• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SC2 contests?

Read the first post!

• No SC2 contests (keep it as it is)

Votes: 87 19.7%
  • Do a few SC2 contests but keep it mostly WC3

Votes: 197 44.6%
  • Do an even mixture of both

Votes: 136 30.8%
  • Do more SC2 contests and only a few WC3 ones

Votes: 31 7.0%
  • SC2 contests only

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Undecided / don't care / other

Votes: 27 6.1%

• Total voters
Level 49
Well, it really doesn't matter to me. I do not particularly care about spell contests and map contests and whatnot unless they give amazing results. And in that case, an equal amount means more awesome stuff, means better. So yeah, 50\50 I suppose.

I don't believe that will have any impact on the balance between SC2 modders and WC3 modders, though.

Level 22
This thread should just be ended and the mods should render judgement before a flame-war starts, I would assume the mods already know what they are going to do along with Ralle of course.

All I'm saying is after a while SC2 will over-take WC3 and this site will completely convert to SC2 and WC3 modders will be fucked. I just don't want to see that happen.

Level 19
This thread should just be ended and the mods should render judgement before a flame-war starts, I would assume the mods already know what they are going to do along with Ralle of course.

All I'm saying is after a while SC2 will over-take WC3 and this site will completely convert to SC2 and WC3 modders will be fucked. I just don't want to see that happen.

Not so true there, Warcraft III survived for many years compared to the old Starcraft, so I presume it'll stay on since Players are more used to its editor and programs.

Level 3
50/50 from me..
SC2 and WC3 are different
SC2 = Modern Warfare RTS
WC3 = Medieval RTS
balance are the best..than sacrifice one of the best RTS ever(WC3 and SC2)

I'm the one who runs most of the contests around here and I like to get the community's opinion on this sort of thing.

Level 18
I voted for an even mixture of both. I don't know if it's been suggested yet, because I'm not really in the mood to check 12 pages, but we could make the contest available for both WC3 and SC2 entries. All you have to judge on is the quality compared to the average for that game. You'll need at least 1 judge for WC3 entries and 1 for SC2 entries of course. The criteria like originality and plot (for contests like the cinematic contest) will never change, because they're game-independent.

On top of that, people from both games can compete, and people who have both games will have the freedom to choose which game they prefer to use for their entry. Let's be honest: There are very popular contests, but some are not as popular as they 'deserve' to be, because not everybody can finish an entry for whatever reason they have. This would increase the amount of people who could create an entry, allowing the contests more available, so also more popular, so also more challenging!

Tell me what you think about it.

Level 3
i posted on the wrong one i vote seccond, take 1 from the first sorreh, off day

Indeed. I'd put the focus on WarCraft III only, though I'm conservative as hell. ;-)

i whould normally agree, but its there now so we may as well cater for it,
a lil'bit

not that i enter any, or am past making a polygon in milkshape 0_o in fact my next action is finding skining software

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 11
So because we as humans once rode horses everywhere, we must keep transportation 80-90% horses to honor this method that brought us so far?

Hmmm

/win

The warcraft 3 modding community is only gonna get smaller and therfor less relavent for modders. However it is still going strong so of course we shouldn't cut it loose right now. But I would hope everyone can agree that Starcraft 2 modding will outlive Warcraft 3 modding. This site SHOULD begin its transition to Starcraft 2. A transition that will be slow but steady.

Level 8
/win

The warcraft 3 modding community is only gonna get smaller and therfor less relavent for modders. However it is still going strong so of course we shouldn't cut it loose right now. But I would hope everyone can agree that Starcraft 2 modding will outlive Warcraft 3 modding. This site SHOULD begin its transition to Starcraft 2. A transition that will be slow but steady.
/StartRant

what? you mean removing Wc3 somewhere in the future?
UMAD?

Surely about 90% of the hive community Mods Wc3. 10% mods Wc3 and/or Sc2.

That 90% is NOT gonna drop below 40-50%. EVER.

/EndRant

Level 20
/win

My thinking is by the time war3 modding completely dies out, war4 will be on the horizon... :p

Level 18
I doubt it. WC3 modding is indeed the reason why this site was made, and it should stay a part of this site as long as wc3 modding is still performed. However, it's getting significantly less popular, and the arrival of SC2 (along with a better editor then the WC3 editor) pulled down that popularity rate even further. It's simply unavoidable that SC2 modding will have dozens of times more practitioners then WC3 modding, very soon. So in my opinion, we should definitely have at least a part of this site dedicated to SC2 modding.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think WC3 modders will be disadvantaged in any way if we ADD a SC2 modding section. It's not going to replace it (unless the poll is bugged).

And last, but not least. There are very little differences between WC3 and SC2 modding. SC2 just allows more triggers/scripts and detailed models, but in the end you can still create a Villager model, a new skin for the Marine, a spell that causes mayhem and SFX blasts all over the place, an icon for that same spell, and everything else.

Why are you people so desperately trying to prove which type of modding is the best or which 1 was here first? Does it even matter? Both games are Blizzard products and can be modded similarly, and this site was (probably) created to help people understand the way things are modded. Do I need to say more?

I doubt it. WC3 modding is indeed the reason why this site was made, and it should stay a part of this site as long as wc3 modding is still performed. However, it's getting significantly less popular, and the arrival of SC2 (along with a better editor then the WC3 editor) pulled down that popularity rate even further. It's simply unavoidable that SC2 modding will have dozens of times more practitioners then WC3 modding, very soon. So in my opinion, we should definitely have at least a part of this site dedicated to SC2 modding.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think WC3 modders will be disadvantaged in any way if we ADD a SC2 modding section. It's not going to replace it (unless the poll is bugged).

And last, but not least. There are very little differences between WC3 and SC2 modding. SC2 just allows more triggers/scripts and detailed models, but in the end you can still create a Villager model, a new skin for the Marine, a spell that causes mayhem and SFX blasts all over the place, an icon for that same spell, and everything else.

Why are you people so desperately trying to prove which type of modding is the best or which 1 was here first? Does it even matter? Both games are Blizzard products and can be modded similarly, and this site was (probably) created to help people understand the way things are modded. Do I need to say more?

/what I've been saying /win

Level 22
actually I'd say a good portion of this site is only still here because they either have obligations or they have friends here, and maybe occasionally participate in contests

Really? I thought it was religious denomination. :3

I think WC4 might be like SC2 or one of the late Halo games, you figure it will never come out, and it doesn't, for about ten years. They'll probably revive Warcraft sooner because it is more powerful and has more routes than Starcraft.
I'm still wondering if Diablo has a bigger fan base than Warcraft.

@Anti Bodies: WC3 will have a much, much, much, stronger modding community than Starcraft 2 over the next 1-3 years. It's going to take a while for SC2 to overtake WC3 do to how many problems SC2 has at this point, I'm not even sure if SC2 will beat WC3 at all. SC2 will probably be over-shadowed by Diablo 3, before it can take off.