• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Challenge 2007/2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Here is my final entry. It's a bit rushed, but satisfactory.

Attachments

• Ashenfinal2.JPG
    Ashenfinal2.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 182
  • Ashenfinal1.JPG
    Ashenfinal1.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 151
  • Ashenfinal5.JPG
    Ashenfinal5.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Ashenfinal4.JPG
    Ashenfinal4.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Ashenfinal3.JPG
    Ashenfinal3.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Ashenfinal6.JPG
    Ashenfinal6.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Ashenfinal7.JPG
    Ashenfinal7.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 165
Level 8
Well didnt get the chance to upload one last night, so heres my 2nd WIP picture, should be done in an hour. If not, i'll submit it after i get out of school

Edit: Is that a sand tile in your screenshot mushroom? I thought we werent allowed to use custom tilesets

Attachments

• ashenvale2.JPG
    ashenvale2.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Level 6
My ones.

A simple one, thnx a lot to the makers of Ultimate Terraining Map, I named it "The Last Stand of Elves against the Horde.
The story is this, the Horde invasioned to Ashenvale and after years of combat they completed building a whole Citadel in the middle of Ashenvale.
I hope you're gonna like it. Look.[If you can't recognize what is shown in the last thumbnail then click on it or here]

Attachments

• My Terrain1.jpg
    My Terrain1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 128
  • MyTerrain2.jpg
    MyTerrain2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 78
  • MyTerrain3.jpg
    MyTerrain3.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 90
  • MyTerrain4.jpg
    MyTerrain4.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 88
  • MyTerrain5.jpg
    MyTerrain5.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 92

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I was about to un-accept terrains after mid-night. But I'll open an exception for you. To the other guys, if you submited your terrain in pages under 20, please consider posting and re-attaching them to your post, so I can locate your submissions more easily.

Level 8
I thank you for your consideration, Rui. Assuming that no one else has any qualms about it, I will be posting the pics in about 3-ish hours, at which time it will be midnight for me. Should I fail to finish by then, that's my fault and there is nothing that can be done about it. Once again, thanks....

EDIT: Okay, so this will have to do. It was originally supposed to be a swamp hut, but ran out of time for the hut and its immediate surroundings.

Anyway, WIP shots and final submission, in that order:

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Level 6
My first WIP for the Barrens Tileset: an Orcish Naval Fortress. I am planning on making an additional section to this terrain, which will be the landscape beyond the cliffs/spires.

Attachments

• Dustfort.JPG
    Dustfort.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 146
Level 8
Look awesome mushroom, definetly add something to the water to make it more exciting. Possibly a ship or something

I'm gonna try desert covered ruins

Level 8
Ohh you could do a fleet of Orc Juggernaughts and Warships/corsairs defending the base against an alliance naval attack!

Level 8
Yea, you could go with a shot along the bow of one ship looking from water-height at the base. ( I could'nt find a pic, srry)

Rui

Rui

Level 41
The Ashenvale Master is not decided yet. The contest of Barrens has not officially started, but I guess it's ok that you place screenshots.

Either way, I will not announce the tileset that comes next to Barrens, for I think it should be 1 month exactly, regardless of the 30 or 31 days.

Level 3
Damn, cause of a new pc game i just buyed and the work on my new map i totally forgot to post the final image. Well.. honestly i never worked again on my pic since I last posted smth. Nah, can't change it now, but I attach the pic that would have been my final one.
I hope i won't forget barrens again. I think I'll mark the dates in my calender >.>

Attachments

• ashenvale_006.jpg
    ashenvale_006.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 139
Level 13
My main reason for wanting to use the rock is that it is solid all the way around, so if you look at it from the bottom you dont see a big hole. This makes it useful for areas where rock formations are seen from multiple angles (ex. tunnels etc.)

Edit: Some WIP of my new terrain since the naval base idea is already being used.

Edit 2: Some more WIP (3-7)

Attachments

• Barrens.jpg
    Barrens.jpg
    654.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Shamen.jpg
    Shamen.jpg
    605 KB · Views: 124
  • Shamen Camp 2.jpg
    Shamen Camp 2.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Shamen Camp 3.jpg
    Shamen Camp 3.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Shamen Camp 4.jpg
    Shamen Camp 4.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Shamen Camp.jpg
    Shamen Camp.jpg
    570.4 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Level 8
I mean... Arcane Temple is more of a Dalaran theme. GL though.

I suggest using the Gul'dan Runes on Totems, that would look wicked.

Level 8
Naw not the traditional temple, more D2ish, but hte outside is def barrens

I have most of the inside finished, but that part doesnt look barrens at all. The outside is the most unfinished part at the moment

Level 8
And Herio-san, I suggest you add something like a valuable resouce for your camp, I mean the Tauren/anyone else would not have made a rondom camp anywhere, it has to have a oasis/goldmine/war outpost or something.

Level 8
Wip

Well heres a picture of the inside of the temple and a WIP of the outside, the outside looks horrible at the moment. Hopefully the inside will turn out the way i want it.

Attachments

• barrenswip.JPG
    barrenswip.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 82
  • barrenswip3.JPG
    barrenswip3.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 97
Level 21
I was looking at the tilesets today, and I am worried a bit now... For example, take the Dalaran tileset.
There's nothing wrong with making a terrain in Dalaran, but I fear that in (the next contest) Dalaran Ruins I won't be able to make a decent terrain, simply because dalaran and Dalaran ruins are basically the same... same goes for Black citadel and Outland and Village and Village fall. then I also realised that the Lordaeron's are actually boring terrains. Especially because there's already a better tileset for each Lordaeron tileset. Take Lodaeron Winter: everyone agrees that Northrend (or Icecrown glacier, but I think there are too many differences between those) is alot better. Village fall is a better version of Lordaeron fall (IMO...)

What's your opinion on this?

I also noticed that Barrens comes after Ashenvale. Is it on purpose or a coincidence? if it's on purpose, I'm worried that some tilesets that follow each others will be bad for my inspiration. For example if I just did a lordaeron winter tileset, I don't feel alot like making another winter map in Northrend. Same goes for Cityscape and Dalaran (which actually ressemble alot too).

My suggestions (which you really don't have to take in account, but whatever): When for example the Cityscape contest starts, you should get the choice in picking Cityscape, Dalaran or Dalaran Ruins. This way the next contest won't be in a similar tileset, and the contest time will also be decreased (to 1 year instead of 1,5... by that time everyone already left wc for sc anyway, so...)

Last edited:
Level 8
Well we're going in alphabetical order which is why barrens if after ashenvale. Also, Rui stated that Outland/Black Citadel would be paired together, same i'm assuming for Dalaran and Dalaran Ruins. I think for the Lordaeron one we should be able to pick 2 seasons out of the three and do them. Rather than all 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.