• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What would you put inside Warcraft III editor if you could?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A hypothetical question - what - What would you put inside Warcraft III editor if you could?
make a list - object data,triggers, functions, abilities, Sound options, terrain editing, palettes, tools, map data etc.

I made a list in the forum where they discuss the new PTR 1.29, but this here is not about the patch.

Level 19
I would put a virus in the program, to harvest all the personal details of all the warcraft players in the world

Then I will publish those findings in exchange for money from advertising agencies

or I'll black mail people with any other information I can find on their computer

[URL='https://www.hiveworkshop.com/members/deepstrasz.173274/' said:
deepstrasz[/URL]]
Then what is it about if not a new patch?

We already have these:
Warcraft 3 patch wish list
Producer Update: Natives List

I like the Wish List, but the editor is till limited as to what extends can be improved.
This thread is meant not to be limited in terms of game/map-making.
I repeat - this is hypothetical.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I like the Wish List, but the editor is till limited as to what extends can be improved.
This thread is meant not to be limited in terms of game/map-making.
I guess, you should be looking forward to StarCraft II's Galaxy Editor. Warcraft's won't reach that stage with this engine and I hope it doesn't become that complicated either without being some sort of side addon instead of a rehash of the editor.

ISL

ISL

Level 13
I guess, you should be looking forward to StarCraft II's Galaxy Editor. Warcraft's won't reach that stage with this engine and I hope it doesn't become that complicated either without being some sort of side addon instead of a rehash of the editor.
I only wish for Warcraft 3 to have 1) an HD Remaster (with damn shaders) which, at the same time, wouldn't make it look like a cheap indie game made with Unity, and 2) bigger player base and popularity, so you could host any kind of map without having to wait for an hour or two to gather enough people most of whom would eventually leave or disconnect after 5-20 minutes of gameplay. (sweet dreams)

Anyway, I think that a simple graphic enhancement wouldn't hurt too much. I liked how the models from WC3 looked with SC2 engine, but I'm more used to the good ol' World Editor.

Another thing that would be so nice is a possibility to implement some kind of data gathering into your map, or have Blizzard add global data bases for some of individual maps. This would also require a complete rework of the custom game system in Bnet. (sweet dreams are so sweet)
But as the result, it would allow users to save/load their progress without using any codes, have their own statistics like wins/loses or kills/deaths (and so on), and, finally, allow map developers to receive more gameplay data about their maps. (though only a few would actually put such thing to use)

Level 13
I'd like a way to preview a unit with specific buffs on certain attachment points, or to preview their attack launch point with a missile in the editor without wasting a minute to do push ups or something after pressing ctrl + F9.

Level 11
Is it must be in the Off topic place?

1. Online WE allowing to edit maps with a few people.
2. Allowing to choose a trigger from other triggers. For example you have Run <Trigger Name> and you have a lot of triggers. So I'd like a function what allows me to click at the "Run <trigger name>: and choose an option to go to this trigger to be run instead of constantly searching it in your trigger list.
3. Add functions that allows to detect extended parameters of units that are set in the object editor. For example detect XYZ of missle launching. (There is a way to detect with by creating a list but it's complicated)
4. Remove the freaking limits of movement speed to the hell.
5. Allow to paint various borders (ground, air, all, water) with a brush. (Extended terrain editor)
6. Allow to edit hotkeys of the main functions (commands, inventory hotkeys) in the game without bulls@$$t txt files.
7. Add an event that detects attack missle launch

1. Online WE allowing to edit maps with a few people.
This is an interesting idea, but I can't figuire out how can this be done.
Allowing to choose a trigger from other triggers. For example you have Run <Trigger Name> and you have a lot of triggers. So I'd like a function what allows me to click at the "Run <trigger name>: and choose an option to go to this trigger to be run instead of constantly searching it in your trigger list.
Can't you just copy the trigger?set the trigger to a variable?
7. Add an event that detects attack missle launch
This seems interesting. Why not use Unit Starts The effect Of An Ability? But yes, it's cool. +

Last edited:
Level 13
I would put Warcraft III itself.

The map editor's functionality should be accessible with some hotkey or something while the game is running. The whole "make a spreadsheet change" then recompile/resave the whole map and wait for it to reload is a huge waste of time for the map developer.
Say you want to "balance" a unit's attack speed, you could do some fancy math and stuff to figure the 'right' value for it, but you could also allow the developer to drag some slider/number while the unit is attacking and let them 'see and feel' their change in real time.
With such an immediate feedback, in my opinion, the productivity of a map developer would go through the roof and they would have 10x more fun compared to looking at a spreadsheet window and the loading screen half their time.
I don't know why Blizzard hasn't done this for SC2, maybe it's too hard. But then again, I think they've shown their WoW 'world editor' and it seemed much more 'lively' then WE/Sc2 Editor.

Level 14
Keeping it within the realm of the possible, but still rarely thought of:

1. A way to address and alter gameplay interface elements. Allow the Upkeep indicator to be used as a resource box

Honestly, that's the biggest issue with the worldeditor right now for me. Allowing even a little flexibility in this department would also allow for tons of creative ideas to be realized. Tying the Upkeep indicator directly to the Food ratio is such a duct tape solution that I can't even begin to describe how frustrating it feels. If Blizzard would allow the Upkeep indicator to be used as an additional Resource box, with icon and all, that would definitely feel great.

Additionally, I'd be pretty happy to see the option to use different Resource icons for the different races.

2. A way to address and alter gameplay constants

Right now there is no way to address and alter gameplay constants, for an obvious reason—they are *constants*, which means they are loaded with the map, which is probably hardcoded. Still, I hope there is a way to find a workaround this limitation, and allow map makers to alter some of them in game. Stuff such as Upkeep Food Levels or Hero Attributes—Defense Bonus per Agility Point.

3. Increase the list of options for Hero Attributes

I don't see why we shouldn't be able to allow Strength to give Mana Regeneration points, or Intelligence to increase the Speed of the Hero (or even better—the XP Acquisition Rate), or even have the Primary Attribute award additional bonus depending on the type of that attribute.

4. While we're on the topic—allow the creation of new Gameplay Constants/Interface variables of certain types

Want a new Hero Attribute? Done. Want a new attack type? A new unit type? A new defense type? I know the WorldEdit/Warcraft engine is old and most of those constants are hardcoded, but if possible, those will be more than "neat little additions" that just make the work easier for some of the map makers out there. Those would be game-changers. If such changes are to be implemented, they will prolong the game and increase the modding appeal of the game.

5. Allow changing the cliff types/water type

Now this might be outside of the realm of the possible, but having the ability to use 2 City Cliffs in a map, or a City Cliff and the Outland Cliff, or the Outland Cliff with water would be great. Keep in mind, I'm not suggesting having more than 2 cliffs per map, just changing the types of those cliffs. This could be implemented through "new" tilesets, for all I care, that are just combinations of existing cliffs.

Additionally, allowing to change the water type (e.g. Barrens using Northrend water, or Dalaran Ruins using Sunken Ruins one) would also be great. Taking the idea even further—a "white" version of the Outland water that can be recolored to fit the needs of the tileset would also feel great.

Status
Not open for further replies.