• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #11 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 37
user160036_pic59500_1342547064-png.241100

techtree.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
1.png

results.png

soasp-jpg.244969

Techo-Magic
Advanced technology meets magic! Reinterpret One of the Warcraft 2 or W3:TFT factions as though they would exist in a futuristic universe where magic and science exist side by side.

prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Remaining Entries: 5 reputation points

judges.png

contest%20judging.png

------
Theme: 10/10

This is one of the most thought out custom races I've seen. This reminds me of the Borg, which is good. You have used a system of unit generation that is actually three systems, to create the atmosphere of disposable automatons. Soul Cubes as a fuel for mechanical units provides an interesting avenue for worker units to become extremely useful beyond resource gathering. The Logging Station is wonderful - it reminds me of Creep Rebellion but this is more refined. I have no doubt you'll get the multiple unit bug worked out. You have a good eye for mixing Blizzard units and custom material - the uber splat fits perfectly.

------
Gameplay: 7/10

The multiple systems for unit management become cumbersome in a melee situation. There is a lot to manage. On that same note being able to re-use units is quite fun, the Bane Chariot is a clever and original way to use workers. Soul Battery is an effective alternative to blight.

The main issue is having more than one unit creation system. In my opinion the Fabricators should function the same as the Apex, it is demanding on a player to micro manage how many cubes go to a fabricator and how quickly (to determine if an advanced unit is made). Instead it should use ports like the Logging Station so that the more cubes are present the more advanced units become available. The same with the Spire - use the docking port system. I simply did not find Piloting or Soul Transferring as engaging or intuitive. The Annihilator is extremely fun; I would again use cubes though as in the Chariot. Deactivation should stay I believe as it provides a good combat incentive and another use for Cubes.

You've also created interesting unit spell compositions. The Dominator can take control of a unit and force the enemy player to kill it, then summon a unit from its corpse, or cause it to be slowed and less useful.

------
Balance: 9/10

I always play insane AI when I test these. I am an average RTS player so it's easy to tell if something is over powered because I will win more often. Despite several AoE damage spells and relative speed of production I found this to be well balanced. Normally this is not the case when there is such a drastic departure from the traditional unit training system - typically it results in extreme complexity or bad design. Switching to the port system for all buildings also allows enemy players a method to judge resource intake, unit production ability, and a way to disrupt those.

------
Creativity: 10/10

Blown away! Soul Projector is an idea I have not seen before, and is well done. Please develop this race further.

------
Overall: 36/40

------
Theme: 8/10

So future Goblins eh? What sort of crazy WoW plot is this where the glorious Horde have been outdone by these scum?

All of you model choices save the Market Post, Anti Air battery, and Heavy Assault Copter felt Goblin. They are a partial match because their texture palettes are similar.

My favorite unit is the Blitzer Tank, although I would leave off Tank. In general you had a lot of recycled Blizzard spells or simple edits of them. This is not in itself bad if it is accompanied by more developed spells or systems. The Potion Doc is fun, I enjoy multi role units.

------
Gameplay: 7/10

This race has no abnormal resource gathering or building techniques/systems so it is similar to Orc. A problem is in the unit role category because for the most part these are all standard unit types, i.e. the Mortar Trike is simply worse than the Blaster Tank in every way but cost. It should have some other redeeming factor such as an ability to jump long distances, or be amphibious. On the other side the they cost the same gold and the Blaster Tank does not deal much more damage or offer a great deal more armor. An example of where you went right was the Techno Tower, which produces three distinct units (Support Healer, AoE denial, DPS). The training center also produces a set of three distinct units, however they are quickly outclassed. Razor Edge is fun but it needs an effect as its bombing.

------
Balance: 8/10

I played against UD and Orc. Your basic three combat units get slaughtered. I quickly learned to avoid them for anything but creeping and move to higher tier units. Beyond that I did not notice any terrible issues. It should be said that balancing a race may take years of dedicated work. When Blizzard was still patching on the regular they were adjusting unit stats by tiny fractions. I think 500/22% AoE damage on Hit the Swith is too much.

------
Creativity: 6/10

There is not enough new material here. You've got a start on something good but right now too much of this is reliant on Blizzard spells and concepts. I would expect a great deal of the flavor of this race to be based in potions and chemicals. An example would be a lightning attack unit that relies on potions to maintain stability or he explodes into a ball of energy. Goblins have crazy looking architecture and units, but this flavor should also extend to spells and systems (upgrade for Sheep Processor that allows it to fire sheep at enemies).

------
Overall: 29/40

------
Theme: 6/10

The magic based units are clearly linked to some ancient dalaran/etc past. There's not enough of that flair though in the non-magic units. The building models are nearly entirely conventional.

------
Gameplay: 6/10

Not starting with a Dozer is am issue for game flow as I can't do much until I complete one. I like that the builder has a second purpose when in Engineer mode via support structures. At the same time the who dual worker unti system is cumbersome and I'm not sure it's necessary. Other than some unit combinations there isn't a great deal to draw me in.

------
Balance: 7/10

Pletontank 50/1 ratio is too good. Affective micro makes a group them devastating. I like units with a dual purpose and I think the Atomix is a good start. Units that kill themselves are a costly investment. I suppose it can be a last ditch effort but in this context Atom Blast would be better if it caused the Atomix to be reborn with a % Hp based on how many units were killed.

------
Creativity: 6/10

The Pletontank is a simple unit idea but the ability to counter nearly any unit type on command provides a compelling micro. Most of the spells are altered Blizzard material although you put them together in a convincing way. You've started to think about a full race here but it needs much more customization.

------
Overall: 25/40

------
Theme: 6/10

I am unclear on what exactly the design of the race is meant to be. Your custom models range from medieval (Battlemage) to modern (Battle Tank). What should have tied them together was some sort of similar sub system or similar spell sets. For the most part they are slightly altered Blizzard spells.

------
Gameplay: 5/10

Again there is no common outlet for ideas. There are a number of stacking upgrades that unlock abilities.

------
Balance: 6/10

Some unit such as the Skyship and Theia Titan deal too much damage. Chaos, as I have recently found, is almost never a good idea in melee. On a mobile tower that with 2000 HP and heavy armor it's incredibly good. The Prometheus Titan was a letdown as it has no abilities when first produced despite the tremendous cost, and once researched they are again standard abilities. Lay on Hands is ridiculous - 330 HP for 10 mana and no cooldown?

------
Creativity: 5/10

What you have here is a start of a race. You need to tie it all in together with a similar ability set across units. There isn't much here that is new.

------
Overall: 22/40

I had not seen much progress but decided to include it in the pack. It is clear you did not surpass initial planning. The railroad connections were interesting though. Perhaps you can work on it for a future contest. Clicking on a Cursed Workshop causes a CTD.

------
Overall: Rating Withheld

Retera: - Space Tauren

I will say this gave me a good laugh. Your naming was excellent. The Failed Science Experiment is particularly humorous. I love the beacon of milk.

------
Overall: Rating Withheld

Capture.PNG

TechTree11Winn.png

Contest | Poll

Level 16
Wow, second is a lot more than i hoped, as to the review i wanted to implement a system where the mechanicals would explode in certain circumstances but as everyone might see, my coding/triggering abilities are equal to 0. Maybe some finishing touch right now would be a way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.