For some, that was indeed the best. I simply felt that was an image, that should have been a video. There were aspects in all I found served as exceptional terrain, or obstacles with no purpose.
For instance, the blood I mentioned for Error_trigger's. That, coupled with the models used, made me feel that it was more a really twisted food fight, than a courtyard that was overrun by undead. And then again, there was the lighting in Marsal2000's, which really brought his to life. That was my second choice.

Level 17
Even though johannesr's terrain has some very stretched and ugly looking textures in the ceiling and the walls,
I find it the most appealing of the ones apparent, especially in terms of reinvisioning the theme at hand.

I can barely even see the ceiling myself, guess it's a monitor brightness thing :/

PS: Why is the Terrain contest 12 notice lowercase in the notices and not like the others?

Level 14
Chaos., hands down. Honestly, I was expecting more from this contest and only Chaos.'s entry lived up to my expectations.

johannesr's entry is good, possibly even second best, but while his entry focus on one room, Chaos. has an entire realm. An oblivion of sorts. Both fit the theme quite well, but in my opinion C's entry shows superior terraining skills.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I was expecting more from this contest.
Really? Personally I can't think of a worse theme for a terraining contest. Cards on the table, I didn't like the contest prior to this one either. And gun to the head, I haven't enjoyed a single contest theme so far, but whatever that's irrelevant.

Point being that I really hope we land on a much more open minded theme next time around.

Level 11
johannesr's entry is good, possibly even second best, but while his entry focus on one room, Chaos. has an entire realm.

isn't it harder to terrain a small space,because of the limitations of the WE,besides that,imo,closed spaces(like rooms)are a little more fitting for a horror theme because they give you that feeling of"no where to run"

both terrains are great,but both,at least to me,seem unfinished
i for one like Keiji's entry the most

Level 14
closed spaces(like rooms)are a little more fitting for a horror theme because they give you that feeling of"no where to run"

Well, I suppose it's how you look at it. While a room has far less space, there's always the idea that if you escape it (or the building, or possibly even the town) you'll run away from the horror of it. If you find yourself in a nightmare otherworld like Chaos.'s than there isn't really anywhere you can run to get out, it's just delaying the inevitable.

But, I suppose it is a matter of opinion more than anything else :)

Level 11
well that's the point,hope of survival,if you believe that there is even a very slim chance that you can escape,every moment that endangers your life is horrifying.

while if you know that there is absolutely no chance,you abandon all hope,and thus no longer fear what might happen to you.

But, I suppose it is a matter of opinion more than anything else :)
totally agree

Status
Not open for further replies.