• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #17: Poll

Which entry takes the cake?

• [URL=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2729609-post259.html]Edge45[/URL]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [URL=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2728667-post247.html]Majkowski[/URL]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

terraining.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
7.png

poll.png

Afterlife Realms

133407-albums3940-picture100498.jpg

Participants are to portray their interpretation of an Afterlife realm, i.e. the life after death

Welcome to the poll for Terraining Contest #17! Please read through the rules before voting!

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on an award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

entries.png

judges.png
  • fladdermasken
  • Heinvers
contest%20judging.png

Creativity
Includes how the theme was interpreted and portrayed. Note that there's a fine line between creative and completely offbeat./15

Detail
Measurement of detail in design and overall detail balance. Impurities include rough edges, deficiency in execution, and general disorder./15

Tecnique
Executional quality, techniques, tricks and overall terraining capacity./15

Aesthetics
Overall appearance of the final entry as a whole, e.g. an entry can lack both detail and technique but still have an overall nice composition./15
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs. <3​

I like Published's general setup, but I'm not too sure about those boulders forming the skull.

Conflicted between Keiji's and Bern's, cuz I just love the atmosphere and those sweet, sweet streaks of fire in the center. (still hate those cubes tho)
Keiji's idea of a more futuristic afterlife is definitely the most original though. Love the fog work.

Level 36
Although I do think AP's is a tad better in execution and finish than Bern's, I still voted for
Bern. I just think it follows the theme more, not that that's ever been one of my most
major criteria, I just... Yeah.

Also, I want to say, I like the cubes.

Anyway, good luck all.

Level 19
I'm voting for APproject.

It has been a while since I was around for this kind of things but I just happened to bounce on it.

Why APproject's one?
It has a very unique concept about going to the afterlife.
All of the other terrains seem to be based on "heaven and hell" only while this one and the one from Keiji is not (I would give him my second vote).

Level 11
If I had entered this contest I would have pasted a blank background because that is what I believe afterlife is: a void, non-existence, nada. Funny though that not even one entry depicted Heaven. Is it difficult to render as a terrain or this generation shows an uncanny love for all things dark and hellish?

I appreciated the amount of work APproject has put into his terrain and all the fine effects but I personally feel that afterlife could have been portrayed better with lesser human-drama. The concept is what deterred me from voting for what otherwise is a superb terrain.

I will also mention AradMNK's attempt. Friendly words of advise: It is not necessary to use every doodad you come across in a terrain. It only creates a hodge podge image. Skulls, candles, eagle statues, fire breathing lion heads and my - even a golden cross. What really is going on in there? Also, your entry looks like a generic wc3 screenshot taken in game camera settings. Play with the camera angles, at times perspective is all that is required to make or break a terrain

I voted for Keiji because even afterlife is sexy in Norway :grin:. Kidding, I love the concept. Our forefathers imagined hell and heaven as two contrasting realms. One a burning fiery and red the other adorned with clouds and glowing with light. I see no reason for sticking to that age old model of afterlife (unless the setting calls for it) because our afterlife should reflect our mortal lives. For people of a technological era, the afterlife should be a mix of 'heavenly and space age technology'. Something that I think Keiji aptly depicted in his terrain.

Level 21
I feel that the one who conveys most the feeling of afterlife is APproject so my vote goes for him. It's also because he did an amazing job with the terrain, fog and such. I didn't really mind that part of the human drama because the main thing is the terrain itself.
I really liked Keiji's terrain too but for me it doesn't give me the right feeling of afterlife. Something "futuristic" and "less-heaven-VS-hell" is not what makes me think of afterlife, rather than what the future will be like in reality or some sort of twisted dimension.

I reckon that it's time to repeat myself(yet again).
You people really need to think outside the box(as in more possibilities and less constrains).

Just because it's no your daily Swiss cheese containing some fiery cliche hell sauce, some cloudy heaven realm or River Styx that doesn't make it less of an Afterlife.
Picturing an afterlife can be so much more than what most people convey in their imagination(let that loose).

~Just dropping my 2 cents on it~

Level 11
To be honest I wanted to do the Singularity as my interpretation of Afterlife but I couldn't think of a feasible way to portray that using the tools at hand. Not to mention the fact that I doubted most people would have even heard of that.

That's really the only reason I did the Hell cliche simply because there's at least some historical background, at least that I tried to portray, in my terrain.

Level 21
I reckon that it's time to repeat myself(yet again).
You people really need to think outside the box(as in more possibilities and less constrains).

Just because it's no your daily Swiss cheese containing some fiery cliche hell sauce, some cloudy heaven realm or River Styx that doesn't make it less of an Afterlife.
Picturing an afterlife can be so much more than what most people convey in their imagination(let that loose).

~Just dropping my 2 cents on it~

Disagreed. Everyone is free to interpret afterlife as he/she desires. I think it as the heaven-hell "cliche", others may not. Neither are wrong though.

What I said is that you should widen your perspective of this given realm not just think of it in classic terms.
I said to try and think outside the box as well not that you should definitely abide to my personal view of it.

Also, disagreeing with someone just for the heck of it usually makes you seem rather blunt.
Be sure to analyze the post before replying.

Level 21
What I said is that you should widen your perspective of this given realm not just think of it in classic terms.
I said to try and think outside the box as well not that you should definitely abide to my personal view of it.

Also, disagreeing with someone just for the heck of it usually makes you seem rather blunt.
Be sure to analyze the post before replying.

I simply expressed my views on what you said, nothing more, don't take it wrongly. I didn't write that just for the heck of disagreeing. Anyway, no need to get lost into these talks. This is a poll, not a debate.

My top three are Keiji, APproject and Bernkastel. I voted on Keiji.

Some of these were not that great however.

APproject, I liked one of the WIP's much better than the final result, something about those clouds and floating humans is not right.

Keiji, you combined futuristic modern theme with religion and after life. Everything was placed in order, models were fitting and background environment is inspiring. Well done.

Bernkastel, it felt rushed (just like you said). There was more that there could be done, but overall it had one of the best graphical representations.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
AProject's piece was the one that had the most stuff going on though the light in many places is pretty much overwhelming the image parts.
Most of the others were only made in one colour mood but are not to be disliked.

Level 32
My vote is split between Keiji and AProject. Visually, I think they're equally impressive and eye soothing.

Both are unique in a way, but Keiji's is much more unorthodox. They both have a "curiosity aura" going about. I'm the anti cliche and although AProject's ain't no ordinary heaven or hell like the other submissions, I gotta give it to Keiji simply because of it being the least cliche of them all.

Could also be used for as a symbolic image on a human's will to progress, not just some everlasting divine unchangeable place.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
Voting for APproject.

Gonna share my opinion:
I was a little disappointed to see most of the submissions being restricted to the Hell theme (and a bit of heaven). Some of the submissions are really well made visually but, me personally, I was looking for something less traditional.
Now, Keiji's and APproject's submissions both struck that cord of something unique, creative and imaginative. However, Keiji's work, while being really pleasant and well executed, yells futuristic terrain and not afterlife to me. APproject's submission does even more than it should! Not only it portrays a scenery of the Afterlife, but it also does something which in my opinion is a sign of top-quality terraining: Storytelling via Terrain work. It's not just a view of a random scenery, it has things going on in it that are related to the theme! We see the departure of two loved ones from real life to afterlife and the separation of the two worlds (physical/spiritual).

To me, that is the best and most unique representation of the contest's theme! And a true masterpiece!

Before I go I'd like to state that all the submissions are really well made and are very detailed. You guys have done some kick-ass sceneries! Well done!

Level 5
AP definitely, portrays the meaning of Afterlife in a beautiful way(un-hellish). Beautiful and deep. Good Job to tall the entries nonetheless:thumbs_up:

Status
Not open for further replies.