1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Units have been turned into heroes in our latest Icon Contest! Vote for the best icon set at the Icon Contest #18 Poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Terraining Challenge 2007/2008

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Rui, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Eleandor

Eleandor

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    eh...

I just made a new map and imported the stuff... took me 1 minute
    I don't know how to change the mapsize, so I actually had to :)

2. Jaakko

Jaakko

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's very easy and fast. Look at the top panel in WE and select Scenario and then Map Size and Camera Bounds.

3. Gausslander

Gausslander

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    WOW! That's a little too much work for me... maybe if you had a best voice acting contest? JK don't want to sound like a jack ass here. Anyways, good luck gents, have fun working your asses off.

4. Dalaran_Guard

Dalaran_Guard

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Rui: As pertaining to importing skins or not:

My vote is no.

The rules have been set forth already, and we as terrainers have plenty of resources from which to create our tilesets. Adding this additional element of skins to the competition would create bias in favor one terrainer or another, and so we should be limited to those resources already provided for us.

5. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I have just decided. I will allow you to use Skins as long as you attach them to your post BEFORE each tileset. The skins will then be attached to the first post for everyone to use.

6. Dalaran_Guard

Dalaran_Guard

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Very well. Good compromise.

That means, whoever asked previously, that you will not be able to use any custom skins in this competition...

7. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Not on Ashenvale. But perhaps on further tilesets.

8. Eleandor

Eleandor

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Okay, this map is far from finished (EDIT: for example the tile variation on certain screens I did not plan to submit :p) but I really don't feel like continuing...

Sorry for the overload on screenshots, but I felt like posting 'em :)
    If I have to go for "1" final screen, I'd take Screenshot 6.

Map uploaded

The map idea: After the destruction of the High Elves, a group of Blood elves rebelling against Kael have settled themselves in the large forest of Ashenvale. The village can be entered by entering the portal (screen 1), although it's magically protected against non-elfs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  9. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Very good work, amazing! However, they have a weird ground tile variation. The one on the lower right has only Lumpy Grass.

EDIT: Good choice, screenshot 6 is just excellent. And yes submit the map if possible.

10. Valcrist

Valcrist

Resources:
    Resources:
    how do i import images from my computer onto the forum so i can show my screenshots?

11. Eleandor

Eleandor

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    reply (in advanced mode), and click on the "manage attachments" button at the additional options, then upload your screens and your map.

12. Chaos

Chaos

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Just looking back in the older days of the several wc3 sites, but this contest is far away the greatest one at all, refering to terraining ones.

Just want to came out with that, and a special thanks to Rui for it.

Chaos

13. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks. I wish to organize it better, but it's just that I have been so tired lately. If I go to bed before midnight, I take ages to get to sleep, and I have to wake up at 7 o'clock. I never get a good resting time. I'm needing holidays :p

14. Jaakko

Jaakko

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm happy I joined the right one then. :)

15. Killer_Mushroom

Killer_Mushroom

Resources:
    Resources:
    Here is an early WIP of the village. The actual dwellings are going to be inside the World Trees, plus a few ground based-structures will be added. I am going to elaborate more on the forest once the architectural part is complete.

Attached Files:

16. Dalaran_Guard

Dalaran_Guard

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Whoah! Dark! You may want to post a screenie that is easier to see, as I still cannot distinguish half of what is there. Sounds like an interesting prospect, though, this terrain of yours. Good luck...

17. Killer_Mushroom

Killer_Mushroom

Resources:
    Resources:
    Turn your brightness to 100% on your monitor - it will be perfectly visible.

18. Dalaran_Guard

Dalaran_Guard

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ummm... ya, its not perfectly visible, but it is a bit easier to see. You may still want to post a brighter pic, but I suppose it is up to you...

19. SuPa-

SuPa-

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Not in the competition, but thought I'd post some opinions
    @Dalaran... I can easily see it

Mushroom, looks nice so far, though a little like Eleandor's
    Eleandor, really good idea that was well executed, but the high elves bug me lol

20. Dalaran_Guard

Dalaran_Guard

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hmmmm... maybe there's just something wrong with my screen. I set it to 100% brightness though and it's still rather dark. Oh well.

@Mushroom: From what I can see, it is looking pretty good. Keep it up!