• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starting a New Project Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I think it's clear that Warcraft 3 will be getting quite a few updates throughout the PTR that could very well corrupt maps in the making so I wanted to ask before I really get back into map making again; Would starting a new project be worth it, either in 1.27 or current PTR 1.29?

My concerns are that if I start a new project in PTR 1.29 that an update might break it, but if I start it in 1.27 that it won't work with the newest update once it becomes the norm or that it would just feel generally out of date.

Level 11
I would not begin a project on a PTR as anything on a PTR is subject to change.

I accidentally did a ton of map editing on the PTR without realizing... now when I test ingame via the normal editor there are some glitches (models with water texture do not show for example).

Anybody has ideas to salvage all the work I've been doing? :'(

Unfortunately I did not do a changelog- and I do have many saved versions but my previous saved version for the not-ptr is quite old. I'm a mess.

Level 6
I accidentally did a ton of map editing on the PTR without realizing... now when I test ingame via the normal editor there are some glitches (models with water texture do not show for example).

Anybody has ideas to salvage all the work I've been doing? :'(

Unfortunately I did not do a changelog- and I do have many saved versions but my previous saved version for the not-ptr is quite old. I'm a mess.

Don't worry too much about it, I did the same. Kam is of course right, it wasn't the best idea, but I could not resist working with the new colors and the widescreen support.
I for my part will continue to work on the PTR and pray that it will still work on the final version.

What you can try is exporting the object & trigger data and import it with the old editor again. However you should try to eliminate any ptr features in these datas that you used.

Or you just risk it now to continue on the PTR since you already did a lot on it, that is what I will do. No risk no fun. The choice is yours.

Level 21
When 1.29 comes out for real I will update my own JNGP such that it would be able to use the new natives. There's a file somewhere that says which natives exist, so simply adding them there should prevent errors and that's all the updating I need. This means having 2 versions of WC3 installed - one that works with JNGP and one that is fully updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.