1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Terraining Challenge 2007/2008

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Rui, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Ratherion

Ratherion

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ah, I was just curious because of the sheer number of terrains we have to make, and that the judging would have to be quick because of the new terrains coming out.

2. Jaakko

Jaakko

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I would have already wanted to move to the next tileset. :) Much time to wait.

3. Ratherion

Ratherion

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well I did some sketches on paper, I can't make it but I can still plan it out! :grin:

4. Herio-san

Herio-san

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So yea. My order for building materials arrived a little late....
    [​IMG]
    ...damn goblins
    No worries though, I'll just stack all my peasants on the citadel and have it up in no time :wink:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  5. Ratherion

Ratherion

Resources:
    Resources:
    Lol! :grin: good job! :infl_thumbs_up:

6. Herio-san

Herio-san

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    WIP:
    [​IMG]
    By the way, some of the terrains i've seen so far look pretty awesome. This should be a good contest :wink:

7. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    Definetly not winning this part of the contest. I'm too busy tied up with art projects and english projects to devote any time to this :(

By teh way HS, i was having problems selecting the walls in UTM and i have no way to fix it. My only suggesstion is makign an ew doodad using one with infobox's and changing the model to the walls

8. Herio-san

Herio-san

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yea, I was having the same problem. Its aggrivating lol. I'll try that if i have time. Thanks demonsofdante :wink: Anyway, im hoping to have my citadel done by today and then do the surrounding area within the next few days. (I usually terrain for about 5-10 hours at a time, pretty bad i know lol)
    Edit: It didnt work :sad: I think the model might have some sort of selection glitch.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  9. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    Same, which is why im having so much trouble finding enough consecutive free time to do so

10. Doompenguin

Doompenguin

Resources:
    Resources:
    Allright i have some WIP shots now, on some of them the terraining isnt near done, i think the first one is pretty good though. I'm not a skilled terrainer but i'd like to get better so tell me what i did good, what was bad, and ideas to improve that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll add a few more later tonight, when i've added a bit more on some of it.

11. FGRaptor

FGRaptor

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is my first work now, of the last 3 hours. its not final, sure, and not the final view; but a empty cliff is better than a wide emtpy field.
    please tell me whats good, whats bad and what i can do better.
    so far

[​IMG]

12. Herio-san

Herio-san

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @doompenguin: The random fallen over tree in the first pictures background looks very out of place ontop the hill. Also, i doubt that the trees on that hill would grow as vertically as you have them with such a slope. So you may want to fix that.
    @FGRaptor: You might want to add a path or something onto that plateau and extend your town (the plateau looks lonely). You could also try adding some ancients on there or something. In any case it looks great except the empty plateau. But as you mentioned, its unfinished.
    An Update:
    [​IMG]
    Its taking me a little longer than I thought..

Edit:
    Work Complete! ...well on the citadel anyway. Lemme know what you guys think. I still have alot of work to do on the surrounding area though. (the mountains behind the citadel and all the land before it) Not to mention I still need to add in units and such.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  13. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    Damn HS, i was doing a waterfall castle :(

14. Herio-san

Herio-san

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    lol. Great minds think alike? Anyway, mines not really a castle. Its supposed to be some sort of citadel. Still needs alot of work though..

15. Ratherion

Ratherion

Resources:
    Resources:
    Damn! Thats nice! I've never seen one of those b4, but then again 1st contest so w/e.

@HS- I suggest turning off the fog and making a great backround that fits the citadel, the purple just doesent..... fit.

@FG Raptor- That hill in the front is kind of obstructing, I mean you could do something really cool with it, but otherwise take it out and maybe enlarge the village.

@Doompenguin- Yea the fallen tree has got to go, but other than that it looks alright, try for a bit more variation in the tilesets, so instead of just leaves make like patches of leaves and dirt, maybe some lumpy grass, try for more variation with the grasses and other doodads too.

16. Killer_Mushroom

Killer_Mushroom

Resources:
    Resources:
    WIP

Just a simple, serene grove.

Attached Files:

17. Ratherion

Ratherion

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nice, I like your placement of rocks. Maybe add some critters and moonlight (you know, the typical deer eating grass in a moonlit grove..)

18. Doompenguin

Doompenguin

Resources:
    Resources:
    actually ratherion on the first screenie i have án equal amount of vines, leaves, grass and lumpy grass :p its just a bad angle for that.

19. Ratherion

Ratherion

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ahh I see, then I suggest changing the angle :)

If you can't seem to get a good one (not good for plateu, bad for cliff, etc.)
    Try zooming out a bit or looking more downwards (the camera does not have to be from eye-level)

20. Chaos

Chaos

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Herio-san, great and you beat my terraining skill easily :)

Chaos