• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Tauer's Models 2.0

Level 39
Also, Tauer, I kinda think you left the Clan Grunts unfinished. If that was your intention then okay, if it wasn't then okay.

You kinda missed out one of the most primary Clans in the Warcraft Universe, the Frostwolf Clan.
It's not that I'm informing you just cause they are my favorite, but they are one of the well-known clans out there and they should get a clan grunt don't you think?

He made one. But I think it's rejected.

Actually I never finished it. I only did very little work on it.
It wasn't so much that I intended to leave it unfinished, I just got tired of it. I never really planned to make all of them anyway but yeah I wish I'd made the frostwolves.
Anyway, it's literally 5 years ago.

I doubt I'll go back to doing model edits, not now that I can actually make stuff from scratch.

The frostwolf grunt was the least impressive grunt of the collection, no offense to tauer, but it wasn't nearly as good as his other models.

Indeed, it sucked. I think that's why I never finished it.

Haha, I found a picture in my old thread:

55602d1243456802-tauers-models-progress.jpg

So bad..

Anyway, back to Zul'jin. Again, I've been a little too busy to work very much on him. I'm aware that it's going at a snails pace, but I just wanted to update once in a while to let you guys know that I'm not dead.

attachment.php

As you can see, not much progress. Made the bracers + base of his scarf.

Attachments

• screen28.jpg
    screen28.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,040
Level 39
Hey again guys, sorry for massive lack of progress. I'm trying to get some work done whenever I have time, but it's still going fairly slowly.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Did some more work on the scarf, should be done soon.

Hopefully I'll get him done before my finals, sometime next month. I have to start cramming soon though, which might make it even harder to find time to work. Not giving up though, it might not go as fast, but he's getting done.

EDIT:

Started on the torso:

attachment.php

EDIT 2:

Upper body is almost done. The skin is starting to take shape.

attachment.php

Attachments

• screen29.jpg
    screen29.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,003
  • screen30.jpg
    screen30.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,000
  • screen31.jpg
    screen31.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 901
  • screen32.jpg
    screen32.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 966
Last edited:
Level 39
Hey guys.

Since I'm currently waiting for a new version of WoW Model Viewer before I can continue with my machinima project, I decided to get to some modeling. I got inspired by Hardtime's Rise of The Horde project and felt an itch to make some orcs again x)
Sorry for the guys waiting for Zul'jin - I promise I'll finish him at some point.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Polycount - 714

First up is Grom. I got a lot of requests to make him in the past and the new WoD models of him looks so darn cool that I wanted to make a WoD style Grom. As you can see the model shape looks quite like his WoD counterpart. The skin will probaby look different though, as I like to use my own style for texturing - I'll try to make him fit into WC3 as much as possible. I'd like to go for a mix between the WoD and WC3 model looks.

After he is done I'd like to make a WoD style Durotan as well, with the wolf skin on his head, assuming that WMV hasn't been updated by then.

Attachments

• grom6.png
    grom6.png
    901.2 KB · Views: 536
  • grom5.png
    grom5.png
    1 MB · Views: 531
  • grom4.png
    grom4.png
    948.6 KB · Views: 681
Level 5
Hey guys.

Since I'm currently waiting for a new version of WoW Model Viewer before I can continue with my machinima project, I decided to get to some modeling. I got inspired by Hardtime's Rise of The Horde project and felt an itch to make some orcs again x)
Sorry for the guys waiting for Zul'jin - I promise I'll finish him at some point.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Polycount - 714

First up is Grom. I got a lot of requests to make him in the past and the new WoD models of him looks so darn cool that I wanted to make a WoD style Grom. As you can see the model shape looks quite like his WoD counterpart. The skin will probaby look different though, as I like to use my own style for texturing - I'll try to make him fit into WC3 as much as possible. I'd like to go for a mix between the WoD and WC3 model looks.

After he is done I'd like to make a WoD style Durotan as well, with the wolf skin on his head, assuming that WMV hasn't been updated by then.

For the Old Ones! Looking amazing! Saddly will be the green one but you should try a Iron Horde version too! Keep it up! :D

Level 39
Yay, texture time. Put on some base colors so you can get an idea of how he's gonna look.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Will you be making the other Warlords of Draenor?
Would look pretty cool..

I'd like to. Let's see what my schedule says ;P

pretty awesome ~ wish u could do Kagarth and Kilrogg when u finish hellscream

I'd like to do Kargath and Kilrogg. It would be very nostalgic since they were some of the first model edits I uploaded to this site.

Just tell me you won't put a ring in his nose :p

I won't put a ring in his nose ;)

looks pretty nice. However, I would like to see the quads to check to the geometry.

Btw, have you ever thought on using sculping & retopology? I've figured it's faster now-a-days to do modeling that way as far as you know how much detail, you'll actualy need.

Sure, here you go:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have actually considered sculpting base forms - but to be honest my sculpting is not that great. As it is right now, for Warcraft models at least, it's faster for me to use traditional modeling to make the model. I would like to get better at sculpting though.
I admit, I haven't actually tried it for WC3.

I've been watching you all day and your progress is fast, it's great! You are making a new Durotan right? And I heard you'll make Velen(not sure).

Yes, I would like to make a new Durotan. Velen is a possibility, I've never seen a proper model of him. Only edits of the normal eredar model, which I don't think fits very well.

Attachments

• gromwire2.PNG
    gromwire2.PNG
    57.6 KB · Views: 465
  • gromwire.PNG
    gromwire.PNG
    86 KB · Views: 504
  • grom8.png
    grom8.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 496
  • grom7.png
    grom7.png
    1,015.2 KB · Views: 483
Level 39
Yay! It looked nice! And can I edit some of your models to fit WoD, I need them brown. Also yeah, Velen...I wanted making one, but its just edit of his WoW(pre WoD) model lol. Good Luck!

Sure go ahead, I usually allow modification to all my models. As long as I get credit for the original work, I don't see the point in denying other people the possibility of creating a model they need using my work.

Will you make his jaw wholly tattooed or just partially as his WoD version?

Well...

attachment.php

:)

Some very early texture work on the face... something feels off. Can't really get the look I want. My texturing skills got a little rusty during my break it seems. Just need to get back into it, it'll come back to me.

Attachments

• grom9.png
    grom9.png
    848.1 KB · Views: 492
Level 39
dat wrinkles :p

:p

Also, which Warlords are you going to do? The main ones only? or the minor ones aswell?

Don't really know yet. Durotan.. Maybe Kargath. Ner'zhul. Depends on my mood ;)

Face is starting to take shape:

attachment.php

I'm trying out a new way to texture that makes it oh so fun. I use the software 3D Coat which is awesome for vertex painting. This way I actually paint on top of the model in 3D space instead of a 2D unwrap. Not only is it more fun, but easier to paint more accurate textures.

Attachments

• grom10.png
    grom10.png
    719.2 KB · Views: 493
Level 39
I hope you make all the Warlords :3
The list is quiet big though :-
Grom, Durotan, Kargath, Blackrock, Killrog, Ner'zhul, Gul'dan, Fenris, Azuka, Zaela..

Probably won't make the minor ones. Only big names I think. And I already made a Blackhand based on the concept art, not gonna make him. I really dislike his design in WoD.

Another WIP before I go to class.

attachment.php

Attachments

• grom11.png
    grom11.png
    740.9 KB · Views: 438
Level 39
Oh, you mean the walking furnace? xD

Haha xD

The new Blackhand isn't really that bad, it's just a bit over-the-top..
Also, I think the new Blackhand is only meant for Iron Horde? Or maybe not, I'm not sure..
Either way, great progress :D

Dunno, I just really hate that look, it doesn't capture Blackhand at all. At least not for me..

Hawt progress man...

Thank you :)

And the texturing continues. I really love this new way of texturing, it's great.

attachment.php

Attachments

• grom12.png
    grom12.png
    767.7 KB · Views: 437
Level 39
what do you mean new way of texturing?

He textures the model while the skin is already wrapped on it. Seems to be better and more efficient that wrapping it manually.

I basically just draw on top of the model in 3D space. Still have to unwrap though, this just makes it easier to make precise details on the texture.

*.* I want to Learn It

Try getting a trial of 3D coat and try it out ;) it's really fun!

Maybe add that goatee thing he had in WC3? The thing similar to Homer Simpson xD

You mean the tattoo? If so I already gave him that as you can see ;)

The hair looks byoutiful :3
Also, yeah, detail the face a bit more..:3

You think? Remember, it also has to blend in with the Warcraft style. It can't be too detailed.

Besides, it is an RTS. Whenever I upload WIP pictures here it will be from an angle that you would rarely see in an RTS. If you look at it like this:

attachment.php

the face already looks much better. And that's even too close for an RTS camera. Ingame the camera would be farther away, except for some cutscenes I guess. That's why RTS games get get away with using small texture sizes.

Did a little more shading on the face anyway :p

Attachments

• grom13.png
    grom13.png
    775.4 KB · Views: 403
you know this guide is good for picking up colors, you could use max render to texture to help you add emphasis on certain areas.

Guide

EDIT:
Oh oops, I mean this one: Character design Page 3 and 11 pretty much is the thing i want you to look at. In the case of wc3, the gradiante shouldn't be linear but more stepped so it keeps the cartoonish feeling.

The other one is better for sculping, but I'm leaving it as well.

Level 15
I am really sad to hear that you won't do Blackhand. He is the most badass warlord right now... =( At least I want to see Killrog then !