• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Challenge 2007/2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Maybe it has not been added there, but if you read through Rui's posts you will find it.

And personally I don't care much is the terrain original or not, as long as it looks good. My point is originality is not the only factor, so don't worry about it.

You're wrong. Rui's rules were that you must submit AT LEAST 3 WIP's and 1 Final screen. He never said you weren't allowed to submit more than 3 WIPS containing other parts of the map that are barely visible in the final screen. At the contrary, if your terrain is larger than just the final screen, that can only be better for your results as people should also look at the different WIPs.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
That is right. You can submit more than 3 WIPs and 1 final. But you have to have 3 WIPs. I haven't enforced this rule before, but I will now. I recommend that those that finish the terrains early post their WIPs + final again when we approach the deadline so I can easily locate them.

Level 19
And I won't do more than what is necessary, because this competition is not life. I don't want to spend all my time making a map for a contest. I will only do what is necessary and I signed in for terrain screenshots, not mapmaking. Something that looks good in one angle looks bad in another one.
How you expect to have a decent 'Terraining challenge' if you are only allowed to submit ONE SINGLE screenshot?
Whatever the number would be, it should be the same for all competitors would it be one final, two, three or even seven. No more, no less. Otherwise the competition gives an advantage to them who have time to map more than others. What if somebody decides to do all month the terrain and posts 100 final screenshots? That would not be fair to anybody. And plus the more final screenshots there are the more harder it would be for anybody to decide who is worthy of a vote. With an increasing amount of final screenshots it might happen so that people woudn't bother anymore to see all of those as it would take way too much time. One final screenshot would keep the competition simple for competitors and voters. Thinking that we make a terrain for all tilesets makes quite good number of final screenshots, and I think it can be called a Terraining Challenge. (Though all of the tilesets could be easily done this summer)

Level 8
The single screenshot things gonna jack up my terrain, as only a small amount can be viewed at a time through a screenshot. I hope this doesnt turn into another zephyr challenge where people donteven bother to download the map and check out the submission for themselves before placing their vote

Level 6
I've decided to scrap the entire naval fortress idea, and start on something new. I'm planning on making an Orcish oil refinery, and several oil platforms. The wall and gate that you see will probably be replaced as well, due to its fugliness, unless I can somehow fit it in with the terrain.

Attachments

• refinery.JPG
    refinery.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 118
Level 19
Alright. Then I will make three screenshots, but the map should not be used for judging. As I said what looks good from my camera looks bad from another angle. 17*3*34= A whopping 1734 final screenshots in the end of competition+Ashenvale if nobody is lazy.
EDIT:Btw this means I can make three maps, one for each screenshot, right? Or just change the sky and time display in the same map, right?

Last edited:
Level 8
I belive it would be ideal if you did one single map with 3 different times, otherwise you would have 3 different terrains, chich would be kind of harsh on all the others who don't have time to do that.

Level 2
Yea

That is alot better now that that is specified, I wish I would have known before I started though because I pretty much layed out an outline without doing alot of detail work, but there is still plenty of time to make good screenshots. This is a rough shot just wanted to see how a fight looked in a screenshot. Probably keep the unit fight idea just get a different area with more detail

Attachments

• Awesomenizz.jpg
    Awesomenizz.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 141

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

That looks like a screenshot from someone creeping in a normal melee match.

Level 9
WAAH! The terraining map is so cool!! How come I never knew about it when I created my cinematic maps? There are so many doodads and things I've never seen in a normal Warcraft World Editor before.

Here is a shot ay my work. It's still far from being finished. My theme used to be irrigation, but that was before I found out about those humongous barren walls.

BTW: Can anybody state in the skies of the map. I can't seem to find any except UberCloud 1, 2 and 0.

Attachments

• terrain entry 1.JPG
    terrain entry 1.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 146
  • terrain entry 2.JPG
    terrain entry 2.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 112
  • terrain entry 3.JPG
    terrain entry 3.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 135
Level 9
rep

I give up on the fortification business. I decided to continue along with my irrigation system and not include those huge walls.

Here are my 3 2nd pics requirement for the entry, It's not done yet and there are still some buggy issues like the inadvertent roofs and the bad paste clip.

Attachments

• entry 1.JPG
    entry 1.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 121
  • entry 2.JPG
    entry 2.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 133
  • entry 3.JPG
    entry 3.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 111
Level 2
hey i saw this when i was searching the forums, and i thought i should sign up and put some maps in.. i duno if its too late or whatever, but.. yea..

Level 21
Only the stuff in the UTM. If you do wish to use a custom model or skin that's not in the map, you need to ask BEFORE the contest starts. It's probably going to be a little harder as the next contest tileset hasn't been announced yet...

Anyway, I'm too lazy to check the first post, but if the above info is not in it, I advice Rui to add it to his post. If the info is already in the first post, I advice Sirbuttsalot to read it first...

Level 8
Why do so many people insist on placing units? Very few people can do it well and it almost always looks tacky. Look at how Ghenjis' and HernanG's flourish without the needs for disgusting unit models

Level 8
I find that the only way to place units and make them look good is if you don't make them stand out. The arcitecture/terrain is what you want people to see your skill in, not the models that blizzard made. So I use them sparingly and only if they seem needed.

Level 8
lol i didnt forget, my motivations just been shot for hte past 2 and a half weeks.
now i hav eto get it done before i get my wisdom teeth removed in 4 days. Woo

Level 8
[Badder Grammerz XD]

I realise that the next terrain has not been introduced yet, but can we get an approximate start date for the next one? Most likely after 2 weeks, due to the ending of this one and entry compilation. But I was just wondering.

Level 21
Ok wait a second, so how are the rules on the custom models not in the UTM? As said before, if you wish to use a skin/model not in the UTM you must announce before the next contest starts. If the next tileset is announced after the pollresults, when will the contest start? I mean, if it starts right after it's announced, you can't possibly ask if a skin/model could be used...

Level 8
I think you should consider what models you want to use for each tileset before it is announced. Just because it has not been announced yet does not mean you cannot ask for an extra resource eh?

Level 3
I proudly present my final screenshots. And I ask again: Are we supposed to attach the map now or not? It's not clear to me, since we are now allowed to post 3 Final Screenshots.
Anyways, my Shots:

Attachments

• barrens_005.jpg
    barrens_005.jpg
    617.3 KB · Views: 255
  • barrens_006.jpg
    barrens_006.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 252
  • barrens_007.jpg
    barrens_007.jpg
    612.2 KB · Views: 218
Status