• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Broken rep system fueled by drugs/satan/videogames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
The rep thing is getting out of hand here. Good example Ive received negative rep for a bump/news update(in the words of a mod a "double post") which is not discussed in the project recruitment section. Even if its a general forum rule the fact that an edited doesn't appear as a new post makes the updates nearly impossible to detect since no one checks a topic with no new posts. My suggestion is to create more defined rules or create a punishment/appeal system for the people who abuse neg rep if it is not solved in pms.

Level 15
The same person who probably will still give you negative rep for treating him like an idiot. Just because he doesn't know doesn't mean you can treat him like an idiot, unless of course you want to be a troll.

Death, the thing about rep is that it's just rep. It comes and goes and it doesn't really effect anything. Just try and do more positive things and get more positive rep. You can't really gain much from fighting the system. A lot of people have tried; none have succeeded

Level 31
First of all, we have a section stating all the rules of this site and it clearly indicate that you are not allowed to bump a pages in within 48 hours after your last post. If you accidentally double post, you should just use the delete function we provided to delete your post instead of leaving it that way.

The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site - FAQ

If the thread have been dead, probably 2 months without reply. You could revive it provided you give a good reason for it.

Also, we already have the appeal system currently available and have been posted by Archian. It indicate that you only could appeal after 2-4 months from the last neg rep provided you give a good reason and behave well.

Those thread which have been pinned up at the section is called side rules which only apply for the section. As for the link i provided above, that is the rules apply for all section at THW website.

Level 6
The same person who probably will still give you negative rep for treating him like an idiot. Just because he doesn't know doesn't mean you can treat him like an idiot, unless of course you want to be a troll.

Death, the thing about rep is that it's just rep. It comes and goes and it doesn't really effect anything. Just try and do more positive things and get more positive rep. You can't really gain much from fighting the system. A lot of people have tried; none have succeeded

Meh it was just me venting. The rep doesn't really bother me its more of the fact that people here take rep as the word of god.

Level 34
Meh it was just me venting. The rep doesn't really bother me its more of the fact that people here take rep as the word of god.
People complain about others taking rep too seriously, but I've never seen any evidence of this. It's kind of ironic actually.

Even if its a general forum rule the fact that an edited doesn't appear as a new post makes the updates nearly impossible to detect since no one checks a topic with no new posts.

Either

1) Wait at least 48 hours (24 if it's in WEHZ), then bump.
2) Copy and paste the contents of your previous post into a new post, add the updates to that post (HINT: use [hr]500[/hr]), and then delete your previous one.

Be sure to check if you can even delete your post, as some forums have that option disabled.

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
According to the site Rules, you can only bump after 48 hours of inactivity. We forgot to add, however, "unless otherwise stated in the respective forum's guidelines" - The World Editor Help Zone, for example, consents thread bumping within 24 hours of the last post (and I believe that's the only forum that changes the rule).

Level 6
People complain about others taking rep too seriously, but I've never seen any evidence of this. It's kind of ironic actually.

Ive seen a lot of threads with this account and one that I had for a good 1.5 years before this one where people are turned down for help because of low/neg rep. Some of the threads requesting help were stupid so yes I can see why no one would help. But others have required rep to get help and most threads made by people with low rep are totally ignored if they don't have enough rep to rep other users.
Just go to the requests forum or any forum asking for help. Whats more is even if I play the nice guy and do help out people I get posts deleted for handing out links to existing models. Its absolutely stupid.

Level 6
Now that I'm done bitching about it I want to discuss the system which I have been. In my opinion it needs an overhaul...which won't happen but hey its nice to mention it.

Level 27
That people can't stop talking about rep and making threads about it proves that we are all very educated about the rep system. We all know its flaws.

It is not at the top of the priority list.

Level 6
Suggestions for Rep Changes;
1. Give the people with 0 rep the ability to add 1/4th a point of rep.
2. Remove people with - reps ability to add rep.
3. Award people with 50 rep the ability to post in a high rep forum section.
4. Award people with 100 rep the ability to import a custom avatar.
5. Award people with 150+ rep the ability to bump posts 1 day sooner.
6. Limit people with -50 rep to one post a day.
7. Award people with 25 rep the ability to use smilies. :fp::grin:

This would be complicated to impliment and take a long time, but if some temp scripter gave some free time could be done.
Plus I would like to be able to earn something besides respect(means little to me because I respect myself enough for all)lol bighead.

But until then people with negative reps are people too(thereby getting at least some respect).

Oh well maybe someday.

Level 12
Suggestions for Rep Changes;
1. Give the people with 0 rep the ability to add 1/4th a point of rep.
2. Remove people with - reps ability to add rep.
3. Award people with 50 rep the ability to post in a high rep forum section.
4. Award people with 100 rep the ability to import a custom avatar.
5. Award people with 150+ rep the ability to bump posts 1 day sooner.
6. Limit people with -50 rep to one post a day.
7. Award people with 25 rep the ability to use smilies. :fp::grin:

This would be complicated to impliment and take a long time, but if some temp scripter gave some free time could be done.
Plus I would like to be able to earn something besides respect(means little to me because I respect myself enough for all)lol bighead.

But until then people with negative reps are people too(thereby getting at least some respect).

Oh well maybe someday.

People give out rep for the wrong reasons so often that this would not work. I don't even know why the system is even needed, besides to act as a doggy bone for good behavior, or productivity.

Level 34
What'll work for bumping:
The best way to bump without doubleposting is to create a post in it and then quickly delete your post so it wont look like doubleposting and your thread got it's 'activity' back.

What'll work for bumping:
The best way to bump without doubleposting is to create a post in it and then quickly delete your post so it wont look like doubleposting and your thread got it's 'activity' back.

Wrong, that just sorts the thread back to its last post date. Just simply delete your last post, copy what you have in it, paste into the new post and add a line that says UPDATE or something like that. It's bumping without double posting!

Level 14
You were saying? There really should be an option to just turn it off, especially for this site where the vast majority judge you based on it and everyone with the most has it for the wrong reasons.

Anyways, this topic has been beaten to a bloody pulp over the past few days, and the fact remains that nothing has really come out of these discussions. I'll probably put something in the admin forum about it, but otherwise I doubt bickering here will accomplish anything.

rep is kinda a guidline, not because they can rep you, but because they have atleast +1 rep, it means its not their fist time here, and theyve actually done something good. although ive helped ppls with - reps, if their post was done correctly/neatly Generally though anyone with 0 rep, and under 10 post usually isnt worth helping, in my opinion ofcourse.

Level 14
Alright, well I have a feeling that some things will be improving. There's been a call for the rep system to be updated and improved, so a few things have been done in order to make the system more useful.

• Reputation given to users is now capped at +4.
    This is to eliminate users from becoming too powerful in their voice and impact. Users shouldn't have the ability to give half a green-gem simply by posting a lot and having reputation parties. There is a 200 rep per power gained, which in itself should be sufficient. Anyone over 600 rep has enough of a voice anyways.
  • Reputation power is only gained from rep now.
    Previously, you could post 2500 times to gain a power in your reputation, this is no longer the case. Now posting has no impact on your reputation power. This is to cease promoting spam as a means to become more powerful in your reputation. If you are a strong enough asset to the website, you will earn that 200 reputation needed to get a stronger voice, so this shouldn't impact anyone negatively.
  • New users will start with a reputation power of 1.
    One of the largest problems with the current reputation system is that it promotes cyclic repping. Where someone with a lot of rep is repped and then reps back. Previous to this update, new users that ask for help and are answered had no voice in saying "Hey, this guy helped me, he deserves some rep!" With this change, they will finally be able to give back to those that help them.

I know you're thinking "But someone will make a bunch of new accounts and rep himself a lot!" This has also been given a lot of thought, and what's going to happen there is as follows: Ralle is currently spending his time working on a system to prevent users from making a bunch of accounts for this purpose. New user accounts will be closely monitored by the staff for the possibility of such abuse as well. Multi-accounting is still and always will be against the rules, and breaking it will result in severe punishment. (And a subsequent loss of rep)
All of these changes are being made so that the reputation system will transcend from a popularity contest into a more valuable means of determining a user's will to help and better the community, whatever that may entail.

Also, the staff will be more vigilant in stopping the misuse of reputation, so remember...
Please use rep responsibly. :)

Ralle asked me to post this as he worked on mechanical systems that would be beneficial to the site. That he doesn't have to post this means more of his time can be spent on other, more imperative, things.

Level 6
Good decision. I don't think this thread can contribute anything more. Does any mod want to close it just in case someone tried to stir up the metaphorical pot?

Status
Not open for further replies.