• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Challenge 2007/2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
He means attach the terrain map, like the actual wc3x file that the terrain is on, so that others can see the terrain from other veiws and so on.

Level 8
Hm. Well I still havnt done alot to my terrain. Its a good thing I still have some time. I have high hopes for this one, I just really wish I could stop fighting the camra angles so much. Its nearly impossible to get a good screenie because the sky always breaks in the background. Anyway, lemme know what you guys think. I still need to finish the ground below the floating islands and add some more islands in (im hoping on having around 9 along with a finished ground below)

Well, I am really loving the idea, Herio, but I have to agree that it would probably fit more into outland. Either way, however, I am sure it will be great...

Level 3
First WIP Shots

So, here are my first WIP Shots, the 2 requried. Please give comment which setting is better, night with fog or dawn without.
Now that this is finished I'll work on the details now, so don't worry.

Attachments

• barrens_002.jpg
    barrens_002.jpg
    661 KB · Views: 114
  • barrens_004.jpg
    barrens_004.jpg
    554.3 KB · Views: 130
Level 13
Wow. I worked for 5 hours on my terrain today... Its still less than half finished too... I still have to finish the surrounding area and add in the last islands. I'll post screenies sometime later (Its a mess right now - I like to scatter doodads while I build my terrains)
Anyway, right now I've finished my river, two of the floating islands and 3 city buildings (fully furnished). I still need to add in the other buildings (there will be alot more) and the other "Enchanted Islets". Then some finishing touches (lighting, elevation fixes, smoothing etc.) Well I've got alot of work ahead of me. Good luck to everyone - the terrains are looking 1337!

Level 8
Yeah i'm like 1/4 of the way done with mine and im lacking motivation :). I'll pull an all nighter the day before its due though.

Offtopic: Badass sig, HS

Level 2
Can I get signed up as a participant? I'm pretty new to Hive but I love terrain editing, since I can't model, need some work on my terraining but Im not terrible

Level 19
I place my bets on you again for this tileset, Herio!
Wtf? Last time you voted for demonsofdante, not Herio-san. If Herio wins again with that picture I will rip my game pants. I will reconsider after seeing the final picture, but that is not enough. It's empty, but meh the cliffs hanging are a bit original. Personally I liked again the orc canyon of demonsofdante.

Btw the Ashenvale picture that won was not finished in the corner cliffs totally. I would say it won through its original use of doodads with the cliff citadel, but it was partially unfinished picture.

Level 13
The first WIP rocked! The rest is also looking very good! The last one is a bit empty, yet that tree still makes it look wonderful!

I place my bets on you again for this tileset, Herio!

Thanks rui, I appreciate the compliments. Im still working on it but the first screenie is one of the main views that is nearly complete. The rest of the outside screens are quite unfinished. So far I have 3 of the many buildings completed and I still need to finish up some of the flying islets. As for Jaakko's comment, the terrain is still greatly unfinished. I have barely started that side in the final screenie. Most of my work so far has been on that main entrance and the flying islands. Hopefully the whole terrain will look great when im through, but only time will tell.
And unfortunately yes, my ashenvale entry was still partially unfinished. The sad thing was that I spent alot of time on details that were nearly unnoticable. Then again, I guess I do that alot haha.

Edit: Been working alot on my terrain. Think imma take a break for the rest of the day :smile: It would be horrible if my little peon had a heart attack lol.
stillworkingqw7.gif

Last edited:
Level 13
haha thanks Rui :smile: I thought you guys might like that. See, I cant just work strait on my terrain. I hafta take breaks and play around haha. Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to finish a large section of the terrain today which is the military district of the town.
I finally came up for a title for my terrain too, its the "Vally of the Eredar". This title is appropriate because Kil'jaeden the Deceiver (lieutenant of Sargeras) passed through this vally on his way to confront the high shaman Ner'zhul, supreme leader of the various Orc tribes. His fel magics enchanted the lands as he walked through them, ultimately morphing the land into what you see now. Only recently did the orc tribes seek to return to this sacred land that marked the beginning of their suffering.

Level 2
Herio, how did you get the rope bridge, wip 3, to work? Whenever I try to use it it falls to the bottom of my cliffs.....

Level 13
Wow lol. Well To answer some of the questions.
Rui: I Basically just took 4 screenshots then used Adobe Imageready to make them into an animated gif by tweening them together.
Jaakko: I guess I have ocd but it drives me insane to only do a small piece of a terrain and not finish it. Besides, after I've made a terrain for every tileset I could almost make an entire campaign by adding in pathing blockers etc.
CorDawgg: You can use Ctrl+Page Up/Page Down to move doodads up and down.

Level 8
I suggest making the canyon more.. canyony. I mean it is not usualy smooth, so when you have time to do more work you could add steeper, maybe even use the cliff function for walls then use raise terrain.

Level 13
lol everyones doing canyons now :sad: I WANT OFF THE BANDWAGON!!! oh well. Its too late for me to redo it now haha.
Also Jaakko, I could do it. Im not sure if I will though haha. Would be a crapload of work. Plus none of the terrains are really large enough. Id hafta do some serious expansion on each terrain. But it would still be a pretty awesome game. Or cinematic even.

Level 2
.....Canyons........

.....I have a canyon too, lol, mine doesnt have a river on the bottom though, and my sides arent rounded

Level 8
I wanted a canyon from the start but i knew everyone would try one so i tried to do that arcane temple thing. Then i realized people would most likely vote for elaborate cities above anything else, so i switched back to my original idea. But lately i've had no motivation. Be on the look out for mine an hour before hte deadline

Level 27
Canyon... ehm.. mine is acctualy a ravine .. that makes me original doesnt it xD ?

Those were the rules.

[highlight\Deadline: The Barrens Tileset has started, and can now post screenshots of the Barrens Tileset ONLY. The deadline for the Barrens tileset is on the 23rd June.[/code]

is the only thing i can find lol. i cant find any rules in the post of just one single screenshot counting..

Last edited:
Level 10
Lol, yea I know the sides of mine are smooth, dont worry, im still working on it, im putting in eviromental doodads LAST.

About all the canyons, i didnt even know how many people was doing a canyon, everything im putting into this terrain has been in my head since the barrens tileset started, so if it looks like im copying anyone else, im really not =(

The terrain is comign along now, so its not just those smooth canyon walls

Last edited:
Level 19
is the only thing i can find lol. i cant find any rules in the post of just one single screenshot counting..
Maybe it has not been added there, but if you read through Rui's posts you will find it.

And personally I don't care much is the terrain original or not, as long as it looks good. My point is originality is not the only factor, so don't worry about it.

Level 8
I'm doing a fortress suspended over a volcano vent filled with Lava....

Am I allowed to do Trigger doodads? Like if I wanted to do a cinematic sceenshot from in-game, with an obelisk castin those Arcane Chains on another obelisk across the crater? so that I have several red-glowing suspended chains that looks like they are holding up the city.

Level 8
Well (i know its a bit late here) im far from a good terrainer but im gonna wing it and give this a shot. (Plz forgive the following question if you find it somewhat noobish)
Have the contests started for any other terrain except the barrens? (my comp is way to slow to read 30 pages of posts)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.