• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sc2 Editor or Warcraft 3 Editor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
Simple put, I am creating a master project, which I plan to use one of either editor as my basis for testing scenario, however I been discussing it with a friend and I am in doubt as to which I should select as I have little knowledge of the Sc2 editor.

Basically I need to be able to use third person camera and key controls - Likely with a mouse controlled look of sorts as well. (This is the ideal case).

I planned to use Wc3 because I am much more familiar with it and it has a ton of material to it. However according to my friend one can easily use Wc3 stuff in the Sc2 editor - Correct?

Also as for functions I am also stumbled upon which one would allow me both the easiest creation, but also the most freedom.

I need to be able to create a fairly good looking scenario/landscape and have events take place in them. Such as animals wandering around, falling tree's or similar. I also need to be able to interact with the environment (primarily trees - with some item creation and such going on).

Ideally I would also be able to remove most of the HUD or customize for my own use (reduced size - Removed certain things (like the map)).

I know how to do some, though not all in Wc3 - But I believe that for instance keyinput would function better in the Sc2 editor?

I had planned to use regions to make checks as to player movement, does SC2 offer a better or similar alternative?

So yea, basically I am asking what you believe would best allow for my requirements.

Level 8
On the other hand, the sc2 object editor is very hard to pick up quickly. Given your needs, however, I would still lean towards sc2 being the right choice.

Level 35
I suggest sc2 no mater how hard it is, mostly because wc3 is dead.
Also notice that Blizzard will release few more sc2 expansions and work on updating sc2 in next few years, so maybe even improve editor.

My opinion.

Its for the next 2 months, so eventual updates in the next years won't matter. But yea - It does sound like I should go with SC2 - Will just have to rely on this community for help :xxd:

Level 2
Well there is also HoN, but I don't know. Making a 3rd person games with "WSAD" movement in a engine primarily designed for RTS isn't always the best of ideas.

But SC2 has a lot of examples, documentation to work off. What exactly is the objectives of this master project?

Level 2
Nah, don't know a thing about HON - So I'll stick to more familiar ground. As for the project its a little hard to explain in a few words, but it can be considered a scientific research into gameplay mechanics and storytelling elements.

Gameplay, HoN be second to none with it's engine capabilities, a game based on dota where you have full access and control of the skills of 115+ heroes.
Story however, the tools just don't exist for it atm. SC2 and Skyrim would be much better platform in that regards.

Although the only text based story I've enjoyed my life was Planescape torment and Baldursgate. These days it's all about high production, cinematic, and lots and lots of voice acting.

Level 35
Gameplay, HoN be second to none with it's engine capabilities, a game based on dota where you have full access and control of the skills of 115+ heroes.

Highly doubt that, as I would easily find better engine capabilities with modding tools. And gameplay is also not really anything other than dota - And I am not a fan - nor would that matter anything for what I need it for :wink:.

And I have no need for heroes nor is the skills that different compared to what one can do with wc3 or SC2 - But I am glad you like it.

At any rate I got my primary question answered and I caught DGS on SC2 so also got an answer to my other question. (Now I just have to re-install the damn thing, since some odd error occurred making me unable to run it, after I had no problems for 2 days :eekani:)

Status
Not open for further replies.