• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

So... will people still play WC3?

In the face of Starcraft II, will you remain faithful to WCIII?

• I'm staying with WCIII

Votes: 94 61.4%
  • I've already gotten SCII; goodbye WCIII

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • I'm thinking about gettign SCII, and will stop from WCIII if I get it.

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • I'm too poor to afford SCII, so I'm stuck with WCIII

Votes: 14 9.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
No, they dont.

It was indefinitely postponed, and the console section of Blizzard was closed (Which was the sole developer of ghost, as it was a *console game*), perhaps for good.

Starcraft ghost, or at least the game we know as Starcraft ghost, will never be released. If they do decide to bring it back, they will probably have to start from scratch.

Level 14
I personally don't really like SC but if the community dies in warcraft 3 i may end up playing it anyway.

The community will never die. Look at sc, people still play that.

Hell, people even still play Diablo 1.

The community won't die, it will just be greatly diminished.

Level 6
The community will never die. Look at sc, people still play that.

Hell, people even still play Diablo 1.

The community won't die, it will just be greatly diminished.

Actually, I played Diablo 1 a few months ago because my friends computer broke up and he only had old silly computer, so we played Diablo 1 and got addicted to it :D. Sometimes we come up with some german or polish girl :grin: .
So if even Diablo 1 is played yet, why not Warcraft 3? I think that Starcraft II WE flexibility won't be as good as Warcraft's, so I personally think that most of Map-Makers will remain with arthas ass in their CD rom. Oh wait. NoCd Patch. Sorry guys, forgot ;D.

Level 25
I think Warcraft III will be on the top at first, before all the GOOD custom maps comes out.

But maybe its good that SC2 comes out? :wink: I mean.. If all DOTA players, stays on wc3, then there won't be any who will host it on SC2 or the other way around.

If only 50% moves, it's still an improvement.

Level 6
Of course, the community probably won't die, till Warcraft 4 comes out that is and makes WC3 obsolete that is.

In terms of will SC2 make WC3 community smaller? Probably, depends on a few things. Whether or not people can import WC3 to SC2 is the main reason.

People will stay with WC3 because of:

1. Models

I mean, Starcraft's 2 models, aren't as "diverse" as Wacraft 3. Not to mention a third of SC2's unit models will be "mechanical" units(battle cruisers, etc) which don't make good hero units for a game like DotA for example.

Warcraft 3 has diverse units which makes things more "fun".

Also WC3 has hundreds of different (unit) models to use. Starcraft 2 will only have probably, a third of what WC3 has(due to the fact SC2 won't feature creeps, which is a large source for models).

2. If abilities in Warcraft 3 can be also be made in Starcraft 2 is also a factor.

3. Personally, UNLESS SC2 has ways of easily importing Warcraft 3's models, abilities, day and night phases/weather(one main thing lacking in SC2), terrain, I'll keep playing Warcraft 3. Blizzard said that wasn't possible(without editing the models) though didn't they?

Last edited:
Level 21
I mean, Starcraft's 2 models, aren't as "diverse" as Wacraft 3. Not to mention a third of SC2's unit models will be "mechanical" units(battle cruisers, etc) which don't make good hero units for a game like DotA for example.
Are you a blizzard employee?
Assuming sc2 will have 33% mechanical units, what's the problem? Only lack of imagination would withhold someone from making mechanical heroes.

Are you a blizzard employee or have you intensively played sc2 alpha releases?
Especially custom games will certainly not have any lack of "diverse" units.

Also WC3 has hundreds of different (unit) models to use. Starcraft 2 will only have probably, a third of what WC3 has(due to the fact SC2 won't feature creeps, which is a large source for models).
Race units only will probably be twice as many already, due to wc3 having a limitted amount of units. By carefully looking at the very few released screenshots, you should also notice a lot of non-melee units, and that information is only gathered from a dozen screenshots. Unless you work at blizzard, you don't have a fracking clue about this "lack of diversity in models".
To make a pretty easy example: warcraft 2 had, say, 10 non-melee "models". warcraft 3 suddenly had hundreds of creep units. It's not because starcraft 2 melee might not contain creep, that there will be a lack of models. In fact, I'm pretty positive this issue was adressed already and Karune ( I think ) has confirmed that blizzard will supply us with plenty models.

2. If abilities in Warcraft 3 can be also be made in Starcraft 2 is also a factor.
I'm confused... Is this an argument to say people will stay with wc3?

3. Personally, UNLESS SC2 has ways of easily importing Warcraft 3's models
No thanks. The effect of being able to do so would have the same effect as importing starcraft 1 sprites into warcraft 3.
abilities
why import wc3 abilities in sc2? If you need them, just remake them?

day and night phases/weather(one main thing lacking in SC2)
As far as I know, this is an included feature already.

I think I can safely say that sc2 owns wc3 big time on the graphical aspect, including the terrains, even when it's still in alpha stage.

Sorry for battering each argument of your post, but frankly, I'm right. This post sounds to me like made by an uninformed sc hater.

Level 10
Because the models in sc2 are not pixel block abominations walking around like in wc3, so it will be alot harder to create custom models

It'll be so much EASIER to create models for starcraft 2. The biggest problem with the warcraft modelling scene is the lack of support from modelling software when it comes to converting to .mdx ... I think it'll be more mod friendly this time round.

As far as the editor tools go, it's going to be everything the world editor is plus more... here are some of the SC2 editor facts blizzard has released.

I'm dropping war 3 totally the second I hear sc2 is out.

Level 6
Assuming sc2 will have 33% mechanical units, what's the problem? Only lack of imagination would withhold someone from making mechanical heroes.

Are you a blizzard employee or have you intensively played sc2 alpha releases?
Especially custom games will certainly not have any lack of "diverse" units.

Race units only will probably be twice as many already, due to wc3 having a limitted amount of units. By carefully looking at the very few released screenshots, you should also notice a lot of non-melee units, and that information is only gathered from a dozen screenshots. Unless you work at blizzard, you don't have a fracking clue about this "lack of diversity in models".
To make a pretty easy example: warcraft 2 had, say, 10 non-melee "models". warcraft 3 suddenly had hundreds of creep units. It's not because starcraft 2 melee might not contain creep, that there will be a lack of models. In fact, I'm pretty positive this issue was adressed already and Karune ( I think ) has confirmed that blizzard will supply us with plenty models.

I'm confused... Is this an argument to say people will stay with wc3?

No thanks. The effect of being able to do so would have the same effect as importing starcraft 1 sprites into warcraft 3.

why import wc3 abilities in sc2? If you need them, just remake them?

As far as I know, this is an included feature already.

I think I can safely say that sc2 owns wc3 big time on the graphical aspect, including the terrains, even when it's still in alpha stage.

Sorry for battering each argument of your post, but frankly, I'm right. This post sounds to me like made by an uninformed sc hater.

1. I am not a Starcraft hater.

2. I was making that post in response to the question of the topic which was "Will people still play Warcraft 3 after Starcraft 2 is released"?

That post said I replied I will probably will still play Warcraft 3 even after Starcraft 2 is released UNLESS Starcraft 2 has ways of importing Warcraft 3 spells and abilities and stuff, so I posted if I can somehow "import" a map I made on Warcraft 3 to Starcraft 2, then I'd stop playing Warcraft 3.

Since Blizzard said the SC2 engine is not the same as WC3 engine, and they posted that directly in response to will "porting" Warcraft 3 models to Starcraft 2 possible, I posted that I will probably still play Warcraft 3.

Note what I said in my post:
People will stay with WC3 because of:
(BTW, I meant "stay with WC3" as in "Still play", sorry for that, I was writing the post fast).

I said that in response to "Will people still play Warcraft 3 after Starcraft 2 is released".
I said yes, this is one of the examples I used:
1. Models

Also WC3 has hundreds of different (unit) models to use. Starcraft 2 will only have probably, a third of what WC3 has(due to the fac

Also, I was NEVER BASHING Starcraft 2 or bashing their models. Though it's my fault(no sarcasm) for using the word "diverse" alone, the word was the wrong word to use in my post(I was writing up the post quickly so I didn't use the right words, apologize for not making my post clear. Again no sarcasm).

When I said diverse, I meant that Warcraft 3 has a "diverse(variety of) themed" units, for example:
1. There are orcs, humans, night elfs, undead, we all know those.

2. There Creeps, which make up a lot of "themed" units like insects, animals, etc. There are units like Naga, "element" units like Phoenix, Water Elemental, etc.

3. Mechanical units like Siege Engine, Structures , etc.

4. They also have some "space themed" units like the Starcraft marines, Hydralisk, and Zerglings.

As you can see, I posted that in response to "Will people still play Warcraft 3".

I say yes because Warcraft 3 has more "diverse themed" units for players to make maps based on.

Anyway, I do not hate Starcraft, I can't wait till Star craft 2 comes out since I do like Starcraft and actually prefer Starcraft's story over Warcraft's story.

Even though Starcraft 2 has a more powerful map editor and stuff, I'll probably still play Warcraft 3 and still probably make maps for Warcraft 3 too(as well as Starcraft 2) since Warcraft 3 has a variety of themed units, plus the day/night system, plus weather system which has a lot of maps that you can make it off of (Dark Deeds is an example of a map that makes good use of day/night and weather system that Warcraft 3 has).

I said my post in response to the question "Will people still play WC3", and I said yes. Sorry for not making my post clear, I wrote it up quick when I posted it.

Level 8
Warcraft III will never die... With this game Blizzard scored a lot...
They know that there are fanatics in the world (like me) who play Warcraft III all the time...
SCII is good... but I Hate new era strategies... Warcraft III rocks...

Level 13
yea thats right... i know a lots people like you that like wc3 and hate sc....i love both ... so i will play sometimes sc2 and sometimes wc3 and not only dota i will also play other good map.... And when there is nothing to play to kill the boredom i will map make

Level 13
yea thats right... i know a lots people like you that like wc3 and hate sc....i love both ... so i will play sometimes sc2 and sometimes wc3 and not only dota i will also play other good map.... And when there is nothing to play to kill the boredom i will map make

So, you play sc2 sometimes eh ? Wow, Blizzard must love and or trust you...

Level 12
yea but i dont have last test version:/ i have sc2 only without zergs....its not normal when there are not zergs....

ah i love it when I smell bullshit in the air ^.^

no you don't lol, no one does, no way in hell they would just give someone a version =P

Anyway... I'll play it a lot, until I get tired of it ^.^

Level 12
Mhm....
I think i'll go... mod sc2 too... but only if it has an better editor than wc3...
And i prefere medieval stuff...

Well i like having the choice between both.
(frustrated of wc3 editor limitations)
Actually i like having everything. Thats why i like making maps, and creating everything i want in them. Warcraft 3 is my favorite game Because it actually allows me to do so in great way. (even though its limited, again.)
Then, to answer the topic, the instant a better editor comes out,
ALL MY TIME ARE BELONG TO IT:grin:!

Level 7
I don't think WC3 will die so fast. Untill SC2 has a decent database of resources (Models especially). The theme switching? Got nothing against it. Space maps in wc3 fascinated me (I'm working on one myself; Space and it's imensity overwhelms me... or not) and the new features of SC2 editor are tempting me. I'm probably going to port as much as I can from WC3 to SC2 (Such as remaking the map) and trying to convince people to buy it so we play :D. I'd go off for some time to check sc2 and then back to wc3. I don't think wc3 will die, at least not in the first 3-4 years. :p (Still... I feel sad.. seeing an empty bnet.. or thinking that my map would be released too late) D:

Level 4
Just like starcraft killed off warcraft II and warcraft III killed off starcraft, Starcraft 2 will definitely Kill off wracraft III, but who knows maybe there will be a warcraft IV to kill off starcraft 2.

Level 7
Just like starcraft killed off warcraft II and warcraft III killed off starcraft, Starcraft 2 will definitely Kill off wracraft III, but who knows maybe there will be a warcraft IV to kill off starcraft 2.

Like Nitchita said it will take awhile before WC3 dies off, years at the least and then there will allways be people who prefer fantasy over sci-fi, and wow keeps wc3 alive and kicking as people who love wow (and theres ALOT of them) see wc3 and are tempted to buy it even tho they wouldnt normaly be interested in RTS.

Also SC2 is gunna be harder to mod as it the models will be way more complex probabaly using multiple textures and shaders so it will need a much more talaented modelers to edit. It will be awhile before SC2 moding realy takes off.

Level 21
True.
We can keep Wc3 alive by modding harder. We should keep Hive alive and entertain other Wc3 communities.
THW, Wc3C and Epic War are the most important in my opinion.
But a little bit less activity on Epic War could speed up the internet, tough. I mean...Every day i see a lot more maps there... Shure, most of them are made only to exist, but there are quite many...

Level 22
Lolz go to Garena >> War3 RPG >> and look - Europe Channels 1 thru 37 full (each channel has max 225 players), the Swarm of Dota freaks is dominating :D

I haven't played dota since 1 year ago and I was the 2nd best when I made an -ar game today ;/ tc tc tc tc @ doters

Level 9
People say that blizzard is working on a world of starcraft because they are hiring for "An unknown MMO"

Status
Not open for further replies.