• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #10 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

techtree.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
0.png

results.png

4ALxuwM.jpg

Mythology
Contestants are to create a new race based on Mythology, be it Real Life (Such as Greek, Hindu, Egyptian, Celtic and so on.) or fictional (Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth and so on)

contest%20judging.png

First Impressions:

The building models are an odd mix. The building system though is extraordinary. Gold Dance should be on by default, I love it.

Criteria:

Theme: 9.5/10

I'm not sure it exactly communicates "British" folk takes exactly but it did immediately remind me of folktales and literature in general. The mushroom connections are brilliant.

Gameplay: 10/10

The spell set is well done! Twinkling Star is my favorite as it allows you to target enemy/foe and rewards skillful placement.

Balance: 9/10

There are a lot of buff related spells to manage. I add this under balance because it can be difficult for an enemy player to understand what is going on in a fight with so many. Hidden Lantern should not be permanent. The Owlman's AoE attack seems a little OP to me, a group of them can devastate. I have no way to detect invisible units other than with a hero. I am not sure every unit should have armor upgrades. I am wary of any building that behaves like a Fountain of Health (Magic Mushroom).

Creativity: 10/10

I have seen little of this before. It was nice to see the CR lumber system in use. Your heroes are original and well thought out. The Lantern Man is fun to play. You touched on items a little but it would have been nice to see completely custom items. I think it would be fitting if Enchanted Meadows left a small mushroom trail to the current harvesting tree.

Overall: 38.5/40

First Impressions:

You took the time to pick good building skins and models. The UI is nice, although the import didn't work out for the center right. Tengu and Katana Samurai are missing portraits. I like Seiryuu a great deal. The Bow Ashigaru has a 2 after it is upgraded.

Criteria:

Theme: 10/10

You nailed your chosen theme. The buildings and units mix well; the ability descriptions and icon choices are in line with the mythology.

Gameplay: 9/10

The units support each other well particularly the Yuki-onna. King Oni is quite fun to play with - he's a lethal combination of unit and target spells.

Balance: 8/10

I played against Human and Orc and it seemed like your units fell in between them in terms of median HP and DPS. Your heroes deal too much damage for a melee. One notable case is the Katana Samurai which has far too much HP. Overall this seems like a defensive race based on armor numbers.

Creativity: 8/10

There's a good deal of custom spells here but I would have preferred more connection to the Japanese mythology.

Overall: 35/40

First Impressions:

Please tell me how to play your race in the map description. Gold is not removed from the mine. The building system is beautiful.

Criteria:

Theme: 7/10

There is a connection to the lore in visuals but it is lacking in content.

Gameplay: 8/10

The Relics of Cthulhu building concept is quite fun. I needs to be fleshed out though as there should not be any unknown combination. The best suggestion I have is to simply increase the base stats of a unit that would otherwise be unknown - IE two Terror Relics makes the resulting unit have upgraded base abilities. You are also using three unit training systems. The slave system is cumbersome, and the normal training doesn't fit. I like the relic system.

Balance: 7/10

Not being able to expand before tier 3 is an enormous problem. Heroes are lacking support abilities. The Waveweaver deals too much damage via spells. The Flying Terror can instantly kill a unit which means I can make several of them and backdoor an opponent to kill their workers. You have some redundant units as well - Fanatic and Marauder.

Creativity: 7/10

It's a good start but you could have fleshed this out much more. The unit composition is missing roles and the tree seems more Faceless than anything else.

Overall: 29/40

First Impressions:

Building model choices are ok; the Shenu Quarters is out of place. The Scarab Lord, Khopesh Warrior, Seba Haunter, Kepher, and Voodooist feel Egyptian but the other unit models don't quite fit. The UI is nice.

Criteria:

I definitely feel that this is a Egyptian race but it is not as clear as it should be. It does not extend to unit abilities or custom items as it should.

Gameplay: 6/10

There is nothing too exciting about any of these units.

Balance: 7/10

I don't feel it is a complete race in terms of unit composition, and I'm not sure the Medjai having Chaos damage is a good decision. There is building for expansion defense. There is no way to detect invisibility. I have no counter to casters.

Creativity: 4/10

There's not much here besides some custom resources. The ability list is weak.

Overall: 24/40

First Impressions:

Why protect your map? Weirdwoood Priest and the Leaf don't have models. The unit composition is a little odd, but somewhat works.

Criteria:

You did alright here but there are some odd standouts like the Weapon Craftsman which should have used some sort of organic growths to augment allies or hurt enemies.

Gameplay: 5/10

There aren't many developed spells. This relies quite a lot of stock abilities with minor alterations.

Balance: 6/10

No invisibility detection. No structure for expansion defense. There is no mana or health regeneration? Why is the gold cost of units so high?

Creativity: 5/10

Sorely lacking in development. There was a lot more you could have done to develop your concept further.

Overall: 23/40

First Impressions:

I can see the connection to Naga buildings based on some Aztec mythology but I have a hard time buying lizard people. Gate to the Underworld doesn't have a disabled icon. The Market, Rack, and Armory models could have been custom. There are many Naga building models now.

Criteria:

Theme: 6/10

The mix between human and Naga units is odd. It doesn't quite work. The more significant issue though is that the abilities are vanilla. There's no connection at all to Aztec culture. Upgrades are stock as well.

Gameplay: 5/10

Because of the ability issue there isn't really a fun or creative way to use these units.

Balance: 6/10

Combat was ok, but some units like the Aztec Nightmare deal far too much damage for their cost and HP. I have no building to defend expansions. There are too many useless buildings. I have no counter to casters, or heavy air.

Creativity: 5/10

There's not a whole lot in terms of custom content here. The heroes are a collection of stock abilities, and the units are not any more developed. There aren't any custom items either.

Overall: 22/40

First Impressions:

I don't start with a worker capable of building. Villagers have wander. There is little indication of what to train, or how to do it - no matter what I did nothing happened. I checked it out in WE and there is hardly any new content. I am forgoing a rating as this is not an entry. The training system could be interesting.

Criteria:

Theme: -/10

Gameplay: -/10

Balance: -/10

Creativity: -/10

Overall: -/40

results.png
The calculations are as follows, in descending order:

Spellbound
(38,5/40) * 75 + (12/61) * 25 = 77,105
apcrabnightlive
(35/40) * 75 + (15/61) * 25 = 71,772
xYours Trulyx
(29/40) * 75 + (20/61) * 25 = 62,572
N41
(24/40) * 75 + ( 6/61) * 25 = 47,459
Marcos_M
(23/40) * 75 + ( 2/61) * 25 = 43,945
Astaroth Zion
(22/40) * 75 + ( 6/61) * 25 = 43,709
CLK Eclipse
(--/40) * 75 + ( 0/61) * 25 = ---​

winners-techtree-10-png.240314

Contest l Poll

Last edited:
Thanks for the notification, xYours Trulyx.

@Meatmuffin thank you :D

[gracious winner]
'Twas a very close competition. Well done to all those who participated, you are all very talented. Good luck on the next Contest.
[/gracious winner]

Y'all suck. I rule.
This is a joke don't lynch me you don't suck I love you all

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.