1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Signatures

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Karawasa, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Ham Ham

Ham Ham

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Signatures are okay as they are. No need to modify.

Seriously, can you give me one f*cking good enough reason to increase the signature size limit?

2. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk

Resources:
    Resources:
    To allow the usage of more vertically demanding table structures, pictures, and subsequently just having more information in the space.
    Again, that they are "okay as they are" does not preclude them from improvement.
    I've yet to see one good reason why it is as you say, 'retarded.'
    It's ironic that you mention that at the Hive of all websites. Given the opportunity to disable signatures, sure, I'd do it. But let's face it, if you can't give a good reason to get rid of avatars or customizable profiles or friends lists, you can't possibly expect to get rid of signatures. I think having them be earned is a brilliant solution, because it limits their usage to people who might actually have links to their widely used resources or some such; links to things that people might need to click more than once. Furthermore, there's nothing wrong with advertising what maps you're making, or did you forget, like the hundreds of other "active users" at this website, that this place supposedly markets itself as a modding community?
    The same reason that we have customizable profiles, user groups, avatars, reputation gems, and site styles other than the most basic. They look pretty.

3. viiva

viiva

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    We should totally go back to that commie layout.

4. -Berz-

-Berz-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Doh, resize that image of yours... And be happy that you can have one...

I like to see a nice signature around, but that doesn't meant that its size should be larger than it is now.

5. Eleandor

Eleandor

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oh, but I never claimed that only the hive's signatures annoy me. I know only one forum where the people actually keep their signatures of a reasonable size of about 3 lines of text. And for sure it's a more mature one than this one. Most of the other forums are probably even worse than this one. I think the last time I was on the helper.net some signatures took up my whole screen.

Do you have to do that at every post you make on this forum? Seriously, your rules state advertising in posts is not allowed, but signatures can have it? I mean: wtf is the difference? Other than putting it in your sig is just way easier?

This *place* you're speaking of happens to have an entire "maps" section as well as a whole "Map development" subforum. If that's not enough for you, then maybe "off-topic" and "diablo 3" and "WoW" subforums don't belong here either?

Well, I'm sure you can guess my opinion on those? Even though I couldn't care less about avatars, at least they don't make your posts longer because they use empty space on the left of your post. Wait, maybe we should increase avatar size to - say - 256 * 256? Maybe larger, yay!

6. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk

Resources:
    Resources:
    You should read the rules first before referencing them incorrectly. In case you were wondering, advertising WC3 maps is related to WC3.
    I'm fairly sure you misunderstood the intent of the text you quoted. The site is obviously a WC3 modding site, but many of the active members here treat it as MySpace #2 instead. What I said was directly referring to that common mistreatment of the site by its members.

7. Eleandor

Eleandor

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, whatever. I'm still very strong about my opinion. But hey, resize it as much as you want, I couldn't care less about it now that I've gotten them disabled.

8. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Eleandor, go fishing. I can't believe that signatures stress you out that badly.

9. Karawasa

Karawasa

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's a peculiar experience you had, given that only moderators and above are allowed signatures there.

He is shitting too many bricks, and would end up sinking the boat.

10. Eleandor

Eleandor

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, it's been a looong time since my last visit there.

I guess I won't bother replying to your second statement, I'd probably lower myself to a level where you have more experience.

11. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Anyways, please refrain from the silly incendiary remarks all of you, they help no one and only hurt the readability and primary discussion of the topic.

12. Pyritie

Pyritie

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    jesus fucking christ people it's a damn signature

and no I won't make a greasemonkey script for it. Go make your own.

[​IMG]

Although I agree that sigs should have a max-height instead of a fixed height.

13. Karawasa

Karawasa

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's not an incendiary statement. You should look up the definition of the phrase first before commenting. Here, I'll do it for you;

That's a real flame isn't it?

See above. Sadly, I don't see the serious discussion that you do. It boils down to you bringing up valid points which no one bothers to really refute (with an exception here or there), and people saying "it's fine who cares."

14. Steel_Stallion

Steel_Stallion

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wow.

You people are getting way too serious over something as insignificant as signatures. Some users use them as useful links to their resources, some users use them meaninglessly to diversify themselves from other users. And signature image sizes are fine the way they are. Karawasa, you seem to be the only one troubled by the image sizes. No one really cares, lol.

15. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Here are some other things that are 'insignificant': reputation, the icon next to your name for banned users, and the site style. Guess what? All of those things get discussed regularly on the basis of aesthetics. Do you know what that makes them to people who like sites looking pretty? Significant.
    Saying something benign in a way so that its connotation is just as negative as that of name-calling is in essence as bad as name-calling. Either way, though, enough.

Anyways, with the capacity for users to hide signatures in their profile, there remains even less of a reason to not increase the maximum signature size by roughly 10%.

16. Kaitech[SanD]

Kaitech[SanD]

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wasn't this whole topic just stating that somewhere or another it claims you're allowed so many pixels, but in the end some of them get butchered off? I made an inquiry about that before when I actually gave a damn what filled the space between my post and the next guy.

But earning signatures is an excellent idea... 100 or 150 rep to have a signature sounds fair o_O Or at least earning the rights to have them by showing you're a good member... Which at that point you should have a decent amount of rep anywho so...

People with avatars manage to stretch their post to about 10 to 15 lines so...

17. Steel_Stallion

Steel_Stallion

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    See, you're just being aggressive towards other people for some reason. What's the point in quoting me and attacking something that doesn't really help the issue at hand in any way? You need to take a chill pill and relax. People like these aesthetics because we don't care about your "privilege" and "earn the right" bullshit, we like shiny colors and flashy signatures and most of the site is damn satisfied with them currently AFAIK.

18. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Because you set up a straw man that the point I was making was insignificant and therefore should not be considered. Furthermore, you are currently employing an ad hominem argument to make the way I post appear as an attack upon you in order to discredit my stance on the matter.
    Of course they are, but appealing to popularity does not make the conclusion that they could be improved false.

Now please, don't be so angry or frustrated, if you have a serious argument in opposition to my suggestion, I'm more than welcome to hear it.

19. Karawasa

Karawasa

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Rising_Dusk: You're wasting your time. I came to this conclusion a bit ago, hence my blatant disregard for this thread that I started. At least we have a place where logic comes first (Wc3C). I appreciate your valiant effort in this thread, but you're against unspeakable odds (odds is an euphemism).

20. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk

Resources:
    Resources:
    I love WC3C and it's my home and all, but I wouldn't be posting here if I didn't feel that I could seriously improve the website. I need only for the people in charge to listen to me and for the others that aren't to understand me.