• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

@Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
When you guys punish someone in the form of dashing out negrep, could you please clarify which rule they exactly broke instead of leaving blank comments or saying "no", maybe "not nice"?

I won't bring examples but I've seen plenty of mods doing it. The point is, it was my understanding that you guys punish people so they can learn from their mistake, maybe understand the concept of a rule better, this may also leave less room for bias and subjective moderation.

So yeah, please clarify which rule is broken when it is broken, you could also add how it is broken and what not to do next time. Certainly more helpful and creates the illusion of a more professional judgment than what the current practice is.

Level 17
People will not learn if they do not know which rule they broke and they are given a clear and logical explanation.
Infact the person should have read the rules in the first place so they know what not to do.
Easy solution.
:goblin_sleep:

Level 26
sure thing brah, but only because zombie asked noicely
thumbsup.jpg

Level 35
no thanks.

Our rules aren't exactly a fully detailed legal system. Much is left up to admin/moderator discretion, and as such can't be directly cited. However, clear comments are encouraged.

How can someone avoid breaking a rule if moderation is subjective though? It was my understanding that rules exist to uphold a positive environment, not for moderators to be able to punish people. I mean, if a certain user breaks a rule, how can he avoid breaking it again without knowing what exactly he did?

I would give you 1 awesome answer that end all the answer.

OUR STAFF IS GOD DAMN LAZY PIG (NO OFFENSE, IS TRUE).

1280699491215.jpg

We're only lazy when something important comes up!

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
This isn't a matter of legal or illegal, it's about common courtesy. And common sense for that matter. Elaborating why the punishment was issued in the first place would save you the effort of elaborating it to a raging user spamming your profile, to some extent at the least. No cited rule should have to be implemented for such trivial matters.

Level 26
I dont know about the other people who posted, but i was being dead serious.
dead20srs.jpg

I dont always tell people the reason in neg rep, and when I dont tell them in VM either it's usually because i think whatever it was they got neg repped for was so stupidly obvious that it goes without saying. But Ill be sure to elaborate in all my neg reps from now on

Level 34
Why do I actually find myself agreeing with you? :|
Because:
1. its obvious
2. its true
3. its not nice
4. it is annoying

On a more serious note they are staff members. And instead of posting constructive or any ,,normal" comments, here in thread in SITE DISCUSSION, they are spamming thread with random idiotic pictures.
if a users did that thread would get closed/cleared and users who posted crap would get neg repped, warned or whatever punished.
But if staff members do that, its awesome then.
So, Zombie, if you want to note something to them, you will not have any effect on creating such threads. Better go to Ralle personally, and talk to him, if he sees your point valid, he will notice it to them all. And sure they will obey. But this thread will only cause spam, directly from staff members.
Now, rest of you, just keep posting crap, we are missing more pictures

Level 25
It is in the human nature to abuse the power they got. In this case moderator status.

I would.

But to be honest. Some moderators are lazy and unserious from time to time, but I myself would for sure get tired of giving out negrep to stupid people who just doesn't understand a shit what you say to them.

Most of the senior or well-known members around here can spam senseless and useless posts and images without any punishment. It is not the moderator-or-not status that controls that.

It is just the corrupted hierarchy system of the Hive we all know of.

Level 25
I am sure many users will behave just as immature as some mods sometimes does if they would have the moderator/senior user's safety.

People with "power" gets bored after a while, and they begin to fool around and play.
That is how it is.

And not all mods are immature and unserious. Some are though, for sure.

ok. to be honest, and only because its Zombie, who have brought up the topic, am i willing to elaborate.

we've had this almost identical discussion in the mod lobby about a week ago because we had a similar complaint.

now. it is not as bad as it seems. most of the time, the offence is explained, sometimes they are not because they are pretty obvious to the user. i dont know. maybe we think whatever we say is pretty self explanatory. i mean. "DONT DO IT" is pretty self explanatory if the person had the courtesy to think back on what they did recently.

or maybe sometimes we dont give a shit what we write because it is obvious who ever we are dishing out the neg rep to clearly does not give a shit about the rules. so the level of "give a shit" is mutual. and the whole process of explaining "why we dont flame, insult and troll other people" gets tideous after a certain number of times.

BUT
if you DO have any queries, people are welcome to go to the admin contact. we do have it for a reason you know. although i much prefer a PM. so in the end, it is the duty of people who are feeling like they've been wronged or just curious about their possible offence to seek us out. mods arent mindreaders. if you have a problem, speak about it directly. really. brooding over a negrep aint going to help you. and if you aint brooding about it, you prolly deserved it.

also. dont post things like this in the Site discussion. these things tend to keep on repeating same thing over and over again in the thread and we mods lose track of things and never really know what is going on. i mean. like i said, i've only bothered to comment because its zombie, because i know he is ex-mod and also a someone who doesnt make crappy threads.

Level 35
If you discussed a topic similar to this in ML, it obviously means the problem is existent.

As you said, moderators are not mind readers, thus how can they know specifically that the user understands what he did, even if it's self-explanatory and obvious? That is exactly why I requested an instant explanation once a moderator action is taken, so trouble and drama is saved and the user knows exactly what he did and what he should avoid. If someone has to ask back on why he was punished, it's already bad because that individual suspects the moderator being wrong and acting without proper surveillance.

Compare a "not nice" to a commentary such as "you have violated rule <X> of the site by stating sentence <Y> in thread <Z>. Please refrain from violating rule <X> with actions such as <A>, <B> or <C." Imo, the latter does portray an aura of proper insight, professionalism and surveillance, leaving a smaller factor of bias or unsatisfaction to persist.

Honestly, I dislike how the new rule set works. It relies too much on common sense, understanding and empathy, which is not the way it should work on the internet. Most people here can't see farther than themselves. In light of that, some cause harm simply to cause harm, but some others still can get victimized by the consequence of their behavior, be it directly being offended or a moderator wrongfully taking action, reliant on stereotypes which make him believe that the user punished was intending to do harm.

Even if as expressed before, our staff has no drive/time/reason to concern itself with every little issue in detail, why I proposed this amendment was exactly so that they can at least appear to be a properly working, professional team when it comes to dealing out punishments. There, I said it.

If you know which rule is violated, the other may not do so. If you know which rule is violated, what makes you unable to take about two minutes more of your time and comment on it properly?

Anyway, obviously for my idea to work, we would need a clearly defined set of rules. I realized that this thread will probably create nothing of value but anti-staff drama (even though the previous posts and "contributions" by certain staff members further deepen the need for the latter), which is why I requested a lock. It didn't get locked. Draw your conclusions.

Level 20
I lost count of how many people I +repped in this thread.

Gotta say, zombie has a god damn point.
Also punish people equally I'm sick of seeing some people get punished for name calling (silly ones, not like curses) while others get nothing but giggles for creating pointless threads that is an obvious troll.

I guess again, it's the 'cuz we can' crap. Bias?
PLEASE I APPEAL TO THE MODS (BETTER?) SIDE!

Or maybe you could negrep everyone in this thread for... 'insert reason here'?

Status
Not open for further replies.