• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

@Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I tried this once and it got moved to the archives on the first day with no response.

Like Ive said. i prefer PM-ing people directly

@ Zombie: the oversimplification of the rules came about because no one likes reading a wall of text and the simplified version was put in place so that there is some sort of incentive(or lessening the threatening nature of the wall of text) with a hope that people will implement what hasnt been said by acting in civilised manner as well as some common sense.

OH DEAR GOD THE HIVE IS CORRUPT, RALLE HAS FALLEN TO THE DARK SIDE AND THE MODS WILL KILL US ALL.

its a site people, get a life.

Aside from that, you could gain a bit more ad revenue by being nicer to the users, and giving them a reason to come back aside from friends and threadspace.

Says the guy who has donated 2000 dollars to the site.
Also, why is everyone complaining? The site is not really that 'corrupt', maps are being rejected on a daily basis (That's both negative and positive) and the number of trolls&spammers in the forums hasn't increased that much. And oh please, mods sometimes act like assholes when a user gets on their nerves. That's just normal.

Level 24
Firstly, I obviously don't speak for the administration of the site directly, and as such the below isn't necessarily site policy. Obviously, I believe it should be.

If one more person bitches about the site being corrupt (in a public forum, without some reasonable measure of proof), they will face consequences. Shit is getting old.

Now, to the topic at hand:

Zombie said:
Compare a "not nice" to a commentary such as "you have violated rule <X> of the site by stating sentence <Y> in thread <Z>. Please refrain from violating rule <X> with actions such as <A>, <B> or <C." Imo, the latter does portray an aura of proper insight, professionalism and surveillance, leaving a smaller factor of bias or unsatisfaction to persist.

Here Zombie raises what the issue of the thread is. My issue lies not in the fact it would be too much effort to include this message, because it would be trivial to include this level of information. My concerns are twofold:
  1. It won't work. The kind of people who are having problems with understanding why they got negative reputation, will not be able conceptualize it any better if we quote rules directely. As an example, let's look at these rules: does quoting "Even though race and other personal details can be masked in this environment, do not post racist, sexist, or otherwise discriminatory messages. make the message so much clearer than saying "Don't be racist.", or even "Don't". It is my assumption that a user who is capable of/interested in change is also capable of realizing what they did wrong, or in exceptionally confusing cases, seeking clarification. Our rule on flaming links to Wikipedia. Is that really more clear than a message a moderator might leave?
  2. So much of what we do is up to moderator discretion, and dependent on factors that are difficult to lay down in a readable and understandable rule set. This is why moderators are selected. We need people moderating whom Ralle feels are capable of enforcing the rules in a reasonable manner. We don't have the man or will power to set up a judicial system as complex as you would see implemented in the physical world because let's face it: it matters less.

I feel the proper way to approach an occurrence of unclear messages would be to a) contact the moderator in question, and ask them (POLITELY) to explain their justification. If this then fails, you move to plan b) POST IN ADMIN CONTACT/PM AN ADMIN. If this fails after a week or so, PM me and I'll look into the status of your thread for you. Or ask someone else. Point it out to some staff in chat (via WHISPERS).

Zombie again said:
If you discussed a topic similar to this in ML, it obviously means the problem is existent.

Firstly, what happens in ML stays in ML. However given that it was already introduced, it was resolved to be a non-issue there, but something to keep an eye on. Moderators are encouraged to be helpful. But to speak directly to your logic, no that isn't true. Simply because certain users feel repressed doesn't mean they actually are.

for creating pointless threads that is an obvious troll.

wait -what?

Level 12
i too once experienced the ''non-description'' thing and got a -2 negrep. here is the whole thing:
N/A | 08-31-2010 03:28 PM | Joe-black-5 | Son... I am not amused.

as you can see, the description isnt really saying for what reason, yet, i am fully aware why I got it (post was deleted, too :D)

As for other stuff like that, this:

0 | Poking holes in sc2... | 09-12-2010 07:46 PM | The_Reborn_Devil | I approve of that ↓↓↓

was given after that. Although it isnt a negrep, it is still pointless.
So yeah. My conclusion? Most of the staff consists of douches. Good at their stuff, but still douches.
I admit that most of em are good in their sections (possibly not everyone), true, but appear to be bigger trolls (or failures at trolling, heh) than most people they 'punish' (i dont see how negrep is a punishment to be honest, id love some red gems saying that im in the forces of darkness, too :D maybe)

Level 12
You don't have to say;
you have violated a rule by flaming a user at this site by stating sentence "you sux ballz" in the thread "Arthas is better than Thrall". Please refrain from violating the rule of flaming with actions such as insulting, humiliating or harassing.
Just say;
dont flame
That's good enough for me.

Yes, but I've dealt with people on other sites (that don't work on a reputation system) were I hand out a warning, tell them to stop trolling or spaming, and 7/10 times the person comes back and troll/spams. From my experience on the opposite side of this, I find people that I clearly explain everything to only do something similar 2/10 times

And, you have to remember, being a moderator is like being a coach of a team. You aren't going to run around yelling at the kids because they did something wrong, you pull them aside, tell them what they did wrong and how to fix it.

Level 35
Yet again, I have to agree with Zombie!

i too once experienced the ''non-description'' thing and got a -2 negrep. here is the whole thing:
N/A | 08-31-2010 03:28 PM | Joe-black-5 | Son... I am not amused.

Hahahaha I have seen once long time ago neg rep given by moderator with following comment: ,,Lolwut"

(i dont see how negrep is a punishment to be honest, id love some red gems saying that im in the forces of darkness, too :D maybe)
I agree with you!

Yes, but I've dealt with people on other sites
Well that was ON OTHER SITES, like you said. I also did lot of things on other sites... But this site is specific.

And, you have to remember, being a moderator is like being a coach of a team. You aren't going to run around yelling at the kids because they did something wrong, you pull them aside, tell them what they did wrong and how to fix it.
Exactly on some point! I like that statement I agree with that.

Level 35
ChoovakPetri83, hehe, you want to play with colors?
On more serious note, this thread is about neg reps, how moderators give negative reputations to people and such... So you now risk to get one with that. Good start.
Well, thread is readable for itself, just go to first post, and read all.
Also I do not expect you to understand all of this cause your join ,,Join Date: Dec 2010"
therefore, you were not present when some of things happened.

EDIT: Moderator Kwah just cleared few posts, because they aren't relevant with topic, thats why it looks like double post now.
Pyramidhead's comment should stay because he warned that guy to not join conversatins if cannot follow it.
Anyway I will do it now:
People please, especially new ones who are registered recently! Do not come here and post irrelevant posts, especially like this: ,,What is going on here? Please someone tell me!".
Read whole thread before posting. If not, you risk to get neg repped, warned or your posts to get cleared like in this case!

Also do not play with colors here, especially in such serious threads when you do not know what is going around. Keep colors for Off-Topic or visitor messages or private messages!

Last edited:
People please, especially new ones who are registered recently! Do not come here and post irrelevant posts, especially like this: ,,What is going on here? Please someone tell me!".
Read whole thread before posting. If not, you risk to get neg repped, warned or your posts to get cleared like in this case!

@ChoovakPetri83: What did he just say?

@Coolty44: 'don't flame', how can someone not understand that? If they do it again, say 'don't flame or you'll be banned" or something like that.

(i dont see how negrep is a punishment to be honest, id love some red gems saying that im in the forces of darkness, too :D maybe)

Well, it suits the crime (as the degree of the crime was light). I mean, you can't arrest someone for swearing in a Wc3 website on the internet.

Well, admittedly I tend to not write comments/explanations while negrepping someone because often I have to delete the post where the offense occurred. This means the user can't see the post so they have ask me what exactly they did wrong. So generally I don't leave a comment because if the user cares enough they're going contact me, and in either situation (comment or no comment) I'm still going to have to end up explaining myself. Now, this isn't for all cases but I guess it's just become a habit of leaving blank comments so I'll try to work on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.