• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #4 - Improved Melee Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 38
3 heroes is probably an ideal amount for this contest, especially if you offer one at each stage of a 3-tiered town hall. Before the expansion each race only had three heroes anyways.

There isn't a specific number you need to have. If the concept of your race is really streamlined and compensates well for the lack or excess of heroes you could probably do any amount you wanted, though the more you deviate from more familiar quantities the greater the risk of failing in implementing it in a balanced fashion.

Last edited:
Level 13
My map crashed and somehow i cannot open it :/

EDIT: Would a Gilneas Race count as improved Humans?

Level 17
I'm going to have to pull out of the contest - due to some personal issues (also that my map repeatedly crashes upon WE opening) - I can no longer work on this.
Feel free to use the idea of 'Fel Orcs' if you haven't started yet or you want to restart, good luck guys.

Level 3
WIP
Race: Undead
Theme: This undead army is commanded by the powerful Death Revenant.
Unnamed.jpg
Zombie (basic melee)
Skeleton warrior (melee, can change weapon)
Skeleton archer (range/anti-air, can change weapon)
Skeleton giant (heavy melee)
Bone collector (siege engine)
Unnamed2.jpg
Spell casters:
Reaper (offensive)
Skeleton mage (special support)
Shadow ascendant (Special offence/support)
Unnamed3.jpg
Flyers and workers:
Death barge (transport/bomber)
Bone dragon (heavy attack flyer)
Dead swarm (light flyer/scout)
Evil tree (light melee/lumber gatherer)
Ghost (worker, looking for other model)
Unnamed1.jpg
Heroes:
Shadow priestess (agile assassin, ranged)
Death revenant (intelligent support, melee)
Skeleton king (strong rouge, melee)
Zombie lord (strong tank, melee)

There will be some changes later but this is the mainframe of my undead army.

So, I can't really give some screenies since I started yesterday, but I'll give my race's units an overview.

Summoner - Worker of the Naga. The only ranged attack worker. Summons like the Acolyte and enchants gold mines.
Water Hound - Fast, basic warriors. Basically a melee version of the Snap Dragon. Also serves as an Anti-air unit, similar to Crypt Fiends.
Barnacle Turtle - Slow, powerful, lumber-harvester and tank. Can transport units, and use a special ability on Coral Beds that continuously gathers lumber.
Infector - Buffer and spawner. Can encumber the enemy easily, as well as create little armies of Infections.
Ethereal - Main caster. A support unit for the Naga, very good at buffing allies.
Reaver - Secondary caster. Another support unit which is adept at buffing enemies.
Myrmidon - Enemy encumberer. It basically encumbers the enemies, using stunning and slowing.
Basilisk - Nuker. Uses the Hydra model, and can permanently spawn into 3 smaller Mantalisks.
Tortoise - Fast organic siege unit. Kinda like the Mortar Team. Can also use stealth attacks.
Sea Dragon - Heavy nuker. Basically a Naga Frost Wyrm.
Couatl - Scout and aerial support. Fast, nimble, and effective against other air units.

HEROES:
Tidal Lord - Strength hero, good at running in and out headfirst.
Dreamweaver - Intelligence hero, a good old nuker, though very frail.
Watcher - Agility hero, a speedy attacker and support hero.
Frost Guard - Agility hero, good at encumbering/disrupting the enemies.

Also, LUMBER SYSTEM:
The Naga, pfff, don' need no lumba! They harvest limestones naturally growing on Coral Beds! The mechanics:
The Naga have a food production building, Coral Beds, which the Barnacle Turtles can use the Collect Coral ability on. This turtle becomes 'attached' to the Coral Bed.
For each Barnacle Turtle 'attached' to a Coral Bed, it generates 1 lumber/sec. You may have up to 3 Turtles attached per Bed. Of course, Turtles can always detach.
The good side, fast and endless Lumber generation, and Barnacle Turtles have HP750!. The bad side, OMFG Barnacle Turtles have NO ATTACK and cost 3 Food! So, it should be balanced, but I'm open to suggestions and changes.

Having a hard time finding models :( Will give some screenies soon.

Last edited:
Level 38
Does anyone know if rally flag textures can be over-written? I've tried the path names
UI\Feedback\RallyPoint\RallyFlags.blp
and
UI\Feedback\WaypointFlags\RallyFlags.blp
and neither of them seem to get it to work 8(

@GhostThruster: Overall sounds pretty cool.
Giving the Barnacle Turtle the ability to transport units seems kind of pointless though, especially for a slow ground-based unit. If it had standard movement speed and served the purpose of a battering ram without it it might be more fitting, or if it was one of the only units on your force with amphibious movement.

@ Pharaoh_: Should every resource used in this contest be publicly available, or is it all right to make resources for a race that nobody but the creator will have access to?

I've been making a few skins for my race, and I'm not sure I'll go through the motions of submitting them before the end of the contest :(

The filenames are:
UI\Feedback\Rallypoint\Rallypoint.blp
UI\Feedback\Rallypoint\RallyFlags.blp
I think you mis-spelt them.

@67chrome: Thank you.
I didn't want to say, but he has an ability called Sharp Spikes that has a chance to knockback attackers. So, when transporting the units, they are very safe (HP750 remember). They are supposed to be used early game, as they are a Tier 1 unit, as with Water Hounds. Sadly, there is little to no water on the map. Curse you Pharaoh_!!!

Level 9
I am now officially in this competition. Just thought I'd let you guys know.
I am making a Undead race, Ancient Keepers is my name for them right now (subject to change, as everything).

The original Ancient Keepers were infact a group of Nerubian Viziers that possessed deep knowledge in necromancy.
They kept the secret of making beings immortal.
They began their research when they first witnessed the destructive powers of the Burning Legion and seeked the same power for themselves. The research went on and they eventually managed to make a immortal being.
It is important to know that the Vizirs themselves knew the potential dangers of this knowledge and that was why they decided to keep it a secret. Because what their research concluded that unless you had the priviledge the Night Elves had. You in in order to turn immortal, would have to die first.
However, the Vizirs were unsure about how the body and mind of the subjekt would react on the foul magic that was nessesary to make this work.

Thankfully the Nerubian Vizir named Zpaldir died just a few days after that question was brought to light.
When Zpaldir awoke, they concluded that he was immortal and most of his memories were intact.
Zpaldir seemed like he was in a calm state of mind when he awoke, and that was true.
However the following days Zpaldir couldn’t stop thinking about how convinient his death was and believe that a Vizir were responsible for his death.
Unsure about what to do and filled with rage, he killed all of them, since that was the easiest way to make sure that the one responsible was punished.
After this incident everything involving necromancy was banned in the Nerubian empire.

The reason why the Lich King first overthrew the Nerubian Empire was because he had heard Zpaldir had been seen in the vicinity.
Him being the last Nerubian Vizir to possess an incredible knowledge in necromancy, the Lich King knew he had to find him.
However he was not found by the Lich King but by one of his enemies also seeking for him.
But this only happened recently, when one of the Banshee Queens scouts found trails of him in the Plaguelands.
Cought in his own net, so to speak the Nerubian Vizir agreed on helping the Banshee Queen with killing the man who destroyed his old home.

This will be a race consisting of Skeletons and Nerubians (Subject to change, as everything).

Last edited:
@ Ghost, the turtle seems both imba and up.

I suggest adding a cap of 2-3 turtles for each Coral, And giving th turtles the ability to attack buildings, while removing their ability to carry troops, and perhapse a limited researchable taunt to make this guy really annoying. Also, remove the knockback.
- Thats my humble oppinion.

Level 51
Here are the first units of my Quilboar race :)

Quilboar Dirtcrawler: Basic worker-unit of the quilboars. Can be compared with the peon. Has no special functionalities rather than harvesting resources.

Quilboar Thornwatcher: Basic Tier 1 Meele unit. Has lower hp and damage than the grunt, though, it doesn't cost that much. It is a middle of footman and grunt

Quilboar Champion: Tier 3 Meele unit. Is nearly as strong as the knight. Has strong tank abillities, and is good to block a mass of units.

Quilboar Medicineman: Healer and shamanisitc unit of the Quilboar army.

Attachments

• FirstUnits.JPG
    FirstUnits.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
@ Pharaoh_: Should every resource used in this contest be publicly available, or is it all right to make resources for a race that nobody but the creator will have access to?

I've been making a few skins for my race, and I'm not sure I'll go through the motions of submitting them before the end of the contest :(

You are free to use your own resources, specifically designed/created for this contest. ;)

Level 12
I'm joining in with Orcs as the Old Horde.

Here's some pics of the race in an early state:

race2l.png

race1o.png

Old Horde: (Incomplete)
Units:
-Peon: This may look like the normal game peon, but the only similarity is that they are both able to build. The Old Horde Peon only gathers gold through excavating and using Gold Mines. They are NOT able to gather lumber.
-Ogre Slave: Two-headed Ogres who serve as basic ranged warriors and lumber harvesters for the Orcs.
-Axemaster (Agility Hero): Cunning Hero, ravages through enemy groups as he swiftly slays unit by unit using his axe.

Building:
-Great Hall: Similar the original one; Trains Peons and contains some unit upgrades.
-Excavated Gold Mine: Peons gather gold through this building. A Gold Mine must be excavated by a Peon before use.
-Barracks: Trains basic warriors for the Old Horde. Additionally, Attack and Defense Upgrades for the army are researched here.
-Altar of Flames: Trains Heroes, revives slain ones.

Other Info:
- I will remove the sfx/animation/doodad alterations before submitting the final thing, so no smartass comments about them please.

Level 17
Here is what I have so far :

The Horde

Story

It has been years since the fall of the Burning Legion, the Hord has finally broke free of its curse, the Burning Legion.

Tech

There are 4 unit production structures, each has 3 tiers.

These structures are Orc Barracks, Troll Lodge, Tauren Totem and Goblin Laboratory

Each one has a unit for each tier, including spell casters and "massive" units

Each structure will also hold upgrades only for the specific race/faction and have a special function.

Example(Upgrades) :

The Troll Lodge has an upgrade Voodoo Masks that effects all troll units, granting them increased damage, attack speed, health and mana for the casters.

Example(Special Function) :

The Goblin Laboratory can be used to transport units via the rocket way

Units and Buldings

Orc Barracks

Grunt - Normal Tier-One unit, has the Fury Ability
Orcish Marauder - Tier-Two unit
Orcish Shaman - Tier-Two caster
~

Troll Lodge

Troll Berserker - Tier-One ranged unit
Troll Voodoo Priest - Tier-Two Caster
~

Tauren Totem

~

Goblin Laboratory

~

----------------------------------------------------------

Lumber Mill

Has the robo worker ability

Summons Automated Robotic harvesters to harvest lumber

----------------------------------------------------------

~ = Still need some units/Not Done yet

This is what I have so far.

Goodluck to all stil in the contest :)

@ Ghost, the turtle seems both imba and up.

I suggest adding a cap of 2-3 turtles for each Coral, And giving th turtles the ability to attack buildings, while removing their ability to carry troops, and perhapse a limited researchable taunt to make this guy really annoying. Also, remove the knockback.
- Thats my humble oppinion.

You may have up to 3 Turtles attached per Bed.
2. I've already gotten a fast hit-and-run turtle (or "Tortoise").
3. He's not a true tank. He only has HP750, whereas the Mountain Giant has HP1600 (I think it was boosted with the patch). That's why he has the knockback. It won't be 50% chance to kb, I assure you, that would be imba, it will be 25% or less (probably less).

Oh, and he costs 3 food. So, that's 9 food for 3 lumber/sec. And they have no attacks. Pretty balanced to me.
But, I guess it's possible to do your suggestion...I'll see how it turns out. Thanks.

EDIT: @Lich Prince: I can't really judge, because it is incomplete, however, I don't think you should name the Altar, Altar of Flames. The Orcs never really used fire, it was more of a Demon and BElf thing, unless you plan to implement fire in your race, that's ok.

@Xiliger: Looks good, I like how you seperated the buildings by race. So, each building has a basic, caster, and heavy (or ultimate, you get the idea).
(eg. for the Barracks, you have:
Grunt - basic
Shaman - caster
Marauder - heavy)

EDIT 2: Screenies!
1: Worker
Summoner - Edited\Animated by me
attachment.php

2: Basic Units

Water Hound - Skin by Pyramidhe@d
Barnacle Turtle - Edited by me
Infector
attachment.php

3: Casters

Ethereal
Reaver
attachment.php

4: Advanced Units

Tortoise
Basilisk + Mantalisk (edited by me)
Myrmidon
attachment.php

5: Flyers
Sea Dragon - jigrael
Couatl
attachment.php

Attachments

• Worker.jpg
    Worker.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 262
  • Basic Units.jpg
    Basic Units.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 218
  • Casters.jpg
    Casters.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 223
  • Advanced Units.jpg
    Advanced Units.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 257
  • Flyers.jpg
    Flyers.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Level 35
Hmmm.... I should continue work on my race, I guess :p
So, I think I'm still up to where I was before (basically just coming up with spells for the caster and the hero).

I notice a LOT of people have created 4 heroes for their race, VERY ambitious, I hope your masses of units turn out to not have overlapping roles ;)

Now... I... don't know what I want to really change in my race.
When's the final date for submitions again, btw?

Level 12
February 7, Wazzz.

EDIT: @Lich Prince: I can't really judge, because it is incomplete, however, I don't think you should name the Altar, Altar of Flames. The Orcs never really used fire, it was more of a Demon and BElf thing, unless you plan to implement fire in your race, that's ok.

Nou D=, I don't plan to involve fire in the race. I couldn't think of a better name for the Altar but decided to go with Flames since the Old Horde were highly shamanistic back then. Suggest a better name for it if you can. Oh and your race looks teh sexy.

Although the turtle lumber idea is awesome, it is HIGHLY IMBA. 9 food for 3 lumber, seriously? Reduce the food cost by 1 or increase the lumber productivity rate a bit imo.

Level 38
You are free to use your own resources, specifically designed/created for this contest. ;)

Excellent :}

The filenames are:
UI\Feedback\Rallypoint\Rallypoint.blp
UI\Feedback\Rallypoint\RallyFlags.blp
I think you mis-spelt them.

Well, I posted the path names for the orc flag texture in both TFT and ROC, but if it were just one you'd be right. I think the rally flags might be something lame like team color were it can't be overwritten :(

Level 49
Did you try replacing the model instead?
The paths are:
UI\Feedback\RallyPoint\RallyPoint.mdx
UI\Feedback\RallyPoint\OrcRallyPoint.mdx
UI\Feedback\RallyPoint\UndeadRallyPoint.mdx
UI\Feedback\RallyPoint\NightElfRallyPoint.mdx

AND\OR (I'm not sure what's the difference, you'll have to try yourself)

UI\Feedback\WaypointFlags\WaypointFlag.mdx
UI\Feedback\WaypointFlags\OrcWaypointFlag.mdx
UI\Feedback\WaypointFlags\NightElfWaypointFlag.mdx
UI\Feedback\WaypointFlags\UndeadWaypointFlag.mdx

And in TFT, they changed the rally flag texture paths to(The typo is purposeful):
Textures\RallPoint.blp
Textures\RallyFlags.blp

Anyone (except judges) can join!

@Xiliger: Power of Corruption(play it, it's the best altered melee ever!) inspired me, and I got a few models from there as well.

@Wazzz: How could you not have four heroes? Might as well not include a barracks then :p
I came up with 3 races, that's right 3(I made a Blood Elf, Demon and Naga Race for a map I made), in 2 hours. Everyone should be able to come up with an extra hero AND a promising gameplay :O

@Lich Prince: So, highly shamanistic, eh? Altar of Souls, Altar of Worship, Altar of Tributes, Altar of Elements... anything but fire.

9 food for 3 lumber/sec, so in a minute, that would be 180!!! All just for 9 food. I think that's pretty balanced, but I can always tweak it in the future.

@VeljkoM: Custom resource systems suck. They're hard to balance (as TWIF pointed out), and sometimes they make your map worse than better. ~But if you pull it off, it's instant win.

@TWIF: I will complete it first, then I shall tweak it.

Nearly done... Are you allowed to use screenshot icons if the author of the model is inactive?

Last edited:
Level 35
Not have four models? What?
Seriously, why would you even need 4 heroes anyway? The Naga campaign race only has one hero. The main idea is to create a hero with a clearly defined role.
The main problem I'm having with my caster is I'm not 100% sure on the role I want it to carry out. I kind of want my race to be more offensive than defensive (so it's pretty much the opposite of the current Human race), but I still don't know if my caster unit should be defensive, offensive or a mix. I'm leaning towards a mix where on spell is offensive while the other two are more defensive, but I'm also thinking of trying to come up with a spell that is both defensive AND offensive.

As for the hero, it's a Dark Wizard and I'm thinking of making it have abilities similar to the Archmage (only definably different, of course), I just haven't bothered doing it.

Making Blood Elves, Demons and Naga for a map in less than two hours isn't really something to be proud of, it's pretty easy to make those races with a lack of quality when they're practically already done for you.

Level 38
Did you try replacing the model instead?
The paths are:
UI\Feedback\RallyPoint\RallyPoint.mdx
UI\Feedback\RallyPoint\OrcRallyPoint.mdx
UI\Feedback\RallyPoint\UndeadRallyPoint.mdx
UI\Feedback\RallyPoint\NightElfRallyPoint.mdx

AND\OR (I'm not sure what's the difference, you'll have to try yourself)

UI\Feedback\WaypointFlags\WaypointFlag.mdx
UI\Feedback\WaypointFlags\OrcWaypointFlag.mdx
UI\Feedback\WaypointFlags\NightElfWaypointFlag.mdx
UI\Feedback\WaypointFlags\UndeadWaypointFlag.mdx

And in TFT, they changed the rally flag texture paths to(The typo is purposeful):
Textures\RallPoint.blp
Textures\RallyFlags.blp

All right, thanks. Textures\RallyFlags.blp works :D
Third times the charm, or third pathname for the same texture I guess. Why the same file is in the .mpqs 3 times is beyond me.

Level 9
Thought I'd let you guys know what I did yesterday and today.
My heroes are pretty much all done. Unlike the rest of my race.
Anyway - Enjoy my heroes.

thumb_BTNSkeletonMage.png
Magistrate of Death

magistrateofdeath.jpg

thumb_BTNDeathCoil.png
Caster uses unholy powers in order to steal souls. As caster tries to steal the soul out of a dead body the corpse explodes and soul gets released.
btngreenfire.jpg
Wreaths an enemy unit in magical flames which cause damage over time, prevent the casting of spells, and reduce attack damage by 7.
icons_6131_btn.jpg
Whenever a unit casts a spell while under this aura, it will restore percentage of it's mana.
thumb_BTNInfernalStone.png
Calls an Infernal down from the sky, dealing X damage and stunning enemy land units for <AUin,Dur1> seconds in an area.
The Infernal lasts 180 seconds.

thumb_BTNCryptFiend.png
Nerubian Spiderlord

broodking.jpg

thumb_BTNImpale.png
Slams the ground with the Crypt Lord's massive claws, shooting spiked tendrils out in a straight line, dealing damage and hurling enemy ground units into the air in their wake
thumb_BTNCorrosiveBreath.png
Gives a 20% chance on attack to inject poison into the enemy, dealing 30 damage over time. The poisoned unit also has has its movement speed slowed for a short duration.
BTNCarrionScarabsOff.png
The Nerubian Spiderlord progenerates Carrion Beetle from a target corpse to attack the Nerubian Spiderlord's enemies.
thumb_BTNDarkSummoning.png
Wreathes an area with dark magic, which deals damage to all enemies within 350 range every second, and raises all corpses for a short time.

thumb_BTNBansheeRanger.png
Banshee Queen

bansheequeen.jpg

icons_2658_pas.jpg
Adds bonus poison damage to an attack, but drains mana with each shot fired. Poison Arrow also causes the enemy to become poisoned, slowing their movement speed and dealing damage over time
btncloudofdarkness.jpg
Summons a dark cloud at a target location, causing enemy ground units within to miss when attacking.
thumb_BTNLifeDrain.png
Absorbs the life essence of a target enemy unit by taking hit points from it every second and giving them to the Banshee Queen.
thumb_BTNDoom.png
Marks a target unit for the manifestation of a Torment. The afflicted unit cannot cast spells and will take X damage per second until it dies. Upon its death, two Wraiths' will spawn from its corpse
Might make a few tweaks here and there and maybe replace a spell or two, but this is how they are now atleast. Didn't want to waste to much precious time on creating heroes since it is the race that matters in the end. So I ended up using some default Warcraft Spells, which I dislike but still don't think the Heroes are fine as they are now.

By the way did you guys read the lore I came up for my Undead race?
Hopefully you guys will find it entertaining even though my English kind of sucks.
The original Ancient Keepers were infact a group of Nerubian Viziers that possessed deep knowledge in necromancy.
They kept the secret of making beings immortal.
They began their research when they first witnessed the destructive powers of the Burning Legion and seeked the same power for themselves. The research went on and they eventually managed to make a immortal being.
It is important to know that the Vizirs themselves knew the potential dangers of this knowledge and that was why they decided to keep it a secret. Because what their research concluded that unless you had the priviledge the Night Elves had. You in in order to turn immortal, would have to die first.
However, the Vizirs were unsure about how the body and mind of the subjekt would react on the foul magic that was nessesary to make this work.

Thankfully the Nerubian Vizir named Zpaldir died just a few days after that question was brought to light.
When Zpaldir awoke, they concluded that he was immortal and most of his memories were intact.
Zpaldir seemed like he was in a calm state of mind when he awoke, and that was true.
However the following days Zpaldir couldn’t stop thinking about how convinient his death was and believed that a Vizir were responsible for his death.
Unsure about what to do and filled with rage, he killed all of them, since that was the easiest way to make sure that the one responsible was punished.
After this incident everything involving necromancy was banned in the Nerubian empire.

The reason why the Lich King first overthrew the Nerubian Empire was because he had heard Zpaldir had been seen in the vicinity.
Him being the last Nerubian Vizir to possess an incredible knowledge in necromancy, the Lich King knew he had to find him. However he was not found by the Lich King but by one of his enemies also seeking for him.
But this only happened recently, when one of the Banshee Queens scouts found trails of him in the Plaguelands.
Cought in his own net, so to speak the Nerubian Vizir agreed on helping the Banshee Queen with killing the man who destroyed his old home.

Also, does anyone know who have made the "Broodking.mdx" (Nerubian Spiderlord model)?
I know it is from Hero Contest #2 from Wc3c.net however I am unsuccessful in finding the creator of the model.
What about you guys? How is it going?

Last edited:
Level 13
If I am judge, i will probably be downrating any race that doesent conform to the normal melee balance/setup.
That includes melee staples that all 4 races adhere to. 4 heroes, item shop, proper item makeup. ect.

Sounds fair :D

Level 35
If I am judge, i will probably be downrating any race that doesent conform to the normal melee balance/setup.
That includes melee staples that all 4 races adhere to. 4 heroes, item shop, proper item makeup. ect.

Really bad idea, as the initial idea is not to make a new 'melee' race, so to speak, but to redo them. As Pharaoh_ said AGES ago, it doesn't matter how many units or heroes you have, just that the more you have, the higher risk you have of repeating unit roles and such.

Seriously, don't judge on your own methods, judge on how Pharaoh_ initially stated. Otherwise it's just unfair, as we're all following the rules that Pharaoh_ put down, not anyone else.

Level 9

The World Is Flat, the races initially only had 3 heroes, so technically it's "normal" for a race to have 3 heroes.
Also how would you rate the Naga? Because last time I checked they only had 1 hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.