• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Poll: Would you prefer Wc3 Remastered or Wc4?

What would you prefer?

• Warcraft 3 Remastered

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Warcraft 4

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Warcraft 3 with a few updates

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hello everyone,

this is a question I asked myself many many many times, and even more often since the PTR 1.29 got released for publicity. If there is a topic about it, please delete mine, but I wasn't able to find one.

What is it that you really really desire?

1. Warcraft 3 Remastered - Better balance, more modding options, Battlenet 2.0, the wc3 assets from sc2, and maybe even more changes, but the game stays how it is in its base.

2. Warcraft 4 - A bit of a gamble, possibly a game of the year but probably not good enough for all of the nostalgy we have gathered over the years with Warcraft 3. This option would also probably lower the size of the wc3 community by a lot.

3. You don't need any of these? You are happy with Warcraft 3, and with some smaller changes for the world editor and against map hackers, you're satisfied? Then the third option is for you.

Speaking for myself, I would be excited with both, the first and the second option. I would be happy to see something new, something great, even though I don't believe it will happen. But if one of this options happen, it will be a much bigger boost to the Community as "just" a few updates. Even though the 1.29 update was really great and big, it would not be the same as a Remastered, and not even speaking about a Warcraft 4. That game is almost as wanted as Half Life 3. Whatever comes, I will accept any of those choices and I wish, that the Warcraft community shall never die.

I'm curious to listen to your opinions. What do you guys think? What should Blizzard do if they were to please only you?

Level 7
No War4.
And no remaster either; not like you've described it, anyways. Bnet 2.0 is a complete and total failure (see: SC2), and we really don't want the closed ecosystem to kill off War3.
The only improvement I could see would be an official hosting service much akin to MMH/ENT, without forbidding people to run their own hosting services along that.

Level 5
Wc4. Just imagine the hype, it would be monstrous. I've always hated that Blizzard considered WoW the spiritual successor of RTS Warcraft games.

Level 6
No War4.
And no remaster either; not like you've described it, anyways. Bnet 2.0 is a complete and total failure (see: SC2), and we really don't want the closed ecosystem to kill off War3.
The only improvement I could see would be an official hosting service much akin to MMH/ENT, without forbidding people to run their own hosting services along that.
Thanks for your opinion! What I described was just one possible way of doing it. This thread is more about: How should Blizzard furfill your dreams, so that means anything could be theoretically possible.

Remaster.

Because somehow I do not have faith in wc4 working out thanks to WoW... I am gladly wrong though.
I believe most of us would not have the faith, and with that in mind, wouldn't it be doomed to be "not how we want it" before we would have given it a chance anyways? Remaster is probably the safest bet.

Wc4. Just imagine the hype, it would be monstrous. I've always hated that Blizzard considered WoW the spiritual successor of RTS Warcraft games.
Yeah I do agree with you! Let's hope it does not stay that way forever.

Level 7
I mean fundamentally I firmly believe that it'd be for War3's best if Blizz would just leave it alone. War3's a healthy game with a healthy ecosystem, and the best thing you can do with those is always nothing.

To quote a wise BW player who posted on TL when they announced BW remaster:
[ .. ]

This is an excuse not to let go. Granted, they created the game, and its their property. I think the people who created the game learned after a while to let it go. A true master lets go of his work once it is completed, and by completed i don' t mean perfect. Imperfection becomes perfection when something is complete. This mentality nowadays of updating everything all the time, is not useful or important in the long run.

[ .. ]

Also, War4 would simply not work. Remember Skyrim Special Edition? Yeah, me neither. (It's dead bc it broke all the mods; there's some effort to port them over but yeah. The same, and likely worse would happen to a potential War4. And that's ignoring that it'd likely be a Bnet 2.0 stillbirth on top of all this.)

Level 5
I mean fundamentally I firmly believe that it'd be for War3's best if Blizz would just leave it alone. War3's a healthy game with a healthy ecosystem, and the best thing you can do with those is always nothing.

A healthy ecosystem? Have you visited Battle Net lately? This game has been on life support for a decade.

Also, War4 would simply not work. Remember Skyrim Special Edition? Yeah, me neither. (It's dead bc it broke all the mods; there's some effort to port them over but yeah. The same, and likely worse would happen to a potential War4. And that's ignoring that it'd likely be a Bnet 2.0 stillbirth on top of all this.)

Now that's just a flawed analogy, you're comparing a brand new sequel to a remaster. It's like saying The Elder Scrolls VI wouldn't work out because Skyrim Special Edition didn't "work out". Apples and oranges.

Level 5
I'm not familiar with Star Craft 2, but I play Diablo 3 a lot, and Battle Net 2.0 seems to work just fine.

Level 11
I voted for updates, but to be more accurate, I would like something between a remaster and simple updates. I'm ok with better balance, more modding options, Battlenet 2.0, but not SC2 assets. Firstly, it would look like a completely different game; I want to feel like I'm playing Warcraft III. Secondly, it would make all custom models totally outdated, and it would be really sad because there are a huge lot of awesome models out there.
I would be happy with an improvement of the textures resolution, better lighting and shadows, and stuff like that. And all suggestions in the Warcraft 3 patch wish list :p

Level 8
Why do people talk like blizzard remastering their models in Traggey's or Tauer's style would make their wc3 ''bad''... aka, not like original... and make old models '' useless''...
Sc2 remaster is optional and people with it can play with people who dont have it and viceversa...

Warcraft 3 remaster would be optional...

And sure, old models would look ''worse'' than new, but people still use tauer's models with old ones... and would use traggeys...
Also, most of ''old'' custom hive models are ''simple'' geomerges that could easily be recreated with new models as a base, with exception of some really good models like direfurys and stefanKs...

I worked on this as a model maker
Warcraft 3 - Reborn mod
And in my free time when i was bored from making ''wc3 hd '' models i was making new models in the same quality, but based on some old but good models based on general franks unit models... and i even recreated every Tauer's new ,model using Heroes of the storm and warlords of draenor assets...

Comes from a modeler who worked on the same mod , think this : If we leave graphics not updated cause old models will look outdated compared to them , then how will new great models appear? We will be stuck in 2002 if just say oh custom graphics will be outdated. And the thing is you know World Of Warcraft right? There is an option; use hd models: On-Off , it is simple as this.

Level 11
Why do people talk like blizzard remastering their models in Traggey's or Tauer's style would make their wc3 ''bad''... aka, not like original... and make old models '' useless''...
Tauer's and Traggey's models have a much better quality than regular WC3 models, but they fit well in Warcraft III style. If Blizzard updates models so they look like that, it will be fine, and I would probably love it. But if the remaster includes brand new models that have new meshes with a zillion polygons and very high definition textures, the difference will be too noticeable, there would be a huge gap between old and new versions. This would make the old models completely outdated, and that would be a shame.

However,
If we leave graphics not updated cause old models will look outdated compared to them , then how will new great models appear? We will be stuck in 2002 if just say oh custom graphics will be outdated.
YourArthas's got a point here. Also, it is likely that new nice graphics will attract new players, and give the game a second wind.

There should be a way to strike a happy medium here though. This is why I'm in favour of a light remaster, like I said before. I would pay good money for a full Tauer/Traggey/Murlocologist-quality retexturing and some other graphics tweaking, as long as it remains reasonable and fairly compatible with old custom models, and of course along with updates allowing new modding features and WE enhancements.

In my opinion, a good remaster doesn't have to be necessarily a full HD revamp. Look at Age of Empires remastered: nice modern graphics, but gameplay wasn't improved in any way, it's still stuck in the good old 1997 way, which is totally obsolete, and quite painful to play with. It seems to me that gameplay is much more important than graphics, even though I'd be happy with a light retexturing. So I'd rather go with an improvement of WE potential: with new features, modders will be able to create more and more awesome maps and campaigns.

Level 21
This is kind of what I meant too. Models and textures like the ones posted are awesome and that's the thing - they are here. We can make and use them.
But when it comes to some other things, like changing mana costs or cooldowns, we simply can't. It takes huge amounts of effort and even then it's still clunky. Thus why I'd always choose editor improvements over blizzard updating the art assets.

Level 8
It makes no sense for blizzard to remake the models in ultra high quality, like we did on reborn mod, because they would want a potentional remaster to be played by new audience (hence the new graphics/models) and also for people with low end PCs to be able to run wc3 remaster and potentionaly pay 20$ for it...

We did that, imo, because that's the only and best thing we can do, we are not proffesional modelers, we just took hots and wow assets and made new stuff from it, that's why it is so high in polycount...
Here's a footman that i made
29y2v5s.png
and traggey's fotman is just as good, while remaining low poly and fitting more with standard wc3 models

IMO remaster could take an aproach like traggey did and basicly use wc3 meshes, while improving them and fixing UV wrap and making new textures...
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/footman_wip_2-png.272224/

Or even maybe while doing all that up the polycount a bit like direfury did with his models
Templar Knight

That's why i don't understand why people don't want warcraft remastered... It would all be optional, and probably stay true to the original.
And also, i want editor improvements, new GUI trigger functions (i suck at jass ) and new QoL improvements but i don't see a reason why, someday, we could not have both... And the remaster would be optional...

Anyway, that's just my opinion :D

Oh and also, some engine FX improvements, like AO, or real time unit shadows would on their own make the game look better...

Level 7
If there were a War3 style (and there probably is), the linked Reborn mod's exactly perpendicular from it. Lol.

One of the defining features of the (current) War3 art style is the profound and complete lack of shadows, after all

Also, them World of Warcraft rips :^]

Status
Not open for further replies.