• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #4 - Improved Melee Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
So far by me the proggres is so :
~The Twilight's Hammer Clan ~

Worker Twilight Peon - Abilities basic + Advanced Harvesting
Meele 1 Twilight Grunt - Enrage( a berserker like stance)
Ranged 1 -----

Siege Machine Fire Spitter - Abilities Fire Blast Creates a wave of fire in front of the machine
Magic 1 Necrolyte Abilities Rise Dead(rises 2 orc skeletons) Death Bolt (heals the skeletons or damages the living) Cripple (classic)
Magic 2 Warlock~In proggress
Magic 3 Ogre Magi~In proggress
Meele 2 ----
Ranged 2 ----
Flying 1 ----

Meele 3 Ogre Brute Smash, Tough Armor
Flying 2 Dragon Abilities Devour , Fire Breath

Level 7
So far by me the proggres is so :
~The Twilight's Hammer Clan ~

Worker Twilight Peon - Abilities basic + Advanced Harvesting
Meele 1 Twilight Grunt - Enrage( a berserker like stance)
Ranged 1 -----

Siege Machine Fire Spitter - Abilities Fire Blast Creates a wave of fire in front of the machine
Magic 1 Necrolyte Abilities Rise Dead(rises 2 orc skeletons) Death Bolt (heals the skeletons or damages the living) Cripple (classic)
Magic 2 Warlock~In proggress
Magic 3 Ogre Magi~In proggress
Meele 2 ----
Ranged 2 ----
Flying 1 ----

Meele 3 Ogre Brute Smash, Tough Armor
Flying 2 Dragon Abilities Devour , Fire Breath

Dang JokeMaster... our races are gunna be slightly similar :p I mean with the whole Necrolyte, Warlock and Ogre Magi thing. Though yours seems far more structured than mine.... I just hope I can make the game play of mine different to yours :vw_wtf:

Level 16
Dang JokeMaster... our races are gunna be slightly similar :p I mean with the whole Necrolyte, Warlock and Ogre Magi thing. Though yours seems far more structured than mine.... I just hope I can make the game play of mine different to yours :vw_wtf:

You know Storm Reavers and Twilight's Hammers were quite similar. But i'll use an old concept of economy wich will make our racecs complelty different in gameplay. Only the units can keep quite similar :D

Level 38
Well, since some of you guys posted details on your races...

Buildings:

Black Temple Town hall structure. Trains murloc toilers and can have up to 4 training grounds add-ons. Contains a custom pathing map and ubersplat to make it's functionality more obvious/easily usable.
Training Grounds Sort of a cross between zerg larva and terrain add-on buildings. Capable of training all non-hero units besides murloc toilers. Up to four may be attached to a Black Temple.

Beast Den Contains all the tech upgrades for most tier 1 units.
Tempest Sanctum Contains all the tech upgrades for blood elven units.
Coilskar Lair Contains all the tech upgrades for naga units.

Sewer Guardian A hydra chillin' in a spawning pool. Defensive structure with multi-shot.
Nether Focus Food structure. Looks like a pylon.
Den of Mortal Delights Item shop.
Altar of Lost Souls Hero Altar.

Kind of not happy with the last 3 structures, They seem really bland atm.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Units

Murloc Toiler (Worker) Uses mur'gul slave model with a custom skin patterned after the WoW Murloc Nightcrawlers.
Worker and builder unit, only thing really special about it is that it can turn invisible when not harvesting lumber (or gold?) for 20 seconds, enabling it to scout the map in early stages of the game.
  • Build Structure (Orc): Build a structure from the inside out. Untargetable while building.
  • Repair Structure: Repair a structure at a cost to resources
  • Harvest gold and Lumber: Harvest gold and lumber, peon style
  • Shadowstep: Turn invisible after 20 seconds of nonaggression .

Acid Beast (Basic Ranged) Uses Snap Dragon model.
Short-ranged attacker, functions something like a cross between a zergling and hydralisk. Their armor reduction ability causes each one to deal progressively more damage based on the number of acid beasts attacking the same target.
  • Toxic: Each attack removes armor for 10 seconds. Each stack lasts 10 seconds, so the more Acid Beasts are attacking the same unit the lower the minimum armor score a unit can have will increase.

Sparkwing (Light Air) Uses Couatl model.
Something like a cheap mutalisk. As attacks deal spell damage they ignore armor damage reduction, but this causes them to be less useful with acid beasts.
  • Surge: Uses chain lightning as a regular attack. Ignors armor.

Bonechewer Raider (Basic Melee) Uses chaos grunt and chaos raider model.
Basic melee unit. Weaker than standard grunts but may be upgraded to have a worg mount, which gives them increased movement speed and health. At the end-game they may be used as fire-fighters, quickly moving from location to location when naga reavers are more effective tanks.
  • Charge: Teleport to the target hostile unit and impose a mini-stun effect. Auto-cast.

Bonechewer Dreadmaster (Anti-Caster) Uses Chaos Orc Warlock model.
    Melee anti-caster unit. Storm Strike may be cast on units without any debuffs for the damage effect. As Storm Strike may only be cast against enemies astromancers must be used to dispel debuffs on friendly untis.
    • Spell Armor: 75% magic damage reduction and 25% piercing damage reduction
    • Thundershock: attacks burn 20 mana per hit.
    • Storm Strike : Dispels magic from the target hostile unit and deals 200 damage.

Illidari Heartseeker (Siege Unit) Uses high-elven archer model with my blood elf archer skin. Siegebreakers use the Shandris model with my blood-elven ranger skin.
    Long-ranged siege unit that can attack air units. May be upgraded to Siegebreakers for increased hit points and the phoenix talon and heat shatter abilities.
    • Velocity: Attacks deal more damage based on the distance to target.
    • Phoenix Talon: Attacks spawn flames at the point of impact, dealing additional damage. Causes attacks to deal aoe damage.
    • Heat Shatter : Flames become super-heated and reduce armor by 100%.

Illidari Astromancer (Spellcaster) Uses sorceress model with my blood-elven sorceress skin.
    Auto-attacks are similar to siege units in that they cover a wide radius. Spells acquired through upgrades allow the astromancer to become an effective healer and shield and dispel friendly units from spells.
    • Comet: Mini-flame strike effect that serves as regular attack.
    • Nova: Heals friendly units and damages hostile units in a reasonable aoe. Auto-cast.
    • Solar Shield: Removes harmful magical effects from the shielded unit and blocks up to 200 spell damage before expiring. Melee attackers will also become blinded for a short duration.

Illidari Spellsword (Stealth attacker) Uses warden model with my blood elven assassin skin.
    With fast movement and invisibility while moving to locations spellswords can opperate as effective scouts as well as shut down spellcasters with their 3-second silence applied to auto-attacks. Capable of flanking enemies and shutting down heroes when units are occupied by other forces.
    • Shadowstep: Turn invisible after 20 seconds of nonaggression.
    • Spellswords: Main-hand attacks burn 5 mana per second and silence targets for 3 seconds. Off-hand attacks slow attack rate and movement by 25%. Attacks alternate.

Coilskar Deepseer (Spellcaster) Uses Naga Siren model.
    Standard spellcaster with a full set of auto-cast abilities. Enlarge can make heroes look like unstoppable titans, but consumes a high amount of mana. Snake eyes allow a wide range of units to have their effectiveness increased. Suffocation hampers the effectiveness of hostile units.
    • Snake Eyes: Increases damage delt by 20%.
    • Suffocation: Debuff, still trying to figure out exactly what it will do.
    • Enlarge: Increases size, damage, and max health. Higher level units gain higher health and damage increases.

Koilskar Reaver (Heavy Melee) Uses Naga Myrmidon model with my naga skins.
    Heavy tank that can deal enough damage to still be targeted but can survive an incredible amount of punishment.
    • Arcing Slash: Attacks deal aoe damage.
    • Runic Plating: Grants resistant skin effect and reduces spell damage by an additional 30%.

Koilskar Predator (Air Support) Uses the Wind Rider model with my Naga Predator skin.
    The Windmaster effect does not stack with other predators. The Predator is more a flying kodo beast, meant to support and enhance troops and serve as a backbone to a force rather than a spammable auto-attacker.
    • Ruin: Attacks deal a bonus amount of irresistible damage equal to 2% of the target's maximum health.
    • Windmaster: Increases allies attack speed and reduces enemies attack speed.
    • Resistant Skin: considered a hero for spells and abilities with differing unit/hero effects.

Nethermancer (Int Hero) Uses Jaina model with my Blood Elf Enchantress skin.
    Heavily focused on slaying opponents and surviving themselves, Nethermancers are substantial heroes on their own but don't offer much aid to fellow troops, and will often put them in more danger.
    • Terror: Deals damage and heals the caster for an equal amount upon returning. Also inflicts fear.
    • Contagion Inflicts the target with a deadly disease. The effect is contagious and will spread to nearby units.
    • Gate Summons a pet succubus.
      • Flay: Succubi use life drain for their standard attack.
      • Seduce : Sleep with new art. Incapacitates target until they take damage. When used the succubus's "get a load of these" soundset is played.
      • Blind: Reduces movement speed and accuracy. Reduces ranged attack accuracy considerably more than melee accuracy. Effect is also applied to attackers of solar shielded units. When used by a succubus her "I'll scratch their eyes out" soundset is played.
    • Meteor Swarm: Bombards the target location with meteors. Meteors deal damage in an aoe and stun targets for a short duration. Meteors leave behind a burning creator that deals damage over time.
    *Succubi use the succubus model with my succubus skin.

Bowmaster (Agl Hero) Uses the Naga Sea Witch model with a custom skin I'm almost done with (you can check it out in my current projects album).
    Heavy damage hero, similar to the Nethermancer in play style but less involved.
    • Needle Spines: Fires a volley of freezing projectiles at the target location, dealing damage and snaring targets for a short duration. Targets also become chilled for a longer duration.
    • Petrify: Lengthy stun. Sets animation speed to 0, and causes air units to crash to the ground and take falling damage (has a 5% chance to kill them outright).
    • Hydra: Auto-cast arrow effect. Causes attacks to shatter upon impact, dealing percent weapon damage to all nearby targets. (Basically wide-range splash damage with a cool effect).
    • Spawn Broodlings: kills the target unit and spawns 3 broodlings. Cannot target heroes (or units with resistant skin) or creeps above level 6.
      • Spawning: Broodling attacks will cause struck units to spawn a broodling upon dying. Effect lasts 10 seconds.

Warlord (Str Hero) Uses the High Warlord Najentus model by Misha and skinned by me.
    Heavy focus on supporting troops and not dying. Can serve as a healer and is capable of absorbing damage for more fragile units, and shielding spell damage from a large number of units. With careful timing tidal shell may be used to shut down debilitating abilities.
    • Tidal Shell: Places the spell-shield buff on all units within the effect's radius, which will block the next negative spell or effect. Also restores health and mana each second it remains active.
    • Durance: Summons a circular wall of tentacles. Units within the center will be trapped, and the tentacles will attack any nearby hostile targets.
    • Enraging Aura: Increases attack speed and damage. Further increases attack speed and damage based on the lack of health effected units have.
    • Flood: Summons a globe of water at the target location. Units without flying or amphibious movement types passing through the globe will take damage over time and have their movement and attack speed slowed. Units within the globe take 80% reduced damage from ranged attackers.

Demon Hunter (Agl Hero) Uses the Evil Illidan model with a skin by Darkholme.
    Decent all-around hero. Shadow burn may be used to damage and kill units pursuing the demon hunter, allowing them to use hit and run tactics to great effect. Flame crash is sort of an inverted shockwave, as it deals more exponentially more damage with additional targets rather than a flat amount spread out among all units struck.
    • Flame Crash: Instant cast. Deals aoe damage to all targets within the area-of effect. Half of the damage dealt to each unit is in a small aoe centered on each unit. As damage splashes off of each target tightly packed units will take considerably more damage.
    • Shadow Burn: Immolation effect. Summons a path of fire at the demon hunter's feet that lasts for 7 seconds. The flames damage any hostile targets passing through them.
    • Martial Focus: Bash/Evasion combo.
    • Demon Form: Metamorphosis with a different name. Also grants a engineering upgrade effect that increases the effectiveness of flame crash, shadow burn, and martial focus.

I'm gonna have to read through a few GUI tutorials to get some of these abilities to be bug-free and work correctly, but I should be able to do so before the end of the contest.

• Anyways, that is what my race (Illidari) is looking like so far. Clearly I have nothing better to do with my time atm XD

Progress so far!
I added all units and buildings, now I need to edit icons, upgrades spells and so on!

Attachments

• Example.JPG
    Example.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 1,632
Level 8
Eldubs - It's not about winning.. it's about getting better and having fun :D

Ofcourse *cough* it is not about winning *cough*.
No, but jokes aside, a great deal of the fact that I have joined is because of winning, but that is not all. I believe it is too much to say that it is to enhance gameplay for wc3 players, because wc3 is slowly dying out, some people might have that reason, but not me.
My reason is to understand how many people that are interested in such contests and alike. This will give me a great deal of information if compared to sc2, so that I can estimate if more people will appreciate a wc3 map or a sc2 map.

If you don't understand, then let's just say that the main reason that I joined was to win.

Level 21
Only the models that break hive rules aren't allowed and just being on xgm isn't breaking any rules. If you use WoW model from xgm now that would be breaking rules.

Whats there to get away with? Models like any other. I am reading Hive rules and resource submission rules and I don't see anything against Xgm.

Level 8
186080-albums3726-picture40666.jpg

There ya go! A pic of my main dudes :) Only the nymph is missing, my basic worker unit. I have also started working on Hero#1 the River Druid.

On the right side are the three basic unit producers:

- Barracks/Garrison: Primary units, like tier 1 range, melee and basic siege.
- Temple: Spellcaster units, like the Adept (basic support/disrupt caster depending on day/night) and the Druid (still fixing hickups in the walk anim =S )
- Spirit Grove: Ancient units for late game utility. (Still needs to be modelled obviously..)

I'll add a list of ability concepts when I have more time.

Level 21
No WoW models or models riped from other games aren't allowed. That's why XGM isn't the first place to visit because it has bad reputation (plus its Russian). Other then that there is no written rule (if there is please show it). Besides xgm models were used in contests before and nobody cared. If I didn't say that I used xgm modes in my last race nobody would ever even notice.

Sage cow great ideas tho remember the size limit.

The_Swamp_Warrior I have no idea how to help. Best ask the model creator.

Level 21
Wolfe asked and he was told that if model doesn't have wow texture it is usable. Maybe best would be to just ask some mod and be done with it. We are quite spamming here. Suggest to avoid xgm till we have conclusive answer. In the mean time I'll try to make my first wip.

Level 21
attachment.php

K here is my first Wip. Its just units with temporary names (for example to many here are using necrolyte). I will later post abilities since some units still lack them...heroes are especially going slow duo to my hatred for them.

Attachments

• WIP1.PNG
    WIP1.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 242
Level 35
I have got to get back to working on my race...
Then again, there wasn't much left to do for mine lol, other than pondering... PONDERING WHAT THE NEXT STEP SHALL BE

So yea, I was originally thinking of making the Mage (which is my race's only caster unit) an offensive caster possibly with an anti-magic spell. As for my hero, it would be more offensive spells. So basically, this race is a very offensive one. I want to inspire players to be RELENTLESS with their attacks when using this race.

One thing I'm thinking of doing is putting down some tactical ideas in the Quests menu just to give a basic outline of some ways you could use the race more efficiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.