• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Tauer's Models 2.0

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Yeah! Zul'jin for the Zul'win! :p

I'm loving the mesh so far Tauer. I think Deolrin and a few of the others have made most of the points I would've. I would say put a lot of love into that Scarf (perhaps a big flowing section that trails behind him, like the Paladin's cape on one side), since to me that's always been his hallmark.

Also, despite the coolness of those boots, I too think he should be barefoot; not only is it common, but it helps show off those sexy 2-toed feet of Da Trolls. :p Better balance, mirite?

Also, as has been stated, Straps are a must, but also a must for a texture, not the mesh; it's common in Blizzard models to let the texture define the details, rather than the mesh.

Looking forward to it! (also consider a Jungle Troll version for the skin when you finish) :p

Level 39
Yay, texture is done!

attachment.php

Kidding, of course. Just laying down the main colours and getting ready to do some shadin'. Yir.

Also scaled the feet down a bit (and as you can see, barefoot ;) ) and made his upper arms slighter thinner to give him a more slender, trollish look.
All the teal colored parts will be, you guessed it, team colored :D

I'm loving the mesh so far Tauer

Thanks!

perhaps a big flowing section that trails behind him, like the Paladin's cape on one side

Yep, already did that ;)

also consider a Jungle Troll version for the skin when you finish

Mayhaps. Although, Zul'jin is a forest troll, right?

LOL, yeah, you made your point clear! You're the artist here afterall, like any noteworthy artist, you must make what you like mostly.

True ;)
Still, accepting criticism (especially from people with more knowledge about it than me) is a good practice for when, or if, I ever want to get a job in the game industry. I just don't want anybody to think that I ignore their advice without any reason.
I really appreciate all the constructive criticism people are giving me :)

Attachments

• screen19.jpg
    screen19.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 834
Last edited:
Level 49

15gpgub.jpg

But honestly, I still think he looks too much like the generic Forest Troll. I hope you make his face old and warty-looking. Maybe make his nose a big fatter or something. And is that a dagger I spy to the right of the model? If he holds a dagger in his free hand I will literally love you forever. :D

...Oh, and if not a dagger, I think giving him some throwing spears on his back or something could be interesting. Just to give it some kind of variety. I think having 2-3 throwing spears on his back would make him different from the in-game trolls, too.

OH! And one more thing! Perhaps a few skulls tied to his waist\belt?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Tauer said:
Mayhaps. Although, Zul'jin is a forest troll, right?
Yes, but if you will make him in certain ways, with certain modifications... Well let's just say we Gurubashi will want to feel some of the love. Looked at without the lens of 'awexome retro Wc2-recreations', this will be an excellent basic/advanced Troll character. :p

Yay, texture is done!

attachment.php

Kidding, of course. Just laying down the main colours and getting ready to do some shadin'. Yir.

Also scaled the feet down a bit (and as you can see, barefoot ;) ) and made his upper arms slighter thinner to give him a more slender, trollish look.
~
Still, accepting criticism (especially from people with more knowledge about it than me) is a good practice for when, or if, I ever want to get a job in the game industry. I just don't want anybody to think that I ignore their advice without any reason.
I really appreciate all the constructive criticism people are giving me :)
Lookin' great so far! Something I was going to say earlier but fits now; I think the mesh is really quite well-done, and the least of your concerns. Rather, several users were complaining that he doesn't quite look "Trollish"; personally, I think the Trollish-ness is more in the animations (the hunch, the lithe-ness, etc) than in the mesh, so I'm waiting to see how those pan out. :p

15gpgub.jpg

But honestly, I still think he looks too much like the generic Forest Troll. I hope you make his face old and warty-looking. Maybe make his nose a big fatter or something. And is that a dagger I spy to the right of the model? If he holds a dagger in his free hand I will literally love you forever. :D

...Oh, and if not a dagger, I think giving him some throwing spears on his back or something could be interesting. Just to give it some kind of variety. I think having 2-3 throwing spears on his back would make him different from the in-game trolls, too.

I think Deolrin has the right of it here. Our biggest concern (as Troll-lovers & designers) is that EVERY SINGLE TROLL LOOKS THE SAME; no one can seem to come up with a new kind of animations. Even Blizzard themselves copy/pasted (Forest) Troll animations over the whole range... It's sad. As an example (and I hope no offense is taken, as I love the guy)... Poor guys' like PROXY couldn't really go very far, in the last Modelling Contest, because the existing animations were so lacking. Almost no Spell animations, very un-varied Attack & Stand... Etc.

Same is (partially) true for "nurnies", the little bits on the mesh; so far the only one I've seen to really exercise some crazy-creativity in Trolls is -Grendel (the Conjurer is a good example, as well as the Edgemaster); everyone else copy/pastes the Troll wards, or the Shadow Hunter mask, or whatever.

Anyway, so for me, I'm just looking forward to some of that here; since you're building this from scratch, you have a great opportunity to really flex those creative muscles. And we have the great opportunity to suck your creativity dry like vampiric leeches enjoy the flex. :p

Level 8
@Kyrib0: The Heart of the Storms Zul'jin (from screenshots) looked particularly amazing. I wanted the release of that model more than anything from that project, he also 'seemed' to have been melee, which is a nice take on Zul'jin, in my opinion. People overlook melee Trolls, not sure why.

Attachments

• zuljinmon.jpg
    zuljinmon.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 6,339

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
@Kyrbi0: The Heart of the Storms Zul'jin (from screenshots) looked particularly amazing. I wanted the release of that model more than anything from that project, he also 'seemed' to have been melee, which is a nice take on Zul'jin, in my opinion. People overlook melee Trolls, not sure why.
Dang, that's not too shabby.

Y'know, speaking of 'overlooking melee Trolls', it's funny... Designing a Troll race here, right? When people think 'Trolls', they think '(emphasis on) Ranged', right? Well that's what / thought, and what / attempted to design... But on a recent 'build' of the Trolls, I sat & counted up all the true "melee combat" units that each race can field, and realized that every race (aside from Orcs, and they are a legitimate exception) has merely 2 true "melee combat" units, and my Trolls had 3 (even 3.5, depending on sources).
So yeah, some people "over-overlook Melee Trolls". :p

//EDIT// If we're going to continue this, though, we should probably move it elsewhere; I fear we are beginning to delve too far afield from the topic-at-hand, which topic is TAUER'S PURE UNADULTERATED POWERTHIRST AWEXOMENESS.

Level 8
If we're going to continue this, though, we should probably move it elsewhere; I fear we are beginning to delve too far afield from the topic-at-hand, which topic is TAUER'S PURE UNADULTERATED POWERTHIRST AWEXOMENESS.

True story, Tauer is quite a spectacular modeler. I eagerly await his Zul'jin model. :)

Level 8
On a side note, I've recently started to construct a Forest Troll race using Ujimasa's (sp?) Troll buildings and this Zul'jin would complete that race. :3

Level 39
15gpgub.jpg

First off, skulls - awesome idea. Will add at some point. One can never get enough skulls.

Well, I think he looks generic right now due to lack of a proper skin. Pretty much every detail lies in the texture when dealing with low poly models.

That is actually a sword, I plan for it to be on his back and giving him an alternate animation set with melee animations ;)

The ranged animations will have throwing axes in each hand, like the normal trolls.

Lookin' great so far! Something I was going to say earlier but fits now; I think the mesh is really quite well-done, and the least of your concerns. Rather, several users were complaining that he doesn't quite look "Trollish"; personally, I think the Trollish-ness is more in the animations (the hunch, the lithe-ness, etc) than in the mesh, so I'm waiting to see how those pan out. :p

I completely agree with this, a lot of the trollish-ness lies in the hunched over animations. So yeah, the real challenge will actually be animating this dude.

@Kyrib0: The Heart of the Storms Zul'jin (from screenshots) looked particularly amazing. I wanted the release of that model more than anything from that project, he also 'seemed' to have been melee, which is a nice take on Zul'jin, in my opinion. People overlook melee Trolls, not sure why.

That does indeed look pretty cool. A shame the project was never finished. Didn't he promise to release all the resources here on the Hive though??

I'd like to see the face very loyal to the WC2 icon, he looks really cool.

That is definately the look I'm going for ;)

On a side note, I've recently started to construct a Forest Troll race using Ujimasa's (sp?) Troll buildings and this Zul'jin would complete that race. :3

Cool, would love to see it. I've yet to actually play a map that has any of my models.

Alright, started doing some basic shading around the face. Nothing majorly detailed yet, but you get the idea:

attachment.php

I'm trying to go for the WC2 icon look, later I will add more detail to make him look older and more rugged/ugly.

EDIT:
And the shading continues...

attachment.php

Attachments

• screen20.jpg
    screen20.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 857
  • screen21.jpg
    screen21.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,366
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
That does indeed look pretty cool. A shame the project was never finished. Didn't he promise to release all the resources here on the Hive though??
Yes, here and at Wc3C.net. However, the guy he had doing it (Ryuthedragon) was stymied by the existing Resource-Submission system here at the Hive. I am working on a part of that (the Wc3C-part, mainly, since it doesn't require anything but attaching to posts), but it's sort of on a hiatus (for a long time now...) because he's working with Sellenisko to finalize many of the models, make them truly 'release-able'. Eh.

Either way, I don't have that model in my copy of the files (turns out it's a partial list).

I want your permission to make it the feature of my WIP Forest Trolls map Tauer.. Hope you say yes :ogre_haosis:
Um... I'm not sure you understand... If he releases it publicly, anyone has automatic permission to use it; that's kinda the idea behind the whole thing. It's an implicit permission. You don't have to ask. :/

Level 8
I think you should do Broll Bearmantle next. A major Night Elf character whom is quite amazing. An added bear form would be absolutely awesome.

Level 39
Sorry guys, progress has been real slow (actually came to a complete stop) lately, simply been too busy to work on it.

Weekend now though, and I've been texturing a bit now :)

Have you ever considered making some Dwarven models, for example Dagran Thaurissan? Community lacks good Dwarven models, especially Dark Iron.

Hmm, I'm afraid I've never really been into dwarves at all actually.

I think you should do Broll Bearmantle next. A major Night Elf character whom is quite amazing. An added bear form would be absolutely awesome.

While I agree that there are not enough night elf models from lore, I don't think Broll should be counted as a major character tbh.. I'd rather make someone like Xavius or something ;)

btnzuljin-250823

http://wowpedia.org/Danath_Trollbane
Can you do a model of Danath Trollbane?

I think paladinjst is working on a Danath model.

As you can see, not a lot of progess (only just picked it up again today, too busy :( ), did some more work on his face and ears.

attachment.php

Attachments

• screen22.jpg
    screen22.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 540
Level 19
In the Wc2 icon he has red eyes. In this model, however, the hood is a little bit too stretched and close to his nose, compared to the icon.

HeroZuljinWC2.gif

Are you really criticizing the fact that the scarf is touching his nose instead of being 1/3" away from his nose?

It looks really good so far, and is true to the Wc2 style of Zul'jin. Also as reference if you need it, here's Zul'jin's model in Heroes of the storm.

Zul'jin_HotS.jpg

Level 39
The eyes are sort of the wrong color. Forest Trolls tend to have yellow eyes.

Good point...

But:

A bit of diversity won't hurt:)

In the Wc2 icon he has red eyes.

Basically this. There's the icon look + I'd like to think that forest trolls also have different shades of yellow for eye color, and orange is basically a darker shade of yellow, with some red in it. Did make his eyes a bit more yellow though, bit of a mix between normal WC3 forest trolls and the icon.

Are you really criticizing the fact that the scarf is touching his nose instead of being 1/3" away from his nose?

It looks really good so far, and is true to the Wc2 style of Zul'jin. Also as reference if you need it, here's Zul'jin's model in Heroes of the storm.

Zul'jin_HotS.jpg

Thanks mate :)

A bit more progress:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Finished the ears and did some work on his hair. Trying to give the hair a WC3 forest trolly look so far.
And no, the scarf is not done ;)

Attachments

• screen24.jpg
    screen24.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 579
  • screen23.jpg
    screen23.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 548
Trying to give the hair a WC3 forest trolly look so far.
It looks very warcraft-ish so far. Personally I would darken that TC part for the hair.
-------------
And no, the scarf is not done ;)
It's just a rough sketch so far:)
-------------
That necklace thing you gave him looks quite fitting for a troll chief.
-------------
That wooden shoulder armor on his arm could be a lil' bit broken at sides imo.

Level 39
Cool, but I think the texture quality is a bit lower than your standard. It also doesn't really look much like metal. I can't really explain it better than that, though...

It's not supposed to be metal, it's supposed to look like it's made from sharpened rocks.

That's the idea I get when I see the WC3 forest troll's axe anyway.

It's strange.. IMO the quality of the axes at least, is much better than the weapons for my previous characters. More WC3-like, that's for sure.

EDIT:

A WIP before I sleep. Did some work on his shoulderpad:

attachment.php

Attachments

• screen27.jpg
    screen27.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:
Level 18
good work , but there's a problem : the detail on the wood , i mean the cracks , seemed to be eye-catching for the generic . and u should reduce the counts of them .

and don't use too much black colors , especially on the scarf . cause the darken parts and shadows are not only 'made from black ' .

Last edited:
Level 10
Also, Tauer, I kinda think you left the Clan Grunts unfinished. If that was your intention then okay, if it wasn't then okay.

You kinda missed out one of the most primary Clans in the Warcraft Universe, the Frostwolf Clan.
It's not that I'm informing you just cause they are my favorite, but they are one of the well-known clans out there and they should get a clan grunt don't you think?

Level 25
Also, Tauer, I kinda think you left the Clan Grunts unfinished. If that was your intention then okay, if it wasn't then okay.

You kinda missed out one of the most primary Clans in the Warcraft Universe, the Frostwolf Clan.
It's not that I'm informing you just cause they are my favorite, but they are one of the well-known clans out there and they should get a clan grunt don't you think?

He made one. But I think it's rejected.