• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Challenge 2007/2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
SC servers will all be shut down by blizzard when SC 2 comes out. It's been announced. Anyway, before this turns out to a SC thread, I just wanna say that 1 year is more than enough for me for 1 (one) terrain challenge (even though it's split in multiple contests). Ofcourse not everyone will leave, but it's just a way of saying...

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Blizzard always change their mind. I bet they'll even release Diablo 3 with WoW as MMO before Warcraft IV, IF they ever release Wc4. All my efforts for Wc3 are going down the drain with this SC2 stuff. I understand SC2 was made earlier and logically should receive an update earlier, but I hope they don't leave Warcraft III dying either, it is so outdated and the engine is just so old. They could at least release an expansion, which is, of course, a dream.

Level 13
I believe were still going to do barrens but the next tileset will be random to prevent people from working on it early.

Edit: WIP of my New Barrens Terrain
Its got alot of work to go still. Im planning on having around 10-15 of these little floating-rock islands and then doing a terrain under them with holes in the ground. Some will be connected with rope bridges and poles. Others will have small sections of towns and sections of bases on them.

Attachments

• Mishas Rock.jpg
    Mishas Rock.jpg
    534.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Alright, let us start the Barrens tileset! Today is the 24th May, so the Barrens tileset will end on the 24th June! You can start working on your terrains and posting them!

By the way, please keep attachments you made on this contest, since JPEG files don't take that much space.

The first post has been edited! Congrat's Herio-San, you are the Ashenvale Tileset Master!

Level 8
The infernals don't seem to fit the theme... Maybe it is because they're green? If you want to add infernals I suggest making the base more demonic as well.

Level 8
No, don't get me wrong, they look pretty cool, I don't know, it just seems like:

Orc- "Look! A random infernal!"
Thrall- "I'm going to go kill it and gain xp/protect my nation."
Carine- "No, just leave it there, it looks cool."

I mean you could make it a Fel Orc Fortress, with more green/evil, then they would fit very nicely.

Level 8
The problem a lot of people have is tastefulyl placing units. SO many people place loads of units in their terrain thinking it looks cool, but it usually ends up looking very tacky. Which is sort of how those infernos look, they just dont match up with the rest of the terrain. I suggest removing them, it will look a lot better after

Level 8
Yes, and some advice: Maybe the bridge is a bit to high? I mean the bones are not hitting the ground, you may want to raise the terran or add doodads so it looks like the bridge is supported, the floaintg bones are kind of clashing

Level 27
A little preview of what my terrain will be like .. this is the troll camp part.. but its just a little piece of it .. not done yet ... just previewing .. yes and much rocks on the troll part because they cant move the stones they live on highered platforms made of wood and such.. this took me 1:30 hours to start the map and including this to make :p

Attachments

• Preview.JPG
    Preview.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 112
Level 27
Was just a preview so do i need to attach the map? no eh? .. (or do i?)

Heres another screenshot.. i replaced the many little rock pillars to bigger rock pillars .. because acctualy it quite looked sucky.. and it took WAY to much space in the doodad limit .. now its reduced certainly with 87%.

Attachments

• Preview2.JPG
    Preview2.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Level 27
I really don't think that you need to worry about exceeding doodad limit, or if you do use WEU.

Well i used it first to work with.. but it seems to have a bug showing tool palletes only 1 time and when you click them away you cant make them come back! :s so i use normal WE again ..and anyway this is much more realistic and it looks better :)

Level 8
Wip 2

I scrapped my original idea and went with an orc Canyon City. I have a lot left to do but heres a shot of one of the streets

Attachments

• barrens wip.JPG
    barrens wip.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 155
Level 8
You might want to take more of an arial shot of the city, I think it would look a bit better than a straight up shot.

Level 8
K, I would suggest messing with the lighting a bit, maybe making it dawn/dusk so that you can have light on top of the canyon, then shadows for torches and stuff on the bottom, it would look sweet.

Level 8
Yea, i've used terragen for a long time so light is REAL easy, but you can still manipulate light in WE reasonably well, by changing camera angle/torches/time of day.

Level 8
Terragen is a free 3d terraining tool with lots of stuff, And you can use a blue sky with different time of day to get the brown...

Level 13
Hm. Well I still havnt done alot to my terrain. Its a good thing I still have some time. I have high hopes for this one, I just really wish I could stop fighting the camra angles so much. Its nearly impossible to get a good screenie because the sky always breaks in the background. Anyway, lemme know what you guys think. I still need to finish the ground below the floating islands and add some more islands in (im hoping on having around 9 along with a finished ground below)

Attachments

• Barrens_29_1.jpg
    Barrens_29_1.jpg
    640.6 KB · Views: 147
  • Barrens_29_2.jpg
    Barrens_29_2.jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 90
Level 8
Use inverted barrens stalagmites for the underside of the rocks, it would look cool. Also try and make plants look like theyre hanging off of it cuase its sorta bland at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.