• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SC2 - Contests - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
I am not a fan of sc2 yet, but it has to be my mission to open the terrain board up for it. Trying to start off with a contest here is the first thread in that direction: SC2 - The Awakening :p

However to make all that happen, I need your input, therefor this thread is reserved for all the discussion that deals with the SC2 matter, especially the contests.

Like I try to do, please try to keep your personal view on SC2 terraining compared to WC3 terraining out of the discussion itself ;) Not that I doubt you wouldn't, but I need to act badass sometimes :p

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I think you're doing right by the members who actually are interested in moving on, but I won't join as said before; individual preferences and no licensed version of the editor etc.

For a first theme to that contest, I'd like something not space-related to inspire creativity and new techniques.

Level 23
It seems like the first question that is developing is wether it should be a playable contest or an "art" contest with standard terraining contest terms. Thoughts on that?
What do you think is more attractive for most user? And what do you think is the better base for a successful contest in the early stage of Sc2 terraining we are currently at ?

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I'm in favor of art personally, again individual preferences.

Point is, it would be borderline hypocritical for me to dictate anything if I'm not entering the contest.
Make the call based on what's best for the general public (note: public being respectable users and not various asshats :p)

Level 36
I'd say this is a good move, while terraining in Sc2 is tedious and not at all as fun as Wc3, there is still potential in the editor, and I reckon it'll become better with every new expansion. In the end we might just have a Sc2 editor that is just as good, or better, than the Wc3 one, terraining vice.

Now, how I see it is that most "terrainers" around the hive like more to make terrain art, than playable terrains, and thus if it is these people you want to envoke interest towards you should by all means go art style, and I reckon I would join in as well if that direction is taken, simply stating.

However, there is the implication that most "terrainers" like the wc3 editor more than the sc2 one, and thus most terrainers probably doesn't even have Sc2. Whereas if you set the theme to playable terrain, I guess you might get a wider range of people who actually want to enter, not necessarily terrainers, but also map makers and first timers.

Level 36
As I'm not really active anymore I don't suppose my opinion will be of too much consequence, but I'm in favor of a 50/50 split.

One cinematic, one playable, one cinematic, one playable, etc.

That way terrainers are encouraged to get good at both aspects which are equally important in being a good level designer.

(I think "cinematic" is probably a good term for "art" terrains)

Level 36
"As I'm not really active anymore I don't suppose my opinion will be of too much consequence."

What kind of stupid comment is that? >.>
- I would sooner listen to you than probably any other person in the terraining section, and I do hope M0rbid feels the same.

And yes, that is a very valid suggestion, I concur.

Status
Not open for further replies.