• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[SC2] - The very first Terraining contest -- Theme discussion -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
f35eaa3b-197a-0cd1-703a-38d64cf89a64-banner.jpg

Introduction

Starcraft 2 terraining is at its beginning and not yet established at all. There are not too many ressources yet, but I guess it can be compensated.
Warcraft 3 terraining had to start of aswell some day to be were it is now.
So I want to establish a base for SC2 terraining and maybe even for the SC2 section of the hive in general.

Therefor I plan on hosting the very first THW terraining contest for SC2 rather soon.

Chapter I

This thread is meant to search for some first ideas for a fitting theme to start off with. Please add some extra lines of explanation to the themes you suggest.

Possible Judges and support

Since SC2 does differ from Wc3 in some points I would prefer to have judges that do have SC2 on their own and are known as skilled terrainers (wc3 most likely. Everyone who is interested in helping making this happen and is going along with what is said above, please contact me or post in this thread.

Additional Information

I want this contest to go parallel to WC3 terraining contests, so noone has to fear about his personal favourite to be disadvantaged or something. Also I guess terraining contest have enough acitivity to do not suffer from two parallel contests at the same time. As there is some waiting time between contests anyways, it might be a good way to close this gap anyways.

Last words

I hope to find some interest for it, so POST, will you.

Level 27
Finally! Finally! Finally!

I'm not sure if I'll have time by then, but I guess there is a possibility I might join as a judge - I got some experience with terraining, and with working with Starcraft 2 editor.

You know, about the theme... what about something simple, and applyable to all three races (Seriously, one-race contest would be a terrible idea)?

What about:
-Campaing planets: You have to recreate a terrain that would demonstrate one of the planets from SC2 campaing.
-Conflict: You have to create a terrain that would demonstrate a conflict between two opposing factions.
-Space: You have to create a terrain of the space - space station, some spaceship battle, or something like that.

Level 27
No, I insist we should never make race-centered contests and that all the contests would have theme that could be applied to any race. All three races are completely different, and all are approximatelly popular, so like shall we say if we'd make contest dedicated to one of races, we would decrease the amount of people who would like to partipiciate.

Level 23
I do agree with fladdermasken, what makes wc3 terraining so great nowadays is that it has extended from standard wc3 look to more. So this needs to be an aim for SC2 contests aswell, since this grants success.

Right now there are only very few custom models for SC2, so our main question should be, what is doable out of everything. I guess something around nature would be a fairly easy but also "more than space" start.

What do you think ?

Level 14
Well I'd like to do it with other such Hive-Hosted SC Contests as well, and since I expect other contests would be more difficult as resources would actually have to be made, I wanted to be able to increase the monetary value based on the difficulty. 8-6-3 is fine.

~Asomath

Level 23
I propose that the goal of the contest be to create a terrain that would like look a completely new tileset, in other words, make a planet the style of which differs greatly from the originals, using only ingame stuff.

Level 6
I have a proposition for a theme that will inspire warcraft 3 terrainers to join in a Starcraft II context. The objective of this theme is to render users more friendly with the Starcraft II editor while still in a Warcraft III atmosphere.

The contest will allow the contestant to choose between one of the 18 warcraft 3 areas available in the warcraft 3 editor(Ashenvale ->village fall).

The contestant shall make a duplicate which fits the atmosphere and environment of the selected area. This may be seen as vague, but will allow the contestant to develop his creativity -as every contestant will present his personal vision of an area- along with his/her knowledge of The Starcraft II editor.

I personally believe that such a theme can make an excellent transition between classic warcraft III contests and the new Starcraft II contests. It also goes beyond the basic uses of the Starcraft II editor which is to create a Space-like environment.

Thank you.

Level 27
Oh come on people. Think outside the box!
we need a wider theme for the first contest - if this one fails, we might just fail with this entire SC2 contest idea...

So I suggest something that would allow people to use all the models of Starcraft 2 aviable - and by that I mean all the plant variations (Just jungle would limit it to more exotic, tropical plants) and all the structures and stuff (We can't currently recreate Warcraft 3 because we don't have any medieval models, so making Warcraft 3 contest would only result in some nature-realted terrains like forests, and probably recreation of Sunker Ruins with the Protoss ruins).

Hey, what about a Playable terrain contests with free theme? You know, you can make any theme you want, but the terrain must be playable.

Level 9
we need a wider theme for the first contest - if this one fails, we might just fail with this entire SC2 contest idea...

So I suggest something that would allow people to use all the models of Starcraft 2 aviable - and by that I mean all the plant variations (Just jungle would limit it to more exotic, tropical plants) and all the structures and stuff (We can't currently recreate Warcraft 3 because we don't have any medieval models, so making Warcraft 3 contest would only result in some nature-realted terrains like forests, and probably recreation of Sunker Ruins with the Protoss ruins).

Hey, what about a Playable terrain contests with free theme? You know, you can make any theme you want, but the terrain must be playable.

There are foliages for the terrain too. (You meant it too?) Making a terrain which that should look more Wc3 in Sc2 sounds a lot lack of models. But nature can be really used.
The playable thing sounds good idea. I should vote it.

Level 6

haven't a playable terrain contest been done already?

Btw i don't see the problem with people recreating stuff like sunken ruins with protoss ruins, and the most beautiful warcraft III terrains are done with natural terrains. There is also a much wider perspective than the one you have, people can remake outland, northrend, underground caves, typical natural environment such as in village and lordaeron tilesets, areas like thousand needles in wow, not just plain boring forests...

Level 23
All models have to be able to everyone like it is in the standard wc3 contests aswell, i guess. So that everyone has a fair chance at least in models choose.

I appreciate the whole discussion right now, great!
I would like to keep it a bit more so that more ideas pop into it ;) So everyone, thoughts, thoughts, thoughts!!!

Level 14
How about (Since its the first contest) a COOL Futuristic Terrain,what starcraft was meant to be

Level 4
How about a factory? Terraining Contest 1: Terrain a Factory. This could be a futuristic factory, a chinese sweatshop, a warcraft III weapons factory, whatever. This would mean you probably have to make everything indoors, and would require a real attention to detail.

Might be too hard for a first contest though.

Level 16
How about a factory? Terraining Contest 1: Terrain a Factory. This could be a futuristic factory, a chinese sweatshop, a warcraft III weapons factory, whatever. This would mean you probably have to make everything indoors, and would require a real attention to detail.

i like it :), would be something good to make, but lets wait with it :3 there arent so many things to do it with yet..

Level 27

Ahem, we do have models for futuristic factory, but I have no idea how can we make a chinese sweatshop or warcraft 3 weapons factory. We have no models for that, and if immprovizati0ons looked good in older engine like WC3, they will look lame with more modern graphics if you'll use marine shield as medieval shield.
And limiting it to indoors is anothe rlimitaiton just like the race ones and nature ones - that doesn't use the entire potential, we need something that wouldn't tie up people to specific doodad list, we need something that would allow to use any terrain set or any doodads and models.

Level 4
No offence tieno but we were making chinese sweatshops wih starcraft 1, which didn't have ANY custom doodads. Having a limitation is good, or else you could just have a contest in which you go out and do anything. And you'd be surprised how good people are at using non-thematic elements in a theme and making it look really good.

And whomever makes a chinese sweatshop with their skill and imagination will have a standout entry from all the futuristic factories, too. It promotes skill.

Level 27
No offence tleno but we were making chinese sweatshops wih starcraft 1, which didn't have ANY custom doodads. Having a limitation is good, or else you could just have a contest in which you go out and do anything. And you'd be surprised how good people are at using non-thematic elements in a theme and making it look really good.

And whomever makes a chinese sweatshop with their skill and imagination will have a standout entry from all the futuristic factories, too. It promotes skill.

That was an immprovization. And now, we are making a terrain, not some map where you definetly need a sweatshop. We need a terrain that would look beautyful, and we can't just put some computer table and say it's a workbench.

Oh and Alagremm's post-apocalyptic theme sounds awesome, plus it offers some freedom for any terrain type, and any race (Destroy Protos planet, infested world, some lava world or destroyed city - imagine how many possibilities)!

Level 23
Yea! Imagine a scary, dark, dystopic city with master race(of protoss using prisoner zealot model) ruling human slaves! Or the post-apocalyptic ruins where mutant bountyhunters(dark templar) seek normal humans to kill, using their dogs(zerglings) to sniff them out!

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Proper jazz night in the neon lights. Contestants must portray a cruel night for a struggling musician trying to endure frostbite.

In all seriousness, some form of emotion-invoking city piece wouldn't be too far fetched a theme.
It's also rather artistic.

Level 14
How about a HoTS Concept?
Yeah that be great! Some Tribute before HoTS Release.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Remember that you have more camera and lighting control than in WC3.

Depth of Field allows you to simulate focuse/Fstop so that distant and close objects are blurred while only objects in a certain range are sharp.

Field of View allows you to change the angle of the camera's origin allowing for wide or narrow angle shots.

In lighting you can now control the tints of the various omni lights. Shadows are real so can have their angles customized. You also have access to HDR meaning more realistic brightness.

You can even animate stuff inside the editor with the right actor events.

Status
Not open for further replies.