• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Scariest Game Moments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
What are the scariest moments of a game that you have experienced?
I would say mine would be The Cradle in Thief Deadly Shadows, The Hotel in Vampire: Bloodlines The Masquerade or the first quarter of FEAR, before I realized that that chick isnt actually going to do anything...

Oh and also those Ghouls from Dark Messiah, or at least in that bit where you dont have weapons and have to run away from them, I hate they way they move, all gollumey!

CLARIFICATION!
PLEASE DO NOT CITE A WHOLE GAME, BUT A SPECIFIC PORTION OF ONE!

Last edited:
Level 9
Well I can't really say a games ever really scared me. FEAR did give an amazing ambiance but wasn't scary if you had the correct mind set.

I do get jumpy on games though. specially on shooters. I play this one shooter with the volume pretty high. The game has no background noise so if no one is shooting or walking near you u hear nothing. When they shoot you from behind or appear out of no where i jump pretty bad lol.

Level 34
Alone in the Dark: New Nightmare.

I found it very scary when I was 12 y/o, but not anymore.

Silent Hill is also scary wary :c

And some Resident Evils.

And Alma.

And the part that says that Becket impregnanted her accidently, getting permanently(, mentally) locked with her in a room and you could hear her unborn child say ''mommy''.

Level 27
I dont rly play scary games.

But one time in L4D i had a crazy part man, a boomer puked over me and as soon when i could see a bit true the green slime again i looked through the hallway and i saw a whole pack of infected running to me with immense speed .. seriously they were like a wall of infected lol but it only made me think ''Oh crap, im so dead''.

Level 34
I remember playing AvP2 in the dark. The hallways that blinked were always scary, with the aliens running all over the walls and ceilings, and the radar beeps betting closer and closer.

Level 4
playing Dead Space at night...volume up...dark and silent room...alone...hardest difficulty...nothing in the world is scarier than this...seriously... :/

Em!

Em!

Level 25
Phantasmagoria....everything else is a childrens bed time story compared, the first being extremely creepy while the puzzle of flesh was just plain disturbing.

Edit: Clive Barkers undying was also pretty creepy but like i said nothing that matches phantasmagoria

Level 19
I scare of Silent Hill
mostly when Im stuck on somewhere that I cant find what to do, my imagination starts to run so fast and wide and I cant sleep then... :p
but with a walkthough it isnt scary :p

I definetly love SH because it has no "suddenly something appears" type of scary content but still it creeps you badly

Level 22
i jumped when the berzerker in gears of war 1 came chargin right into my face.
when i was younger, i was afraid to go deeper down into Halo during The Silent Cartographer.
I sort of jump during shooters when im turning a corner and people turn the corner at the same time and whoever has the quicker finger wins.

Level 34
Dreadnought[dA];1018655 said:
Diablo 1, the Butcher.

Games over folks, go piss your pants in terror.

Oh my, I'm so afraid. I'm so afraid of a 2D pixelized red monster, oh help me. Go find me something real scary now `-´

Level 15
Interesting thread... Well, here's what I think about some scary parts in the games that I can remember.

Dino Crisis - In certain dark areas, Velociraptors, and sometimes the T-Rex quickly ambush the player.

Dino Crisis 2 - Well, there aren't many dark areas, but while underwater, plenty of Mosasaurs, and later a Plesiosaurus creep in. And much later, another version of me (The Giganotosaurus, obviously.) savagely kills the T-Rex and goes after the player at the Missile Silo Site.

Dino Crisis 3 - I wish I could've played that game, but genetically modified dinosaurs sound creepy. You'll probably notice that the one in my avatar (For now.) is a Cebalrai (A genetically modified three-headed Giganotosaur.) (But I only have one head and that's enough, thank you.)

Doom 3 - Yep, scary too. Zombies, demons, evil robotic creatures, all of them -- I think the creepiest thing would be Dr. Betruger (Creepy laughters, especially low pitched voice.), who will later morph into a giant gargoyle-like demon (Which must be put down in the Resurrection of Evil Expansion Pack.).

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of Earth - Now this game is deliciously scary. Besides the Innsmouth citizens going after the player with knifes and guns, the slimy creature (Shoggoth.) in the Marsh's Refinery who goes after the player at an alarming speed! Also Dagon, Hydra and the floating Poly-thingy. I wonder if this game has a continued version, because the only one left to witness is Cthulhu.

Last edited:
Level 2
I don't ever recall being truly scared by a game. Maybe disturbed or disgusted, but not necessarily scared. Here are all the allegedly scary games I have played:

- Resident Evil 4 (despite what everyone seems to say, this game was not scary at all. Disturbing or surprising at some moments, but not scary. There is a big difference)

- Bioshock (not all that many people say this game was scary, but I picked up more of a scary vibe from it then RE. Despite the game feeling more scary, I wasn't actually scared)

I know I'm missing something, but thats all I can think of right now. The problem with scary games is that developers need to realise the difference between being scary and being surprising. Something that is surprising is, walking down a quiet corridor, and suddenly an loud explosion comes out right in front of you. That will certainly get your heart rate up, but that definitely is not scary. Being truly scary takes a lot more effort. I think the older RE games knew how to be truly scary, but they look way too dated to take seriously anymore.

Level 19
For some strange reason, I do not scared those scary games whenever I switch on cheats. Probably because the only thing I afraid of was to game over.. XD

Yeah, I guess the only reason people get scared of games is because they are immersed in them, and if nothing can hurt you... Well that kills the immersion aspect and, if my theory is correct, the fear

Level 11
Gears of War 1, the part where the first berserker appears.
Seriously, after watching the cutscene where the poor unknown guy gets slaughtered by the berserker, I took about 2 minutes to reach the part where it started the chase, I was looking around every freaking corner, ready to fire every single weapon I had... oh, and run like hell.

Level 7
Yep Theif deadly shadows did it for me, the part where you have to venture into the ship and fight the zombies, I have an unatural fear of zombies or anything zombie related so I had to uninstall the game after that lol.

Theres been afew times whilst I've been playing oblivion that realy scared me but nothing like Theif, there was one bit in Oblivion where this vampire was just staring at me, it was way creepier than all the other times where they usualy just run at me with their knife out.

Level 8
The remake of the original Resident Evil scared the living hell out of me the first time I played it, when I was like 9. Like when you go on the balcony and find Forest Speyer dead, and then you leave, and he gets up and chases you, or when you find the guy who hung himself, and when you go in the room again, he's gone, and he attacks you. Lisa Trevor to this day still creeps me out with her moaning and her flesh mask. Those were pretty damn scary at that age, especially since I usually played at night, because my parents didn't know I had it. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.